Head Coach Openings 2023 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $3,162.05 of $3,600 target

Dwenger Football offering scholarships

Just maybe you should have read the entire thread before spouting off. The original negativity expressed was from someone who didn't have a clue about the validity of the expression they had submitted, and now, you've followed along clueless in the exact skewed positioning. My H.S. 11th-grade English teacher always invoked this expression when a class member during a recitation of an answer stood up next to their desk and exclaimed some foolhardy response just ripe with imagined knowledge;  Tsks Tsks, 'A little learning is a dangerous thing.'

• Thanks 1

On 2/28/2023 at 10:13 AM, statmurp_10 said:

No, they do not. Some commenters were just stirring the s**t. BD offers some academic scholarships, which in many situations are not full, but more like financial assistance.

I see it a little differently.  While Dwenger doesn't offer "football" scholarships, cannot deny that the Dwenger football program is promoting school scholarships.  There is an absolute end in mind with their tweet.

Having said this, I have zero problem with it and appreciate the transparency.  Practice is similar with other private schools, I just see Dwenger being open about it.  I have always proposed for private schools to do their thing...just play up a level because of the advantage and let's all move on.  

• Kill me now 1

2 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

I see it a little differently.  While Dwenger doesn't offer "football" scholarships, cannot deny that the Dwenger football program is promoting school scholarships.  There is an absolute end in mind with their tweet.

Having said this, I have zero problem with it and appreciate the transparency.  Practice is similar with other private schools, I just see Dwenger being open about it.  I have always proposed for private schools to do their thing...just play up a level because of the advantage and let's all move on.  

If you look at the financial aid details though, these much less tied directly to the schools and their students than meets the eye.  As an example, if you look at LCSS, it states in its last annual report https://www.lcss.org/apps/pages/AnnualReport, that for 2021-2022 school year, it distributed $3.28 million in financial aid and scholarships to 617 students ... which equates to about two-thirds of LCSS student population ... for an average award of $5,320.  Sounds like a lot until you consider that the financial aid component also likely includes the Choice Scholarship money ... Indiana's fancy way of re-labeling state payments to folks who attend private schools.  That money is really not school-offered money for all intents and purposes.  For LCSS, that was listed as $2,980,174 which leaves around $300,000 of "school money" for scholarships and financial aid ... or roughly $485 average per student who received financial aid or around $300 average per student in the system.   What I'm not sure about in the inclusion of the "financial aid" is the issue of the parish offsets ... reduced tuition amounts for kids out of the system's contributing parishes.  These are offered mainly to Catholic kids whose families are registered parishioners in the parishes that contribute to LCSS.  As such, that money wouldn't be available for "snagging" the general public anyway even if it does or doesn't show up in the financial aid numbers.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, foxbat said:

If you look at the financial aid details though, these much less tied directly to the schools and their students than meets the eye.  As an example, if you look at LCSS, it states in its last annual report https://www.lcss.org/apps/pages/AnnualReport, that for 2021-2022 school year, it distributed $3.28 million in financial aid and scholarships to 617 students ... which equates to about two-thirds of LCSS student population ... for an average award of $5,320.  Sounds like a lot until you consider that the financial aid component also likely includes the Choice Scholarship money ... Indiana's fancy way of re-labeling state payments to folks who attend private schools.  That money is really not school-offered money for all intents and purposes.  For LCSS, that was listed as $2,980,174 which leaves around $300,000 of "school money" for scholarships and financial aid ... or roughly $485 average per student who received financial aid or around $300 average per student in the system.   What I'm not sure about in the inclusion of the "financial aid" is the issue of the parish offsets ... reduced tuition amounts for kids out of the system's contributing parishes.  These are offered mainly to Catholic kids whose families are registered parishioners in the parishes that contribute to LCSS.  As such, that money wouldn't be available for "snagging" the general public anyway even if it does or doesn't show up in the financial aid numbers.

I trust your knowledge on significance of the support…I just didn’t have any issues  with the Dwenger football tweet. 

1 hour ago, Bash Riprock said:

I trust your knowledge on significance of the support…I just didn’t have any issues  with the Dwenger football tweet. 

The "Tweet" is not an official Dwenger Football either. It says it is but it's not. In fact if you look it up the title of "Official" has been removed.

I believe it is a former player's parent or coach who runs the Twitter account. 

To me this is false info a Rumor so to speak and the administration of the GID to take this down. 

2 hours ago, Mebuck said:

The "Tweet" is not an official Dwenger Football either. It says it is but it's not. In fact if you look it up the title of "Official" has been removed.

I believe it is a former player's parent or coach who runs the Twitter account. 

To me this is false info a Rumor so to speak and the administration of the GID to take this down. 

My bad...I did not know that.  I noticed your frustration with my previous post.  Please know I was not trying to offend and I apologize.

Edited by Bash Riprock

If recruiting was prevalent in a hotbed like Fort Wayne, then Dwenger would be just as good as Cathedral. But I maintain, the majority of Dwengers success has come from their pipeline. If I'm wrong, I want to here it from someone within the Dwenger community. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BTF said:

If recruiting was prevalent in a hotbed like Fort Wayne, then Dwenger would be just as good as Cathedral. But I maintain, the majority of Dwengers success has come from their pipeline. If I'm wrong, I want to here it from someone within the Dwenger community. 

You are correct,  the school that did the recruiting was North. Hands down.

8 hours ago, Mebuck said:

You are correct,  the school that did the recruiting was North. Hands down.

Not sure who you are referring to, so I'll take it with a grain of salt. I know of a school both north and south of Dwenger who were the beneficiaries of some transfers (recruiting). I'll say it again, I'm not bothered by recruiting if you've built the type of program that draws kids in from other areas. Just don't play the 'self made' card. "Our community is better than yours. Our players are better than yours. Our coaches are better than yours." None of that holds water with me. It's like Nick Saben widely being considered the best coach in college football. All we really know is that he has the best athletes. Are there 20-30 other men in the coaching profession who could do what he does with the talent that he has? I'm 100% certain.

I wouldn't mind seeing Dwenger step out and do some recruiting. Cathedral, Roncalli, and Chatard keep getting better and better. I'd hate to see the Saints get left in the dust. It's a new era. 

1 hour ago, BTF said:

Not sure who you are referring to, so I'll take it with a grain of salt. I know of a school both north and south of Dwenger who were the beneficiaries of some transfers (recruiting). I'll say it again, I'm not bothered by recruiting if you've built the type of program that draws kids in from other areas. Just don't play the 'self made' card. "Our community is better than yours. Our players are better than yours. Our coaches are better than yours." None of that holds water with me. It's like Nick Saben widely being considered the best coach in college football. All we really know is that he has the best athletes. Are there 20-30 other men in the coaching profession who could do what he does with the talent that he has? I'm 100% certain.

I wouldn't mind seeing Dwenger step out and do some recruiting. Cathedral, Roncalli, and Chatard keep getting better and better. I'd hate to see the Saints get left in the dust. It's a new era. 

A LOT of Chatard's kids come up through their parish schools, so I'm not sure if they are really in the space of "recruiting." 

3 minutes ago, foxbat said:

A LOT of Chatard's kids come up through their parish schools, so I'm not sure if they are really in the space of "recruiting." 

Kudos to them. Catholic kids seem to play with a lot of heart.