Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Lewis Cass leaving Hoosier Conference next fall for TRC

22 hours ago, Fballfan15 said:

It will be interesting to see where the HC turns to now. Wonder if this could cause a domino effect with some of the other teams.

HC was around before the addition of the Mid-Indiana teams. I'm sure they'll be fine. I can't see them breaking up because Lewis Cass leaves, but I suppose anything is possible. 

10 hours ago, vicvinegar said:

I think it's the beginning of the end.

Or perhaps transformation.  The way that conferences are going nowadays, it's not about attracting folks, but kicking folks out.  Perhaps one of three alternate realities on the table:

• Status quo and look for replacement - Maybe Lebanon to join?
  • Eventual folding - Sheridan left, although they were swapped out for LCC.  Delphi left.  Now Cass is leaving.  On the horizon, perhaps BC?  Although they tend to do better in basketball.  Northwestern?  West Lafayette teaming up with Harrison/McCutcheon to form a new league with maybe Lebanon?  On a stretch LCC leaving with WL to join with fellow Lafayette folks to form the LL+L conference ... League Lafayette + Lebanon?
  • Kicking members out - In light of activities in a couple of other conferences first two on the chopping block would be LCC and West Lafayette.

Edited by foxbat
duplicate post

1 hour ago, foxbat said:

Or perhaps transformation.  The way that conferences are going nowadays, it's not about attracting folks, but kicking folks out.  Perhaps one of three alternate realities on the table:

• Eventual folding - Sheridan left, although they were swapped out for LCC.  Delphi left.  Now Cass is leaving.  On the horizon, perhaps BC?  Although they tend to do better in basketball.  Northwestern?  West Lafayette teaming up with Harrison/McCutcheon to form a new league with maybe Lebanon?  On a stretch LCC leaving with WL to join with fellow Lafayette folks to form the LL+L conference ... League Lafayette + Lebanon?
  • Kicking members out - In light of activities in a couple of other conferences first two on the chopping block would be LCC and West Lafayette.

Lebanon makes some sense as a possible candidate for the Hoosier if the Montgomery County schools & WeBo leave the Sagamore.  The trek up I-65 wouldn't be too bad for them.  Would WeBo be a school the Hoosier might target?  I could see Northwestern looking elsewhere because they seem to be struggling in the Hoosier.

I know BC was a charter Hoosier member, but other than girls basketball why do they keep being the punching bag of the Hoosier?  You'd think they'd be looking elsewhere (Midwest, Hoosier North, Hoosier Heartland?).

Eastern in the Hoosier Heartland has pretty much outgrown their competition.  This would open a door in the HH for BC or Frankfort or both (Rossville does not have a football team).

Just thoughts from a casual outside observer.

Why does it appear that all of this conference movement is occurring from Indianapolis and north? There are a few conferences in the south that could use some adjustment IMO. Anyone have any theories or insight?

6 minutes ago, GoodKn19ht said:

Why does it appear that all of this conference movement is occurring from Indianapolis and north? There are a few conferences in the south that could use some adjustment IMO. Anyone have any theories or insight?

There was in the south a few years ago now. The Big 8 disbanded with Jasper and Vincennes Lincoln joining the SIAC, and the rest of the Big 8 schools joining the PAC.

But the movement we are seeing in the Indy and farther north area is something we aren’t too familiar with down here. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ballhawk said:

Eastern in the Hoosier Heartland has pretty much outgrown their competition.  This would open a door in the HH for BC or Frankfort or both (Rossville does not have a football team).

Frankfort is the better option here.  All four Clinton County government school corporations would be members of the same conference.

16 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Frankfort is the better option here.  All four Clinton County government school corporations would be members of the same conference.

I know that Frankfort is out classed in their current conference situation, but I am not sure going into a 1A dominated conference is the answer for them.  BC would fit in the HH fine.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Punttheball said:

I know that Frankfort is out classed in their current conference situation, but I am not sure going into a 1A dominated conference is the answer for them.  BC would fit in the HH fine.  

I disagree.  Frankfort would fit in the HH just fine as well.   Total student population never tells the real story.

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

I disagree.  Frankfort would fit in the HH just fine as well.   Total student population never tells the real story.

Oh you're serious! So how does it help Frankfort to join a 1A and 2A conference and then play a 4A sectional?  Their roster last year had nearly 60 guys listed.  Not many schools in the HH have that.

9 minutes ago, Punttheball said:

Oh you're serious! So how does it help Frankfort to join a 1A and 2A conference and then play a 4A sectional?  Their roster last year had nearly 60 guys listed.  Not many schools in the HH have that.

Insert socioeconomic/soccer data here. 

Didn't Eastern  powers to be when they shook up conference have a powerpoint that said something like, Winning vs smaller school would lead to better athletic participation?  Something to that affect, does this mean they have reset themselves and ready for a bigger challenge ?? 

• Like 1

I think Frankfort to the HHC would be a poor decision in my opinion. This might be nit-picky but Frankfort has three wins in two years (Clinton Central '21-'22 and Clinton Prairie '21). While I was not at the game, it appears Clinton Prairie handled their business fairly easily with a 54-30 win over Frankfort this year. With this in mind, Frankfort would be entering a conference where their only wins in the last two years have finished middle of the pack (Clinton Prairie) or last/second to last (Clinton Central) each year. I feel like it's a double negative. Making a move to a smaller conference composed of predominately 1A teams and keeping a similar level of regular season success while being "less" prepared for the post season due to them not seeing any schools similar in size as the schools waiting for them in Sectional 20 makes zero sense. 

Eastern is waiting for a spot to open in the CIC in my opinion. 

Edited by NeonDeion

On 4/27/2023 at 10:19 AM, foxbat said:

I would think NW would be looking to get out asap. 4 wins in the past 5 years, has to be a better conference out there where they can have some success. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Punttheball said:

No way!

Not sure how long they are willing to wait but I think that makes the most sense in my opinion. Higher quality of competition in the CIC and if you exclude MG then every school is the same size or bigger than them. Why do you say no way? 

12 minutes ago, NeonDeion said:

Not sure how long they are willing to wait but I think that makes the most sense in my opinion. Higher quality of competition in the CIC and if you exclude MG then every school is the same size or bigger than them. Why do you say no way? 

That is not the Eastern agenda.  They would not like playing Eastbrook, Oak Hill, and Miss every year for a conference championship. It is why they got out of the MIC.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Punttheball said:

Since 2018 Frankfort has been playing either one of or both Clinton Central & Clinton Prairie.  Both are 1A schools in the HH.  The record this '4A' school with 60 players on the roster has against these two schools?  4-4.      They are 2-3 against Central and 2-1 against Prairie.  So much for the large roster size...................

2 hours ago, NeonDeion said:

Making a move to a smaller conference composed of predominately 1A teams and keeping a similar level of regular season success while being "less" prepared for the post season due to them not seeing any schools similar in size as the schools waiting for them in Sectional 20 makes zero sense. 

Playoffs?!?!?!?!?!?

1 hour ago, Punttheball said:

That is not the Eastern agenda.  They would not like playing Eastbrook, Oak Hill, and Miss every year for a conference championship. It is why they got out of the MIC.  

Ahh, so it is the idea of winning conference championships rather than IHSAA championships? My basis for the idea is that they will prioritize tougher in season competition and join a better overall conference that will put them in a better situation to have more success in the postseason. Since you referenced the MIC I will include it in this data. According to AlamanacSports.com, they were in the MIC from 1960 to 1979 and then rejoined from 1987 to 2014. From 1960 to 1979, they won the conference seven times and won zero sectional or cluster championships. From 1987 to 2014, they won zero conference or sectional/cluster championships. Since joining the HHC in 2014, they have won the it outright twice ('19 and '20) and they shared the title with Sheridan in 2021. They have won zero sectional championships since joining the HHC. Why not try a happy medium (like the CIC) rather than stooping too low (HHC) and out punting your coverage (MIC)?

11 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Since 2018 Frankfort has been playing either one of or both Clinton Central & Clinton Prairie.  Both are 1A schools in the HH.  The record this '4A' school with 60 players on the roster has against these two schools?  4-4.      They are 2-3 against Central and 2-1 against Prairie.  So much for the large roster size...................

So...join a smaller 1A and 2A conference and still be bottom feeders? At least they have an excuse now.  What are they going to blame if they make the change to the HH?  Socioeconomics? Really?  Frankfort is the only town feeling the crunch? Please Muda!!!  Just call a spade a spade.

19 minutes ago, Punttheball said:

So...join a smaller 1A and 2A conference and still be bottom feeders? At least they have an excuse now.  What are they going to blame if they make the change to the HH?  Socioeconomics? Really?  Frankfort is the only town feeling the crunch? 

Yes.

Just call a spade a spade.

Ok, what do you believe is the cause of Frankfort's football malaise over the last decade or so?