Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Other Sports Without a Home Here

Basementbias

Try as you might.

I specifically avoided wrestling due to the existence of a free forum for that purpose already existing. CC, track, swim, tennis, and golf just didn't seem like they would garner any interest. ...and well soccer... this is a football forum after all. 😉

11 hours ago, DK_Barons said:

Try as you might.

I specifically avoided wrestling due to the existence of a free forum for that purpose already existing. CC, track, swim, tennis, and golf just didn't seem like they would garner any interest. ...and well soccer... this is a football forum after all. 😉

True. I do use Indianamat, but it is nice to talk with others who may not be on there. I guess the hope is for posters to post more about these other sports and athletes. I know some of the press around the states cover certain sports for certain schools. Leaves a lot of student athletes unnoticed.

1 hour ago, Basementbias said:

True. I do use Indianamat, but it is nice to talk with others who may not be on there. I guess the hope is for posters to post more about these other sports and athletes. I know some of the press around the states cover certain sports for certain schools. Leaves a lot of student athletes unnoticed.

I am new to spectating wrestling, my son is an 8th grader and I have never followed wrestling. It's a learning experience. He was over the allowable maximum weight when he started practicing, got under 285 before Christmas break, then gained about 8 lbs and had to sweat and worry to get under 285 before his first match. He made it by .2 lb. Then, at the meet, he won by forfeit because the other school didn't have anyone big enough to wrestle him(and it was a Carmel Middle School.) Saturday at the Lebanon invite he has already been told he won't have an opponent, and tonight at Noblesville East he doesn't think he will have one either. He's getting frustrated, but I told him "Hey, you're undefeated!"

1 hour ago, Impartial_Observer said:

According to the local paper, women's wrestling is starting to be something. Seymour currently has 6 women wrestling. It is my understanding that they only wrestle females. I have been told that other women are competing against their male counterparts.

Hamilton Heights has 5 I think. They hosted the State Championships last weekend, but I think Saturday's matches got postponed due to the snow.

2 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

According to the local paper, women's wrestling is starting to be something. Seymour currently has 6 women wrestling. It is my understanding that they only wrestle females. I have been told that other women are competing against their male counterparts.

We have 3 at NH. The girls' State Championship was last weekend at Hamilton Heights. We had 1 State Champion, 1 Runner Up and the 3rd finished 6th.

• Thanks 1

I'm curious to see anyone here who has athletes playing lacrosse or hockey. Heck I see rugby is in some of the bigger schools as well.

1 hour ago, gonzoron said:

I am new to spectating wrestling, my son is an 8th grader and I have never followed wrestling. It's a learning experience. He was over the allowable maximum weight when he started practicing, got under 285 before Christmas break, then gained about 8 lbs and had to sweat and worry to get under 285 before his first match. He made it by .2 lb. Then, at the meet, he won by forfeit because the other school didn't have anyone big enough to wrestle him(and it was a Carmel Middle School.) Saturday at the Lebanon invite he has already been told he won't have an opponent, and tonight at Noblesville East he doesn't think he will have one either. He's getting frustrated, but I told him "Hey, you're undefeated!"

Hamilton Heights has 5 I think. They hosted the State Championships last weekend, but I think Saturday's matches got postponed due to the snow.

I know someone on Indianamat would have the info about middle school weight classes. He will have a match at some point. I remember watching a tournament a few years back with some heavyweight wrestlers. I would bet there are a couple in my northeast region of the state if he faces any of those schools. He's providing the team 6 points a dual when he makes weight, and that helps tremendously. Wrestling will help with other sports he competes in. 

5 minutes ago, Basementbias said:

I'm curious to see anyone here who has athletes playing lacrosse or hockey. Heck I see rugby is in some of the bigger schools as well.

LAX is a bigger deal in the cities it seems. Lysander is an LAX guy, I'm not sure if he's wondered back in since the new opening. Marian University started a women's team in the 16-17 school year. 

4 hours ago, Basementbias said:

I know someone on Indianamat would have the info about middle school weight classes. He will have a match at some point. I remember watching a tournament a few years back with some heavyweight wrestlers. I would bet there are a couple in my northeast region of the state if he faces any of those schools. He's providing the team 6 points a dual when he makes weight, and that helps tremendously. Wrestling will help with other sports he competes in. 

I think it's already helping him. Mainly with food intake. Before he was what I call an "unbridled eater". He ate A LOT. Now he's watching what he eats and keeps it under control. He's 6'5, so he carries the weight really well, but he's attempting to get leaner and stronger. And it's coming from his own willpower which is much better than someone telling him he has to.

• 2 months later...
On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 5:48 PM, Impartial_Observer said:

I happen to also be personal friends with The Godfather of Roncalli LAX. 

Somebody passed away this year associated closely with Roncalli LAX (just catching up on a lot of these threads....I have lot of people I owe a duty to retrospectively piss off).  Hope he wasn't "The Godfather".  I know their head coach literally had an on-field heart attack last year...and was coaching a few days later. 

That said, Roncalli LAX games (whom I LOVE personally as our Brother South Archdiocese counterpart....seriously do....) have been the most difficult games I have participated in as a scorer these last 11 years.  Largely difficult because my fellow scorers from Roncalli scream, shout and are confrontational to all....including officials.   Really bums me out as the laid back Hippy Dude you have long known me to be (IO, you know how much of a Dylan fan I am....never heard of Waylon).  Really bums me out as regards Roncalli....did I tell you how much I usually love Roncalli?

Just hoping those Roncalli scorer's kids have graduated since most others who score lacrosse games on the other team generally are current lacrosse parents.  I actually had to tell the Roncalli scorer last year essentially to STFU.   But, outside of Roncalli, most all of them keep their trap clamped.  Yeah, I am generally not a big fan of scorers from HSE or Cathedral either.....but it might have something to do with the 10 foot stick up their rear ends as they look down on the rest of us proles.  Carmel folks are generally act like sharecropper's kids in comparison to the HSE and Cathedral folks.

I can deal with condescension.

Still, kind of have to bite my tongue though, since apparently AS HSE or Cathedral parents, no doubt, ALL of their kids will also be HS All-Americans or will start in 3 NCAA Sweet 16s (or most likely...graduate and simply go to IU praying to get into the Kelly School...used to be the business school back in the day like most any idiot like me could even attend....but....today...THE KELLY SCHOOL....wow...) - IO, think you MIGHT have been there as regards this sort of experience.

I, personally, haven't had a kid play HS lacrosse these last 5 years....still scoring games though.  Being the total bourbon-infused pro you know me to be.  

Okay...…………done venting.  Maybe I need to stop scoring these games.

Edited by Lysander
  • Like 1