Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Carmel Drops CG!

5 hours ago, foxbat said:

I'm pretty sure that CG would prefer to be playing in-state, but probably not at the expense of playing an under-.500 2A team.

I for one, would cherish the experience of watching Cg compete once a year with a 2a team. hell im sure we could find 1a school.

15 hours ago, JustRules said:

There is no connection to anything that happens in the regular season to what happens in the post season today. Why arbitrarily add this? I'm guessing there are years where Cathedral didn't play 5 IHSAA teams. Or possibly the Deaf School.

To codify that connection if you want to be a member of the IHSAA and play in it's football tournament.  It's that simple.

11 hours ago, Rodney said:

I for one, would cherish the experience of watching Cg compete once a year with a 2a team. hell im sure we could find 1a school.

Why?  So you can watch the CG Junior Varsity compete on a Friday night?

Edited by Muda69

5 hours ago, Grover said:

Too bad Merrillville refuses to play us.

Pretty certain this has been said before, but Merrillville's admin won't let Seiss schedule any non-conference games other than Andrean and Hobart because they always get those games at home and the gate. Seiss has been pretty open about that fact. 

• Like 1

Just now, scarab527 said:

Pretty certain this has been said before, but Merrillville's admin won't let Seiss schedule any non-conference games other than Andrean and Hobart because they always get those games at home and the gate. Seiss has been pretty open about that fact. 

I guess I get it, but playing a 6A Indy power annually would do wonders for them in terms of tournament preparation in my opinion.

Still can't get that Chatard game out of my head.

1 hour ago, temptation said:

I guess I get it, but playing a 6A Indy power annually would do wonders for them in terms of tournament preparation in my opinion.

Still can't get that Chatard game out of my head.

I think Seiss would agree with you, but I don't think there's really anything he can do about it. 

7 hours ago, scarab527 said:

I think Seiss would agree with you, but I don't think there's really anything he can do about it. 

Or not. Some coaches will shy away from Center Grove because they don't believe there is much benefit from losing by 3+ touchdowns. I personally don't believe in that. Every program should know what the benchmark is, otherwise, how will you attain it?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BTF said:

Or not. Some coaches will shy away from Center Grove because they don't believe there is much benefit from losing by 3+ touchdowns. I personally don't believe in that. Every program should know what the benchmark is, otherwise, how will you attain it?

Or you just trot out some embellished narrative that they have cultural issues because you are TIRED of losing to them by 3+ touchdowns…

CG is 5-0 in its last 5 meetings with Warren…winning by an average oh 20 points per game.

How the mighty have fallen.

23 hours ago, scarab527 said:

Hobart does not always play @ Mville.

On 4/20/2023 at 8:56 AM, Muda69 said:

Because IMHO if you want to be an IHSAA state champion you should then play predominately other IHSAA member schools during the regular season

Why not take it one step further and limit it to class. So, if you don't play predominately in your class, you should not be able to compete for the class championship. Such as Cathedral in 2021 class 5A where they played only 1 class 5a school. I bet everybody else in 5a that year would have loved to have Cathedral out of the tournament.

14 minutes ago, Slobberknocker said:

Why not take it one step further and limit it to class. So, if you don't play predominately in your class, you should not be able to compete for the class championship. Such as Cathedral in 2021 class 5A where they played only 1 class 5a school. I bet everybody else in 5a that year would have loved to have Cathedral out of the tournament.

Would likely be the end of conferences as we know it.  Would lay open the path to districts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Slobberknocker said:

Now don't go all crazy on us here, Slobber.   

On 4/27/2023 at 7:10 PM, BTF said:

Agreed.  To be the best (or maybe second best in this instance), you have to play the best

Edited by Gipper

On 4/28/2023 at 10:28 AM, Slobberknocker said:

The IHSAA kicked around a variation of this kind of proposal in the early 90s. 

On 4/27/2023 at 5:19 PM, temptation said:

Real solid look for Warren keeping Carmel/CG both on the freshman/JV schedules while ducking CG at the varsity level huh?

CA052B4D-28E2-41B5-9EA6-C875FAE84F4D.jpeg

I have no actual knowledge of this decision process at WC, but I don't see Kirsch being so petty. 

I could see Kirsch saying to someone else ..."Look we aren't driving all the way to FtW on Saturday for JV/Frosh...can we at least drive to CG for those games"

6 hours ago, Gipper said:

Agreed.  To be the best (or maybe second best in this instance), you have to play the best

I could see the reasoning (not that I agree) if you're a 5a school, but certainly not 6a. All 5a & 6a high caliber programs should want to play Center Grove. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, US31 said:

I have no actual knowledge of this decision process at WC, but I don't see Kirsch being so petty. 

I could see Kirsch saying to someone else ..."Look we aren't driving all the way to FtW on Saturday for JV/Frosh...can we at least drive to CG for those games"

Risking racism and a “misaligning of culture” to save a few bucks on gas?

So brave.

Just publicly admit it was a mistake and kiss and make up already…the kids are suffering.

Edited by temptation
  • Like 2

On 4/28/2023 at 11:44 AM, foxbat said:

Would likely be the end of conferences as we know it.  Would lay open the path to districts.

Is that a bad thing? Many conferences have become unstable anyway. Many other states do this district structure. Many in Indiana will oppose it because it sets up perfectly for a qualifying tournament as well.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2023 at 9:31 AM, Muda69 said:

To codify that connection if you want to be a member of the IHSAA and play in it's football tournament.  It's that simple.

I was pointing out the absurdity of how the regular season has no bearing on how the post-season is done. When I tell people from other states about how Indiana does this, they think I am joking. They can't believe anyone would ever set up a system like this. We have a competitive 9-week exhibition season.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JustRules said:

Is that a bad thing? Many conferences have become unstable anyway. Many other states do this district structure. Many in Indiana will oppose it because it sets up perfectly for a qualifying tournament as well.

I have mixed feelings on it.  Growing up in Texas, we didn't have a say and district was the lay of the land ... never really thought much of it.  The rivalries were typically based on who you saw on a regular basis as opposed to more organic rivalries.  Of course, there were always the sibling rivalry rivalries where you faced off against the other schools in your school district because the football districts were based on size/geography so you tended to end up playing your brother a lot.  My old school district in Texas had grown so big that the football district, up until just recently, was comprised of all of the schools from our school district ... all in the equivalent of 6A.  And here in Indiana we think the SAC looks inbred from a regular-season perspective. :classic_smile:

In New Orleans we had districts too, but because the public and private schools were split, it seemed more like a Catholic conference ... usually with a local public school tossed in at the start of the season.  Moving up here to Indiana, I underwent a couple of transformations in that 1) I really learned to love small-school ball and 2) I was introduced to, and enjoy, the idea of conferences ... especially the backstories and histories.

I do agree, if there was a move to districts, I think there would eventually be a qualifying component to the tourney that would likely follow.

2 hours ago, JustRules said:

I was pointing out the absurdity of how the regular season has no bearing on how the post-season is done. When I tell people from other states about how Indiana does this, they think I am joking. They can't believe anyone would ever set up a system like this. We have a competitive 9-week exhibition season.

...and the thread has been hijacked into the same old discussion......

On 4/27/2023 at 10:57 AM, scarab527 said:

Merrillville’s long-time athletic director, Janis Qualizza, is retiring. Perhaps that will bring a change in this philosophy.