Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Logansport applies to Hoosier Conference

I cannot say that I saw this one coming. I think Logansport is a solid fit for the HC competitively. They obviously have a strong tradition of basketball and the Berry Bowl is one of the coolest basketball arenas in the state. Baseball has always been solid and football has really made a turnaround within the past few years.

This is devastating to the NCC as they would be down to 6 schools: Lafayette Jeff, Kokomo, Anderson, Muncie Central, Richmond and Marion - extremely spread out as well.

The NCC is now in dire need of adding a couple schools fast as the loss of either Kokomo or Jeff could threaten the conferences existence.

I, for one, am happy that Logansport is going this direction. They clearly were not happy/comfortable with Harrison and McCutcheon getting the boot and the NCC gets what they deserve with a longtime member electing to try and go elsewhere.

IMG_0071.jpeg

On 5/2/2023 at 2:46 PM, Bears62 said:

I cannot say that I saw this one coming. I think Logansport is a solid fit for the HC competitively. They obviously have a strong tradition of basketball and the Berry Bowl is one of the coolest basketball arenas in the state. Baseball has always been solid and football has really made a turnaround within the past few years.

This is devastating to the NCC as they would be down to 6 schools: Lafayette Jeff, Kokomo, Anderson, Muncie Central, Richmond and Marion - extremely spread out as well.

The NCC is now in dire need of adding a couple schools fast as the loss of either Kokomo or Jeff could threaten the conferences existence.

I, for one, am happy that Logansport is going this direction. They clearly were not happy/comfortable with Harrison and McCutcheon getting the boot and the NCC gets what they deserve with a longtime member electing to try and go elsewhere.

IMG_0071.jpeg

This is interesting. A lot of potential dominos could fall depending on the decision the HC makes. I don't know why they would vote them in. Logansport is too big for them. Does this Conference work if certain members can swallow their pride and/or make big changes? 

Logansport

Harrison

West Lafayette

Lafayette Jefferson

McCutcheon

Northwestern

Western

Kokomo

25 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

This is interesting. A lot of potential dominos could fall depending on the decision the HC makes. I don't know why they would vote them in. Logansport is too big for them. Does this Conference work if certain members can swallow their pride and/or make big changes? 

Logansport

Harrison

West Lafayette

Lafayette Jefferson

McCutcheon

Northwestern

Western

Kokomo

Calpreps says that Logansport would have dropped games last season to Heights, WL, and LCC.  Would have only been an 8-point favorite over RCHS and a 2-point winner over Cass.

As for pride, if Harrison and McCutcheon have to take the boot, the only thing good about the proposed league above, outside of having one, is the addition of West Lafayette ... and McCutcheon and Harrison already have WL on the non-con schedule.  Realistically, as bad as it seems getting booted from a conference, I think Harrison, as well as Jeff and maybe McCutcheon, weren't doing themselves any good for competition staying in the NCC.

1 hour ago, Boilernation said:

Logansport

Harrison

West Lafayette

Lafayette Jefferson

McCutcheon

Northwestern

Western

Kokomo

Logan and Western are both 4A in football.

1 hour ago, foxbat said:

Calpreps says that Logansport would have dropped games last season to Heights, WL, and LCC.  Would have only been an 8-point favorite over RCHS and a 2-point winner over Cass.

As for pride, if Harrison and McCutcheon have to take the boot, the only thing good about the proposed league above, outside of having one, is the addition of West Lafayette ... and McCutcheon and Harrison already have WL on the non-con schedule.  Realistically, as bad as it seems getting booted from a conference, I think Harrison, as well as Jeff and maybe McCutcheon, weren't doing themselves any good for competition staying in the NCC.

Eh, I saw Heights in person twice last year and Central Catholic once. I think Logansport could have taken them. But, I wasn't just referring to football. Considering all sports, wouldn't Loganstport dominate most of the current HC? Maybe I'm completely wrong. 

Your last line is why I think there needs to be some teaming up. McCutcheon and Harrison don't want to be on Independant island. Kokomo and Jeff should be seriously thinking about why they're holding onto the old glory of NCC basketball. Move on for the benefit of your entire athletic departments.  Logansport seemingly left the NCC because Harrrison and McCutcheon were booted. I'm assuming they would much rather join up with Lafayette schools and Kokomo than the HC. West Lafayette? IDK. They pretty much dominate the HC in football. Is that not the case in most of the other sports? Maybe Western and/or Northwestern was a reach. 

24 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Eh, I saw Heights in person twice last year and Central Catholic once. I think Logansport could have taken them. But, I wasn't just referring to football. Considering all sports, wouldn't Loganstport dominate most of the current HC? Maybe I'm completely wrong. 

Your last line is why I think there needs to be some teaming up. McCutcheon and Harrison don't want to be on Independant island. Kokomo and Jeff should be seriously thinking about why they're holding onto the old glory of NCC basketball. Move on for the benefit of your entire athletic departments.  Logansport seemingly left the NCC because Harrrison and McCutcheon were booted. I'm assuming they would much rather join up with Lafayette schools and Kokomo than the HC. West Lafayette? IDK. They pretty much dominate the HC in football. Is that not the case in most of the other sports? Maybe Western and/or Northwestern was a reach. 

Then why vote to boot Harrison and McCutcheon?  Only two programs voted not to boot Harrison and McCutcheon and I have to assume it was Harrison and McCutcheon. Assuming that Logansport truly believed their vote, then their move to the HC was totally opportunistic when they saw an opening left by Cass.  The other alternative means that they already knew that they were making a bid to leave the NCC and thus it would seem that the honorable thing would have been to abstain from voting about the future of a conference that you planned to leave.

Calpreps also shows Logansport finishing behind Western too.  That would put them about in the middle of the conference ... by Calpreps would have been fourth third in East last season and third in the West.

Edited by foxbat

Why not boot BC & NW, add Logansport and Lebanon?

BC & NW would have other conference options available to them.  I understand BC has history with the HC, but in the now they have slipped.  What other sports besides girls basketball are they competitive in the HC?

4 minutes ago, Punttheball said:

I don't ever recall NW being in  4A.

I think you are right.  I must have been thinking Northwood and mixed in with Western who is in 4A and the HC.

14 hours ago, Boilernation said:

Logansport

Harrison

West Lafayette

Lafayette Jefferson

McCutcheon

Northwestern

Western

Kokomo

You mean tells the likes of Marion, Muncie Central, Anderson, and Richmond to take a hike.  

Edited by Muda69

Considering all sports, wouldn't Loganstport dominate most of the current HC?

No they will not- they haven't won a basketball sectional game since 2014 I believe- they will at least be competitive in new conference but dominate? No way- wrestling not what it used to be-soccer, track, cross country, swimming will just be a competitor- girls sports just another competitor- baseball is their thing at Logan- always talented-always competitive- the new conference won't be a pushover though with very strong programs at Western/NW   It's a good move geographically for Logan, but they won't dominate this conference any more than they did the NCC- they are a 4A school with 2 or 3A athletes other than baseball. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am not sure if the Hoosier makes sense for the Berries but the Berries make sense for the Hoosier.  Western is 4A, Logansport is 4A, and West Lafayette is more 4A than both of them.  I know they are 3A.  Heights is a strong 3A roster wise and have physical kids that can handle 4A competition.  I think this makes really good sense for the Hoosier.  Does it make good sense for the Berries?  They might call it an even trade off with the exception of the loss of Jeff on their schedule.  Not sure how the Logan/Peru game figures in, but maybe Logan can keep Jeff on their schedule.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Punttheball said:

I am not sure if the Hoosier makes sense for the Berries but the Berries make sense for the Hoosier.  Western is 4A, Logansport is 4A, and West Lafayette is more 4A than both of them.  I know they are 3A.  Heights is a strong 3A roster wise and have physical kids that can handle 4A competition.  I think this makes really good sense for the Hoosier.  Does it make good sense for the Berries?  They might call it an even trade off with the exception of the loss of Jeff on their schedule.  Not sure how the Logan/Peru game figures in, but maybe Logan can keep Jeff on their schedule.

Once Jeff comes to its senses and realizes that it's an orca in an above-ground swimming pool in the NCC, it will realize that it can't do much of anything in 6A with Logansport as a non-con on their schedule anymore than with them on their schedule.  They used to have WL on their non-con, but WL has moved over/back to Harrison and McCutcheon.  Sharing the boundary with Harrison and deciding to open boundaries recently it's a smart admin move.  Jeff replaced them with Cathedral, which is a good move on paper, but probably less so on the gridiron.  If it remains in the NCC and Logansport goes to the HC, outside of maybe Kokomo, Jeff's going to get two shots in non-cons to get ready for Week 10.  I would suspect that Logansport would be on a short-list of of those non-cons unless that list is short because of external factors.

Well, it appears I'm relatively clueless when it comes to Logansport athletics. No offense to the HC when I say this, but I just assumed Logansport as an Athletic Department played at a level above the HC. Guess I'm wrong. It still makes zero sense to me that Jeff and Kokomo wouldn't want to side with Harrison and McCutcheon. The irony in that NCC meeting that resulted in Harrison/McCutcheon getting the boot is the remaining members go from seeing Harrison dominate to it now being Jeff or Kokomo. 

1 hour ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Logan has typically a strong golf program.   Just saying 🙂

They used to have a good baseball program as well, and their boys soccer program is usually decent.  Frankfort and Logansport share a number of socioeconomic demographics.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Boilernation said:

The irony in that NCC meeting that resulted in Harrison/McCutcheon getting the boot is the remaining members go from seeing Harrison dominate to it now being Jeff or Kokomo. 

This is the exact reason Jeff and Kokomo voted Harrison out.  They saw the opportunity to be the dominant school with the Raiders out of the way.

3 hours ago, HoopsCoach said:

This is the exact reason Jeff and Kokomo voted Harrison out.  They saw the opportunity to be the dominant school with the Raiders out of the way.

God forbid they'd compete for it.

11 hours ago, foxbat said:

God forbid they'd compete for it.

Politics, including athletic conference politics, is a competition, right?  Gotta let the school A.D.'s get in there and get dirty from time to time.

Logansport has seemed to be treading water in many sports recently. They haven't been horrendous in most, but they were a 4A school in a mostly 5A/6A conference. However, they have stuck out like a sore thumb lately demographically in the NCC. 

NCC school population by city

Indy - 887K

Lafayette - 70783

Muncie - 65914

Kokomo - 59604

Richmond - 35720

Marion - 28310

Logansport - 18366

Keep in mind that I only used the "city" populations, not the metro populations, which are much larger in the larger cities.