Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Jimtown, Glenn, Bremen leaving NIC for 24-25 seasons.

20 hours ago, Punttheball said:

Yes, Valley has been officially voted out of the TRC.  Valley was given three options to choose from.  They would not comply with any of the three choices, so the conference elected to dismiss by an 8-0-1 vote.  This will be effective for the fall of 2023.  As I understand it, Valley will need to fill their Fall 2023 football schedule for a year.  

and the options were....?

52 minutes ago, US31 said:

and the options were....?

On March 31, 2023, the Three Rivers Conference (TRC) received a letter from Tippecanoe Valley about leaving the TRC to start a new conference starting the 2024-25 school year.
In response to this letter, the TRC gave Tippecanoe Valley three options per the TRC By-Laws (page 5 & 6 - Article III - Membership - Section 4). The options were:
Finish two years, which would be ‘23-’24 and the ‘24-’25 school years, as a part of the TRC.
If Tippecanoe Valley leaves for the school year of ‘24-’25, they would pay each remaining TRC School $1000 by May 5, 2023.
If Tippecanoe Valley does NOT want to use Options one (1) or two (2), they will be voted out effective at the end of the ‘22-’23 School year.
Tippecanoe Valley responded on Friday April 21, 2023 that they were standing firm with their decision.
From this letter, the TRC met to discuss the future of the TRC. During this meeting, the TRC voted to remove Tippecanoe Valley from the TRC (Vote 8-0-1) effective at the end of the 2022-23 school year. A letter was sent to Tippecanoe Valley explaining the timeline and Tippecanoe Valley’s removal from the TRC.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, FarmerFran said:

I noticed TV currently plays Rochester week 5. Do you think that game will stand given the rivalry? If not, could be a great opportunity in the future for Pioneer and Rochester to play. Pioneer has Hammond Central scheduled right now and would like to get out of that matchup from a travel standpoint.

That game is going to take place.  It will likely be moved to week 2.  This would look like Rochester would have week 5 open.  I believe it is already in the works to play another team already.

22 hours ago, Punttheball said:

As I understand it, Valley will need to fill their Fall 2023 football schedule for a year.  

1 hour ago, Punttheball said:

That game is going to take place.  It will likely be moved to week 2.  This would look like Rochester would have week 5 open.  I believe it is already in the works to play another team already.

Are we sure about this? I can't imagine all 8 TRC ADs for the teams that were already on Valley's schedule would want to scramble to fill the void in their schedule this year. Seems silly to me that this would be the action they take. Kick them out of the conference early, but keep the games scheduled as non-conference. Especially since the TRC already plays an 8-game, round robin type schedule for football. Imagine any of the teams between weeks 3-9 trying to find another opponent that's nearby who could play when most area conferences are full-in conference play during those times.

23 minutes ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

Are we sure about this? I can't imagine all 8 TRC ADs for the teams that were already on Valley's schedule would want to scramble to fill the void in their schedule this year. Seems silly to me that this would be the action they take. Kick them out of the conference early, but keep the games scheduled as non-conference. Especially since the TRC already plays an 8-game, round robin type schedule for football. Imagine any of the teams between weeks 3-9 trying to find another opponent that's nearby who could play when most area conferences are full-in conference play during those times.

Nope, I don't know anything.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

The TRC would not have to scramble. Since it was a ten team league with one non-conference game everybody did not play one school this. Right now with 9, still have one non-conference game and move around others so everybody plays each other in the remaining 8 weeks. 

On 4/21/2023 at 4:55 PM, HoopsCoach said:

In my post on the topic of Harrison and McCutcheon being booted from the NCC, I proposed a plan to expand that conference and include a blend of the current members with some slightly smaller schools within the NCC footprint.  I’m applying that same thought to the NIC and NLC, which would be to combine them and split into 2 regions (East and West), each with two divisions (Large and Small).   Something like this, with enrollments from the fall 2022 count day included.

East Region, Large Division (EL):

Elkhart 3302

Goshen 1981

Concord 1775

Northridge 1389

East Region, Small Division (ES):

Plymouth 1076

Northwood 917

Wawasee 906

Mishawaka Marian 698

West Region, Large Division (WL):

Penn 3401

Warsaw 2096

South Bend Adams 1976

Mishawaka 1463

West Region, Small Division (WS):

South Bend Riley 992

South Bend Washington 834

South Bend Saint Joseph 819

New Prairie 978

In football, each school plays the 3 in their division, 2 from the other division of schools their size, and 1 from each of the 2 divisions of schools a different size.  That gives each school 7 conference games.  It also allows them to preserve some long-time rivalries and still play 2 non-conference games against opponents of their choice.  In basketball, each team plays everyone in their region (east/west) and the 4 schools from the opposite side of the conference who play in the same size-based division.  So using Penn as an example, this could be their football schedule, not necessarily in this order.

Valparaiso

Cathedral

Mishawaka (WL 1)

Warsaw (WL 2)

South Bend Adams (WL 3)

Elkhart (EL 1)

Northridge (EL 2)

Northwood (ES)

New Prairie (WS)

Elkhart could then have a schedule like this:

Hammond Morton

Lake Central

Concord (EL 1)

Goshen (EL 2)

Northridge (EL 3)

Penn (WL 1)

Warsaw (WL 2)

Mishawaka Marian (ES)

South Bend St. Joseph (WS)

This is just as unlikely to happen as my suggestion for the NCC.

Penn right now has the schedule the way they want it, no more than 5 conference games, so they can have more out of conference competition.  I like the idea, but I would love to see a team like Northwood from last year go up against Penn.  Penn now is not the team of the 90s or early 00s, Penn can get beat by these smaller schools now.  It is a far fall from what the program used to be.

On 4/21/2023 at 10:59 AM, US31 said:

Kicking Goshen out too?

I just didn't list them all.  

If Wawase left, Plymouth should go as well since their program is in such a free fall.

1 hour ago, Justafan said:

The TRC would not have to scramble. Since it was a ten team league with one non-conference game everybody did not play one school this. Right now with 9, still have one non-conference game and move around others so everybody plays each other in the remaining 8 weeks. 

Hmmm... I'm just not sure it's that easy. But maybe it is and I'm just not that smart. If EVERYONE in the TRC had their out-of-conference game scheduled in the same week, it would be easier. But I think that's where it gets tricky.

3 teams play out-of-conference games in Week 1
6 teams play out-of-conference games in Week 2

Example

Whitko currently plays Tippy Valley during Week 6, and they don't play Southwood. Southwood already has a conference game against Manchester that week. But also, Whitko's OOC game is Week 1, and Southwood's OOC game is Week 2.

I'm sure there are smarter people (or a computer program) that can figure it out. But I do not think it's quite as "easy" as it seems.

4 minutes ago, Yogibear said:

Just saw a tweet from The Kokomo Tribune that Lewis Cass will join the TRC this fall. I’m guessing they’ll play the games that Tippy Valley was slotted to play?

Hmmm. Interesting how things work out.

12 minutes ago, Julio said:

It is easy, I had to show our Head Coach and AD how it would be done.  The problem is the fact that we play Rochester week 2, so I do not know how they plan on playing Tippy that week?

I think you might know how.

On 4/24/2023 at 2:40 PM, Punttheball said:

Yes, Valley has been officially voted out of the TRC.  Valley was given three options to choose from.  They would not comply with any of the three choices, so the conference elected to dismiss by an 8-0-1 vote.  This will be effective for the fall of 2023.  As I understand it, Valley will need to fill their Fall 2023 football schedule for a year.  

Curious, the one who abstained from voting was it North Miami? Been some talk of them moving a to smaller conference. Do you think that will happen? Also curious if Lewis Cass will be Rochesters new rival in conference. We have a history of some hard fought games.

On 4/25/2023 at 10:11 PM, MarshallCounty said:

Valley can just take the Cass games this year. 

That covers four games in Hoosier East of Tipton, Northwestern, Heights, and Western plus one that listed for Hoosier West for West Lafayette.  Typically there are two crossover games in the regular season, but I don't see the second West opponent listed on Harrell's.

It's not optimal at the end of the season, but Center Grove's looking for a Week 7 opponent and West Lafayette was scheduled to play Cass in Week 7.  Only other options for WL, currently, would be Pike and East Chicago Central.  Prett much a 6-one-way, half-dozen-the-other kind of kind of decision.