Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Lewis Cass leaving Hoosier Conference next fall for TRC

I don't love the move.  Cass has longstanding rivalry with Western, Heights and Northwestern.  Also it seems we have played West Lafayette for many years even not when in Hoosier.  I don't think the TRC will nearly prepare us for post season as the Hoosier has. Curious to see if we keep Pioneer as our one out of division game.

Edited by dcjjones
  • Like 1

tough blow to not allow time before exit:  What are these teams supposed to do? 

Sep. 8   Tipton 2A © 7:00 pm    
Sep. 15 at Northwestern 3A © 7:00 pm    
Sep. 22   Western 4A © 7:00 pm    
Sep. 29   West Lafayette 3A 7:00 pm    
Oct. 6 at Hamilton Heights 3A © 7:00 pm

Just hope something comes up?  

2 hours ago, CoachSnyder said:

Lewis Cass informed the Hoosier Conference today they would be leaving the Hoosier Conference next fall replacing Tippy Valley in the TRC.  What's next???  

West Lafayette leaving to join Harrison and McCutcheon and a couple of draft picks to be named later?

1 hour ago, Fballfan15 said:

This makes zero sense. I would assume they will reach out to Lapel since they are not in a conference. 

The move makes perfect sense.  how many years did Tipton, Western, or Hamilton Heights step up to play West Lafayette as a non conference game?  I think the three game stretch of Western, WL, and HH with a possible crossover with a WL had taken its toll on the program.  In 2019, Cass beat two out of the three and then turned around to play WL in the crossover. That was followed by Pioneer in the first round of the Sectional.  The team won the conference and the sectional, but was absolutely beat up from top to bottom by the time they played Andrean in the regional.  That 5 game stretch was brutal.  

• Like 1

It's a shock to be sure. While it may not be the most ideal when it comes to tourney prep. I agree with the statement that just getting to the postseason healthy is half the battle. Should be an interesting first year for the Kings. Will change of scenery lead to more success? Time will tell, I for one look forward to seeing where this leads not only in football, but the other sports as well.   

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dcjjones said:

I don't think the TRC will nearly prepare us for post season as the Hoosier has. Curious to see if we keep Pioneer as our one out of division game.

48 minutes ago, Obi-Wan said:

It's a shock to be sure. While it may not be the most ideal when it comes to tourney prep.

With Cass being the newest member of the TRC, the rest of the TRC will hope to provide some resistance on your way to your first conference title in football. The existing teams will fight mightily as we battle to be the best of the rest.  As for the Pioneer game, it would look as if it would workout perfectly as Valley played Wawasee game one as their non conference game.

IIRC Lewis Cass had this stupid bell at one end of their football field they would ring incessantly every time they scored. Is that still there?  Also during my playing days their visitor locker room was this dank, dark, hole underneath the home bleachers.  It was like something out of a bad horror film.

48 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

IIRC Lewis Cass had this stupid bell at one end of their football field they would ring incessantly every time they scored. Is that still there?  Also during my playing days their visitor locker room was this dank, dark, hole underneath the home bleachers.  It was like something out of a bad horror film.

As a player, I got to witness them ring it twice…

Edited by MacAttack53
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Punttheball said:

With Cass being the newest member of the TRC, the rest of the TRC will hope to provide some resistance on your way to your first conference title in football. The existing teams will fight mightily as we battle to be the best of the rest.  As for the Pioneer game, it would look as if it would workout perfectly as Valley played Wawasee game one as their non conference game.

Not a shot at the TRC or the teams. The HC has had tons of success over the last decade in football and you see all styles of ball. I am sure the Kings will just want to be competitive this season. 

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

Bell is there only rang after wins. Visitor locker room is a dank, dark, middle school locker room in the school. 

Does the Hoosier go after Tri-West, Lebanon, and Danville?  2 divisions big school small school? 

Big School: Danville, Tri-West, Lebanon, WL, Western, H. Heights

Small School: CC, Northwestern, Tipton, BC, TL, and RCHS

Weeks 1- 3 non-conference, week 4 optional crossover to keep rivalries or 4th non-conference weeks 5-9 play your division games? 

WL potential Schedule: 

Jeff

Harrison

McCutcheon

CC

TW

LEB

Western

Heights

Danville

Edited by Letterkenny Irish

2 hours ago, Punttheball said:

The move makes perfect sense.  how many years did Tipton, Western, or Hamilton Heights step up to play West Lafayette as a non conference game?  I think the three game stretch of Western, WL, and HH with a possible crossover with a WL had taken its toll on the program.  In 2019, Cass beat two out of the three and then turned around to play WL in the crossover. That was followed by Pioneer in the first round of the Sectional.  The team won the conference and the sectional, but was absolutely beat up from top to bottom by the time they played Andrean in the regional.  That 5 game stretch was brutal.  

So this was purely a football decision? Also I was under the assumption that they would rotate non conference foes. Tipton will play West Lafayette this upcoming season. It will be interesting to see where the HC turns to now. Wonder if this could cause a domino effect with some of the other teams. 

14 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

tough blow to not allow time before exit:  What are these teams supposed to do? 

Sep. 8   Tipton 2A © 7:00 pm    
Sep. 15 at Northwestern 3A © 7:00 pm    
Sep. 22   Western 4A © 7:00 pm    
Sep. 29   West Lafayette 3A 7:00 pm    
Oct. 6 at Hamilton Heights 3A © 7:00 pm

Just hope something comes up?  

Call up Valley for a year.

54 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Leaving conference is fine,  Leaving Conference without following what I am sure is some sort of by law for time is another.  That is always a bad deal for the schools you leave behind.  Leave, fine, leave with month left of school, yikes

Might not have been totally Cass decision to leave immediately as Valley was booted immediately if I’m not mistaken.  Cass contingency may have been join immediately

8 minutes ago, RingLeader said:

Might not have been totally Cass decision to leave immediately as Valley was booted immediately if I’m not mistaken.  Cass contingency may have been join immediately

It was absolutely their decision to leave immediately. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Madison-Grant?  Oak Hill?  

Oak Hill had a caveat that the entire Grant 4 get an invite. Sort of a tough ask, but totally get them wanting to stick with their county cohort.

Eastern was a name I’d also heard. Not sure how far down the road that went, but certainly would be desirable if you’re one of the southern TRC schools. 

Maybe adding Eastern is enough to entice Oak Hill?? Eastern left the MIC due to wanting to be a big fish. I think their athletic programs would compete in the TRC, but maybe not at the championship caliber they’ve become accustomed to in the HHC.

Edited by MacAttack53
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Leaving conference is fine,  Leaving Conference without following what I am sure is some sort of by law for time is another.  That is always a bad deal for the schools you leave behind.  Leave, fine, leave with month left of school, yikes

Correct. And something to never forget.

17 hours ago, MacAttack53 said:

Oak Hill had a caveat that the entire Grant 4 get an invite. Sort of a tough ask, but totally get them wanting to stick with their county cohort.

Eastern was a name I’d also heard. Not sure how far down the road that went, but certainly would be desirable if you’re one of the southern TRC schools. 

Maybe adding Eastern is enough to entice Oak Hill?? Eastern left the MIC due to wanting to be a big fish. I think their athletic programs would compete in the TRC, but maybe not at the championship caliber they’ve become accustomed to in the HHC.

Ahh Eastern. I like that idea.  Eastern leaving the HHC could open the door for Frankfort joining when the Sagamore falls apart.