Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Colts 2023

Muda69

Figured we would start the 2023 Colts threads with this:  https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2023/02/14/indianapolis-colts-hire-shane-steichen-as-head-coach/69900665007/

There will be no change of heart this time.

The Colts have their man.

Indianapolis has officially hired Shane Steichen as head coach, signing the Eagles offensive coordinator to the dotted line Monday night, the day after Philadelphia’s heartbreaking 38-35 loss to Kansas City in Super Bowl LVII.

The Colts will formally introduce Steichen in the coming days, giving Indianapolis its first chance to hear the new coach’s plans.

Steichen, the youngest Colts coach in Indianapolis history at age 37, was first revealed as the team’s top target at noon on Super Bowl Sunday, after it was reported the team notified the rest of a deep pool of candidates that the Colts had made a final decision.

Thoughts?

56 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Reich and Wentz coming from Philly didn't stick.  Maybe the 3rd time is a charm??

Still wonder about Eric Bieniemy being a perpetual bridesmaid, even after 2 SB wins in 3 SB games in five years after replacing former Bears coach Matt Nagy as OC. Is it lack of credit and too much credit for Mahomes or something else (and no need to bring up way distant past)? Seems strange to me.

Did Irsay and Ballard ask him in the interview a hypothesis of what if you are down to Sam Ehlinger in the game and he has a bad leg and reduced to being a pocket passer with Pittman and Pierce out and Bieniemy stated, "Ehlinger on one leg missing our top two receivers and that line from this past season? Hell, no!"

Edited by ragdoll
grammar correction

3 hours ago, ragdoll said:

Still wonder about Eric Bieniemy being a perpetual bridesmaid, even after 2 SB wins in 3 SB games in five years after replacing former Bears coach Matt Nagy as OC. Is it lack of credit and too much credit for Mahomes or something else (and no need to bring up way distant past)? Seems strange to me.

Did Irsay and Ballard ask him in the interview a hypothesis of what if you are down to Sam Ehlinger in the game and he has a bad leg and reduced to being a pocket passer with Pittman and Pierce out and Bieniemy stated, "Ehlinger on one leg missing our top two receivers and that line from this past season? Hell, no!"

Either he is bad at interviews...like REALLY bad, or he just does not show real interest in changing jobs. If he stays put, Mahomes makes him look like a genius for a few more years at least. 

• 4 weeks later...

Colts sign Rams' Matt Gay to biggest free agent deal ever for a kicker: https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2023/03/14/colts-sign-rams-matt-gay-to-biggest-fa-deal-ever-signed-by-kicker/70006200007/

The Colts have made their first big outside signing of free agency.

And although the signing comes as a surprise, given the emergence of Chase McLaughlin last season and the team’s lack of outside signings at other positions of need so far, the move solidifies a position that hasn’t been settled since Adam Vinatieri was at full strength.

Seventeen years after prying Vinatieri away from the Patriots, Indianapolis has agreed to sign Rams kicker Matt Gay to a four-year deal worth up to $22.5 million, according to Gay’s agent, David Canter.

Gay, whose average per year salary checks in at $5.625 million, will be paid more on an annual basis than any kicker in the NFL other than Baltimore’s Justin Tucker, a five-time All-Pro who checks in at $6 million per year.

A power signing right there I tell you!

Colts release QB Matt Ryan, freeing up $17 million in salary cap space:https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2023/03/14/colts-release-qb-matt-ryan-freeing-up-17-million-in-salary-cap-space/70002832007/

For the third consecutive offseason, the Colts are saying goodbye to a starting quarterback long before originally planned, underscoring the futility of the franchise’s prior approach and the need to find a long-term solution at the game’s most important position.

Indianapolis is releasing Matt Ryan after just one disastrous season, a league source told IndyStar on Tuesday, in a move that frees up $17,205,882 of cap space and takes on $18 million in dead cap.

The Colts had three days left to make the move; Ryan’s salary would have become fully guaranteed on March 17, eliminating the possibility of any cap savings for Indianapolis.

Releasing Ryan has long been expected.

Another QB mistake gone.  

Is there really a QB savior for the Colts in this year's draft?  Or should they go after Mr. Rodgers?

9 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Colts release QB Matt Ryan, freeing up $17 million in salary cap space:https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2023/03/14/colts-release-qb-matt-ryan-freeing-up-17-million-in-salary-cap-space/70002832007/

Another QB mistake gone.  

Is there really a QB savior for the Colts in this year's draft?  Or should they go after Mr. Rodgers?

No to AR.....they have more holes than a QB and he knows the Colts are not SB ready.  He has a very short window and he's saying he's going to the Jets.  My guess is that they are freeing up $$ for the draft, trades or perhaps Lamar.

On 3/15/2023 at 5:34 PM, Bash Riprock said:

No to AR.....they have more holes than a QB and he knows the Colts are not SB ready.  He has a very short window and he's saying he's going to the Jets.  My guess is that they are freeing up $$ for the draft, trades or perhaps Lamar.

So, the Jets ARE SB ready?

Have some unique perspective on Beimemy, as I have a real good friend who is good friends with Chiefs former QB coach, who is in NY last year and didn't have a lot of great things to say about Biememy from his time with KC.  Interesting enough, same coach interviewed for all 6 NFL openings and had some interesting things to say about 3 teams for sure:  Arizona, Colts, and Texans.   Believe it or not Texans he felt were really well ran organization now that they got rid of some guy a year ago, they had their stuff together and could see them make huge steps moving forward.  Colts interview, was told he couldn't do anything with the defense or special teams and that those staffs were locked in and couldn't be touched.  Arizona, DUMPSTER FIRE.   New Owner was an idiot, literally asked the coach this question, "What are your thoughts on President Trump".  Then called him a midwest liptard, assuming he was being from Chicago, then went on for 90 mins about politics, turns out his best friend is current speaker of the house, he couldn't get out of their fast enough.   Literally, NFL owner and that is what he is doing, smh, sad really 

• Like 2

Doyel: Can't you see? Chris Ballard wants the hurt QB from Tennessee! (And more picks): https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2023/03/23/colts-2023-nfl-draft-tennessee-qb-hendon-hooker-more-picks/70029846007/

(Note: Commentary is behind a paywall)

Bring me Tennessee QB Hendon Hooker

It’s the injured guy. See it now?

While Chris Ballard was thinking about the 2023 season and beyond, while he was trying to tell us his quarterback plans in that chesty way of his, we all took the bait on Bryce Young or C.J. Stroud or even Anthony Richardson. We took it hook, line and sinker.

Rather: Hooker, line and sinker.

It’s Hendon Hooker of Tennessee. He’s the guy. Don’t you see?

• 1 month later...

Ultimate high ceiling/reward, high risk pick.

His college stats don't exactly jump off the page but his athleticism/potential does.  

Feels like an NBA style pick.

A reach in my opinion but I think Young (and maybe Hooker) are the only two QBs in this draft that are game changers.

Just my opinion.

1 hour ago, temptation said:

Ultimate high ceiling/reward, high risk pick.

His college stats don't exactly jump off the page but his athleticism/potential does.  

Feels like an NBA style pick.

A reach in my opinion but I think Young (and maybe Hooker) are the only two QBs in this draft that are game changers.

Just my opinion.

NBA style pick is a good way to put it and I agree. I am fairly skeptical because of his lack of experience (only 19 starts), but athletic specimen at the QB position like him do not come around often. With the offense I think they will run and the track record that Streichen has I think there is some hope. Would love to see them take Jonathon Mingo with this next pick too. 

• 1 month later...

Does not say who the player is, but this does seem to be a growing problem for the league. My first thought was you let the fox in the henhouse, by signing on with these online gambling sites. As a part of every telecast now, we are told what the latest live bets are on a given game before and during the game. 

https://www.actionnetwork.com/legal-online-sports-betting/report-colts-player-under-investigation-for-betting-on-own-team-pervasive-wagering 

22 hours ago, Irishman said:

Does not say who the player is, but this does seem to be a growing problem for the league. My first thought was you let the fox in the henhouse, by signing on with these online gambling sites. As a part of every telecast now, we are told what the latest live bets are on a given game before and during the game. 

https://www.actionnetwork.com/legal-online-sports-betting/report-colts-player-under-investigation-for-betting-on-own-team-pervasive-wagering 

Isaiah Rodgers looks to be in a world of hurt.......

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/06/06/isaiah-rodgers-faces-potential-banishment-from-the-nfl/

image.png.1638903cf28bd4fbd3f7402d470aeff8.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

https://www.wthr.com/article/sports/nfl/indianapolis-colts/indianapolis-colts-introduce-new-alternate-uniform-indiana-nights-october-22-home-game/531-8c4e263a-f9ad-4696-9ecc-613c0d16df11

The Indianapolis Colts have unveiled a new alternate uniform for the 2023 season. 

The Colts' "Indiana Nights" uniform was inspired by the colors of the Indiana night sky. For the first time in Colts franchise history, the team will wear black-colored helmets instead of their traditional white or throwback blue. 

A "first-of-its-kind blue heathered" game jersey will be worn in addition to the new colored helmets. 

These uniforms will make their gameday debut Oct. 22 when the Colts host the Cleveland Browns. Future games that feature the "Indiana Nights" uniforms will be announced at a later date. 

PHOTOS: Colts unveil new 'Indiana Nights' alternate uniforms for 2023 season

• d15ecbd4-7433-4c0a-b7a7-741d70fbb6f9_750x422.jpg
  •  
  • e01b62cb-9853-490f-8a5b-eef82279bcea_16xblank.png
  •  
  • f3c710cb-95be-4b80-bc59-9822fe1ebdd1_16xblank.png
  •  
  • e7b87234-bf6b-41c9-afa4-beceb2eef163_16xblank.png
  •  
  • b0d19780-7c7a-430a-80b2-86c6d846f504_16xblank.png
1/5
Indianapolis Colts
A game-ready shot of the new "Indiana Nights" Colts uniforms.

Fans wishing to purchase merchandise with the "Indiana Nights" theme can do so online or at the Colts Pro Shop in Lucas Oil Stadium. 

The Colts are also holding a contest centered around the new theme, where winners will receive two sideline tickets to the matchup against the Browns and personalized helmets and jerseys with the alternate theme. Click here for more information on the giveaway.

Disgusting, and a complete slap at tradition.  What is with this continued fascination to adding black to a team's colors, even if black was never a part of it in the first place?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm glad that Emil Ekiyor is getting a chance with the Colts.  I don't quite understand how a player that started 40 games for Alabama isn't good enough to at least be a late round draft choice?

Of course, I'm prejudiced and hope for the best for the Big Guy!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

I'm glad that Emil Ekiyor is getting a chance with the Colts.  I don't quite understand how a player that started 40 games for Alabama isn't good enough to at least be a late round draft choice?

I had the same exact question...hope he comes out with a chip on his shoulder!!

6 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2023/05/05/colts-why-og-emil-ekiyor-jr-went-from-projected-4th-rounder-to-udfa/70186908007/ 
Knee injuries for o linemen, especially ones that require arthroscopic surgery scare teams away. It also appears his performance at the combine was not enough to convince a team that the knee was not an issue. I hope he does well with the Colts. 

• Like 1