Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

NFL Off Season 2023

Bobref

A number of those fumbles can be attributed to the piss-poor way that most running quarterbacks, and even some running backs,  tend to hold the football when they are scrambling and sometimes even when they are not scrambling.  

Case point:  Jalen Hurt's egregious fumble in the recent Super Bowl:  https://youtu.be/BWkt79xkd00

2 hours ago, TrenchWarfare58 said:

21 INTs and 28 Fumbles in less than 2 full seasons would be my starting point. 

1 hour ago, Boilernation said:

With possibly the worst O-Line and WR Corps ever assembled. A little bit of truth and a little bit of hyperbole in that sentence.

Regardless, there’s no doubt he took a big leap forward last season. They just need to keep him on that trajectory.

• 2 weeks later...

So, the QB dominoes are starting to topple. The situation of Lamar Jackson fascinates me. A former MVP, entering his prime years. A unique weapon. The Ravens slap the non-exclusive franchise tag on him, so the rest of the League can tell both them and Lamar what the market says he’s worth. Reportedly, he wants more than DeShaun Watson’s “outlier” deal from the Browns. Yet, already, 5-6 teams who are supposedly looking for QBs have said they are not interested. That’s odd. Does anyone else smell a new collusion case by the NFLPA in the making?

6 hours ago, Bobref said:

So, the QB dominoes are starting to topple. The situation of Lamar Jackson fascinates me. A former MVP, entering his prime years. A unique weapon. The Ravens slap the non-exclusive franchise tag on him, so the rest of the League can tell both them and Lamar what the market says he’s worth. Reportedly, he wants more than DeShaun Watson’s “outlier” deal from the Browns. Yet, already, 5-6 teams who are supposedly looking for QBs have said they are not interested. That’s odd. Does anyone else smell a new collusion case by the NFLPA in the making?

QB’s like Jackson are fun to watch, but history says you won’t win championships with them. 

2 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

QB’s like Jackson are fun to watch, but history says you won’t win championships with them. 

There haven’t been very many who have tried, so it’s a pretty small sample size. He’s a unicorn.

12 hours ago, Bobref said:

I think the hang up is that not only does he want Watson type money; he wants a guaranteed contract like Watson has too. besides the ridiculous amount of money the Browns agreed to pay him, guaranteeing the entire contract was probably the dumbest move in the deal. 

1 hour ago, Irishman said:

I think the hang up is that not only does he want Watson type money; he wants a guaranteed contract like Watson has too. besides the ridiculous amount of money the Browns agreed to pay him, guaranteeing the entire contract was probably the dumbest move in the deal. 

I can see him and the Ravens reaching impasse, and the Ravens saying “we’ll use the non-exclusive tag and see where the market values him, and we’ll match it.” That’s if they really, really think the Watson contract is an outlier. But there’s a lot of risk involved. If somebody throws Watson money at him, the Ravens either pay it or give up a franchise QB for 2 first round draft choices, about half of what they’d get for him in a straight up trade.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

I’ll take the 6’6” drop back/shotgun guys.

This guy (6'4"/244) ruled qb's at the recent Combine. Colts probably wouldn't even need to make any moves in order to get him with Stroud and Young in the mix. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/florida-qb-anthony-richardson-stuns-nfl-combine-with-443-40-yard-dash-record-setting-jumps-224728576.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=fb&tsrc=fb

Here’s a 3 team trade proposal I saw online. Could this happen?

Bears acquire Jackson, No. 22 overall pick in 2023 (via Ravens), 2024 second-round pick (via Colts), 2025 third-round pick (via Colts)

Ravens acquire QB Justin Fields (via Bears), No. 4 overall pick in 2023 (via Colts), 2024 first-round pick (via Colts)

Colts acquire No. 1 overall pick in 2023 (via Bears), 2024 fourth-round pick (via Ravens), 2025 fourth-round pick (via Ravens)

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

Here’s a 3 team trade proposal I saw online. Could this happen?

Bears acquire Jackson, No. 22 overall pick in 2023 (via Ravens), 2024 second-round pick (via Colts), 2025 third-round pick (via Colts)

Ravens acquire QB Justin Fields (via Bears), No. 4 overall pick in 2023 (via Colts), 2024 first-round pick (via Colts)

Colts acquire No. 1 overall pick in 2023 (via Bears), 2024 fourth-round pick (via Ravens), 2025 fourth-round pick (via Ravens)

Why in the world would the Bears want an aging and increasingly brittle Jackson over Fields?

3 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Why in the world would the Bears want an aging and increasingly brittle Jackson over Fields?

Most QBs in the League are injured at one time or another, so I don’t consider him more “brittle” than most. The games he missed at the end of the season were more about contract than injury. And as for “aging,” he just turned 26. He is now what Justin Fields will be in 3 years. 

2 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Most QBs in the League are injured at one time or another, so I don’t consider him more “brittle” than most. The games he missed at the end of the season were more about contract than injury. And as for “aging,” he just turned 26. He is now what Justin Fields will be in 3 years. 

Rushing QB's will always be more injury prone than your classic 'pocket passer' type.  Therefore a young age is much, much more important.  A rushing QB at 26 is like a 33-34 year old traditional QB.

28 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Rushing QB's will always be more injury prone than your classic 'pocket passer' type.  Therefore a young age is much, much more important.  A rushing QB at 26 is like a 33-34 year old traditional QB.

It’s the new NFL. With the prevalence of athletic QBs and the RPO game in the college ranks, the Brady-like, stand tall in the pocket, traditional dropback passing QB will become as uncommon as running QBs were in the NFL 15 years ago.

14 minutes ago, Bobref said:

It’s the new NFL. With the prevalence of athletic QBs and the RPO game in the college ranks, the Brady-like, stand tall in the pocket, traditional dropback passing QB will become as uncommon as running QBs were in the NFL 15 years ago.

Exactly.  And their lifespan as productive QB's will be reduced, due to the increased physical abuse such a running QB will take.  Can you really see Lamar Jackson playing at a high level into his 40's?

3 hours ago, Bobref said:

When one wins a championship we can revisit. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Exactly.  And their lifespan as productive QB's will be reduced, due to the increased physical abuse such a running QB will take.  Can you really see Lamar Jackson playing at a high level into his 40's?

3 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

When one wins a championship we can revisit. 

My point is the day is soon coming when QBs who are athletic and used as weapons in the running game will be the norm in the NFL. Muda, weren’t you ogling the Richardson kid from FL just the other day? Will it result in shorter careers and/or less production due to injury unavailability? Remains to be seen.

17 hours ago, Bobref said:

My point is the day is soon coming when QBs who are athletic and used as weapons in the running game will be the norm in the NFL. Muda, weren’t you ogling the Richardson kid from FL just the other day? Will it result in shorter careers and/or less production due to injury unavailability? Remains to be seen.

No, I don't recall 'ogling' young Mr. Richardson. He may be a fine QB in the NFL.  Is he a current good fit for the Chicago Bear?  No, they have their franchise quarterback.

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

Sorry. That was @gonzoron.

Richardson is taller, thicker and faster than Jackson. I think he'd make an excellent pick for the Colts without them needing to trade the farm to draft him. I don't care what the Bears do. Never been a fan in 67 years, not gonna start being one now.

5 hours ago, gonzoron said:

Richardson is taller, thicker and faster than Jackson. I think he'd make an excellent pick for the Colts without them needing to trade the farm to draft him. I don't care what the Bears do. Never been a fan in 67 years, not gonna start being one now.

I think after the Combine, Richardson is going to be the guy who starts climbing up people’s draft boards. But I don’t think he’s the kind of rookie you can trot out there Week One. He’s a project.

Edited by Bobref
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I think after the Combine, Richardson is going to be the guy who starts climbing up people’s draft boards. But I don’t think he’s the kind of rookie you can trot out there Week One. He’s a project.

Bears have reportedly inked a deal with Carolina.

8 hours ago, gonzoron said:

3 hours ago, Bobref said:

That didn’t take long.

https://247sports.com/Article/2023-NFL-Draft-Anthony-Richardson-usurps-Bryce-Young-CJ-Stroud-as-No-1-QB-in-latest-CBS-Sports-mock-205147850/

And the Jimmy Garoppolo domino falls.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2023-nfl-free-agency-raiders-to-sign-jimmy-garoppolo-as-qb-exits-49ers-after-six-seasons/

Raiders to sign Jimmy Garoppolo as QB exits 49ers after six seasons

Garoppolo has reunited with Josh McDaniels

By Jeff Kerr

The Las Vegas Raiders have found their starting quarterback. On Day 1 of the legal tampering period in the NFL, the club has reached an agreement with former San Francisco 49ers signal-caller Jimmy Garoppolo, according to CBS Sports NFL Insider Jonathan Jones. Specifically, ESPN reports that the Raiders are giving Garoppolo a three-year deal with $67.5 million and includes $34 million guaranteed. 

Garoppolo has a connection with Raiders head coach Josh McDaniels, who was his offensive coordinator with the New England Patriots when he first entered the NFL until he was dealt to the San Francisco 49ers in 2017. He started just two games during their shared tenure in Foxborough as Garoppolo primarily sat behind Tom Brady. However, when Brady was serving his four-game suspension in 2016, McDaniels was able to work with Garoppolo as his starter before he went down with a shoulder injury. In that brief showing with McDaniels, Garoppolo threw four touchdowns over the course of two games and completed 68.3% of his throws. 

More recently, Garoppolo went 7-3 in his 10 starts for the San Francisco 49ers this past season, completing 67.2% of his passes for 2,437 yards with 16 touchdowns to four interceptions for a 103.0 passer rating. The 49ers were 38-17 in Garoppolo's six seasons with the team, as Garoppolo compiled a 99.2 passer rating in his 45 starts. 

Health has been the biggest issues for Garoppolo throughout his career. When he's on the field, however, he does lead his team to victory more often than not. He is one of seven starting quarterbacks with a career win percentage of .700 or better since the merger (minimum 50 starts). When he played at least 15 games for San Francisco, they either advanced to the Super Bowl or the NFC Championship. 

Garoppolo now comes to a Raiders team where he'll be taking over from Derek Carr, who the club released earlier this offseason. The 31-year-old not only slots himself in with his former offensive coordinator, but is inserted into an offense with some dynamic pass-catching weapons like Davante Adams, Darren Waller, and Hunter Renfrow.