Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Rules Changes for 2023

Bobref

Question

Here’s the most important. More to come soon. I’ve been stumping for this one for years.

NEWS RELEASE
 Changes in Basic Spot for Penalty Enforcement Headline 2023 High School Football Rules Changes
INDIANAPOLIS, IN (February 2, 2023) – A notable change to Rule 10 of the NFHS Football Rules Book will eliminate the excessive penalty enforcements for offensive fouls that occur behind the line of scrimmage in high school football.
This change in Rule 10-4 (Basic Spots) is one of seven revisions recommended by the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) Football Rules Committee at its January 8-10 meeting in Indianapolis. All changes were subsequently approved by the NFHS Board of Directors for the 2023 high school football season.
In a move to achieve one of the committee’s fundamental tasks of maintaining a balance between offense and defense, this revision stipulates the basic spot for enforcement of fouls behind the line of scrimmage is the previous spot rather than the spot of the foul. Current penalties for illegal kicking, batting and participation fouls, as well as provisions for offensive fouls occurring in the end zone that may result in a safety, remain intact.
As an example, with the change in Rule 10-4, a team on offense at its own 40-yard line that is called for holding 10 yards behind the line of scrimmage at its own 30-yard line, would be faced with first and 20 from its 30-yard line rather than the almost insurmountable task of first and 30 from its own 20-yard line.

8 answers to this question

7 hours ago, Bobref said:
As an example, with the change in Rule 10-4, a team on offense at its own 40-yard line that is called for holding 10 yards behind the line of scrimmage at its own 30-yard line, would be faced with first and 20 from its 30-yard line rather than the almost insurmountable task of first and 30 from its own 20-yard line.

I’m ok with the change. However this is a bad justification. 

If the offensive coordinator calls a play where a player and presumably the ball are 10 yards behind the LOS so a hold can occur should be flagged for a dumb play call. Lol

i would assume enforcement would be more efficient as well. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

If the offensive coordinator calls a play where a player and presumably the ball are 10 yards behind the LOS so a hold can occur should be flagged for a dumb play call. Lol

Think: holding by the offense in pass protection.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

Think: holding by the offense in pass protection.

I was also thinking bad snap, fake punt.....there are a lot of odd things that could happen. In over 30 years of coaching in the game, I am pretty sure I have seen them all. 🙂

49 minutes ago, Irishman said:

I was also thinking bad snap, fake punt.....there are a lot of odd things that could happen. In over 30 years of coaching in the game, I am pretty sure I have seen them all. 🙂

And just when you think that … sh*t happens.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Folks, this is hot off the presses from the NFHS Rules Interpretation Meeting held in Seattle on June 29. There is an exception to the new rule on enforcing penalties for offensive fouls that occur behind the neutral zone. In the case of intentional grounding, that foul results in loss of down at the spot of the foul, with no distance enforcement. It is not previous spot enforcement as it is with other offensive fouls behind the NZ.

3 hours ago, Bobref said:

Folks, this is hot off the presses from the NFHS Rules Interpretation Meeting held in Seattle on June 29. There is an exception to the new rule on enforcing penalties for offensive fouls that occur behind the neutral zone. In the case of intentional grounding, that foul results in loss of down at the spot of the foul, with no distance enforcement. It is not previous spot enforcement as it is with other offensive fouls behind the NZ.

Please disregard. Some questions were raised about this morning’s e-mail regarding the IG enforcement. I contacted Asst. Commissioner Faulkens, and this comes directly from him. Hopefully, this will be the final clarification. 😂

The enforcement for IG has not changed from previous years, despite the new rule changing penalty enforcement for fouls by the offense behind the neutral zone. It is still a 5 yd. penalty from the spot of the foul, plus loss of down. Sorry for the confusion.

• Haha 1