Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Fort to Port

Fort Wayne vs Toledo

Downtowns are separated by an hour and a half. The Komets vs Walleye is vicious and the fans travel well. Fort Wayne and Toledo need to schedule some football games. I like that the SAC has dug into the Indy market as Week 1 this fall looks to be very entertaining. Week 2 in my opinion should be all about Toledo. Indy has regular hookups with Cincinnati and Louisville, Fort Wayne needs to do the same with Toledo. Furthermore, Luers needs to hook up with Coldwater, OH. Coldwater's impression of Fort Wayne can't be that good after obliterating Elmhurst by halftime several years back. 

Although the Miners prospects vs the team from Akron doesn't look to promising, it did inspire me to create this post.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BTF said:

Fort Wayne vs Toledo

Downtowns are separated by an hour and a half. The Komets vs Walleye is vicious and the fans travel well. Fort Wayne and Toledo need to schedule some football games. I like that the SAC has dug into the Indy market as Week 1 this fall looks to be very entertaining. Week 2 in my opinion should be all about Toledo. Indy has regular hookups with Cincinnati and Louisville, Fort Wayne needs to do the same with Toledo. Furthermore, Luers needs to hook up with Coldwater, OH. Coldwater's impression of Fort Wayne can't be that good after obliterating Elmhurst by halftime several years back. 

Although the Miners prospects vs the team from Akron doesn't look to promising, it did inspire me to create this post.  

Might want to go Luers vs Marion Local even. 

2 minutes ago, BTF said:

Good matchup for sure, but it's defeating the purpose of this thread. 

You mentioned Coldwater and Marion Local is right next door. Outside of Central Catholic, not sure the top end is necessarily there in Toledo. 

4 minutes ago, Basementbias said:

You mentioned Coldwater and Marion Local is right next door. Outside of Central Catholic, not sure the top end is necessarily there in Toledo. 

Good point, I did open the door to the outside of Toledo. I'm not sure what what Toledo has to offer other than being a big market in a state where the overall quality of football probably exceeds Indiana. 

Back in 2012 Toledo Whitmer beat the Jaylon Smith state champion Luers team 20-3. Snider only beat Luers 10-7 that same year before representing the north in 5a when it was still the biggest division. Columbus Harley wasted the Knights 40-7 that same year also. When little Coldwater came into Fort Wayne about a decade ago, they beat Elmhurst with just as much ease as the SAC's bigger schools did. I just think the bar is a little higher when you cross the border. Something tells me that Toledo is on the same level as the SAC or higher, without even doing the research. 

Hockey is big in Fort Wayne and Toledo, it's not uncommon to draw 8000 fans at either venue. It's vicious and the fans travel well. I think that could carry over to the high school football level. 

4 hours ago, BTF said:

Good point, I did open the door to the outside of Toledo. I'm not sure what what Toledo has to offer other than being a big market in a state where the overall quality of football probably exceeds Indiana. 

Back in 2012 Toledo Whitmer beat the Jaylon Smith state champion Luers team 20-3. Snider only beat Luers 10-7 that same year before representing the north in 5a when it was still the biggest division. Columbus Harley wasted the Knights 40-7 that same year also. When little Coldwater came into Fort Wayne about a decade ago, they beat Elmhurst with just as much ease as the SAC's bigger schools did. I just think the bar is a little higher when you cross the border. Something tells me that Toledo is on the same level as the SAC or higher, without even doing the research. 

Hockey is big in Fort Wayne and Toledo, it's not uncommon to draw 8000 fans at either venue. It's vicious and the fans travel well. I think that could carry over to the high school football level. 

Being a Stateline guy closer to MAC land than Toledo, the top MAC teams could give the SAC teams problems. Might be right on Toledo as I don't follow them heavily up there. Just seems the most success is CC up there. Though as has been shown, the SAC struggles with the Indy teams so they could struggle with Whitmer, Woodward, Scott, Start, & etc. Dealing with Whitmer in youth sports not football  (wrestling) in Ohio, they usually will show up to bully us small schools if they can. No surprise they chose smaller but talented Luers to play.

4 hours ago, Basementbias said:

Being a Stateline guy closer to MAC land than Toledo, the top MAC teams could give the SAC teams problems. Might be right on Toledo as I don't follow them heavily up there. Just seems the most success is CC up there. Though as has been shown, the SAC struggles with the Indy teams so they could struggle with Whitmer, Woodward, Scott, Start, & etc. Dealing with Whitmer in youth sports not football  (wrestling) in Ohio, they usually will show up to bully us small schools if they can. No surprise they chose smaller but talented Luers to play.

Unfamiliar with the MAC. I just looked them up. Looks like a bunch of small schools to me. 

2 hours ago, BTF said:

Unfamiliar with the MAC. I just looked them up. Looks like a bunch of small schools to me. 

They are but I believe have the most state championships in Ohio and possibly nation as a conference in football. Also have many in other sports. They beat a lot of bigger schools during non conference play.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2023 at 8:21 AM, BTF said:

Although the East Coast league has two things that high school football does not: beers in the arena and fights. 

2 hours ago, PDB26 said:

Although the East Coast league has two things that high school football does not: beers in the arena and fights. 

Lol, neither recommended for a high school football game. Although Rodney might disagree. 

Edited by BTF

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, roaringthunderdlr said:

Marion Local vs Adams Central would be intriguing.

I love my Flying Jets, but Marion Local would have no issues in beating us. They have the height advantage to get their passing game rolling. The MAC schools have size with weight & height that most smaller schools do not. Be curious as to how Indy Lutheran would match with Marion Local. Think Marion Local would win but it would be a decent game I believe. Marion Local has been highly ranked nationally. My newer eye doctor is a volunteer coach for Marion Local and it seems both programs have the same approach & mindset. They just have a much better passing game. I'm sure their running game would eventually wear AC down too. AC could possibly run against ML & possibly stop the ML run game for a bit. I know a few of us AC folks are big MAC & Marion Local fans as well as a few other Ohio neighbors in the NWC, GMC, and WBL conferences. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Basementbias said:

Be curious as to how Indy Lutheran would match with Marion Local.

According to Calpreps, this is how last season’s game would have turned out.

PROJECT A MATCHUP
neutral field
[2022] Marion Local (Maria Stein, OH) 31 (87%), [2022] Indianapolis Lutheran (Indianapolis, IN) 14 (13%)

On 4/29/2023 at 7:35 PM, Basementbias said:

They are but I believe have the most state championships in Ohio and possibly nation as a conference in football. Also have many in other sports. They beat a lot of bigger schools during non conference play.

Couldn't we say the same thing about the SAC with 22 state titles by six different schools? I do understand what you're saying though. Pound for pound, the Ohio schools appear to be way ahead of Indiana in the smaller divisions. Either way, I would be fun to see some border wars between Northeast Indiana and Northwest Ohio. 

4 hours ago, BTF said:

Couldn't we say the same thing about the SAC with 22 state titles by six different schools? I do understand what you're saying though. Pound for pound, the Ohio schools appear to be way ahead of Indiana in the smaller divisions. Either way, I would be fun to see some border wars between Northeast Indiana and Northwest Ohio. 

The MAC has 41 football championships and that's with one school yet to win one (Parkway who is next door to both AC & SA & where my mom went). Guess you could add New Knoxville as not winning one since they don't offer football. The running joke is that the New Knoxville Rangers will win a football title before the Parkway Panthers.

10 hours ago, Basementbias said:

The MAC has 41 football championships and that's with one school yet to win one (Parkway who is next door to both AC & SA & where my mom went). Guess you could add New Knoxville as not winning one since they don't offer football. The running joke is that the New Knoxville Rangers will win a football title before the Parkway Panther

That's serious.  When Coldwater played Elmhurst several years back, they were offended that the Trojans dropped a couple of the bigger SAC schools for "relief" on their brutal schedule and picked up Coldwater. I think South Side assumed Coldwater would be "relief" being a small school. Mercy rule would have taken affect early second quarter. That's a true story. I remember someone on from the Coldwater program using the word "offended." 

5 hours ago, BTF said:

That's serious.  When Coldwater played Elmhurst several years back, they were offended that the Trojans dropped a couple of the bigger SAC schools for "relief" on their brutal schedule and picked up Coldwater. I think South Side assumed Coldwater would be "relief" being a small school. Mercy rule would have taken affect early second quarter. That's a true story. I remember someone on from the Coldwater program using the word "offended." 

I did not know schools could pick and choose which schools they wanted to play inside the conference.

4 hours ago, jakone said:

I did not know schools could pick and choose which schools they wanted to play inside the conference.

Correction.........meant to say Elmhurst, not South Side. And they only dropped one team..........Snider. In 2003 they picked up Coldwater lost at home 60-7. They picked up Lima Senior in 2004 and lost 20-6. They resumed their series with Snider in 2005. 

1 hour ago, BLACKGOLD2007 said:

Carroll is going big this season with HSE and Warren Central back to back....I think all of Northern Indiana will be very aware of who the new top Dog is if they can put together two strong games in a row!

Good luck boys!

They return half their starters from last season and the student body keeps getting stronger. They might be the north's best team this year even if they start the season 0-2. HSE will be hungry when they host Carroll at Lucas Oil. And I'm making a semi-bold prediction that WC will be one of the top three teams in the state this year .

13 hours ago, BTF said:

They return half their starters from last season and the student body keeps getting stronger. They might be the north's best team this year even if they start the season 0-2. HSE will be hungry when they host Carroll at Lucas Oil. And I'm making a semi-bold prediction that WC will be one of the top three teams in the state this year .

Cannot wait to see the results!  

• 2 months later...

Forgot about TCC & 2 others Toledo St John's & Toledo St Francis had joined the Detroit Catholic League with Michigan schools. That probably makes the Fort to Port matchups less desirable. 

5 hours ago, Basementbias said:

Forgot about TCC & 2 others Toledo St John's & Toledo St Francis had joined the Detroit Catholic League with Michigan schools. That probably makes the Fort to Port matchups less desirable. 

Good point. One can only dream I guess. Then again, I thought the SAC splitting into to divisions three years ago was a pipe dream.