Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

SIAC 2023

17 hours ago, Screagle said:

Memorial and Vincennes should have great QB play and lots of good athletes around them. North has dudes if they can ever figure out consistent offense.  Jasper and Castle are always tough to play, especially on the road. MD will find the pieces by rivalry week and possibly have a say in SIAC title. 

Agree on these points. I think there will definitely be a few teams that improve and compete for the conference title. However, I also think Reitz will be even better. Especially if their QB comes back full strength. However, last season they were coming off of 4 win seasons and were a bit of a surprise. This year they will have a huge target on their chest. Teams will be much more prepared and motivated to beat them. Would not be shocked to see some upsets, especially if their penalty proneness isn't cleaned up.

2 hours ago, Football Fanatic said:

Hard to assume that Memorial and Mater Dei will be worse though. They always seem to find a way to be competitive.

Based on the run for Memorial since 2016, I’d say they found ways to be more than just competitive.  

Edited by Screagle

4 minutes ago, Screagle said:

Based on the run for Memorial since 2016, I’d say they found ways to be more than just competitive.  

Exactly. By competitive/non-competitive I just mean good or bad. They are always good lately. But yes, they've had an impressive run of great teams. Regardless if they are supposed to be "down" or not this year or any future year, I expect them to have a winning record and compete for their sectional. That goes for if they move down to 3A as well obviously. They've done more than enough to merit that expectation. Culture and tradition go a long way.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Football Fanatic said:

Exactly. By competitive/non-competitive I just mean good or bad. They are always good lately. But yes, they've had an impressive run of great teams. Regardless if they are supposed to be "down" or not this year or any future year, I expect them to have a winning record and compete for their sectional. That goes for if they move down to 3A as well obviously. They've done more than enough to merit that expectation. Culture and tradition go a long way.

Once we figure out our trenches, we should field a pretty good team. But it’s going to take a couple of games for them to mold inmo. That is why Memorial is currently in the 4-7 range for the time being 

Edited by TigerFan20

5 hours ago, Titan32 said:

Maybe all those Reitz posters/fans from back in the day will come back here to do some chest-thumping!

I’m one of those posters from back in the day. And will say, Reitz should make a run this season. 

thing that I will say about the next tier is this. Look at who plays where. Lincoln played most of their games from those tiers at home (Reitz, MD, North, Memorial). This year they play them all on the road, with a game at Harrison between North and Memorial (ask Jasper about playing there). Truth is, Lincoln could quickly fade into the bottoms of the conference if they can’t figure out winning on the road against quality opponents. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TransplantedPanther said:

I’m one of those posters from back in the day. And will say, Reitz should make a run this season. 

thing that I will say about the next tier is this. Look at who plays where. Lincoln played most of their games from those tiers at home (Reitz, MD, North, Memorial). This year they play them all on the road, with a game at Harrison between North and Memorial (ask Jasper about playing there). Truth is, Lincoln could quickly fade into the bottoms of the conference if they can’t figure out winning on the road against quality opponents. 

Extremely good point about VL if they want to compete for the SIAC crown. Have to win a handful of tough road games. Reitz, on the other hand, has to deal with Jasper and Castle on the road

19 hours ago, TransplantedPanther said:

Great point. Hey, by the way, do you know what happened to Herman Byers Ghost on twitter? He was a great follow.

11 minutes ago, tango said:

Great point. Hey, by the way, do you know what happened to Herman Byers Ghost on twitter? He was a great follow.

I know there was a big uproar between the person running it and the Byers family. I know there was a resolution to it, but I don’t know what that was. I believed they could still run it, but maybe not. 

34 minutes ago, TransplantedPanther said:

I know there was a big uproar between the person running it and the Byers family. I know there was a resolution to it, but I don’t know what that was. I believed they could still run it, but maybe not. 

Interesting...

On 3/23/2023 at 5:06 PM, TransplantedPanther said:

Fair assessment...Lincoln has to take last year's lessons and find a way to put consistent quarters together, especially on the road. I never felt the 2022 team was outmatched at any point through the conference season, but they made too many critical mistakes that you simply can't overcome in this league. And while they showed much resiliency in the early part of the schedule, that seemed to fade down the stretch. 

7 hours ago, SEAL_63 said:

Fair assessment...Lincoln has to take last year's lessons and find a way to put consistent quarters together, especially on the road. I never felt the 2022 team was outmatched at any point through the conference season, but they made too many critical mistakes that you simply can't overcome in this league. And while they showed much resiliency in the early part of the schedule, that seemed to fade down the stretch. 

Exactly. They did show a lot of resiliency early in the season. Blowing out Bosse, just barely losing to Reitz, and then beating Mater Dei definitely had them carrying momentum. I think some things changed within the team dynamic and after losing some close games their confidence may have dipped a little. They will surely come out fired up this season and could finish toward the top half of the conference. We will probably find out real quick what they're made of when they travel to The Bowl in weeks 2 and 3 against Reitz and Mater Dei.

5 minutes ago, TigerFan20 said:

Just saw North’s Hazelwood has been offered by Miami (OH), huge returning lineman for the Huskies

North will have the best oline/dline in siac this year. Big, strong, experienced. If that program can figure it out they could push towards the top. 

28 minutes ago, Evansville50 said:

North will have the best oline/dline in siac this year. Big, strong, experienced. If that program can figure it out they could push towards the top. 

Brasher, Hazelwood, Davis, Reeves, and K. Hazelwood. Huge OL right there 

20 hours ago, Evansville50 said:

Feel like we've been saying that for a while now. North definitely has size and strength returning on their lines. Sure, they "should" and "could" be really good. But I guess I'm a bit more hesitant to buy into the hype. Just pumping the brakes a bit, they did just lose 5 games for the fourth season in a row. As far as lines go, you may get away with saying they are the biggest, but seems bold to say they will have the best. By the way, do people think they will remain very run-heavy or use the QB they had at the end of the season and pass a bit more?

47 minutes ago, Football Fanatic said:

Feel like we've been saying that for a while now. North definitely has size and strength returning on their lines. Sure, they "should" and "could" be really good. But I guess I'm a bit more hesitant to buy into the hype. Just pumping the brakes a bit, they did just lose 5 games for the fourth season in a row. As far as lines go, you may get away with saying they are the biggest, but seems bold to say they will have the best. By the way, do people think they will remain very run-heavy or use the QB they had at the end of the season and pass a bit more?

I'm with you.  We've been hearing how North is going to take it to the next level for at least 5 years now, yet they continue to be a .500 ball club.  So what's holding them back?  They have size, athletes, resources.  Is it coaching?

6 hours ago, Wildcat1992 said:

I'm with you.  We've been hearing how North is going to take it to the next level for at least 5 years now, yet they continue to be a .500 ball club.  So what's holding them back?  They have size, athletes, resources.  Is it coaching?

6-5 last year. Met their much-publicized goal. Maybe they need to set the bar higher...

3 hours ago, Sidelined56 said:

With the conference having legit 6-8 Division one prospects, a number of guys that could play D-2, and NAIA.... is the most prospects that the conference has produced in a single year? 

Was wondering that recently as well. Interested to see how many SIAC players in this class end up playing college ball. Definitely a handful that could end up D1. While I do feel like this class has more college-level talent than a typical year, it also helps that southern Indiana has started to get a noticed a bit more. I still think it is severely underrecruited though.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Wildcat1992 said:

Hard to say. It truly seems like a mystery. I just think it's bold to say they will have "the best" anything considering how they have not been living up to the hype and there were other teams that handled them well up front. One example would be Reitz who has 2 OL guys that are probably D1 bound and a DL that led the state in sacks - they return almost all of their linemen both ways. And if I remember right...Castle, Mater Dei, Vincennes, and Jasper all handled North pretty well up front too and all return some key guys on the line. North definitely will have size, strength, and experience on the line. But will it result in more success for them? Personally, I think they still stay a bit run-heavy but implement the pass a little more; keep defenses honest.

I have said for years that when North has great skill players, the line is always lacking, and when their line is great, they seem to be short the skill players. I see it that way again this year, as they lost most of their offensive production from last year if memory serves me correctly. 

(Getting old sucks)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TransplantedPanther said:

I have said for years that when North has great skill players, the line is always lacking, and when their line is great, they seem to be short the skill players. I see it that way again this year, as they lost most of their offensive production from last year if memory serves me correctly. 

(Getting old sucks)

North lost their top 3 receivers and top RB (Rucker should fit the role in well), they do return McKinney at QB for his final season