Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

South Bend Saint Joseph High School retiring the Indian nickname/mascot

Well the local tribe has sent letters to every schools with an Indian nickname demanding a change.  The forced a little town in Michigan to do it and then paid $ 300,000 to cover the cost.  I am not surprised this happened.  When the Tribe went to the media after the school announced the study it was doomed.   A lot will depend on the diocese and the administration.  SO they will do the process again of meetings and surveys and then pick a new name.  Fr. Bly had told alumni for many years before his death that if the nickname was changed he wanted the "Rams".  In his memory and honor I would say yes to that.  Time will tell.  But a Columbia Blue and WHite helmets like the Rams would be pretty sweet

16 minutes ago, Gipper said:

I wonder how this will be received by bigger programs such as Anderson and Lake Central.  

I wouldn’t consider this precedent, necessarily. St. Joe made it clear that their “Catholic values” could no longer be squared with use of the “Indian” name. Anderson and LC don’t have that issue.

15 hours ago, Bobref said:

I wouldn’t consider this precedent, necessarily. St. Joe made it clear that their “Catholic values” could no longer be squared with use of the “Indian” name. Anderson and LC don’t have that issue.

With some of the history between Catholic institutions and Native Americans, this makes sense.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oldtimeqb said:

Can the Cathedral Fighting Irish be far behind?

Different in my opinion. I'm not aware of the Catholic Church running assimilation schools (under the guise of missions) in Ireland the same way they did in North America and other places that contributed to the persecution of native people (culture, language, etc.). Plus, ND's mascot is the leprechaun (a fairy in Irish folklore) and not a depiction of a person from Ireland.  Indian mascots are often based on inaccurate, derogatory and/or stereotypical representations.  

That's my soapbox for the day... 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tango said:

Different in my opinion. I'm not aware of the Catholic Church running assimilation schools (under the guise of missions) in Ireland the same way they did in North America and other places that contributed to the persecution of native people (culture, language, etc.). Plus, ND's mascot is the leprechaun (a fairy in Irish folklore) and not a depiction of a person from Ireland.  Indian mascots are often based on inaccurate, derogatory and/or stereotypical representations.  

That's my soapbox for the day... 

Redskins I'll give you. Perfectly fine with that getting removed, that was the only derogatory one. Braves/Indians mascots should never be removed... there is nothing derogatory there. 

If so.... absolutely Irish, Quakers, etc need to be removed as they are just as offensive, as Braves/Indians are. Pendleton Heights? yeah you're giving your mascot name back too. Yankess+Texans, nope you gotta give yours up, as well. Cowboys.. you too. THE BOSTON CELTICS!! Can't have that. 

But we do live in a society that found Aunt Jemima+Uncle Ben offensive lol ... Land O Lakes butter--- HELL NO!!! Crazy, soft times we live in. 

1 minute ago, psaboy said:

Need to do something with "Cavemen". That triggers me a bit. 

Same! And the Nebraska Cornhuskers!! don't get me started there. The Floyd Central Highlanders, Minnesota Vikings are a few that sticks in my crawl. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Has this become the Nickname Hall of Fame 2.0?

Will religious leaders find problems with Red and Blue Devils of Lowell, Pike, Richmond, Tipton, and West Lafayette?  Even Pappy Gipper's Alma Mater was the Blue Devils before consolidating into South Newton and becoming the equally politically correct Rebels.

I wonder if PETA will show up in Oxford sometime this fall to protest BC's Bison.  They may also go after the Bronchos of Lafayette Jeff for the mere fact they can't properly spell it.  Safe schools would include the Hanover Central Wildcats, Lawrence Central Bears, Rushville Lions, and Seymour Owls,

The ancient worlds of Greece and Rome have been glorified, too as many schools have chosen Athenians, Spartans, Titans, and Trojans as their moniker.   The Pendleton Heights Arabians would probably be on PETA's list as opposed to that race of people who seem to hate everything.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Gipper said:

Has this become the Nickname Hall of Fame 2.0?

Will religious leaders find problems with Red and Blue Devils of Lowell, Pike, Richmond, Tipton, and West Lafayette?  Even Pappy Gipper's Alma Mater was the Blue Devils before consolidating into South Newton and becoming the equally politically correct Rebels.

I wonder if PETA will show up in Oxford sometime this fall to protest BC's Bison.  They may also go after the Bronchos of Lafayette Jeff for the mere fact they can't properly spell it.  Safe schools would include the Hanover Central Wildcats, Lawrence Central Bears, Rushville Lions, and Seymour Owls,

The ancient worlds of Greece and Rome have been glorified, too as many schools have chosen Athenians, Spartans, Titans, and Trojans as their moniker.   The Pendleton Heights Arabians would probably be on PETA's list as opposed to that race of people who seem to hate everything.

I heard the NN Spartans were originally supposed to be the Yankees, but they backed off and settled for Spartans.

I do understand the use of Indians if it is cartoonish or disparaging can be offensive, and Redskins is going a bit far.  I would personally be more offended being called a Minuteman.  That could get you a bad reputation!

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Ballhawk said:

I heard the NN Spartans were originally supposed to be the Yankees, but they backed off and settled for Spartans.

I do understand the use of Indians if it is cartoonish or disparaging can be offensive, and Redskins is going a bit far.  I would personally be more offended being called a Minuteman.  That could get you a bad reputation!

I never knew that about NN--good thing they didn't.  As an SN alumnus, I never really liked being a Rebel as I am much more fun-loving.  But back to the topic--Minuteman: bad news...

Perhaps we should just go the route of the NFL Washington team when they were changing from the Redskins and switched to just being the "Washington Football Team" for a season.  They were called exactly what they were.  Their name shouldn't offend anyone although their play might have.  

38 minutes ago, Gipper said:

I never knew that about NN--good thing they didn't.  As an SN alumnus, I never really liked being a Rebel as I am much more fun-loving.  But back to the topic--Minuteman: bad news...

Don’t understand why “Rebels” hasn’t been more of a target. Ask Roncalli.

• Kill me now 1