Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Ben Davis to host IMG Academy

18 hours ago, GoodKn19ht said:

Is there an article to verify this? I think IMG isn't apart of the FHSAA...I think that would make them ineligible to compete against BD. Could be wrong. 

I thought that was the case as well, but a poster on another site informed me that they are a member in good standing, but do not play in the state tournament.   Apparently they have some sort of understanding with the state association that allows them an exemption for OOS games with the understanding that they will not play in the state tournament.   I had also heard that St. Frances Academy of Baltimore was trying to get a game with Ben Davis. 

Here is that post:

IMG is not independent. They are full members of FHSAA. They just have a deal where they aren't allowed to play in the state tournament, but they do have to follow FHSAA rules in terms of player eligibility (practice time, age of player, years eligible to play etc) The National team competes as an independent, but they have to follow FHSAA rules pertaining to high school player eligibility.

8 hours ago, Bobref said:

When people think of IMG, they think of their “national” team, the one that goes everywhere. But they also have team that plays mostly other Florida schools. It’s the latter that’s coming to Indy, I believe.

From the IMG website:

“With three teams competing across various levels, IMG Academy football will identify which program is the best fit for prospective student-athletes grades 6-12 as well as for post-graduate players based on their age, skill level, position, and overall goals. IMG Academy is a full member of the Florida High School Athletic Association (FHSAA), and the National Team competes as an independent. IMG follows the practice requirements and standards issued by the FHSAA.”

https://www.imgacademy.com/boarding-school/athletics/football

I’m not so sure.

11 hours ago, Bobref said:

When people think of IMG, they think of their “national” team, the one that goes everywhere. But they also have team that plays mostly other Florida schools. It’s the latter that’s coming to Indy, I believe.

To your point, I had no clue about the additional varsity teams at IMG until a couple of years ago when Brey was hired as the head coach there. I'm not even sure they had the second varsity team at that time.  

19 hours ago, temptation said:

They’ve traveled similar distances to play competition much inferior to BD.

Last season they played Oakdale (CT) St. Thomas More and Middletown (DE).   They also played West Toronto Prep, but since they were ahead 96-0 at half, the game was called.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, whiteshoes said:

Last season they played Oakdale (CT) St. Thomas More and Middletown (DE).   They also played West Toronto Prep, but since they were ahead 96-0 at half, the game was called.

Don't forget Bishop Sycamore. :classic_laugh:

• Haha 2

I love this for Indiana football. I think this is a great opportunity win or lose (they will do better than BS did). I talked with Coach Simmons about this briefly yesterday and basically it was an opporunity he felt they couldn't pass up. You want to be the best measure yourself against one of the best. I believe it will probably be the national team, at least I hope it will be. I am looking forward to this game for sure!

20 hours ago, MonkeyButt said:

I love this for Indiana football. I think this is a great opportunity win or lose (they will do better than BS did). I talked with Coach Simmons about this briefly yesterday and basically it was an opporunity he felt they couldn't pass up. You want to be the best measure yourself against one of the best. I believe it will probably be the national team, at least I hope it will be. I am looking forward to this game for sure!

Wow! I guess they really got tired of losing to that team from the south side!  At first thought, you'd think... wow, hate to lose that CG/BD rivalry game.... but it has been so one-sided recently not much of a rivalry anymore.  Embarassing for them I guess. Good luck vs. the Academy from the deep south though.  Better optics losing to them.

Great news is that it opens up another possibility for CG/Roncalli reunion in the future!!

• Haha 1

On 1/31/2023 at 8:40 AM, StatQueen said:

Wow! I guess they really got tired of losing to that team from the south side!  At first thought, you'd think... wow, hate to lose that CG/BD rivalry game.... but it has been so one-sided recently not much of a rivalry anymore.  Embarassing for them I guess. Good luck vs. the Academy from the deep south though.  Better optics losing to them.

Great news is that it opens up another possibility for CG/Roncalli reunion in the future!!

Sitting in the stands for some many BD vs CG games (at both venues) over the years, I sure hope that series continues.  While at times each team has ran off a few in a row, it has been a great series for quite some time.  Some incredible games over those years in the regular season and the playoffs.

Would love to see CG and Roncalli bring that game back.  2 major southside programs, with huge gates.  Roncalli has a number of kids that come out of White River township that attend a number of local parishes including St. Francis and Clare.

• Like 1