Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

South Bend Saint Joseph High School retiring the Indian nickname/mascot

2 hours ago, CoachGallogly said:

Roncalli isn’t referencing the confederacy….but Roncalli…the Rebel Pope. 

You know that, and I know that. But nevertheless, I give you the Roncalli Royals. And I don’t think the prominent display of the Confederate battle flag at Roncalli events over the years helped.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, tango said:

That's my soapbox for the day... 

My comment was mildly facetious, but I will respond with earnestness.  We will probably never completely agree on the topic, and that is fine with me.  I respect your opinion and understand your viewpoint. 

My contention is that I do not find the term "Indian" offensive.  I say that acknowledging I am neither the perpetrator (Catholic) nor aggrieved party (Native American) in this scenario.   If someone wants to change names, focus on things like Angel Mounds.  Can you name the group or tribe who inhabited the area and built the mounds?  I had to wikipedia it myself, and I have been there numerous times.  The name Angel comes from the family who owned the property in the 1800's.  That seems like a more noble cause for a name change. 

I can't tell you off-hand the name of the Mississippi Indians and how they inhabited Angel Mounds (to save people from googling) but I could tell you there once was a chief named Tecumseh and the Kickapoo Indians once inhabited Indiana.  I may never heard those names or had a curiosity sparked, if the people of Lynnville or Owensville had changed them.  Indian names and imagery are completely imbedded in the language of this state, Indiana.  Mississinewa, Wapahani, Maconaquah.  The merging of cultures and histories, warts and all, is something I would rather see embraced than erased.     

I will end with another facetious comment. 

According to Ludacris and Missy Elliot, "Minuteman" is as about a derogatory term as a someone could be called. Hey-ooo.  

Edited by oldtimeqb
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Bobref said:

Don’t understand why “Rebels” hasn’t been more of a target. Ask Roncalli.

We are talking about Kentland vs. the Indy area.  The SN Rebels could be renamed the Magas in that neck of the woods.

When Seeger HS was opened they were called the Indians.  The name was later changed to the Patriots, but this was long before the push to remove Native American names as mascots.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, Bobref said:

Don’t understand why “Rebels” hasn’t been more of a target. Ask Roncalli.

To be fair, Roncalli originally pushed the idea of a "rebel" pope, which makes perfect sense for John XXIII and Vatican II, but the Confederate battle flags and Ronnie Rebel derailed that idea and had nothing to do with the original naming of the mascot.  I suspect if the student body had instead taken up the peace sign, two fingers for Vatican II and carrying keys instead of the Confederate battle flags and the Confederate-uniformed mascot, it would have been much less an issue for the school.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

My comment was mildly facetious, but I will respond with earnestness.  We will probably never completely agree on the topic, and that is fine with me.  I respect your opinion and understand your viewpoint. 

My contention is that I do not find the term "Indian" offensive.  I say that acknowledging I am neither the perpetrator (Catholic) nor aggrieved party (Native American) in this scenario.   If someone wants to change names, focus on things like Angel Mounds.  Can you name the group or tribe who inhabited the area and built the mounds?  I had to wikipedia it myself, and I have been there numerous times.  The name Angel comes from the family who owned the property in the 1800's.  That seems like a more noble cause for a name change. 

I can't tell you off-hand the name of the Mississippi Indians and how they inhabited Angel Mounds (to save people from googling) but I could tell you there once was a chief named Tecumseh and the Kickapoo Indians once inhabited Indiana.  I may never heard those names or had a curiosity sparked, if the people of Lynnville or Owensville had changed them.  Indian names and imagery are completely imbedded in the language of this state, Indiana.  Mississinewa, Wapahani, Maconaquah.  The merging of cultures and histories, warts and all, is something I would rather see embraced than erased.     

I will end with another facetious comment. 

According to Ludacris and Missy Elliot, "Minuteman" is as about a derogatory term as a someone could be called. Hey-ooo.  

Here I go off topic a wee bit.  When I lived in Ecuador, I met a relative of Tecumseh from southern Ohio, Charley Brown...you might be able to find him...true...Cuenca, Ecuador.  He was a direct descendent of Tenskwatawa, The Prophet.  Charley said he could see the future, too.  And, I always tell my kids not to be judgy but one of those mentioned names is the most handsome woman I've ever seen.  Mac something.  

18 hours ago, Gipper said:

I wonder if PETA will show up in Oxford sometime this fall to protest BC's Bison.  They may also go after the Bronchos of Lafayette Jeff for the mere fact they can't properly spell it.  

Don't forget the Kokom Wildkats. 

And let PETA show up in Frankfort to protest the Hot Dogs.  They will get run out of town on a rail, guaranteed.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Ballhawk said:

We are talking about Kentland vs. the Indy area.  The SN Rebels could be renamed the Magas in that neck of the woods.

When Seeger HS was opened they were called the Indians.  The name was later changed to the Patriots, but this was long before the push to remove Native American names as mascots.

The school opened in the late 1960s--way different era then.  Old South was the way to go apparently--who knew?

20 hours ago, Gipper said:

Has this become the Nickname Hall of Fame 2.0?

Will religious leaders find problems with Red and Blue Devils of Lowell, Pike, Richmond, Tipton, and West Lafayette?  Even Pappy Gipper's Alma Mater was the Blue Devils before consolidating into South Newton and becoming the equally politically correct Rebels.

I wonder if PETA will show up in Oxford sometime this fall to protest BC's Bison.  They may also go after the Bronchos of Lafayette Jeff for the mere fact they can't properly spell it.  Safe schools would include the Hanover Central Wildcats, Lawrence Central Bears, Rushville Lions, and Seymour Owls,

The ancient worlds of Greece and Rome have been glorified, too as many schools have chosen Athenians, Spartans, Titans, and Trojans as their moniker.   The Pendleton Heights Arabians would probably be on PETA's list as opposed to that race of people who seem to hate everything.

Ahhh I'm glad you brought up PETA, excellent point... and in some cases, they put "fighting" in front of the mascot's name. So not only do they mock/make fun of animals, they want them to be dangerous! The horrors! 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, btownqbcoach1 said:

Ahhh I'm glad you brought up PETA, excellent point... and in some cases, they put "fighting" in front of the mascot's name. So not only do they mock/make fun of animals, they want them to be dangerous! The horrors! 

I do what I can.

2 minutes ago, btownqbcoach1 said:

Funny you say that--a school in the Chicago Suburbs, is named the Blazing Trojans.

4 minutes ago, Gipper said:

I'll be of the propensity to get bored at work, but some stuff you can't make up: the Effingham (IL) High School Flaming Hearts...

What in the Effingham?

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, btownqbcoach1 said:

People were offended when Louis Riddick said that. 😅

When a Diné coach says that direct quote to a team full of Diné players (maybe a Hopi or two), I think the circumstance might make it okay. 

Edited by Robert