Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Akron Hoban

So I was browsing looking at schedules and came across Linton's. I see where they schedule Akron Hoban. I know Linton having a hard time finding teams. Aren't they like really really good. Kinda like Mater Dei? Just curious if anyone knows anything about them?

2 hours ago, Ugminer said:

So I was browsing looking at schedules and came across Linton's. I see where they schedule Akron Hoban. I know Linton having a hard time finding teams. Aren't they like really really good. Kinda like Mater Dei? Just curious if anyone knows anything about them?

Ohio Division 2 state champs. Comparable to a 5A/6A state champ in Indiana. Probably not a good match up for the miners! 

Is this true? Starting in 2015, Hoban won 5 of 6 Div. 2 championships, and they’ve been runners up the last 2 seasons. They routinely go toe to toe with Div. 1 heavyweights St. Edward and St. Ignatius. According to Calpreps, if the 2022 versions of these teams had played on a neutral field, the Knights win 62-13, fwiw.

We have had a pretty good presence from Linton on here in the past. I’d love to have someone share what the thought process was in Linton making this game. The Miners are a traditionally very successful program, with a great fan base … for an Indiana 2A school. But Hoban is on a totally different level. Take last season as an example. Linton finished 13-1 in 2A, losing only to eventual state champ Mater Dei in the semistate. A great season. But think about Linton trying to match up with Center Grove.

Hoban was Div. 2 (corresponding roughly to Indiana’s 5A) state runner up … which is actually below their average finish in the last 8 seasons. Yet, Calpreps has this to say about a matchup between Hoban and Center Grove last year:

neutral field
[2022] Archbishop Hoban (Akron, OH) 35 (73%), [2022] Center Grove (Greenwood, IN) 26 (27%)

That’s how good an average Hoban team is … compared to Indiana’s 3 time defending 6A champs.

The better question is why would Hoban want this game? Beating a 2A school doesn’t do much for their point accumulation under Ohio’s playoff qualification system. Even though Linton is likely to have a successful season, Hoban won’t accumulate a lot of “second level” points, since Linton plays small schools. It’s a head-scratcher.

Edited by Bobref

Archbishop Hoban (13-2) last season with losses to Lakewood St. Ed and Toledo Central Catholic in the Division II State final game.    Wins over Cleveland St. Ignatius, Erie (PA) Cathedral Prep, Massillon Washington, and Hudson.     Linton will look strange on their schedule this season.     

1 hour ago, whiteshoes said:

Archbishop Hoban (13-2) last season with losses to Lakewood St. Ed and Toledo Central Catholic in the Division II State final game.    Wins over Cleveland St. Ignatius, Erie (PA) Cathedral Prep, Massillon Washington, and Hudson.     Linton will look strange on their schedule this season.     

Both state champs in Div. 1 & 2, respectively.

• 1 month later...
On 3/19/2023 at 4:06 PM, tango said:

Maybe Linton just wants to get beat by a Catholic school other than Mater Dei for a change?

Could always hope that they and LCC both advance in 2A and do a repeat of the 2015 LOS thing.

On 4/28/2023 at 8:22 AM, WWFan said:

Now Linton picks up Phalen Academy week 9. Start up program with 1 win. Now they went full opposite of the spectrum. Was really hoping them and Lutheran would play.

My apologies. 3 wins. But you get my point

This whole time i have seen Lutheran needing a team for week 9, and was hoping. Then I see this and its like what the ..... 

On 4/29/2023 at 11:34 AM, Ugminer said:

This whole time i have seen Lutheran needing a team for week 9, and was hoping. Then I see this and its like what the ..... 

Yea. Poorly missed opportunity. Not only could Linton and Lutheran have played but Phalan could've scheduled South Decatur which is more in line for them

• 3 months later...
10 hours ago, WWFan said:

Guess we see why. Good showing by Linton. Up 17 with 10 min to go. Don't I look like a doofus

Linton played Decatur St. Theresa last night.  They were Illinois 2a state champs last year.  The Miners are not playing Akron Hoban.  They picked up 4a Western instead.

6 minutes ago, LawrenceGreene said:

Linton played Decatur St. Theresa last night.  They were Illinois 2a state champs last year.  The Miners are not playing Akron Hoban.  They picked up 4a Western instead.

Well guess I should post on here while in Vegas 😂. Didn't pay enough attention. Either way....good win for Linton!