Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

South Bend Saint Joseph High School retiring the Indian nickname/mascot

1 hour ago, Gipper said:

The term "Fighting Irish" was (of course) coined by the media to praise ND's hard-nosed, gritty play.  

Good perspective.  I am sure it was meant to be respectful, but some take it differently.  I am sure when North Dakota, Eastern Michigan, Marquette and others selected their nicknames and mascots, they meant it as a compliment and in the most respectful way.  Still, all of have changed.

Who would have thought the nickname Colonials with the mascot of George Washington for a university named after him would have been deemed offensive????  SMH

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

Good perspective.  I am sure it was meant to be respectful, but some take it differently.  I am sure when North Dakota, Eastern Michigan, Marquette and others selected their nicknames and mascots, they meant it as a compliment and in the most respectful way.  Still, all of have changed.

Who would have thought the nickname Colonials with the mascot of George Washington for a university named after him would have been deemed offensive????  SMH

Well.... all the other things we've allowed them to deem offensive, yeah that probably well goes along with that. 

I mean... the Cleveland Guardians? 

3 hours ago, btownqbcoach1 said:

Well.... all the other things we've allowed them to deem offensive, yeah that probably well goes along with that. 

I mean... the Cleveland Guardians? 

Pretty vanilla nickname, that the baseball organization goofed and took the name from the city's roller derby team.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/32643793/cleveland-guardians-settle-lawsuit-local-roller-derby-team-rights-name

I don't have a problem with generic names such as "Warriors....Indians.....Braves....etc."  Again, organizations are not naming their teams to embarrass or humiliate anyone, let alone their own organizations.  Some questioned the Chief Wahoo logo and I can understand the questioning.  So come up with a different logo. 

That being said...teams have been changing and getting away from names such as "Indians" for a long time.  I believe Stanford did so in the 1970's, Dartmouth, SE Missouri State, etc.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2023 at 12:40 PM, Bash Riprock said:

The problem would be who would have enough money to fight Notre Dame on the issue.  They would bury any law firm we could hire.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 77Jimmie said:

The problem would be who would have enough money to fight Notre Dame on the issue.  They would bury any law firm we could hire.

I don't think for one second ND should change their name or mascot.  Just think its hard to defend actions taken on Native American nicknames/mascots and rationalizing that some don't feel ND nickname and mascot is a questionable stereotype.  Personally, I think much of this has been way overblown and the NCAA has both been hypocritical and way outside of their lane, not to mention suck at prioritization of their largest issues and managing rules compliance.  

I just think if one points the finger at native american names/mascots, and if they want to be consistent, should consider them all instead of picking to their own bias as to what's offensive.