Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Chernobyl—-HBO

7 hours ago, DannEllenwood said:

Anyone else watching this?  Quite entertaining. 

Yes, I am watching this.  Agree, very entertaining.  The effects they used last episode for the individuals suffering from radiation poisoning/sickness was quite graphic.

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

Yes, I am watching this.  Agree, very entertaining.  The effects they used last episode for the individuals suffering from radiation poisoning/sickness was quite graphic.

My wife and I have only watched episodes 1 and 2 so far. We plan on watching episode 3 possibly today. For whatever reason, we had awful streaming issues last night with episode 2. Took us an extra 20-25 minutes to view due to buffering. 

14 hours ago, Muda69 said:

We just watched this episode today. Very good. Agreed on the effects. 

Will watch tonight’s episode tomorrow evening. 

Tonight's episode is the mini-series finale.  Should be a good one.

Chernobyl Is About What Happens When Citizens Believe Telling the Truth Is Futile: https://reason.com/2019/06/02/chernobyl-is-about-what-happens-when-citizens-believe-telling-the-truth-is-futile/

"You think the right question will get you the truth?  There is no truth," Anatoly Dyatlov tells Ulana Khomyuk in last week's penultimate episode of Chernobyl. "Ask the bosses whatever you want. You will get the lie, and I will get the bullet."

It's a scene that perfectly captures the essence of HBO's a five-part miniseries, which concludes Monday night, about the aftermath of the 1986 nuclear disaster in the former Soviet Union. Khomyuk, the scientist who is trying to solve the mystery at the center of the story—why did the nuclear reactor at the titular power plant seemingly inexplicably explode during a routine safety test—has been stonewalled by the Soviet government and most of the eyewitnesses have already died. Dyatlov, who was in charge of the plant on the night of the accident, is perhaps the only person who can connect the dots for her.

He's unwilling to talk. It's not self-preservation—though he is paranoid that she is helping the Soviet government pin the blame for accident solely on him, he also figures he's doomed one way or the other. It's hopelessness. The truth doesn't matter and won't be heard. Why risk telling it?

Chernobyl is a story about the cost of lies. Big ones like the flaw in the design of the plant's reactor that was left unfixed because admitting a mistake would make the USSR seem less technologically awesome. Smaller ones like the deliberately inaccurate radiation measurements that the Soviet government published to make the accident look less serious, but that ended up putting more people in harm's way. But the strength of the story—and the true horror at the center of Craig Mazin's gripping script—is how it examines the political and social rot that occurs when individuals become convinced that telling the truth is futile.

"The official position of the state," Boris Shcherbina, the Soviet official sent to Chernobyl to oversee the clean-up, remarks at one point, "is that global nuclear catastrophe is not possible in the Soviet Union."

I wonder what the U.S. response would have been had a similar level of catastrophe happened at someplace like 3-Mile Island?