Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Bears 2023

Bobref

some concerns with the arm length of NW kid, but hometown kid would be great story for sure, however, I seem to lean more toward Paris Johnson JR from OSU personally 

Question is this, you draft one of those 2 tackles, where do they go?  RT?  You spent all year developing last years gem of a pick who by all accounts looks the part moving forward.  

• 1 month later...

LOVE this pick:   

1.  got a 4th next year to move back 1 spot, that was AWESOME

2.  Listened late last night to POLES presser, loved how they broke this kid down in their private workout weekend before Easter with OL coach, taught him schemes, adjustments to scheme, then got him winded, with putting him thru the paces, then cardio stufff followed by recall of calls at the line etc and he handled it without any issues!!   

3. LOVE that he has faced the BEST OF THE BEST last 3 years and started and played a lot of games at AN ALL CONFERENCE level his final year.   

Checked a lot of boxes!!  Beautiful. 

Very excited for tonight's 3 picks, wouldn't surprise me to see POLES move up to snag a impact Defended he doesn't see dropping:  Hint PORTER JR Hint 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

https://deadspin.com/chicago-bears-2023-season-start-1850849594

The Chicago Bears are 0-2 to start the season. It’s certainly not the first time the “Monsters of the Midway” have started the season 0-2. After all, we lived through the John Fox era, but somehow, after several seasons of big expectations, and devastating results, this season’s start feels worse than most.

Okay, so we’re only two games in. Plenty of time to turn it around, right? Wrong. Bears fans have seen this movie before. Straight to streaming.

The most frustrating thing, by far, about the Chicago Bears is that they always, always seem to make the wrong decision. No matter the choice, no matter the position. If the McCaskey family is somehow involved, rest assured that they will somehow manage to pick the absolute worst person for the job.

Did you know Bill Belichick interviewed to be head coach of the team back in 1999? The Bears picked Dick Jauron (35-45) instead. They also had a shot at Bruce Arians and Andy Reid ahead of the 2013 season, but instead chose…Marc Trestman. As far as I can tell, Trestman is now an adjunct professor at the University of Miami Law School. No, I don’t know why.

After Trestman, who was supposed to be the Bears’ progressive “Moneyball” pick, the team (for some reason) hired Ernie Accorsi to help them land his buddy, John Fox (14-34), which was the pendulum swinging all the way back if I’ve ever seen it. Trestman was terrible, so screw analytics! Back to a good ol’ smash-mouth football coach. That might have been great if Fox was a decent smash-mouth football coach. He was not.

When Fox inevitably flopped, the team bypassed hotshot Rams’ QB coach Matt LaFleur in favor of Matt Nagy (34-31), a guy who came to Chicago and decided his team didn’t need to run the football. The 2018 season was fun, but Nagy always seemed to think about offensive schemes the way Brian Wilson thought about harmonies — they never quite worked out in real life the way they did in his head. I’ve blocked out most of Nagy’s final year in Chicago, and my brain has condensed it all down into an imaginary GIF of Nagy yelling “The system works! THE SYSTEM WORKS!” while slowly melting into the ground. He also definitely said “penis” instead of “peanuts” while singing the Cubs’ seventh-inning stretch, but that’s neither here nor there. Nagy is now back calling plays in KC under Andy Reid. Who, if you’ll remember, the Bears could have hired in 2012.

I’m not even sure where to begin with QBs. Outside of Jay Cutler, the Bears have had a decent passing quarterback in my lifetime. You know the infamous graphic that shows up every time the Bears play the Packers? The one showing all the failed QBs the Bears have had during the reigns of Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers? That really tells you everything you need to know.

Should we start with Cade McNown? He was the Bears’ first-round pick in 1999 (at 12). All I’ll say about Cade is that he finished his NFL career (which lasted a whole three years) with a passer rating of 67.7. There was Jay Cutler, the best Bears QB in recent memory. The Chicago O-line once allowed him to be sacked nine times in a half. He left that game concussed and the team exasperated in 2015.

This brings us to Mitch Trubisky, and this one is a doozy. The Bears selected Trubisky with the second overall pick in the 2017 draft. Hilariously, the Bears’ official draft party was hosted by Mike “They told me this is my team!” Glennon, who had to watch the Bears draft his replacement without any sort of heads up from the team, shortly after he’d won a 3-year, $45 million contract from GM Ryan Pace (and the history of Bears’ GMs is a whole ‘nother article and one that I am too sad and tired to tell).

2017, as you may recall, was the same year Patrick Mahomes and Deshaun Watson were both available. The Bears met with Mahomes but didn’t even bother to meet with Watson which, in hindsight, was a great decision for a whole host of other reasons that were unknown at the time. Chicago gets zero credit for this one.

Why wouldn’t the Bears be interested in Watson, you ask? Well, I would love to tell you. It’s because former GM Ryan Pace was so laser-focused on one Mitch Trubisky that he may have watched some of Trubisky’s college games (where he wasn’t even the starting QB) in disguise, so concerned was he that he would tip someone off to the hidden gem that was Mitch Trubisky. And Trubisky’s UNC team didn’t even win the game! Pace, who came from the New Orleans Saints, spoke often about wanting a QB “like Drew Brees.” Fans just didn’t realize he meant someone who actually looked like Drew Brees.

To bring this long, sad tale to an end, the Bears wound up trading away three draft picks — moving up one single, solitary spot — to take Trubisky with the second overall pick. Out of fear he wouldn‘t be there at three, I guess? Mahomes went at 10 and Watson at 12. Trubisky might have been a decent starting QB. At least, we saw flashes of what looked like a decent QB under whatever Nagy was trying to do with him, which seemed to be making a quarterback prized (by Ryan Pace) for his mobility stand in the pocket and throw. But Trubisky now sees ghosts, thanks to an offensive line that could do very little to keep giant men from landing on top of their young quarterback. He’ll never be the same.

But this is what Chicago does. It’s where QBs go to die.

So sure, Matt Eberflus (3-16). He’ll be here for a few years, the Bears will be miserable to mediocre, and I still won’t be able to pick him out of a lineup. Justin Fields, another top draft pick who came in with a lot of hype, and promise, will be a shell of his former self once Offensive Coordinator Luke Getsy is done with him. The names and faces change, but the song remains the same. None of this matters. Nothing matters.

As long as the McCaskeys own the team, the Bears are condemned to NFL purgatory — bad enough to happen upon a big draft pick once in a while, only to make the absolute wrong choice, and inevitably get bounced during Wild Card Weekend.

Yep.  Most Bears fans, myself included, are still hanging on due to the decades of goodwill brought on by one of the best teams in NFL history, the 1985 Bears.   But for me that goodwill is almost spent.  I actually find myself paying more attention to what is going on with the Colts than with my beloved Bears.     

And I agree that the McCaskeys need to go.  

• Like 1

What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is going on with the Bears? 0-2 and looking really bad, heading to Arrowhead this week. Defensive Coordinator resigns precipitously for “personal reasons.” Rumors of the FBI raiding Halas Hall. QB was quoted as saying the coaches are screwing him up … then he takes it back. Such high hopes, but it merely looks like the dumpster fire has been rekindled.

11 minutes ago, Bobref said:

What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is going on with the Bears? 0-2 and looking really bad, heading to Arrowhead this week. Defensive Coordinator resigns precipitously for “personal reasons.” Rumors of the FBI raiding Halas Hall. QB was quoted as saying the coaches are screwing him up … then he takes it back. Such high hopes, but it merely looks like the dumpster fire has been rekindled.

It's a never ending dumpster fire under the current ownership.

28 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

It's a never ending dumpster fire under the current ownership.

1. Agreed, but I still have hope in Warren and Poles to turn it around. Poles has some learning to do on his FA acquisitions as Claypool and Davis are looking like busts. 
  2. I heard on a Chicago sports podcast that Warren was visibly pissed after the Bucs lost and let it be known how pissed he was on the flight back from Tampa
  3. There was no FBI raid
  4. The DC has been away from the team for health and family reasons. Nothing nefarious.
  5. I think Fields doesn't fit the direction the Bears want to go and they're giving him one last chance to figure it out as they've built up enough draft capital and the '24 draft has Williams and Maye. Fields can't sit in the pocket and find the open read. It's discussed ad nauseum on Chicago sports radio how many times per game the All 22 Film shows him missing wide open WR's when he's holding onto the ball or throwing check down passes. Some WR's were visibly unhappy during the Tampa game. He may not feel comfortably, but the Bears may not want a QB that's running all of the time and can only throw on bootlegs or by getting out of the pocket.
13 hours ago, temptation said:

IMG_0463.jpeg

At least CJ Stroud actually looked like a competent QB on Sunday. Honestly, it's surprising some of those names even threw a pass in the NFL. Of course Krenzel was with the Bears.

Edited by Boilernation
  • Like 1

Woe is a Chicago Bears fan: https://deadspin.com/chicago-bears-fans-alan-williams-justin-fields-1850860136

It’s obvious a fandom is completely beaten down and without hope when all they ask for is for their team to just be bad and unnoticeable.

To merely fade into the background of an NFL season as nothing more than a name in the standings. But no, it’s never that easy in Chicago with the Bears. They’re still news when they’re awful, and even more so when they insist on being dysfunctional, weird, and incompetent to a degree unmatched by anyone.

The thing is, it would have been a bad enough day at Halas Hall on Wednesday without the confusing and mysterious resignation of Alan Williams as defensive coordinator. While the heart of it still remains out of the mainstream as crazy rumors fly around on Twitter, it is worth asking why one needs a lawyer to speak for him during a “health concern.” We’ll leave that for another time when we know more.

Buried underneath that rubble was the fact that the Bears put their starting left tackle, Braxton Jones, on IR with a neck injury that no one seems to know when it occurred. He played the whole game against Tampa. Was it on the plane? Drive home? Has he been carrying it all season, possibly contributing to his poor play. That’s a bad day all to itself, and worthy of a ton of scrutiny.

It’s the third item on a Wednesday for the Bears.

That would have been enough on its own. And yet there was Justin Fields airing out his coaches in his weekly presser, probably rightly, and then calling the media back to the locker room so he could “clarify,” i.e. mostly likely had a member of the PR staff tell him to make it clear that he wasn’t bus-tossing a coaching staff and particularly an OC in Luke Getsy that have done exactly nothing to put him a position to succeed, no matter how limited he might actually be.

What’s been clear is that Fields has been overloaded with instruction and changes from last season, and the whole thing has made him gun shy and hesitant. Both Fields and the coaching staff have overcorrected from the run-happy tactics of last season, which both recognized wouldn’t be a long-term idea for success on its own. But that hardly means it should have been abandoned as it has through the first two weeks of this season.

But it’s always this way with the Bears. They have to be weird and notably so while they’re also wasting everyone’s time. It certainly trickles down from ownership, a group of sheltered weirdos who have never held another job other than driving this team into the ditch, and as a close friend described them, spend their free time drinking room temperature chocolate milk in some speakeasy in the far northern suburbs. And they have a habit of hiring other weirdos to actually run the football team, and we keep getting this. Birds of a feather and all that.

They can’t just blow draft picks or make bad signings, though they can do that a ton. They have to announce the hiring of a coach without actually telling him. Or have coaches fired without actually firing them. Or have ownership hire a coach over their GM’s wishes. Or their All-Pro center clobbers another offensive lineman with a weight at a gun range. Or dozens of other stories that seem to only happen to this organization that has lost its relationship with the rails long ago.

It never ends, and all we ask is to suffer in peace. We don’t want the Bears on national TV any more than you do. We don’t want them talked about in the 24-hour news cycle. We understand we’re used as the comfort blanket to make other fandoms feel like it could always be worse. We know it will always be that way. We don’t need it on the front page. And yet…

We’d long to just be Arizona. Inconsequential and out of sight. It’s the saddest, forlorn hope.

Not a bad take for deadspin.

4 hours ago, Irishman said:

Fields was a good athlete in college who happened to play QB. Even in the game against IU, he showed this kind of hesitation. It's crazy to think this turned into a sack. 

And had a roster stacked with NFL WR's and OL that made making reads easier on him. I hope the kid can turn it around, but that clip you showed from the Tampa game is what it is. He hasn't shown the the ability to find the open WR's

On 9/21/2023 at 7:57 AM, Boilernation said:

1. There was no FBI raid
  2. The DC has been away from the team for health and family reasons. Nothing nefarious.

I wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss the rumors. Many reporting now that Williams’ home was raided, and while there was no “raid” at Halas Hall, the FBI was there with forensic people looking at Williams’ computer. Sounds like this bizarre story is still unfolding.

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-bears/alan-williams-details-are-trickling-out-and-its-horrifying/

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

I wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss the rumors. Many reporting now that Williams’ home was raided, and while there was no “raid” at Halas Hall, the FBI was there with forensic people looking at Williams’ computer. Sounds like this bizarre story is still unfolding.

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-bears/alan-williams-details-are-trickling-out-and-its-horrifying/

Why can’t someone in the mainstream media ask why would someone resign for health reason when they can get disability or FMLA protection? So many holes in the story and reporting. It’s so bad that espn has a business relationship with nfl and a news operation and they seem to coverup and make nfl look good as possible. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

How reputable is that site and the guy reporting all of it? Rapaport and Courtney Cronin (Bears beat reporter for ESPN Chicago) both dismissed the rumors. Ryan Poles in his own press conference said there was no reaid on Halas Hall and commented that it was health related. The guy breaking the news, Jon Zaghloul, has no history of breaking news. I don't know what to think. I'm leaning to believing what's being reported by those with legit contacts at Halas Hall vs. random guy running a You Tube site.

11 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

How reputable is that site and the guy reporting all of it? Rapaport and Courtney Cronin (Bears beat reporter for ESPN Chicago) both dismissed the rumors. Ryan Poles in his own press conference said there was no reaid on Halas Hall and commented that it was health related. The guy breaking the news, Jon Zaghloul, has no history of breaking news. I don't know what to think. I'm leaning to believing what's being reported by those with legit contacts at Halas Hall vs. random guy running a You Tube site.

I believe Pat McAfee was quoted extensively. He’s on ESPN now. Yes, it’s rumors. But he’s on the Mothership now, and can’t just say anything he wants. The whole thing is weird. And whether any of it is true, things seem to be snowballing with the Bears on several fronts.

47 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I believe Pat McAfee was quoted extensively. He’s on ESPN now. Yes, it’s rumors. But he’s on the Mothership now, and can’t just say anything he wants. The whole thing is weird. And whether any of it is true, things seem to be snowballing with the Bears on several fronts.

McAfee only mentioned Williams home being raided. If I'm Williams, and no raid really happened as his lawyer keeps saying to the media, I would sut this crap out of McAfee and that Zaghloul dude. 

Nonetheless, I agree that bad news is snowballing with the Bears on several fronts. But, I'll give Poles credit for taking the podium and starting off by not deflecting or sugar coating. He was blunt and immediately said they Bears were facing a lot of adversity and they would fight through it together. He's young, he's made some poor personnel choices, but the guy is showing that he can lead. There has to be a reason he survived multiple regime changes in Kansas City with promotions each time. I'm looking forward to seeing if they can turn this crapstorm into something positive and build momentum as the season progresses. 

45 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

A complete embarrassment.  Time to tank for another #1 draft pick.  And use it this time.

Officially rock bottom, I hope. A loss was inevitable. Being down 34-0 at the Half and Fields playing horrible after a week of running his mouth to the media is franchise not moving forward. Don't forget the Bears have Carolina's #1 pick. At this point the Bears could be line for picks 1 and 2. Let's just hope Williams or Maye don't pull an Eli Manning and refuse to play for the Bears.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Let's just hope Williams or Maye don't pull an Eli Manning and refuse to play for the Bears.

Agreed:  https://deadspin.com/the-chicago-bears-are-what-the-seventh-circle-of-hell-m-1850869163

Things are so bleak that the only hope for Chicago this season is the possibility that they sink far enough to start over with USC’s Caleb Williams.

But given Chicago’s grim history of breaking their quarterbacks, there’s no guarantee that he’d be willing to hop into that burning dumpster fire anyway. Earlier in September, Williams’ father suggested his son could return to school for his senior season rather than get drafted by a putrid offense. For the franchise that passed on Patrick Mahomes for Mitch Trubisky, Williams’ potentially deciding not to play in Chicago would be a cataclysmic development.

I'm more convinced the Bears ownership needs to change.  And hell will probably freeze over before that happens.