Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Bears 2023

Bobref

He has looked sharp and helpful. 

Could he be having a year like Hurts if he is that QB on that team?   I would say that he would be VERY good, I think 🙂

It seems like the injury has helped him reset and see the game better, also seems like Getsy has started to understand and coach what he has UP FRONT to then get JF in positions to be more successful. 

ok, that was comically bad, but thats the NFL in nutshell.   Not enough GOOD OL and not enough GOOD QB play and you get an NFL weekend we just saw and culminated with that thrilling 12-10 victory by DA BEARS.....

Now, lets reexamine Flus here:   Something that I think has been pretty impressive, coaching large market, literally having 2 coaches fired by HR, one being a Coordinator , losing a capable enough but not good QB to injury and playing a D2 guy, and having quite possible the worst Offensive Line ever assembled, he has maintain his composure, he has stood up in front of those men at Halas Hall and has kept the ship moving in a COMPETITIVE direction.  That defense plays so hard still and I think gettin Sweat has really helped obviously.   Something to be said about all of that in my opinion.   

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

ok, that was comically bad, but thats the NFL in nutshell.   Not enough GOOD OL and not enough GOOD QB play and you get an NFL weekend we just saw and culminated with that thrilling 12-10 victory by DA BEARS.....

Now, lets reexamine Flus here:   Something that I think has been pretty impressive, coaching large market, literally having 2 coaches fired by HR, one being a Coordinator , losing a capable enough but not good QB to injury and playing a D2 guy, and having quite possible the worst Offensive Line ever assembled, he has maintain his composure, he has stood up in front of those men at Halas Hall and has kept the ship moving in a COMPETITIVE direction.  That defense plays so hard still and I think gettin Sweat has really helped obviously.   Something to be said about all of that in my opinion.   

Last night was like watching Iowa play Iowa. 

I agree regarding Flus. Poles even mentioned in a presser about 2 weeks ago how impressed he was with the energy and focus Flus brings to the team on a weekly basis. My guess though is he's gone. Albert Breer reported yesterday that the Bears were likely going to move on from Flus and that Kevin Warren wanted more influence in the decision making. I don't think that's necessarily bad as he has the right to have some influence over Poles. If Flus is let go and doesn't decide to take a year off, he'll likely be picked up very quickly as a DC. IMO, he's done a solid job taking over DC duties after the previous DC was fired. 

Regarding Poles, I think he's safe. I can't imagine Warren would OK his GM trading away a 2nd round pick and locking Sweat into a long term deal if he planned on firing said GM. 

It'll be interesting to see how they handle Fields. I was hoping he would firmly cement himself as QB1 and the Bears picked up the 5th year option. That would allow the Bears to potentially not have to use one of their 2 Top 5 picks on a QB.  At this point I don't see how Poles can risk his future on Fields. I'm hoping he goes with Maye if he does draft a QB. 

And please hire an offensive minded HC.

to be fair, I think most consensus amongst all the so called pundits had Young over Stroud anyways.  

Question I have, let's say Justin Fields is on, Eagles, or 49ers.  2 great offensive lines and playmakers all around him.  What does he look like then??  I'd venture to say hands down QB 1 in the league.   Something to ponder, but so hard to really know bc the Bears OL is SO SO SO SO BAD it has hurt his progression so much over the last 3 years 

54 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

to be fair, I think most consensus amongst all the so called pundits had Young over Stroud anyways.  

Question I have, let's say Justin Fields is on, Eagles, or 49ers.  2 great offensive lines and playmakers all around him.  What does he look like then??  I'd venture to say hands down QB 1 in the league.   Something to ponder, but so hard to really know bc the Bears OL is SO SO SO SO BAD it has hurt his progression so much over the last 3 years 

So, the Bears have two picks out of the first 4 or 5 in the draft. And 2 second round picks as well. They are getting a very nice season out of the rookie tackle, Darnell Wright. I think Joe Alt would look pretty good in a Bears’ uniform. Last night Fields was really good … but he was pressured, if not running for his life, on nearly every dropback. Imagine what he can do with a competent offensive line.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I am not sure I can invest any top 5 picks for OL.   2nd round sure thing.  

Ordinarily I would agree. But they don’t usually have 2 out of the first 5. But if lots of GMs feel that way, they could always trade down with that 4-5 pick. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bobref said:

So, the Bears have two picks out of the first 4 or 5 in the draft. And 2 second round picks as well. They are getting a very nice season out of the rookie tackle, Darnell Wright. I think Joe Alt would look pretty good in a Bears’ uniform. Last night Fields was really good … but he was pressured, if not running for his life, on nearly every dropback. Imagine what he can do with a competent offensive line.

Are you guys forgetting how long he holds onto the ball when he does have time to throw? He held the ball for a whopping 6 seconds on the play he hurt his thumb against Minnesota. And he fumbles, a lot. I'm not seeing him as QB1 with Philly's OL. The all 22 film consistantly shows him missing wide open WR's. IDK. If I'm Poles I'm cutting ties with a QB I didn't draft and bringing someone in on a rookie friendly deal that frees up more cash. 

4 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Honestly, I think he would look like a QB that holds the ball too long and misses open reads. I could be wrong, but I thought Stroud was trending as the presumed #1 pick closer to the draft until it leaked that Carolina was taking Young. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t usually listen to that stuff, because all you get is “coachspeak,” but I heard part of an interview with Coach Eberflus today. Honestly, listening to him butcher the language, and struggle to complete a thought, made me yearn for Dave Wannstedt.

Incidentally, little known fact. Wannstedt was the model for the bust outside the International Bad Mustache Hall of Fame.

image.jpeg.76b9075797a83c2720f589e91c8cd5be.jpeg

Edited by Bobref

On 12/11/2023 at 5:19 PM, Bobref said:

I don’t usually listen to that stuff, because all you get is “coachspeak,” but I heard part of an interview with Coach Eberflus today. Honestly, listening to him butcher the language, and struggle to complete a thought, made me yearn for Dave Wannstedt.

Incidentally, little known fact. Wannstedt was the model for the bust outside the International Bad Mustache Hall of Fame.

image.jpeg.76b9075797a83c2720f589e91c8cd5be.jpeg

Come now Bob, these coaches are supposedly working 14-16 hours a day, day after day, week after week during the season.  Eberflus is probably so exhausted he can't think straight and Wannstedt had better things to do than worry about his mustache.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2023 at 1:04 PM, Bobref said:

Please stop.

Product on the field has progressed nicely this season, Flus has some responsibility for that.  Seems like he has a locker room full of Loyal players to him, in NFL, that MEANS a lot.   The impact of Montez Sweat has been OUTSTANDING which has been backed up by own naked eye along with the data posted. 

So @Bobref,   assuming you are saying, give you Harbaugh and call it a day?   If not Harbaugh, who would you suggest be a good choice since you have moved on from FLUS.  

27 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

So @Bobref,   assuming you are saying, give you Harbaugh and call it a day?   If not Harbaugh, who would you suggest be a good choice since you have moved on from FLUS.

I don’t know. But then again, I’m not the GM of the Bears, being paid several million $$ a year to know the answer. I bet he’s better at it than me. At least, we better hope so.

• Haha 1

On 12/13/2023 at 3:23 PM, Coach Nowlin said:

Product on the field has progressed nicely this season, Flus has some responsibility for that.  Seems like he has a locker room full of Loyal players to him, in NFL, that MEANS a lot.   The impact of Montez Sweat has been OUTSTANDING which has been backed up by own naked eye along with the data posted. 

I'm looking forward to seeing how Fields plays against a solid Browns defense. The Flus/Fields situation is starting to get interesting. The Bears can really do some damage in the draft if they don't have to go QB with the #1 pick. I have no idea what the market in terms of draft picks would be if they did trade Fields. 

My assumption is they both stay or both go. I can't imagine they would keep Flus and give him a rookie QB. Likewise, I can't imagine them keeping Fields and giving him a new HC/OC. 

On 12/18/2023 at 10:20 AM, Coach Nowlin said:

Seems like another Bo Callahan situation 

Haha. I haven't seen Draft Day so I had to google who the heck "Bo Callahan" is. UYou're analogy is over my head. I'm fully convinced at this point Fields is gone. Poles already passed on Stroud last year. He can't keep his job if Fields never works out (even if it's the OL and/or OC issues holding Fields back) and he passed on a franchise QB 2 years in a row. 

He can get the 2nd round pick back that he used on Sweat if he trades Fields. Someone, possibly Atlanta, will give a 2nd rounder for Fields.  The question then is do they end up with Williams, Maye, or Nix. Nix was someone that I assumed was a system QB in Oregon until I actually watched them play this year. He was throwing his WR's open with a lot of nice passes in every game I watched. 

Arizon and New England are now giving Carolina a run for that #1 pick. It's possible the Bears may not even have pick #1 if they end up parting ways with Fields.

On a side note, how much does it suck being a Bears fan? It's Week 16 and all we've had to talk about hte past few weeks is whether nor not Flus and Fields stay.