Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Penn/Carmel?

3 hours ago, PDB26 said:

You had me in the first half, but these two games have to go, too.

I get it, I just think that if we do go independent that we need some filler on the schedule to help rest, recover and get the depth opportunities to play.

Move the Mishawaka game back to the end of the season, put the rotating south bend school game the week before it.

Play Valpo week 1 like always.  

Game 1: Valpo

Game 2: Northwood/Concord/Northridge/Warsaw (all competitive local teams) 

Game 3: Marian/St. Joe

Game 4: Snider

Game 5: La Jeff

Game 6: Westfield

Game 7: Elkhart

Game 8: Riley/Adams/Washington

Game 9: Mishawaka

Penn has the chance of dropping 7 of those games.  If Penn wins 7 of those games, I think they are well prepared for the playoffs.

12 minutes ago, BLACKGOLD2007 said:

I get it, I just think that if we do go independent that we need some filler on the schedule to help rest, recover and get the depth opportunities to play.

Good rationale. I'd probably rather an additional game against New Prairie or one of the NLC schools you listed. The JV and freshman games would almost certainly be more valuable. I've become very skeptical of any benefit gained by depth guys during garbage time on Friday night, especially with the running clock in play these days.

6 minutes ago, PDB26 said:

Good rationale. I'd probably rather an additional game against New Prairie or one of the NLC schools you listed. The JV and freshman games would almost certainly be more valuable. I've become very skeptical of any benefit gained by depth guys during garbage time on Friday night, especially with the running clock in play these days.

Well the best way to get decent experience for the young guys on Friday nights is to beat these teams by 40 at half.  Then for a solid quarter play their 1s vs your two and threes.  But, that is what Penn used to do, now we struggle to do that.  

But, yes scheduling quality JV and freshmen games becomes much more valuable.  

I just want Penn to be the team that people in the North wanted to avoid; now everyone wants a shot at us, because we are beatable.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BLACKGOLD2007 said:

I have been clamoring for independent.  We keep Mishawaka and Elkhart locally. Valpo remains at the beginning of the year.  I would have no issue keeping Marian on the schedule, if they wanted to do a rotating schedule with St. Joe, cool.  You need a rest game, so if the South Bend schools want to do a three year rotation.  That would be nice to see. 

that is 5 games each year.   

Teams I would find interesting to start home and homes with:

Northwood

Merrillville

Ben Davis

Carmel

Lafayette Jeff

Carroll

Snider 

Westfield

HSE

Brownsburg

Penn vs Snider needs to resume at some point. They had a nice rivalry spanning two decades as the north's two premier teams. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BLACKGOLD2007 said:

Move the Mishawaka game back to the end of the season, put the rotating south bend school game the week before it.

Play Valpo week 1 like always.  

Game 1: Valpo

Game 2: Northwood/Concord/Northridge/Warsaw (all competitive local teams) 

Game 3: Marian/St. Joe

Game 4: Snider

Game 5: La Jeff

Game 6: Westfield

Game 7: Elkhart

Game 8: Riley/Adams/Washington

Game 9: Mishawaka

Penn has the chance of dropping 7 of those games.  If Penn wins 7 of those games, I think they are well prepared for the playoffs.

I beleive all HCC teams are only non-con weeks 1 & 2. 

Penn is a nice fit in the HCC in terms of school size, demographics, etc.  Just not too close.  Would be nice to see them schedule some HCC teams.

3 minutes ago, US31 said:

I beleive all HCC teams are only non-con weeks 1 & 2. 

Penn is a nice fit in the HCC in terms of school size, demographics, etc.  Just not too close.  Would be nice to see them schedule some HCC teams.

Sounds good, that would be a headache for an athletic director to negotiate.  Each conference has their rules about when they can play their non conference games.  I think that the power conference has shifted to the HCC from the MIC, because the MIC has lost two huge parts of their membership. 

13 hours ago, BTF said:

Penn vs Snider needs to resume at some point. They had a nice rivalry spanning two decades as the north's two premier teams. 

PLEASE!!!  That game was circled on the calendar every year for who wins this game is probably going to play Carmel for the North semi state championship.....that is when we were both 5A. 

• Like 1