Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Harrison & McCutcheon out??

1 hour ago, 1st_and_10 said:

Webo isn't growing.  Though I have heard there is 1 small housing development going in Thorntown (though I don't know if it is approved yet), while Lebanon is growing rather quickly.  The Lilly facility they just broke ground on is land that Lebanon annexed into the town.  Maybe at some point the sprawl heads out toward Webo, I think we are a long way away from that.  I suspect that Webo will be a 2A team in Football (as well as every other sport) in the next enrolment cycle and will probably sit in the 2A class for a while (success factor not withstanding).  There just isn't an abundance of housing in the Webo district.

Always remember that school districts and town/city boundaries aren't always the same.  A lot of Noblesville's growth is in the city limits and the HSE school district.  School boundaries are usually set by township boundaries.  Not saying this is the case here, but it's worth keeping in mind.

Regarding Frankfort, the Dogs would fit better in the Hoosier Heartland than the Hoosier.  They'd be the doormat of the Hoosier in almost every sport.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, HoopsCoach said:

Sure, this is all just a fantasy anyway, so let the Puppies come on over to the Conference of Voting Out Champions.

How many IHSAA basketball titles have McCutcheon and Harrison won?  Basketball is and always will be the dominate sport for NCC A.D.'s.

12 minutes ago, Ballhawk said:

Regarding Frankfort, the Dogs would fit better in the Hoosier Heartland than the Hoosier.  They'd be the doormat of the Hoosier in almost every sport.

Agreed.  They could maybe compete in baseball and boy's soccer but not much else.

2 hours ago, 1st_and_10 said:

There just isn't an abundance of housing in the Webo district.

Is this mostly due to lack of demand,  tightfisted farmers not wanting to sell their land, or draconian zoning laws?

18 minutes ago, Ballhawk said:

Always remember that school districts and town/city boundaries aren't always the same.  A lot of Noblesville's growth is in the city limits and the HSE school district.  School boundaries are usually set by township boundaries.  Not saying this is the case here, but it's worth keeping in mind.

Very True.  

4 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Agreed.  They could maybe compete in baseball and boy's soccer but not much else.

Is this mostly due to lack of demand,  tightfisted farmers not wanting to sell their land, or draconian zoning laws?

I would say lack of inventory and the cost of buying land (I honestly don't know about the zoning laws).  The Eli Lilly project and the State have driven up the price of farmland... The price they were buying the land for the Lilly project was life changing (for those with large acrerage)... Still a lot of farmers in Western Boone Co that also want to keep that land and continue to farm it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ballhawk said:

Agreed! A lot of people don't realize that any development east of Summer Road and South of 216th Street goes to HSE and not Noblesville. HSE's district goes all the way out to the edge of Lapel and up to the border with Hamilton Heights (216th Street).

I know that Whitestown is booming and a decent portion of it goes to Lebanon while the other portion goes to Zionsville. Is Lebanon the town growing as well? I agree that they should be looking to the future and reaching out to Harrison/McCutcheon to explore opportunities. 

10 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Agreed! A lot of people don't realize that any development east of Summer Road and South of 216th Street goes to HSE and not Noblesville. HSE's district goes all the way out to the edge of Lapel and up to the border with Hamilton Heights (216th Street).

I know that Whitestown is booming and a decent portion of it goes to Lebanon while the other portion goes to Zionsville. Is Lebanon the town growing as well? I agree that they should be looking to the future and reaching out to Harrison/McCutcheon to explore opportunities. 

Yes both commercially and residentially.

On 4/17/2023 at 10:32 AM, US31 said:

Penn, Elkhart....maybe Warsaw.  

Strange things may happen in the Region with Penn, Elkhart, Harr, & McCutch all being part of recent conference shake ups.

You never know.  I'd like to see half of the DAC in this new conference, but don't think it would be good for all.

3 hours ago, 1st_and_10 said:

Yes both commercially and residentially.

A quick google search shows that WeBo's enrollment dropped significantly following the 2015-16, 16-17 cycle to the next 2 year window (17-18, 18-19) from 557 to 529 ....any particular reason for such a big drop? 

And it looks like it has been on the decline ever since? People leaving to Lebanon? New School open up? 

49 minutes ago, jets said:

A quick google search shows that WeBo's enrollment dropped significantly following the 2015-16, 16-17 cycle to the next 2 year window (17-18, 18-19) from 557 to 529 ....any particular reason for such a big drop? 

And it looks like it has been on the decline ever since? People leaving to Lebanon? New School open up? 

Could be some of both?....Trader's Point Christian is right there off 65.  I don't know how long theyve been open, but they've only had football a handful of years.

7 hours ago, Muda69 said:

How many IHSAA basketball titles have McCutcheon and Harrison won?  Basketball is and always will be the dominate sport for NCC A.D.'s.

Then the move to vote out Harrison and McCutcheon makes no sense as Harrison has never won an NCC basketball title, much less an IHSAA title and McCutcheon has won NCC twice.  Men's basketball had nothing to do with the ouster ... especially if the premise is that Harrison was the intended victim and McCutcheon was a drive-by casualty.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, foxbat said:

Then the move to vote out Harrison and McCutcheon makes no sense as Harrison has never won an NCC basketball title, much less an IHSAA title and McCutcheon has won NCC twice.  Men's basketball had nothing to do with the ouster ... especially if the premise is that Harrison was the intended victim and McCutcheon was a drive-by casualty.  

This has been a head-scratcher to me as it seemed to bring in a little more geographic balance with the Lafayette schools on the western flank, while Marion, Muncie, and Richmond comprised the east with Kokomo, Logansport, and (to a lesser extent) Tech being in the middle.  I'm not real sure how long a six-team league can survives running on the fumes of yesterday.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, jets said:

I don't think people are leaving for Lebanon... I think it is what it is... A small community school corporation.  Class sizes in the elementary schools are small.  The freshman class and senior class right now are rather large, but the current 8th grade class is small.  I don't think there is any one thing or any rhyme or reason as to why.

15 hours ago, US31 said:

Could be some of both?....Trader's Point Christian is right there off 65.  I don't know how long theyve been open, but they've only had football a handful of years.

I don't think we are losing kids to Trader's Point either.  

15 hours ago, foxbat said:

Then the move to vote out Harrison and McCutcheon makes no sense as Harrison has never won an NCC basketball title, much less an IHSAA title and McCutcheon has won NCC twice. 

Exactly.  "Conference of (State) Champions".

19 hours ago, Gipper said:

You never know.  I'd like to see half of the DAC in this new conference, but don't think it would be good for all.

Our old pal, DT, suggested something like this on Facebook through his Hoosier Prep Gridiron page:

The time is ripe for Duneland Conference expansion

The recent success of Valparaiso, Michigan City, Merrillville and Crown Point has put a hot new spotlight on Duneland Conference football 

Harrison and McCutcheon are looking for a new home following their ouster from The NCC.  The Raiders are a rising soon to be 6A program and have a solid foundation under Coach Terry Peebles. McCutcheon is rebuilding and has the potential to be a contender in 5A in the future.  Both schools fit the DAC blueprint in terms of competitive profile, size and focus on all sports 

To the East, The NIC is falling apart again as the small schools Glenn, Jimtown and Bremen are leaving to start a new conference and Clay is closing next year,  Elkhart and Penn as 6A schools also fit the DAC profile and would be solid additions, making the Duneland one of the top football leagues in the state.  

The DAC upon expansion to 12 schools would split into divisions as follows :
DAC West Division
Harrison   6A
McCutcheon   5A
Lake Central  6A
Crown Point   6A
Merrillville   5A
Portage   6A

DAC East Division
Penn   6A
Elkhart   6A
Michigan City    5A
Laporte     5A
Valpo    5A
Chesterton   5A

All schools would play an 8 game conference schedule, 5 intra divisional games and 3 crossovers, leaving 1 open date for non con play.

The DAC is very resistant to change, Its been 20 years since Hobart left and Lake Central came in.  If the Duneland is looking to build on its newly earned football status, now might be the right time to make a move, given the potential to acquire available schools who fit the conference profile and footprint.

Food for thought.

17 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Our old pal, DT, suggested something like this on Facebook through his Hoosier Prep Gridiron page:

The time is ripe for Duneland Conference expansion

The recent success of Valparaiso, Michigan City, Merrillville and Crown Point has put a hot new spotlight on Duneland Conference football 

Harrison and McCutcheon are looking for a new home following their ouster from The NCC.  The Raiders are a rising soon to be 6A program and have a solid foundation under Coach Terry Peebles. McCutcheon is rebuilding and has the potential to be a contender in 5A in the future.  Both schools fit the DAC blueprint in terms of competitive profile, size and focus on all sports 

To the East, The NIC is falling apart again as the small schools Glenn, Jimtown and Bremen are leaving to start a new conference and Clay is closing next year,  Elkhart and Penn as 6A schools also fit the DAC profile and would be solid additions, making the Duneland one of the top football leagues in the state.  

The DAC upon expansion to 12 schools would split into divisions as follows :
DAC West Division
Harrison   6A
McCutcheon   5A
Lake Central  6A
Crown Point   6A
Merrillville   5A
Portage   6A

DAC East Division
Penn   6A
Elkhart   6A
Michigan City    5A
Laporte     5A
Valpo    5A
Chesterton   5A

All schools would play an 8 game conference schedule, 5 intra divisional games and 3 crossovers, leaving 1 open date for non con play.

The DAC is very resistant to change, Its been 20 years since Hobart left and Lake Central came in.  If the Duneland is looking to build on its newly earned football status, now might be the right time to make a move, given the potential to acquire available schools who fit the conference profile and footprint.

Food for thought.

All fine and dandy until an accident on I-65 causes that 1.75 hour trip from McCutcheon to Portage to become a 3+ hour death march.

No thanks.

Or maybe the teams could meet about halfway and play their games at St. Joseph's College old football field?

Edited by Muda69

50 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

All fine and dandy until an accident on I-65 causes that 1.75 hour trip from McCutcheon to Portage to become a 3+ hour death march.

No thanks.

Or maybe the teams could meet about halfway and play their games at St. Joseph's College old football field?

Or take 421? 

5 hours ago, 1st_and_10 said:

I don't think people are leaving for Lebanon... I think it is what it is... A small community school corporation.  Class sizes in the elementary schools are small.  The freshman class and senior class right now are rather large, but the current 8th grade class is small.  I don't think there is any one thing or any rhyme or reason as to why.

I don't think we are losing kids to Trader's Point either.  

557 to 511 seems to suggest other factors than just "small community class fluctuation" ....A business shut down? Another school opening up? Programs being cut at the school?? 

In Social Studies class we call these things "push factors" ....

You don't see any "push factors" that have driven down enrollment? 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jets said:

557 to 511 seems to suggest other factors than just "small community class fluctuation" ....A business shut down? Another school opening up? Programs being cut at the school?? 

In Social Studies class we call these things "push factors" ....

You don't see any "push factors" that have driven down enrollment? 

Not that I can think of.  We don't have many kids leaving for Zionsville, Lebanon, Traders Point, etc.  Maybe there is and I am just missing it... Or maybe there were a few large classes that contributed to the 557.  Again, the class of 2023 is large... The class of 2026 is large... The class of 2028 is large.. But 2027 and 2029 are small.  

5 hours ago, 1st_and_10 said:

Not that I can think of.  We don't have many kids leaving for Zionsville, Lebanon, Traders Point, etc.  Maybe there is and I am just missing it... Or maybe there were a few large classes that contributed to the 557.  Again, the class of 2023 is large... The class of 2026 is large... The class of 2028 is large.. But 2027 and 2029 are small.  

You spread 46 over 4 classes and that is 11.5 per class.  It really isn't unusual for enrollment to fluctuate like this.  I saw years where Sheridan had over 100 students per class and other years there were under 80.  The enrollment there has been in the 420 range and has dropped to the 320-330 range.  There are two new subdivisions but the enrollment isn't growing that large.  It is very hard to predict, but I understand WeBo's situation as you would have to have development in Advance, Jamestown & Thorntown.  Not really booming suburbia.

• Like 1