Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Region all star voting

What about this question....

Should a school nominate a player they KNOW has no intention of playing in the N/S All-Star game...even if selected? 

In other words, if Johnny Walker is graduating early and going to a big Power 5 school like Ol'Tex, UCC, or State University...who will not allow him to play in the game...should a coaching staff nominate him?

The North/South Game has definitely changed over the years.  In the old days it was a whos who of Indiana talent.  Future NFL guys playing here and there in past years. Now kids graduate early and a lot of D-1 programs do not allow the kids to play.  Now voting for guys that are not going to play in the game does hurt another kids chances.   For those that do not know.  Region Teams must be made up of all 6 classes.  If memory serves me right a school can nominate 3 players at 4 positions. If a small school has a good 1A or 2A player, they definitely have a chance to make the All-Star team.    Once the Region Teams are selected, the ALL Star Coaching Staff will meet and work on selecting the team.  Again the All Star Team must be represented by all 6 classes and equal representation must exist between all regions.   Players who are being considered for the team can play any position in the game.  Hence a good athletic QB may play safety or a RB could get moved to a WR spot and a WR could get moved to corner.

The main thing is that even with all the parameters it is still an honor to be selected for the All-Star Team.  It is a great experience to be a part of .  I was fortunate to be selected to coach in the game in 2021 and my 6th grade Son got to be the ball-boy.  Experience that I will cherish for the rest of my life!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, US31 said:

What about this question....

Should a school nominate a player they KNOW has no intention of playing in the N/S All-Star game...even if selected? 

In other words, if Johnny Walker is graduating early and going to a big Power 5 school like Ol'Tex, UCC, or State University...who will not allow him to play in the game...should a coaching staff nominate him?

I know that Region 4 honors those guys that have accepted Div. 1 offers and will not play in the game.  They do not make a position on the team generally.  

It was emphasized this past nomination period that no kid should be put up for the Region All-Star team that was not willing to play in the game.  So, is it really the best representation of talent for the region?  There are players that make the region team that are on 1-9, 2-8, 0-10 teams.  There are teams that get no representation because kids cannot play in the North/South Game for whatever reason.  But the chances of getting selected to that game are low anyway.  So the IFCA elects to recognize players at the region level that may have no business playing in the game.  This is the dilemma coaches face, and they must answer questions brought up by their parents and stakeholders about why their school has no representation.  It is tough.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Locky said:

What's your opinion when a school no shows the region all star voting. Meaning a player from that team has zero chance of being on the region all star team and therefore zero chance at the North South game. 

Apathy, laziness, pick the adjective and fill in the blank.

As a coach, you have a responsibility to support your student athletes if you as a coach feel that you have a player who is deserving for an opportunity to represent their respective regions. 

I can only speak for Region 4, you have no shot to make the team if you nominate a player and then no show the meeting.   Even if you send an assistant, that will be received well.   

Another PET PEEVE, SHOW UP to meetings, even when you do NOT have a kid you want to nominate, thats the responsibility of the IFCA member representing the school you work for.  Just don't show up when you think you have a kid worthy.   cringe worthy stuff there imo 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Reading these and a lot of these are spot on. Some people just don't go, they don't care, whatever. I've been when I've nominated a kid and been when I haven't. Did I go this year, no. I coach basketball during the winter and we had a game that day. That's the only chance we can vote and if an IFCA member can't make it, they're out of luck. I feel like in this age where we can vote using platforms other than in-person, why can't we when voting for a Region team? Also, some Regions hold their meetings on Sundays assuming that would avoid conflicts that happen during the week. Why can't all Regions hold their meeting on Sunday?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

As a coach, you have a responsibility to support your student athletes if you as a coach feel that you have a player who is deserving for an opportunity to represent their respective regions. 

I can only speak for Region 4, you have no shot to make the team if you nominate a player and then no show the meeting.   Even if you send an assistant, that will be received well.   

Another PET PEEVE, SHOW UP to meetings, even when you do NOT have a kid you want to nominate, thats the responsibility of the IFCA member representing the school you work for.  Just don't show up when you think you have a kid worthy.   cringe worthy stuff there imo 

Exactly coach! I know there were a couple schools that had coaches at the National Wing-t clinic this year and could not attend as head coaches, but made sure they had representation as a staff and school.  

You make a great point about representing even if you have not nominated a player.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JQWL said:

Reading these and a lot of these are spot on. Some people just don't go, they don't care, whatever. I've been when I've nominated a kid and been when I haven't. Did I go this year, no. I coach basketball during the winter and we had a game that day. That's the only chance we can vote and if an IFCA member can't make it, they're out of luck. I feel like in this age where we can vote using platforms other than in-person, why can't we when voting for a Region team? Also, some Regions hold their meetings on Sundays assuming that would avoid conflicts that happen during the week. Why can't all Regions hold their meeting on Sunday?

For the 20 years I have been in Region 4 and IFCA, our meetings have been on Pro Bowl Sunday, starts at at 11 normal folk time, 12pm must really suck to live on time, and wrapped up easily by mid afternoon.   

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

For the 20 years I have been in Region 4 and IFCA, our meetings have been on Pro Bowl Sunday, starts at at 11 normal folk time, 12pm must really suck to live on time, and wrapped up easily by mid afternoon.   

I know a few assistants that never miss and make sure their schools are always represented even if they do not put any players up!

Region 5 showed up big this year like usual. Voting also goes a lot faster now that we've done it on a google form electronically the last few years. It's always one of my favorite region meetings of the year as we usually have 4 mini clinics as well. Always great to see so much representation.

• Like 1

Does each school with a coach in attendance get a vote or do all coaches in attendance get to vote?  Would seem a little biased if a bigger school had larger staffs and each coach from that program got a vote.  I assume that would happen quite frequently and some deserving kids would simply be out-voted if each coach in attendance votes.  Maybe that is not how it works though.

8 minutes ago, LionKing said:

Does each school with a coach in attendance get a vote or do all coaches in attendance get to vote?  Would seem a little biased if a bigger school had larger staffs and each coach from that program got a vote.  I assume that would happen quite frequently and some deserving kids would simply be out-voted if each coach in attendance votes.  Maybe that is not how it works though.

All coaches in attendance get a vote. If you're a bigger school with a large staff, you can out vote smaller schools with smaller staffs. They do require that each class has a representative so 1A and 2A schools will get at least 1 kid.

36 minutes ago, JQWL said:

All coaches in attendance get a vote. If you're a bigger school with a large staff, you can out vote smaller schools with smaller staffs. They do require that each class has a representative so 1A and 2A schools will get at least 1 kid.

correct Coach, that is why its important to remember the N/S All Star game is an representative game, quotes of each Region must be filled, with players from each class et al. 

Same goes for the actual selection to the game as well