Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

The Southwest Conference thoughts

First off, I want to make clear this is pure speculation/wishful thinking.  With all the recent news of Vincennes and Jasper joining the SIAC and the possibility of mergers in other conferences, I can't help but wonder what thoughts if any people might have on another possibility.  I know that when the Southwest Conference (Southwest Seven) was formed, that the founding members did not want to include 3A schools.  However, since times have changed, what would the possibility be of Washington and Princeton possibly joining the Southwest Conference since it is a football only conference?

• Like 1

That would leave Mt. Vernon (Posey) and Booneville to join the PAC.  That is an interesting thought. 

Would that makes sense for Washington and Princeton?  I would argue it does for football, but probably not for other sports.  How many schools in the conference have soccer, wrestling, baseball, softball, golf, tennis, swimming?

But I like the outside the box thinking!

I'm sure both Washington and Princeton would love the thought of playing 1A and small 2A teams, and getting their W's a little higher.... maybe help get kids on the field if they can win a few more games.  But at the same time... going from Big 8 to Southwest Indiana prolly doesn't do much for their pride factor.  What options are there?  I could see both pushing to PAC... I don't think PLAC is an option... WIC could be a drive.  I wonder if the  now Big 4 would try to pull teams like Linton, North Knox, North CEntral or Eastern Greene in the fold... which is I suppose the bulk of Southwest Conference if we add N.Daviess. 

6 hours ago, Miner_Pride said:

I'm sure both Washington and Princeton would love the thought of playing 1A and small 2A teams, and getting their W's a little higher.... maybe help get kids on the field if they can win a few more games.  But at the same time... going from Big 8 to Southwest Indiana prolly doesn't do much for their pride factor.  What options are there?  I could see both pushing to PAC... I don't think PLAC is an option... WIC could be a drive.  I wonder if the  now Big 4 would try to pull teams like Linton, North Knox, North CEntral or Eastern Greene in the fold... which is I suppose the bulk of Southwest Conference if we add N.Daviess. 

Eastern Greene or Linton to MV would be a  hike!

23 hours ago, Miner_Pride said:

The thing is:  now that Linton is independent again, I really like how the schedule has changed and gotten tougher. Adding Boonville this year is another example of how the days of playing mostly all 1A schools is history. Sure there won't be as many 9 - 0 seasons, but the program is well respected now and is a worthy opponent for most classes to play.  I could agree that a lot of bigger schools would not want to play smaller 1A or 2A schools (or would they?), but when it comes to football, Linton is an exception to the smaller guys against the bigger guys.  I hope they stay independent at least for now.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2019 at 12:52 PM, itiswhatitis said:

The thing is:  now that Linton is independent again, I really like how the schedule has changed and gotten tougher. Adding Boonville this year is another example of how the days of playing mostly all 1A schools is history. Sure there won't be as many 9 - 0 seasons, but the program is well respected now and is a worthy opponent for most classes to play.  I could agree that a lot of bigger schools would not want to play smaller 1A or 2A schools (or would they?), but when it comes to football, Linton is an exception to the smaller guys against the bigger guys.  I hope they stay independent at least for now.

I agree.

On 5/28/2019 at 7:06 PM, Titan20 said:

Eastern Greene or Linton to MV would be a  hike!

True... but we've made treks to Sheridan, Clinton Prairie, Cascade... and currently to Providence in Clarksville, and North Vermillion is a haul...  Yeah.. I would not wanna drive to Mt .Vernon either... and I'm sure that's a shared feeling both ways! 

On 5/29/2019 at 12:52 PM, itiswhatitis said:

I agree to an extent for sure.   Most of us were not happy with huge lop sided wins week in and out...and wanting much more competition..   But.. I worry that we are going to be travelling all over the place to keep 9 games on the schedule. The more teams that get locked into conferences with 8 or 10 teams... the more chance we get dumped... and there just aren't a lot of options...other than pick up games from teams that have openings... and who knows where that leads us!