Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

PLAC-MSC 2023

6 months away from the start of the season!

Couple schools with coaching openings still. Hearing they're basically done but not official.

I'm going to share my annual idea for conference expansion.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1bYMTnbetTf6n1WlRqudBX6WJ6X8YGQE&usp=share_link

Maybe someone wants to share their early pre-season conference rankings?

10 minutes ago, JQWL said:

They could still play each other. 

Each conference would have 7 members which would allow for 3 non-conference games in football. Basketball is easy to schedule. With Salem getting smaller, it might be a good fit. 

We are still both within like 25 students of each other and I think we are still smaller?

I'm not really seeing the reason for conference realignment. I thought the MSC voted not to add Madison or said they didn't have interest in it. I like our schedule quite a bit, right now. We have basically the same conference now that you have drawn up, except switch Madison and Salem, then we play Seymour+Madison as our two out of conference games. 

Now.... having said that... If you move Pekin to the PLAC---- 

PLAC- Pekin, WW, CC, PC, SV, Mitchell, Paoli

MSC- BC, SC, CT, Salem, NH, CC, SB

And based on the conference games you play a intra-conference championship week 8 or 9. I think that would be pretty cool. Example-- if you win the MSC, you play the winner of the PLAC. But, that could cause teams to play twice.... (maybe you make that a caveat, you can't play someone twice?) Idk. Thinking outside the box. 

14 minutes ago, btownqbcoach1 said:

Now.... having said that... If you move Pekin to the PLAC---- 

PLAC- Pekin, WW, CC, PC, SV, Mitchell, Paoli

MSC- BC, SC, CT, Salem, NH, CC, SB

And based on the conference games you play a intra-conference championship week 8 or 9. I think that would be pretty cool. Example-- if you win the MSC, you play the winner of the PLAC. But, that could cause teams to play twice.... (maybe you make that a caveat, you can't play someone twice?) Idk. Thinking outside the box. 

I like that alot. I think a couple years ago I had combined the conferences and made two divisions and the #1's played each other week 9, and #2's did and so on.

Or you could do what PAC did and make a small/big school division. That would be fine too.

I just think the schools in Orange, Washington, Crawford fit well geographically than Perry Central who has a different time zone. If they're moved to the small PAC, almost all their opponents are right along the interstate and same time zone. I just get bored. None of it will actually happen. I've always hard WW doesn't want Pekin in the PLAC. I'm sure they wouldn't approve Salem if it were proposed.

I'm really hoping someone wants to do a MinerPride style write up on each team to preview the season. Maybe 1 a week. WWFan would be good at this.

1 hour ago, JQWL said:

I like that alot. I think a couple years ago I had combined the conferences and made two divisions and the #1's played each other week 9, and #2's did and so on.

Or you could do what PAC did and make a small/big school division. That would be fine too.

I just think the schools in Orange, Washington, Crawford fit well geographically than Perry Central who has a different time zone. If they're moved to the small PAC, almost all their opponents are right along the interstate and same time zone. I just get bored. None of it will actually happen. I've always hard WW doesn't want Pekin in the PLAC. I'm sure they wouldn't approve Salem if it were proposed.

I'm really hoping someone wants to do a MinerPride style write up on each team to preview the season. Maybe 1 a week. WWFan would be good at this.

I'll do PLAC on my days off to best I can.  Haha. I do wonder if Clarksville would be decent in PLAC....let Crawford go independent (even tho they said no couple years ago) or maybe add Eastern Greene/NCF

1 hour ago, Impartial_Observer said:

How does Crawford compete in other sports? 

Currently, they're not competing well but have had good basketball and baseball teams in recent years. Girls basketball has had some good years. Not sure about other sports.

Like anything else, if the school and community are not going to be supportive it's hard to be successful.

I know Hanger had some decent BBB teams over the years. I’m fat enough away I don’t hear much or see them in other sports. I think I have seen them in SB a time or two. 

It’s a tough situation, only school in a sparsely populated county and no boat money. Very similar to Jennings County on a smaller scale has been my take. 

50 minutes ago, WWFan said:

Hey @JQWL in last rough enrollment numbers paoli looked pretty close to 1A. You think it's trending that way or is there a small class in the high school currently?

I looked at the enrollment numbers when that came out because I wondered the same thing. I would say Paoli will remain one of the smallest 2A schools in the state the next 10 years. I don't think we will drop to 1A and I don't think we will be back up to the middle of 2A.

Edited by JQWL

• 2 weeks later...

My current PLAC projections

1. Perry Central- PC lost 12 seniors including 3 OL and the QB. They still return stud RB Sawyer Guillaume. I never assume PC can't replace lineman so if the new QB can keep a defense honest by week 4 I expect them and Paoli to have a dog fight. Both the Paoli and WW game are at home which helps out tremendously. 

2. Paoli- 11 seniors gone from last years team they appear to be almost a mirror image of PC. Returning 2 OL and a stud RB in Trey Rominger. Like PC I also assume Paoli, who generally rotate alot of lineman throughout, will be able to replace their OL. @PC will be their toughest test for the conference crown

3. Springs Valley- The Blackhawks lost the fewest seniors with 6. They lose 2 OL and 1000 yd RB in Ezra Mills. Replacing Mills will be interesting. I'd assume Konner Chase and Larron Childers split to start. They return 3 OL and have quite a bit of good young kids on the line. They could compete with top 2 if they get good play from their DTs. Great Edge guys here but too many teams beat them by simply running down their throat. 

4. West Washington- Losing 7 seniors including 2 OL and 2 of top 3 rushers. Bad schedule has us looking at possibly only 2 home games if we don't find a week 6 opp to come to Art Sanders. I have my doubts about us but more on WW when I do my full breakdown later in summer

5 Mitchell- The most seniors lost in 13. They lose 4 OL and return couple skill guys. The strength will be in the freshman class as they ran through PLAC last year. I'm sure some will get some early introduction to Friday nights as Mitchell looks to build something over the next few years. 

6. Crawford- Not much to say. 8 seniors gone. Only team I couldn't find a game for to watch. I do believe against WW they started a freshman at QB. We all hope Crawford can get something going. Roster had around 21 kids which is improvement. 

That's where I'm at currently. Obviously this won't account for transfers/quitters/movers. I didn't touch on D since most are 2 way guys. It should be a fun season hopefully. Looking forward to more input and insider info from everyone. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WWFan said:

My current PLAC projections

1. Perry Central- PC lost 12 seniors including 3 OL and the QB. They still return stud RB Sawyer Guillaume. I never assume PC can't replace lineman so if the new QB can keep a defense honest by week 4 I expect them and Paoli to have a dog fight. Both the Paoli and WW game are at home which helps out tremendously. 

2. Paoli- 11 seniors gone from last years team they appear to be almost a mirror image of PC. Returning 2 OL and a stud RB in Trey Rominger. Like PC I also assume Paoli, who generally rotate alot of lineman throughout, will be able to replace their OL. @PC will be their toughest test for the conference crown

3. Springs Valley- The Blackhawks lost the fewest seniors with 6. They lose 2 OL and 1000 yd RB in Ezra Mills. Replacing Mills will be interesting. I'd assume Konner Chase and Larron Childers split to start. They return 3 OL and have quite a bit of good young kids on the line. They could compete with top 2 if they get good play from their DTs. Great Edge guys here but too many teams beat them by simply running down their throat. 

4. West Washington- Losing 7 seniors including 2 OL and 2 of top 3 rushers. Bad schedule has us looking at possibly only 2 home games if we don't find a week 6 opp to come to Art Sanders. I have my doubts about us but more on WW when I do my full breakdown later in summer

5 Mitchell- The most seniors lost in 13. They lose 4 OL and return couple skill guys. The strength will be in the freshman class as they ran through PLAC last year. I'm sure some will get some early introduction to Friday nights as Mitchell looks to build something over the next few years. 

6. Crawford- Not much to say. 8 seniors gone. Only team I couldn't find a game for to watch. I do believe against WW they started a freshman at QB. We all hope Crawford can get something going. Roster had around 21 kids which is improvement. 

That's where I'm at currently. Obviously this won't account for transfers/quitters/movers. I didn't touch on D since most are 2 way guys. It should be a fun season hopefully. Looking forward to more input and insider info from everyone. 

Looking at last year's roster Crawford County has 15 freshmen on last year's team, including QB Quentin Bell, LB Isaac Adams, OL/DL Russ Payne, and OL/LB Conner Morgan, who at least started against us so I assume they got quite a big of experience. This group has some size physically and Bell threw the ball well when he has time. Crawford County only had 3 sophomores and 3 juniors so that group will have to keep playing a lot. Sophomore Aidan Bell was a solid receiver for them last year and they also return their best player in Nash Stroud who played OL/TE/WR/RB/DL/LB for them. Stroud was all-conference and is a real nice player wherever they end up using him. Hopefully they can hang on to some of their young kids and get going in the right direction.

I thought Mitchell was the most improved team in the conference from the start of the season to the finish and once they settled in on Ethan Turned at QB, it made all the difference. Along with Turner, looks like they bring back Kale England at FB, Lumen Ashton at RB and Seth Fountain on the OL, all of who will be seniors. Defensively they bring back Wigley Kyzen at Safety, AJ Sarver at CB, England at LB, Lumen at CB, Turner at S, again all of these are seniors too. All together they had 14 juniors last year so I even though those freshmen are talented and I expect to see some of them in skill positions, they should have several experienced kids on the field. I kinda expect to see Mitchell finish the season with a winning record this upcoming year.

2 hours ago, JQWL said:

Looking at last year's roster Crawford County has 15 freshmen on last year's team, including QB Quentin Bell, LB Isaac Adams, OL/DL Russ Payne, and OL/LB Conner Morgan, who at least started against us so I assume they got quite a big of experience. This group has some size physically and Bell threw the ball well when he has time. Crawford County only had 3 sophomores and 3 juniors so that group will have to keep playing a lot. Sophomore Aidan Bell was a solid receiver for them last year and they also return their best player in Nash Stroud who played OL/TE/WR/RB/DL/LB for them. Stroud was all-conference and is a real nice player wherever they end up using him. Hopefully they can hang on to some of their young kids and get going in the right direction.

How did their JR high do? Any numbers?

2 minutes ago, WWFan said:

How did their JR high do? Any numbers?

I think their Jr. high really struggled. The current freshmen class has been a pretty solid group for them so they expected they'd get some kids from that group but they need to string together a few good classes. I really like their new AD and I'm hoping he will support the program. People underestimate how important a good AD and a supportive administration/school board is to a football program.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lions 55 said:

Brian Glesing hired as the coach at Salem.

Interesting. Dont know much outside his stint at Paoli. O and the Floyd Central fan who always brings him up when mad in the HHC thread. Haha. What kinda offense he tend to run?

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, WWFan said:

Interesting. Dont know much outside his stint at Paoli. O and the Floyd Central fan who always brings him up when mad in the HHC thread. Haha. What kinda offense he tend to run?

I really don’t know anything about him or his coaching philosophies.  It sounds like he has had some success in rebuilding some programs.  

• Like 1

Congrats to Coach Glesing and Salem. Coach Glesing is an outstanding coach and program builder. His early roots offensively were in power run/power toss out of various pro formations. He incorporated a little more spread/wing-t kind of concepts later in his tenure at Floyd, but still had the basics of power toss as the root, though he was dressing it up with more formations. Defensively he was always a 4-3/cover 2 base with adjustments. I think Salem has always been a hard nosed, physical team and I would fully expect that to continue. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, boilerfan87 said:

Congrats to Coach Glesing and Salem. Coach Glesing is an outstanding coach and program builder. His early roots offensively were in power run/power toss out of various pro formations. He incorporated a little more spread/wing-t kind of concepts later in his tenure at Floyd, but still had the basics of power toss as the root, though he was dressing it up with more formations. Defensively he was always a 4-3/cover 2 base with adjustments. I think Salem has always been a hard nosed, physical team and I would fully expect that to continue. 

Thanks!! Salem is always hard for WW to beat. Even when we are really good Salem just generally has our number. Odd they seem to never have a coach stick around long. Good luck to him! Hope it works out. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, JQWL said:

I forgot about Ashton Arnold who played RB for them. Good quickness. Hard nosed kid. CC has some skill guys that are pretty solid.

23 hours ago, JQWL said:

I thought Mitchell was the most improved team in the conference from the start of the season to the finish and once they settled in on Ethan Turned at QB, it made all the difference. Along with Turner, looks like they bring back Kale England at FB, Lumen Ashton at RB and Seth Fountain on the OL, all of who will be seniors. Defensively they bring back Wigley Kyzen at Safety, AJ Sarver at CB, England at LB, Lumen at CB, Turner at S, again all of these are seniors too. All together they had 14 juniors last year so I even though those freshmen are talented and I expect to see some of them in skill positions, they should have several experienced kids on the field. I kinda expect to see Mitchell finish the season with a winning record this upcoming year.

Biggest question for the Jackets is the line on both sides of the ball. Return almost everything in the skill positions. Ethan Turner is the guy for the full offseason, excited to see him throw it around in the fall. 

Kids continued to fight and get better throughout the year. Give Kling credit, plus he is also doing a great job with working with the JH kids. I think you'll see a slight increase in the win total each year, and the incoming freshmen class group will be "the year" for us when they are seniors.  This season's W total just hinges on a lot of questions on the Line. 

• Like 1