Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

NFL Off Season 2023

Bobref

Balance of power in the AFC may have shifted overnight. Chiefs lose their All-Pro left tackle Orlando Brown to free agency. He signs with their principal rival, the Bengals. Great move by the Bengals to keep Joe Burrow upright. Whatever “gap” there was between the Chiefs and Bengals just narrowed significantly.

41 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Balance of power in the AFC may have shifted overnight. Chiefs lose their All-Pro left tackle Orlando Brown to free agency. He signs with their principal rival, the Bengals. Great move by the Bengals to keep Joe Burrow upright. Whatever “gap” there was between the Chiefs and Bengals just narrowed significantly.

And the Jets legitimately join Buffalo as a contender to the Bengals/Chiefs with the anticipating trade for Rodgers. That team was a QB away from being very solid last year.

2 hours ago, Boilernation said:

And the Jets legitimately join Buffalo as a contender to the Bengals/Chiefs with the anticipating trade for Rodgers. That team was a QB away from being very solid last year.

Frankly, I’m not sold on Rogers’ ability to lead a team through the inevitable adversity they will encounter during the long regular season and in the playoffs. Not sure how well his hand-picked list of free agent cronies will sell in the locker room if they don’t come out of the gate hot. Bottom line — I don’t trust him. The Jets may have been a QB away, but I don’t believe it’s that particular QB.

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

Frankly, I’m not sold on Rogers’ ability to lead a team through the inevitable adversity they will encounter during the long regular season and in the playoffs. Not sure how well his hand-picked list of free agent cronies will sell in the locker room if they don’t come out of the gate hot. Bottom line — I don’t trust him. The Jets may have been a QB away, but I don’t believe it’s that particular QB.

Totally see your point of view. I just have a gut feeling he'll create a way to play with a major chip on his shoulder and prove certain people wrong. Totally seems like a boom or bust situation. 

1 hour ago, Boilernation said:

Totally see your point of view. I just have a gut feeling he'll create a way to play with a major chip on his shoulder and prove certain people wrong. Totally seems like a boom or bust situation. 

Aged former Super Bowl quarterbacks haven't fared so well the last 2 years. Maybe Rodgers can buck the trend.

• 4 weeks later...

Eagles sign Jalen Hurts to a 5 yr., $255 million extension. The important part is $179 million guaranteed. If Hurts couldn’t get a fully guaranteed deal coming off a career year and MVP-worthy season, what does that tell Lamar Jackson about his holding out for a fully guaranteed Deshaun Watson-like deal?

Edited by Bobref

15 hours ago, Bobref said:

Eagles sign Jalen Hurts to a 5 yr., $255 million extension. The important part is $179 million guaranteed. If Hurts couldn’t get a fully guaranteed deal coming off a career year and MVP-worthy season, what does that tell Lamar Jackson about his holding out for a fully guaranteed Deshaun Watson-like deal?

$179MM guaranteed....70% of the total extension amount.....not bad...not bad at all.

https://images.app.goo.gl/Y2fuF9z7wygKu1iX9

18 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

$179MM guaranteed....70% of the total extension amount.....not bad...not bad at all.

https://images.app.goo.gl/Y2fuF9z7wygKu1iX9

Just now, Bobref said:

With all the guaranteed money in the first 3 yrs., I believe.

See, that’s the kind of deal Lamar should have. Essentially a fully-guaranteed 3 yr. deal … at which point, he can do it all over again if he wants. And he probably will, the way the salary cap is going to go up.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Draft picks by school.

10 – Alabama, Georgia

9 – Michigan

8 – TCU

6 – Clemson, Florida, LSU, Ohio State, Oregon, Penn State, Pitt

5 – Auburn, Maryland, Oklahoma, Purdue, South Carolina, Stanford, Tennessee, Texas

4 – Houston, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas State, North Carolina, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Ole Miss, UCLA, USC

3 – BYU, Cincinnati, Kentucky, Louisville, Miami, Michigan State, Minnesota, Old Dominion, Texas A&M, Utah, Wisconsin

On 4/18/2023 at 12:52 PM, Bobref said:

See, that’s the kind of deal Lamar should have. Essentially a fully-guaranteed 3 yr. deal … at which point, he can do it all over again if he wants. And he probably will, the way the salary cap is going to go up.

Lamar isn't worth half that. 

19 minutes ago, btownqbcoach1 said:

Lamar isn't worth half that. 

Correct me if I’m wrong, but that’s pretty much the deal he signed, isn’t it? You’re worth what the marketplace says you’re worth.

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but that’s pretty much the deal he signed, isn’t it? You’re worth what the marketplace says you’re worth.

I mean, employers make horrendous mistakes all of the time lol... so yeah, you're wrong. 

This isn't a market, this is one employer-- the Browns being absurdly stupid and then another team, the Ravens, doubling down on that. 

1 hour ago, btownqbcoach1 said:

I mean, employers make horrendous mistakes all of the time lol... so yeah, you're wrong. 

This isn't a market, this is one employer-- the Browns being absurdly stupid and then another team, the Ravens, doubling down on that. 

I don’t think so, although I’ll grant you it’s a very small marketplace (the NFL), so you can expect volatility.

How much is your house worth? It’s worth whatever someone will pay for it. That’s the very definition of “fair market value.” There is no objective standard against which a player’s “worth” can be determined. His value is determined by what someone will pay him for it.

Edited by Bobref

1 hour ago, btownqbcoach1 said:

You never answered the question. Yes, they are basically the same deal. Bobref's comparison to the housing market makes it simple to understand. Also, when you say one employer only mention one employer instead of listing two employers because that contributes to his point about it being a "market value" situation. 

1 hour ago, NeonDeion said:

You never answered the question. Yes, they are basically the same deal. Bobref's comparison to the housing market makes it simple to understand. Also, when you say one employer only mention one employer instead of listing two employers because that contributes to his point about it being a "market value" situation. 

I don't need to answer the question, we have Google. I said EMPLOYERS, and I mentioned two NFL teams, and no I don't buy his housing example whatsoever. 

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

I don’t think so, although I’ll grant you it’s a very small marketplace (the NFL), so you can expect volatility.

How much is your house worth? It’s worth whatever someone will pay for it. That’s the very definition of “fair market value.” There is no objective standard against which a player’s “worth” can be determined. His value is determined by what someone will pay him for it.

I see no market here whatsoever. We are talking about talents, QBs, and real people, not inanimate objects. My house can't blow an ACL. My house doesn't insist you change everything about your franchise to make my talents work (even those talents will be up in about 3-4 years when father time catches up)

They massively overpaid for a guy that can't stay healthy. I find it hilarious, personally. 

2 hours ago, btownqbcoach1 said:

23 minutes ago, btownqbcoach1 said:

I don't need to answer the question, we have Google. I said EMPLOYERS, and I mentioned two NFL teams, and no I don't buy his housing example whatsoever. 

Just to clarify... does the bolded wording in quote one say one employer? I just want to make sure I understood your post correctly because the use of singular and plural nouns could change the context.