Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Jimtown, Glenn, Bremen leaving NIC for 24-25 seasons.

Breaking on WHME Sports.

Jimtown, Glenn and Bremen have sent letters to Northern Indiana Conference asking to leave the league by 2024-25.

Tippy Valley sent a letter to Three Rivers Conference asking the same.

LaVille and Knox have asked to leave the Hoosier North Athletic Conference.

Rumor has it Rochester turned down a request to join, and Fairfield is entertaining the offer.

image.png.b28ef5ea668ce3b5d5ce5a38fdc629ce.png

Rochester has Knox, Valley, Peru, and Maconaquah on their schedule already as 3a opponents.  Along with a mix of 2a and 1a teams.  There is the possibility of North Miami leaving the TRC also.  This would open up the opportunity to schedule another 3a opponent.  There are possible additions to the TRC that may happen now.  Valley and Rochester will always play.  What don't you understand FinePrint?

interesting that Rochester turned down the request as they seem like perfect fits. Any Zebra faithfuls able to chime and get their point of view.

What are the chances Wawasee entertains the idea? From a competitive standpoint it's got to be pretty appealing

With Plymouth on their current trajectory any chance the Pilgrims might be a target? I know this is probably the longest shot but how many 0-10 teams in a row can you withstand until you do something? Not to mention their entire athletic department is not what it use to be. 

4 minutes ago, npcougar15 said:

interesting that Rochester turned down the request as they seem like perfect fits. Any Zebra faithfuls able to chime and get their point of view.

What are the chances Wawasee entertains the idea? From a competitive standpoint it's got to be pretty appealing

With Plymouth on their current trajectory any chance the Pilgrims might be a target? I know this is probably the longest shot but how many 0-10 teams in a row can you withstand until you do something? Not to mention their entire athletic department is not what it use to be. 

Rochester is mid pack in the TRC by enrollment.  If they would have accepted the invitation to the new conference, they instantly move to the second smallest in enrollment.  I am guessing that LaVille will continue to grow and make Rochester the smallest.  The other teams mentioned like Fairfield and Wawasee are larger.  Many Zebra faithfuls remember the NLC days.  When you were loaded, you still weren't loaded.  The TRC has been a nice conference fit and still is.

Maybe Puntheball can comment on the reasoning.

Me personally I am fine staying put but I hope we can replace Valley with another competitive school all around and if North Miami leaves like some think on this forum I would like to see us grab another tough conference opponent for all sports. 

I am curious to what powers the TRC holds. Are the able to block a team from leaving. Is their a contract the teams have to sign with their respective leagues?

3 minutes ago, Gold72 said:

Maybe Puntheball can comment on the reasoning.

Me personally I am fine staying put but I hope we can replace Valley with another competitive school all around and if North Miami leaves like some think on this forum I would like to see us grab another tough conference opponent for all sports. 

I am curious to what powers the TRC holds. Are the able to block a team from leaving. Is their a contract the teams have to sign with their respective leagues?

Two year exit is by the bylaws.  They are asking to be released a year early.  They could also be voted out immediately! 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Punttheball said:

Rochester is mid pack in the TRC by enrollment.  If they would have accepted the invitation to the new conference, they instantly move to the second smallest in enrollment.  I am guessing that LaVille will continue to grow and make Rochester the smallest.  The other teams mentioned like Fairfield and Wawasee are larger.  Many Zebra faithfuls remember the NLC days.  When you were loaded, you still weren't loaded.  The TRC has been a nice conference fit and still is.

TRC is a solid fit for Rochester as far as enrollment is concerned, not going to argue that. But if you are telling me Rochester isn't moving to the new conference because of small enrollment, I'm not buying that for a second.

Bremen 503

Jimtown 582

Glenn 638

Knox 553

Laville 391 

Tippy Valley 561

Potential schools

Rochester 495

Fairfield 543

Wawasee 946

Pioneer 313

I'm sorry but if your main concern is being "the smallest school in the conference" when the biggest school is only 140 students bigger than you, that's not a valid excuse. This new conference would definitely be a step up in competition from the TRC (especially with TV leaving). Again not faulting Rochester for staying put, but don't tell me it's an enrollment thing.

• Like 1

Bremen’s enrollment is also high right now due to a large class from what I understand. It will likely fall back below 500 in the coming years. And honestly I don’t understand wawasee wanting to stay in the NLC other than tradition. They haven’t been overly relevant in any major sport in over a decade. Fairfield is “entertaining” the offer but I’d be surprised if they join. If you were going to I’d think you’d have announced with the other schools.

20 hours ago, PantherPride said:

And seeing how it’s all played out now over the past 6 or 7 years it’s basically the old NSC minus Triton, Culver and NP while adding Tippy Valley.  I get why it was done but the old NSC basically got blown up for Triton and Culver.

Culver and NJ were the two that asked MWC to join. Other schools said no in that conference 

Caston, Winamac, Pioneer along with NJ and Culver started the talks.  Knox decided to come along.  

The HNAC invited West Central, North White,Triton and LaVille...latter two said yes. 

North White dragged its feet. West Central asked and got approved. Nw then tried and got told no.

On 3/31/2023 at 4:04 PM, PantherPride said:

And seeing how it’s all played out now over the past 6 or 7 years it’s basically the old NSC minus Triton, Culver and NP while adding Tippy Valley.  I get why it was done but the old NSC basically got blown up for Triton and Culver.

The NSC did not "got blown up" for anyone. It "got blown up" due to competitive imbalance between the top 4 schools and the bottom 4 schools. It should have been a blessing to the top 4 to have Culver and Triton wanted to leave. Culver had a few top half finish years in football and Triton competed in basketball but across most other sports, these 2 schools offered little to no competition for the top 4 teams.  The NSC "got blown up" because the top 4 teams couldn't convince Knox and Laville to stay or failed to get anyone else to join with them. It was only a matter of time until the NSC fell apart. It was evident as Jimtown and NP kept growing. The HNAC has been/will be great for Triton and Culver. It served its purpose for Knox and LV, although I have no idea why Knox thinks it will compete in the new conference but it will definitely prepare them better for the state tournament. I for one like this shakeup and think it will serve all schools better in the future.

On 3/31/2023 at 4:13 PM, npcougar15 said:

TRC is a solid fit for Rochester as far as enrollment is concerned, not going to argue that. But if you are telling me Rochester isn't moving to the new conference because of small enrollment, I'm not buying that for a second.

Nah, I wasn't tell you anything.  Just stating a few observations.  There were a many factors that led to the declining the offer.  Travel, other sports, current situation, and so on.  

On 4/1/2023 at 11:44 AM, 77Jimmie said:

I'm hearing from a pretty good source that Tippy is trying to distance itself from Rochester.  Thus part of the  reasoning the Zebras declined.

Your source is wrong.  Why was Rochester the first call Valley made when they initiated the switch? Why did their AD say that Valley and Rochester must keep playing each other?  The gate is too good for either team to "distance itself".  You don't have a source. You have an uninformed bystander.

On 3/31/2023 at 4:13 PM, npcougar15 said:

Bremen 503

Jimtown 582

Glenn 638

Knox 553

Laville 391 

Tippy Valley 561

Potential schools

Rochester 495

Fairfield 543

Wawasee 946

Pioneer 313

I'm sorry but if your main concern is being "the smallest school in the conference" when the biggest school is only 140 students bigger than you, that's not a valid excuse. This new conference would definitely be a step up in competition from the TRC (especially with TV leaving). Again not faulting Rochester for staying put, but don't tell me it's an enrollment thing.

There is no way Pioneer is joining that conference, so you might as well get them off of this list. Aside from enrollment disparity, the shortest drive time for the confirmed schools is ~45 minutes Jimtown is ~1:20.

5 hours ago, FarmerFran said:

There is no way Pioneer is joining that conference, so you might as well get them off of this list. Aside from enrollment disparity, the shortest drive time for the confirmed schools is ~45 minutes Jimtown is ~1:20.

Still would like to see Pioneer join the Hoosier Conference ... although it would spoil the post-season buzz leading up to the showdown with LCC in most seasons.

1 hour ago, foxbat said:

Still would like to see Pioneer join the Hoosier Conference ... although it would spoil the post-season buzz leading up to the showdown with LCC in most seasons.

Interesting take.  I know the Panthers are pretty good in football, but as for everything else like basketball, they're pretty average.  

15 hours ago, Gipper said:

Interesting take.  I know the Panthers are pretty good in football, but as for everything else like basketball, they're pretty average.  

Calling Pioneer average in basketball is an insult to the word average... From a football standpoint, I think Pioneer in the Hoosier would be a great fit overall most years, but to Gipper's point we wouldn't be competitive in much else, but maybe track, softball and volleyball.

33 minutes ago, FarmerFran said:

Calling Pioneer average in basketball is an insult to the word average... From a football standpoint, I think Pioneer in the Hoosier would be a great fit overall most years, but to Gipper's point we wouldn't be competitive in much else, but maybe track, softball and volleyball.

Is Pioneer going to better this year in football?

1 hour ago, Punttheball said:

Is Pioneer going to better this year in football?

We've had a better offseason so far than we did last year, but we are still going to be young. I expect some more growing pains this year, but overall we should be better than last year.

On 4/3/2023 at 7:54 AM, Punttheball said:

Your source is wrong.  Why was Rochester the first call Valley made when they initiated the switch? Why did their AD say that Valley and Rochester must keep playing each other?  The gate is too good for either team to "distance itself".  You don't have a source. You have an uninformed bystander.

Wow.  Such anger.  Lighten up Francis.  🙂