Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Coaches with state Championships in multiple sports?

Does anybody know any coaches that have won state titles in multiple sports?

I know Center Grove coach Moore has done it in Football and Track(2011).  Also, Coach Moore could be on the verge of winning football and track state titles in the same school year.  Currently CG track is ranked #1 in the state and giving points on current best times and distances CG would come out as state champs. That is big if and in my opinion I am not convince it will happen, but it would be awesome to see if it happens. Am interest in hearing what everyone else thinks.

9 minutes ago, CJJL said:

Mike Goebel from Mater Dei has won multiple state championships in wrestling and football.

MD has 13 in wrestling and 2 in football under Coach Goebel -a mark that is unlikely to ever be surpassed.

• Like 3

Doesn't qualify, but worth noting: 

Russ Isaacs won football in 1992 as one of the smaller schools in the largest division and had the highest winning percentage among all active coaches during his reign. His wrestling teams went 84-6-1 over and 8 year period. Those are some pretty sick numbers. 

• Like 1

The Daily Journal reporting Coach Moore retiring as track coach end of this season.  Excellent article called “One Final Lap”.  Congratulations Coach!!  What an incredible ride!!  

Coach Moore will continue as varsity football coach.

4 hours ago, Ballhawk said:

It's interesting that both coaches mentioned coach sports that complement each other.  I'm sure they have used both to their advantage.

No question. MD has an exceptional wrestling culture that is very unique to Indiana and definitely strengthens the football program. The MD JV wrestling team could probably beat most varsity teams (at least in SW Indiana). However, it seems (at least to an outside observer) that a lot of MD's "elite" wrestlers do not play football because they wrestle year-round. MD has more wrestlers than most 2A-3A schools have football players. 

21 hours ago, tango said:

MD has 13 in wrestling and 2 in football under Coach Goebel -a mark that is unlikely to ever be surpassed.

Goebel actually only won 12 state titles in wrestling, to go along with the 2 football titles.  in 2000 he won football and wrestling in the same year

The 13th wrestling title belongs to Greg Schaefer

Edited by Wildcat1992

4 hours ago, Ballhawk said:

It's interesting that both coaches mentioned coach sports that complement each other.  I'm sure they have used both to their advantage.

Yes...at CG, the name commonly heard for track is "frack"........

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wildcat1992 said:

Goebel actually only won 12 state titles in wrestling, to go along with the 2 football titles.  in 2000 he won football and wrestling in the same year

The 13th wrestling title belongs to Greg Schaefer

Thanks. I should have known that. 

8 hours ago, Ballhawk said:

I think the biggest thing they have in common is their support for multi-sport athletes................year round training. 

• Like 2