Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Harrison & McCutcheon out??

15 minutes ago, Indiana Fan said:

Definitely some options for games in the coming years with schools now being out of conferences.

I can’t see the mid state wanting to bring in Harrison or Mccutcheon.

It would take them to 10, so that could present some scheduling issues.  Harrison is already playing Plainfield in a home-and-home arrangement and actually faced off last season in the sectional too.  DC is also in that same sectional and faced off against McCutcheon.

Wonder what would be the chances of peeling off Plainfield and DC if Harrison could get West Lafayette and Lebanon.  Lebanon used to play Mooresville on a consistent basis up until last season, so they've played Mid-State caliber.  The last four meetings haven't gone well for Lebanon, but the ones before were competitive and leaned toward Lebanon's favor.

46 minutes ago, foxbat said:

I don't think an hour travel is too much of an issue, especially if it's straight shot. 

So let's say you get West Lafayette to join Harrison and McCutcheon and Lebanon joins in.  What would be:

• your ideal other teams to join to make it an 8-team conference
  • your realistic other teams to join to make it an 8-team conference

The only other "constraint" is the realization that Harrison likely moves to 6A next cycle, so that certainly has impact on who you want in the conference as Harrison will need, minimally, someone else in that 6A caliber, although not necessarily 6A classification, to sharpen the sword.

Ideal: Harrison, McCutcheon, Jeff, WL, Kokomo, Logansport, Lebanon, 8th spot is tough. There's no way any Indy suburbs would consider joining, so I would have to go with Crawfordsville, Frankfort or Twin Lakes. Though I think it would be extremely shocking if any of those 3 would join that conference. Crawfordsville would make the most sense to me out of those, it is relatively close to the 4 Lafayette schools.

Realistic: Harrison, McCutcheon, Jeff, WL, Logansport, Lebanon. I really can't see any other schools having any interest in joining this conference, I think it would be super tough to get to 8 teams. It's pretty hard to imagine Kokomo leaving the NCC, though if Jeff were to leave, it would put Kokomo in a tough place. West Lafayette is the domino to get Jeff to consider leaving, and Jeff is the only domino that could possibly make Kokomo consider an exit as well.

As far as Harrison and 6a goes, this hypothetical conference is a pretty significant step up in competition for them. Playing WL every year would be huge, and Lebanon is probably better than every NCC school outside of Jeff, Harrison and Kokomo in most major sports. Honestly having the 6 team "realistic" conference wouldn't be bad, especially for football. That gives Jeff, Harrison and WL all the very much-needed opportunity to schedule higher-quality opponents. This obviously counteracts with now having to do much more work in scheduling for other sports, but definitely doable as there are many schools across the state in a similar situation.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bullhorn99 said:

Why would Jeff vote HHS and MHS out of the conference, then turn around and follow them out the door?

Agreed. I'm just speaking with logic and what Jeff should do. Would not be surprised if Harrison and McCutcheon didn't want anything to do with Jeff after all of this. Such a shame.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bears62 said:

Agreed. I'm just speaking with logic and what Jeff should do. Would not be surprised if Harrison and McCutcheon didn't want anything to do with Jeff after all of this. Such a shame.

Yep. Logic seems to be absent in this situation. 

If I were one of those AD's I'd be hard pressed to renew any athletic contracts with Jeff.

12 minutes ago, CoachGallogly said:

Im thinking Harrison and McC are going to have to go north this time around. 

Interesting . . .

What would that look like?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, US31 said:

Is it odd that only Harr & McC were voted out but not LJ?  

Does it make more sense to look north or south for a new home?

North would be tough.  Although they would be a good fit in either the DAC or NCC, this time zone thing issue complicates things.  They're probably too big for the Hoosier and Sagamore and the Mid-State idea probably wouldn't go over too well.  Might as well throw the Mavericks and Raiders with the Hautians!

Conference Misfit: Harrison, McCutcheon, Terre Haute North, Terre Haute South.  Might as well add Frankfort and West Vigo...

1 hour ago, Gipper said:

North would be tough.  Although they would be a good fit in either the DAC or NCC, this time zone thing issue complicates things.  They're probably too big for the Hoosier and Sagamore and the Mid-State idea probably wouldn't go over too well.  Might as well throw the Mavericks and Raiders with the Hautians!

Conference Misfit: Harrison, McCutcheon, Terre Haute North, Terre Haute South.  Might as well add Frankfort and West Vigo...

Doesn't really help Harrison or McCutcheon.  Harrison used to have THS on its non-con schedule for a couple seasons and closest game was 20 points.  Frankfort and West Vigo would make playing your own JV the better option from a travel, cost, and competition standpoint.

Definitely too big for the Hoosier at this point in time, although a fairly long time ago they were part of the Hoosier.  They play LCC for scrimmage ... probably more so for travel and they've recently added West Lafayette as non-con already.  West Lafayette has also played McCutcheon non-con in the past as well as Jeff, so they are intriguingly interesting if there's a new conference to be had and it was going to involve grabbing someone local.  The Sagamore doesn't really help at all although Tri-West is a remaining member that would be some competition ... but no one to heavily push them toward being better come tourney time.

Jeff recently scheduled Cathedral.  Wonder if Harrison could get Cathedral on their bill ... Battle of the Brothers?  Harrison has played several of the p/p folks in undercard and even fill-in games at varsity level including Chatard, Brebuef, and Roncalli, so there's likely something going on there.  Just hosted Guerin for baseball and already has played Cathedral and Brebeuf in the past.

1 hour ago, foxbat said:

Doesn't really help Harrison or McCutcheon.  Harrison used to have THS on its non-con schedule for a couple seasons and closest game was 20 points.  Frankfort and West Vigo would make playing your own JV the better option from a travel, cost, and competition standpoint.

Definitely too big for the Hoosier at this point in time, although a fairly long time ago they were part of the Hoosier.  They play LCC for scrimmage ... probably more so for travel and they've recently added West Lafayette as non-con already.  West Lafayette has also played McCutcheon non-con in the past as well as Jeff, so they are intriguingly interesting if there's a new conference to be had and it was going to involve grabbing someone local.  The Sagamore doesn't really help at all although Tri-West is a remaining member that would be some competition ... but no one to heavily push them toward being better come tourney time.

Jeff recently scheduled Cathedral.  Wonder if Harrison could get Cathedral on their bill ... Battle of the Brothers?  Harrison has played several of the p/p folks in undercard and even fill-in games at varsity level including Chatard, Brebuef, and Roncalli, so there's likely something going on there.  Just hosted Guerin for baseball and already has played Cathedral and Brebeuf in the past.

I was being somewhat facetious as I know there are no roads between Lafayette and Terre Haute.  Then again, the Beef House can be reached if the route takes one from SR 26 to SR 63.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gipper said:

I was being somewhat facetious as I know there are no roads between Lafayette and Terre Haute.  Then again, the Beef House can be reached if the route takes one from SR 26 to SR 63.

Sure there are, but you just have to wish real hard and believe in your heart.  It's kind of like those Magic Eye pictures ... only some folks can see those roads.  Although with the plethora of CBD gummies out there, more and more folks are able to "see the road."

Jeff fits competitively in the NCC in most sports.  They will ignore the travel time and abandon their Tippecanoe County neighbors because they see the opportunity to be the top dog in the NCC for football.  They will compete just fine in basketball and most other sports.  

Harrison was the only true target of this move.  Jeff was on board with it because they don’t like that Harrison has leap frogged them in every sport including boys basketball and football.  McCutcheon hasn’t and would honestly be a good fit to stay in the NCC.  I think the NCC schools even asked McCutcheon to stay but they were loyal to their district sibling.

The problem for Harrison and McCutcheon is that they want to be a package deal, but there aren’t many schools that would want both of them in their conference.  Harrison’s enrollment has grown at a faster rate than McCutcheon’s and their athletic programs are stronger across the board.  McCutcheon might struggle in some conferences that would take Harrison, but Harrison may not get much competition in conferences that are a better fit for McCutcheon.

In my opinion, this could have been avoided by taking a more progressive approach.  Expand the conference to include a blend of the current members and some slightly smaller schools within the NCC footprint.  Conference championships really don’t mean anything, they are just used to keep some people quiet when a team underachieves in the state tournament.  “Well, we did win conference….”  Anyway, my thought would be to add several schools to get to 16 members.  Split into 2 regions (East and West), each with two divisions (Large and Small).   Like this, with enrollments from the fall 2022 count day included.

East Region, Large Division:

Anderson 1790

Marion 1041

Muncie Central 1326

Richmond 1317

East Region, Small Division:

Delta 786

Mississinewa 791

New Castle 836

Yorktown 791

West Region, Large Division:

Harrison 2136

Kokomo 1497

Lafayette Jeff 2113

McCutcheon 1825

West Region, Small Division:

Lebanon 1027

Logansport 1241

Western 819

West Lafayette 730

In football, each school plays the 3 in their division, 2 from the other division in their region, and 1 from each of the 2 divisions on the opposite side of the conference.  That gives each school 7 conference games.  It also allows them to preserve some long-time rivalries and still play 2 non-conference games against opponents of their choice.  In basketball, each team plays everyone in their region (east/west) and the 4 schools from the opposite side of the conference who play in the same size-based division.  So using Harrison as an example, they would play their division (Jeff, McCutcheon, Kokomo), region (Lebanon, Logan, Western, West Lafayette), and the East Large schools (Anderson, Marion, Muncie Central, Richmond).  New Castle would play their division (Delta, Mississinewa, Yorktown), region (Anderson, Marion, Muncie Central, Richmond), and the West Small schools (Lebanon, Logan, Western, West Lafayette).  I think this would serve a lot of the interests of all schools in the expanded NCC.  The toothpaste is already out of the tube though, and many of these schools would not go for this anyway.

So where do they go?  I don’t have a clue.  Conference Indiana might make sense if it wasn’t so far to travel for the current members.  Adding Harrison and McCutcheon would bring the conference to 8 members, which is ideal.  It also has a mix of schools that would fit the competitive level of McCutcheon (Southport, THN, THS) and schools that would compete better with Harrison (BL North, BL South, and CN).  Those schools probably won’t even consider adding Harrison and McCutcheon due to travel, and the current members seem to be looking for other places to go already.  Another possibility is to partner with the Indy parochial schools in the Circle City Conference.  If they look north, they would fit nicely in the Duneland. Travel would be a concern with the added factor of time zone changes, and the Duneland schools probably have no desire to expand.  The Mid-State would be ok also, but like the Duneland, I don’t think they want more than 8 members.

Edited by HoopsCoach
  • Like 3

On 4/14/2023 at 6:04 PM, HoopsCoach said:

Jeff fits competitively in the NCC in most sports.  They will ignore the travel time and abandon their Tippecanoe County neighbors because they see the opportunity to be the top dog in the NCC for football.  They will compete just fine in basketball and most other sports.  

Harrison was the only true target of this move.  Jeff was on board with it because they don’t like that Harrison has leap frogged them in every sport including boys basketball and football.  McCutcheon hasn’t and would honestly be a good fit to stay in the NCC.  I think the NCC schools even asked McCutcheon to stay but they were loyal to their district sibling.

The problem for Harrison and McCutcheon is that they want to be a package deal, but there aren’t many schools that would want both of them in their conference.  Harrison’s enrollment has grown at a faster rate than McCutcheon’s and their athletic programs are stronger across the board.  McCutcheon might struggle in some conferences that would take Harrison, but Harrison may not get much competition in conferences that are a better fit for McCutcheon.

In my opinion, this could have been avoided by taking a more progressive approach.  Expand the conference to include a blend of the current members and some slightly smaller schools within the NCC footprint.  Conference championships really don’t mean anything, they are just used to keep some people quiet when a team underachieves in the state tournament.  “Well, we did win conference….”  Anyway, my thought would be to add several schools to get to 16 members.  Split into 2 regions (East and West), each with two divisions (Large and Small).   Like this, with enrollments from the fall 2022 count day included.

Anderson 1790

Marion 1041

Muncie Central 1326

Richmond 1317

Delta 786

Mississinewa 791

New Castle 836

Yorktown 791

Harrison 2136

Kokomo 1497

Lafayette Jeff 2113

McCutcheon 1825

Lebanon 1027

Logansport 1241

Western 819

West Lafayette 730

In football, each school plays the 3 in their division, 2 from the other division in their region, and 1 from each of the 2 divisions on the opposite side of the conference.  That gives each school 7 conference games.  It also allows them to preserve some long-time rivalries and still play 2 non-conference games against opponents of their choice.  In basketball, each team plays everyone in their region (east/west) and the 4 schools from the opposite side of the conference who play in the same size-based division.  So using Harrison as an example, they would play their division (Jeff, McCutcheon, Kokomo), region (Lebanon, Logan, Western, West Lafayette), and the East Large schools (Anderson, Marion, Muncie Central, Richmond).  New Castle would play their division (Delta, Mississinewa, Yorktown), region (Anderson, Marion, Muncie Central, Richmond), and the West Small schools (Lebanon, Logan, Western, West Lafayette).  I think this would serve a lot of the interests of all schools in the expanded NCC.  The toothpaste is already out of the tube though, and many of these schools would not go for this anyway.

So where do they go?  I don’t have a clue.  Conference Indiana might make sense if it wasn’t so far to travel for the current members.  Adding Harrison and McCutcheon would bring the conference to 8 members, which is ideal.  It also has a mix of schools that would fit the competitive level of McCutcheon (Southport, THN, THS) and schools that would compete better with Harrison (BL North, BL South, and CN).  Those schools probably won’t even consider adding Harrison and McCutcheon due to travel, and the current members seem to be looking for other places to go already.  Another possibility is to partner with the Indy parochial schools in the Circle City Conference.  If they look north, they would fit nicely in the Duneland. Travel would be a concern with the added factor of time zone changes, and the Duneland schools probably have no desire to expand.  The Mid-State would be ok also, but like the Duneland, I don’t think they want more than 8 members.

This is a very solid plan. I think those HHC teams would do well in a situation such as that, and that actually shortens some of their travel times, as it does for the bigger schools. I think it also helps prepare all of them for the tournament, especially in football and basketball. Most of the schools in the purposed eastern division already play each other frequently anyhow. 

Anderson 1790

Marion 1041

Muncie Central 1326

Richmond 1317

Delta 786

Mississinewa 791

New Castle 836

Yorktown 791

Harrison 2136

Kokomo 1497

Lafayette Jeff 2113

McCutcheon 1825

Lebanon 1027

Logansport 1241

Western 819

West Lafayette 730

No room for Frankfort in this new NCC? IIRC they were a charter member of the NCC, and have a higher enrollment than any other school in your Small Divisions other than Lebanon and Logansport.

On 4/14/2023 at 9:59 AM, foxbat said:

Not sure how Lebanon would do playing Harrison.  Harrison just blanked them yesterday in JV baseball like 19-0.

Lebanon is the next Zionsville/Westfield/Whiteland/etc

Lots of development in that area in terms of business....and also right off 65.  WeBo and Lebanon should be looking 10 years into the future instead of 10 years into the past.  

On 4/14/2023 at 12:47 PM, Gipper said:

Penn, Elkhart....maybe Warsaw.  

Strange things may happen in the Region with Penn, Elkhart, Harr, & McCutch all being part of recent conference shake ups.

29 minutes ago, US31 said:

Lots of development in that area in terms of business....and also right off 65.  WeBo and Lebanon should be looking 10 years into the future instead of 10 years into the past.  

Agreed.  Using a Parks & Recreation analogy Frankfort is Pawnee, Lebanon is Eagleton.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Muda69 said:

No room for Frankfort in this new NCC? IIRC they were a charter member of the NCC, and have a higher enrollment than any other school in your Small Divisions other than Lebanon and Logansport.

So you want them in the Hoosier Heartland or NCC?

18 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

The Hoosier Heartland.  But the NCC doesn't have to know that. Nor would they care.

I'm guessing you guys mean the Hoosier Heritage? The Hoosier Heartland is the very small school conference in Carroll, Clinton, Hamilton, Howard, and Tipton counties. Not sure that any of those 4A schools would want to join them.

7 minutes ago, SquidBlitz said:

I'm guessing you guys mean the Hoosier Heritage? The Hoosier Heartland is the very small school conference in Carroll, Clinton, Hamilton, Howard, and Tipton counties. Not sure that any of those 4A schools would want to join them.

No, I mean the Hoosier Heartland.  It has been my contention that a school with the socioeconomic issues that Frankfort has can only reasonably field most of it's athletic programs at a level far below it's actual enrollment.  For Frankfort that means a mid-size to large 2A school, which should fit in with the Hoosier Heartland.

Edited by Muda69

5 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Sure, this is all just a fantasy anyway, so let the Puppies come on over to the Conference of Voting Out Champions.

If this ever had a chance of happening, Frankfort could be a candidate for the West Small division.  Inevitably, at least one of the schools I suggested for membership would not join.  Western and Mississinewa both like playing in conferences of much smaller schools and probably wouldn’t leave their current status as a big fish in a small pond.  Frankfort could be an alternate choice in the West Small division, and Hamilton Heights for the East Small division instead of the River Rats.

Anderson 1790

Marion 1041

Muncie Central 1326

Richmond 1317

Delta 786

Mississinewa 791

New Castle 836

Yorktown 791

Harrison 2136

Kokomo 1497

Lafayette Jeff 2113

McCutcheon 1825

Lebanon 1027

Logansport 1241

Western 819

West Lafayette 730

I'm not so sure, outside of the general scheduling headache, that Harrison wouldn't have eventually been driven to look for some alternative to the NCC ... at least for football.  Even with Large Division setups, Harrison's not getting ready for 6A play with the East Region crowd and, potentially, even part of the West Region.  Kokomo and McCutcheon were somewhat competitive with Harrison last around 2017.  Even with a seeming recent Kokomo ascendancy, there's been a similar Harrison ascendancy.  The addition of West Lafayette, albeit to the small division group, would be beneficial to Harrison, but they'd only get them roughly half of the seasons.  There's nothing in East Large to help and I'm not sure there's much on that East Small that helps out either. 

While I think the mix that you suggest is better for the NCC in general, I'm not sure that, realistically, Harrison wasn't going to need to search for an alternative conference lineup to avoid being perpetually relegated to 10-game seasons.

1 hour ago, foxbat said:

I'm not so sure, outside of the general scheduling headache, that Harrison wouldn't have eventually been driven to look for some alternative to the NCC ... at least for football.  Even with Large Division setups, Harrison's not getting ready for 6A play with the East Region crowd and, potentially, even part of the West Region.  Kokomo and McCutcheon were somewhat competitive with Harrison last around 2017.  Even with a seeming recent Kokomo ascendancy, there's been a similar Harrison ascendancy.  The addition of West Lafayette, albeit to the small division group, would be beneficial to Harrison, but they'd only get them roughly half of the seasons.  There's nothing in East Large to help and I'm not sure there's much on that East Small that helps out either. 

While I think the mix that you suggest is better for the NCC in general, I'm not sure that, realistically, Harrison wasn't going to need to search for an alternative conference lineup to avoid being perpetually relegated to 10-game seasons.

You’re right, with Harrison’s growth, my suggested conference additions would probably be a short-term fix that prolongs the conference for another 5-10 years.  I don’t think rotating those cross-division and cross-region games would be a requirement.  Harrison’s schedule could have been something like this:

Roncalli

Crown Point

West Lafayette

Lebanon

Lafayette Jeff

Mississinewa

McCutcheon

Kokomo

Marion

I think this would have been better than the schedule they’ve had in the current NCC.  Other schools could have benefitted from the expanded conference as well, like West Lafayette.  A schedule for West Side could have looked like this:

Central Catholic

Rensselaer Central

Harrison

Lafayette Jeff

Western

Marion

Lebanon

Logansport

Yorktown

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SquidBlitz said:

Obviously you haven’t seen his posts on Frankforts, I swear to God you haven’t 

• Haha 3

19 hours ago, US31 said:

Webo isn't growing.  Though I have heard there is 1 small housing development going in Thorntown (though I don't know if it is approved yet), while Lebanon is growing rather quickly.  The Lilly facility they just broke ground on is land that Lebanon annexed into the town.  Maybe at some point the sprawl heads out toward Webo, I think we are a long way away from that.  I suspect that Webo will be a 2A team in Football (as well as every other sport) in the next enrolment cycle and will probably sit in the 2A class for a while (success factor not withstanding).  There just isn't an abundance of housing in the Webo district.