Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Ben Davis has its man…

Mann, who teaches geometry and algebra, said he counts those state championship-winning coaches among his friends and mentors. Mann also coached on Mark Haste’s staff at North Central from 2006-08 and Keith Shelton in 2009 and ’10 before moving over to Lawrence Central to coach with West. After the Bears won the Class 5A state title in 2012, Mann joined West at Warren Central, which won the first 6A title in 2013.

Bravo Coach....bravo. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jets said:

Mann, who teaches geometry and algebra, said he counts those state championship-winning coaches among his friends and mentors. Mann also coached on Mark Haste’s staff at North Central from 2006-08 and Keith Shelton in 2009 and ’10 before moving over to Lawrence Central to coach with West. After the Bears won the Class 5A state title in 2012, Mann joined West at Warren Central, which won the first 6A title in 2013.

Bravo Coach....bravo. 

I’m not sure I’d expect that to continue…could be wrong.

12 hours ago, temptation said:

One reason…but I’m not sure it’s exclusively an Indy thing.

I can't speak for any school outside of FWCS. I'm not even sure how it works at Homestead or Carroll. But within FWCS's, a head coach also has to hold a teaching position (unless something's changed over the past couple of years). 

11 hours ago, BTF said:

I can't speak for any school outside of FWCS. I'm not even sure how it works at Homestead or Carroll. But within FWCS's, a head coach also has to hold a teaching position (unless something's changed over the past couple of years). 

“Teaching position” varies from place to place based on my experience.

On 3/9/2023 at 4:18 PM, temptation said:

I’m not sure I’d expect that to continue…could be wrong.

I've beat this drum for a couple years now - but doesn't get much pub as its not a place that most (especially on a football forum) want to go. 

I would venture to guess less than 15% of Head Coaches (in football) are actually in charge of CORE class instruction. (I know, I know PE teachers...it is just as important. And I agree) . The demands of curriculum, lesson plans, Admin pressure, have become just too much to do a good job and try and run a successful program. 

And this is not a slight and/or insult, I think just the reality of the job nowadays. 

I would be interested to know if Coach Mann is remaining in his Math position. 

54 minutes ago, jets said:

I've beat this drum for a couple years now - but doesn't get much pub as its not a place that most (especially on a football forum) want to go. 

I would venture to guess less than 15% of Head Coaches (in football) are actually in charge of CORE class instruction. (I know, I know PE teachers...it is just as important. And I agree) . The demands of curriculum, lesson plans, Admin pressure, have become just too much to do a good job and try and run a successful program. 

And this is not a slight and/or insult, I think just the reality of the job nowadays. 

I would be interested to know if Coach Mann is remaining in his Math position. 

Perhaps there is a lack of appreciation for the fact that coaches are teaching when they are coaching. There have been innumerable posts on this Forum extolling football as a sport that teaches valuable life lessons … a contention with which I wholeheartedly agree. Coaches direct that instruction.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, jets said:

I would venture to guess less than 15% of Head Coaches (in football) are actually in charge of CORE class instruction. 

I'm pretty certain Fort Wayne Community Schools falls into the 15%. If my memory serves me correctly, when the economy tanked in 2008, many schools were in financial disarray. Head coaches in the Fort Wayne schools were forced to re-interview for their teaching positions, and then it would be determined if they held onto their coaching position. I want to say that had something to do with Casey Kolkman leaving North Side after 2009. 

Disclaimer: I am not nor never have worked for FWCS. My information could be off. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2023 at 12:48 PM, Bobref said:

Perhaps there is a lack of appreciation for the fact that coaches are teaching when they are coaching. There have been innumerable posts on this Forum extolling football as a sport that teaches valuable life lessons … a contention with which I wholeheartedly agree. Coaches direct that instruction.

Not sure "life lessons" should be part of the core missions statement of government schools.

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

Not sure "life lessons" should be part of the core missions statement of government schools.

I don't remember Bob indicating it was a core mission.....

I am not trying to be negative or argumentative in any way...just seeking to better understand what is behind your statement.  Question, did you or your children participate in high school athletics?  If so, did you not see that athletics teaches an individual and group of people way more than just the game itself?

2 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

Question, did you or your children participate in high school athletics?  If so, did you not see that athletics teaches an individual and group of people way more than just the game itself?

Yes, and yes.  And sure, there was team comradery and all that, but such things can IMHO better taught and instilled with other activities not sponsored by a government school.

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

Yes, and yes.  And sure, there was team comradery and all that, but such things can IMHO better taught and instilled with other activities not sponsored by a government school.

thanks....sounds like we had different experiences as it was more than comradery for my children and myself.  I guess my expectation is that good coaches should teach you more than the game, as most people will stop playing the game when high school ends, so what does a person really take with them to apply to life?  I don't think it matters if the entity is a private or public, as I think we'd all agree that much of education occurs outside of the classroom.  Maybe call it a tangible benefit, such as icing on a cake.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1