Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Cathedral’s O’Neil to Colorado…

1 hour ago, OldGriz said:

Bobref - Can you clarify what you mean by let the real recruiting begin?  He had a lot of other offers and from what I hear the key was the OC Sean Lewis.  

Once a kid commits well ahead of time, it really cuts down on the # of competitors. In the new world of NIL many commits flip when a better deal comes along.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
On 3/21/2023 at 5:01 PM, Bobref said:

Let the real recruiting begin!

I’ve got a $25 donation to the GID that says he doesn’t go there.

And to think, I got downvoted by @temptation for this. Ironically, he’s the one who introduced me to the concept of keeping “receipts.”

Quarterback Danny O'Neil decommits from Colorado

The Indianapolis (Ind.) Cathedral passer had been a verbal to Deion Sanders and the Buffaloes since March.

Indianapolis (Ind.) Cathedral quarterback Danny O'Neil has decommitted from Colorado, backing off a verbal to the Buffaloes he gave back in March over Illinois and others.

O’Neil was especially close with Colorado offensive coordinator Sean Lewis, but with the change in responsibilities within the Buffaloes program, that altered the way O’Neil looked at the program.

Northwestern is in the mix for O’Neil moving forward led by the efforts of offensive coordinator Mike Bajakian.

Wherever Lewis lands next could also be a major factor for O’Neil who ranks as 247Sports’ No. 34 quarterback.

“The landscape of college programs and coaches will be dramatically different by midweek,” O’Neil’s father Mike told 247Sports over the weekend.

Cincinnati, Houston, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisville, Purdue, Syracuse, Toledo, Tulane and Wake Forest were among the schools that also extended O’Neil a scholarship the first time he went through is process.

The 6-foot, 185-pound O’Neil has been one of the Midwest’s top signal-callers the last three seasons. In his time as a starter at Cathedral he’s won a state championship and threw for 7,786 yards and 98 touchdowns, completing over 62 percent of his attempts. O’Neil has also rushed for 1,326 yards and 27 more scores.

“He’s an incredible competitor,” Cathedral head coach Bill Peebles said. “Incredibly intelligent. Obviously has great arm. Great accuracy with it. A complete deal.”

O’Neil competed in the Elite 11 Finals this summer. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/24/2023 at 12:42 PM, temptation said:

So you were sweating bullets until your spouse signed the marriage license?

hell no

the sweating starts after they sign it

you just signed away half of your shit

don't get married people

oh this is old, here I am reading old information

Edited by Rodney
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Bobref said:

And to think, I got downvoted by @temptation for this. Ironically, he’s the one who introduced me to the concept of keeping “receipts.”

Quarterback Danny O'Neil decommits from Colorado

The Indianapolis (Ind.) Cathedral passer had been a verbal to Deion Sanders and the Buffaloes since March.

Indianapolis (Ind.) Cathedral quarterback Danny O'Neil has decommitted from Colorado, backing off a verbal to the Buffaloes he gave back in March over Illinois and others.

O’Neil was especially close with Colorado offensive coordinator Sean Lewis, but with the change in responsibilities within the Buffaloes program, that altered the way O’Neil looked at the program.

Northwestern is in the mix for O’Neil moving forward led by the efforts of offensive coordinator Mike Bajakian.

Wherever Lewis lands next could also be a major factor for O’Neil who ranks as 247Sports’ No. 34 quarterback.

“The landscape of college programs and coaches will be dramatically different by midweek,” O’Neil’s father Mike told 247Sports over the weekend.

Cincinnati, Houston, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisville, Purdue, Syracuse, Toledo, Tulane and Wake Forest were among the schools that also extended O’Neil a scholarship the first time he went through is process.

The 6-foot, 185-pound O’Neil has been one of the Midwest’s top signal-callers the last three seasons. In his time as a starter at Cathedral he’s won a state championship and threw for 7,786 yards and 98 touchdowns, completing over 62 percent of his attempts. O’Neil has also rushed for 1,326 yards and 27 more scores.

“He’s an incredible competitor,” Cathedral head coach Bill Peebles said. “Incredibly intelligent. Obviously has great arm. Great accuracy with it. A complete deal.”

O’Neil competed in the Elite 11 Finals this summer. 

O'Neil will probably follow Sean Lewis to wherever he goes (depending on where he goes). Could be Oklahoma.

16 minutes ago, Indiana Fan said:

Colorado got a commitment from one the top QB’s in the country a few weeks ago. From Werner robbins georgia. Not sure if that played into it as well

I'm willing to bet that it did. Football can be cruel. A high school quarterback could head into college as the "golden boy", the resurrection of a program. Unfortunately, there's three other quarterbacks at the same school with the same lofty expectations of their own careers. Case in point.............Tyler Buchner. Had he chosen to go to Indiana he could very well be an NFL prospect. It's also about development. In some cases, a quarterback comes out of college worse than what he was in high school. Massive decision for a kid. 

1 hour ago, Indiana Fan said:

Colorado got a commitment from one the top QB’s in the country a few weeks ago. From Werner robbins georgia. Not sure if that played into it as well

TWO QB’s decommitted today…

https://www.si.com/college/2023/11/27/deion-sanders-loses-three-commitments-after-taking-shot-ncaa-recruiting-policy

“A kid ain’t even faithful to his girlfriend. You think (he’s) gonna be faithful to a school? Come on, man. That’s an emotional thing,” Sanders said, per The Athletic’s David Ubben

“What I wish the NCAA would do, if you’re committed somewhere, you can’t go on any other visits,” he continued. “If you’re committed, that means you’re committed. You can’t go on no other visits. Why would you be committed but you’re still letting kids go on other visits? That means you just playing.”

Ha, come on PRIME, welcome to the real big time College Football, job is never done until they exhaust their eligibility these days.   Literally 5 levels of recruiting now in 2023, verbals, ha, what's everyone say, when kid gives Verbal, that is when the real recruitment begins.   Poor Prime.  

1. HS. Prospect Early Signing (DEC)

2. Your Own Team (DEC) 

3.  Portal 1st Time (Dec) 

4.  Late HS Signing date (FEB)

5.  Spring Portal 

12 hours ago, Indiana Fan said:

If you are talking about Antwan Hill Jr. he is class of 2025 not 2024, and he announced he was pulling his recruitment from Colorado also . So I don't think that has anything to do with it. I think he developed a relationship with Sean Lewis (who recruited him to Colorado), and there is instability at Colorado with the coaches. When Coach Sanders took play calling duties from Coach Lewis, I think that set the stage for Coach Lewis to leave Colorado. O'Neil may follow Coach Lewis to where he lands (likely as an Offensive CoOrdinator).

247 Sports has their crystal ball set as UK where O'Neil will land. His offers list are: Cincinnati, U-Conn, Houston, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisville, Marshall, Miami (OH), Northwestern, Ohio, Purdue, Syracuse, Toledo, Tulane, Wake Forest, West Virginia, Western Michigan, and of course Colorado. Some new schools have jumped in since he pulled his commit to Colorado. IndyStar (Kyle Neddenriep) ran an article about it last night after talking to O'Neil. 

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2023/11/27/indianapolis-qb-danny-oneil-says-colorado-staff-changes-led-to-decommitment-recruiting-deion-sanders/71724260007/

Danny O'Neil explains why he decommitted from Colorado: 'Instability across the board.'

4d182982-92ae-496b-854c-fd02b954110b-kneKyle Neddenriep
Indianapolis Star

Through his senior year of high school football, Danny O’Neil had no plans to decommit from Colorado.

When O’Neil committed to new coach Deion Sanders in March following a visit, he described the Boulder campus and football program as one that “checked every box.” But eight months later, that is no longer the case for the one of the state’s top quarterbacks.

On Monday, O’Neil said he was reopening his recruitment from the Buffaloes. Colorado started fast in Sanders’ first season, but closed with a six-game losing streak that dropped the team to 4-8 and sitting home during bowl season.

A big reason for O’Neil’s commitment to Colorado was a connection with offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach Sean Lewis. During the season, Lewis was stripped of the play-calling duties by Sanders and analyst Pat Shurmur was moved into a co-coordinator role, including calling the offensive plays.

After Colorado’s season-closing 23-17 loss to Utah on Saturday, Sanders hinted to “a few changes” coming to the coaching staff during the offseason. Tight ends coach Tim Brewster announced his resignation Sunday.

“I’ll just say that I don’t know much of it is public knowledge, but there are some things going on behind the scenes with the possibility of coaching changes and instability across the board,” O’Neil said Monday in an interview with IndyStar. “I don’t want to go into (a program) and lose a head coach or a coordinator.”

O’Neil said he never had second thoughts about Colorado through the season. The 6-1, 190-pound O’Neil, rated as a three-star prospect, completed 61.6% of his passes as a senior for 2,068 yards and 31 touchdowns with 10 interceptions and rushed for 722 yards and eight TDs.

“For the longest time, Colorado checked all the boxes,” he said. “They had a stable coaching staff and everything about it is a great school, a great business program I wanted to get into and great people. The last few weeks I’d been hearing some things and do a little investigating on my own, I’ve been told a few things and decided I should open up my recruitment.”

Another top quarterback recruit, 2025 prospect Antwann Hill Jr., announced Sunday he was pulling his commitment from Colorado.

Illinois and Kentucky were two of the schools that were high on O’Neil’s list prior to his commitment. Louisville, Indiana, Purdue, Northwestern, Syracuse, West Virginia and Wake Forest were also among his offers.

The recruiting cycle will move quickly as the transfer portal opens. The early signing period for high school seniors begins Dec. 21. Brownsburg receiver Corey Smith, another top in-state recruit, announced over the weekend he was pulling his commitment from Minnesota.

O’Neil said he still plans to sign in the early period and will enroll in January. He has three weekends to make visits before signing day.

“There’s a few schools from before and a few new schools that have reached out,” he said. “Nothing is concrete yet. I left those relationships pretty well and didn’t burn any bridges. It’s been busy (on the phone) today. There have been some schools that are more local and some schools that are farther away than Colorado reaching out — some schools down south and out west.”

For his career, O’Neil passed for 7,786 yards and 98 TDs with and rushed for 1,326 yards and 27 scores.

Call Star reporter Kyle Neddenriep at (317) 444-6649.

5 hours ago, FastpacedO said:

I think he developed a relationship with Sean Lewis (who recruited him to Colorado), and there is instability at Colorado with the coaches. When Coach Sanders took play calling duties from Coach Lewis, I think that set the stage for Coach Lewis to leave Colorado. O'Neil may follow Coach Lewis to where he lands (likely as an Offensive CoOrdinator).

Keep an eye on IU, sounding like Sean Lewis may be a serious candidate to be IU's next head coach. 

14 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Ha, come on PRIME, welcome to the real big time College Football, job is never done until they exhaust their eligibility these days.   Literally 5 levels of recruiting now in 2023, verbals, ha, what's everyone say, when kid gives Verbal, that is when the real recruitment begins.   Poor Prime.  

1. HS. Prospect Early Signing (DEC)

2. Your Own Team (DEC) 

3.  Portal 1st Time (Dec) 

4.  Late HS Signing date (FEB)

5.  Spring Portal 

You'd think Prime would be well aware or at least just self-aware in that, when he showed up on the Colorado campus, he pretty much told a large number of kids that had already MADE a commitment to the team and had BACKED that in being there already through a horrendous season, that most of their services would no longer be needed.  He can't really believe that that door doesn't swing both ways ... especially before folks are even in the building.