Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

South Bend Clay Football?

It appears Bremen, John Glenn and Jimtown have dumped Clay from their 2023 football schedule.  Tippy Valley is reporting games with these future conference opponents on the weeks they have previously been scheduled to play Clay.  I'm wondering if Clay is planning to field a team this fall.  With the school closing at the end of the 2023-24 school year, maybe they have already given up on football.

Did Clay have a JV and/or Frosh team last year?

If not, then I can completley understand a school dropping them.  Why schedule a team that would not allow your own JV and Frosh to have a game that week?

On 5/12/2023 at 2:17 PM, MarshallCounty said:

Yep

I could be wrong, but I don’t think a school can play 2 varsity games a week. So did Clay agree to just play a JV game and cancel the varsity game? If not how can a team just decide not to play a conference game? If someone skips a varsity game, is it considered a forfeit? Interesting situation going on with Clay closing and those 3 leaving conference next year.

On 5/11/2023 at 9:18 PM, MarshallCounty said:

From what I heard, the 3 schools are sending their JV to play them. 

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA omg that is such a burn!  

The NIC just needs to tell SBSC to begin the athletics merger now.  What will happen is the kids playing ball will either not play or show up for practice at what will be their future school.

22 hours ago, SBFootballFan6 said:

I could be wrong, but I don’t think a school can play 2 varsity games a week. So did Clay agree to just play a JV game and cancel the varsity game? If not how can a team just decide not to play a conference game? If someone skips a varsity game, is it considered a forfeit? Interesting situation going on with Clay closing and those 3 leaving conference next year.

Maybe they just don't care.

adding TV to their schedule is better for them in the long run.

This is also interesting, if they don't play Clay, and the NIC rules it a forfeit, but the team beats TV in their game, which record do you go with?  What would the IHSAA recognize as the proper record?

1 hour ago, BLACKGOLD2007 said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA omg that is such a burn!  

The NIC just needs to tell SBSC to begin the athletics merger now.  What will happen is the kids playing ball will either not play or show up for practice at what will be their future school.

Well if you go by the by-laws, those players would not be able to play varsity sports. So they are in a tough spot.

1 hour ago, BLACKGOLD2007 said:

Maybe they just don't care.

adding TV to their schedule is better for them in the long run.

This is also interesting, if they don't play Clay, and the NIC rules it a forfeit, but the team beats TV in their game, which record do you go with?  What would the IHSAA recognize as the proper record?

Yes this will be an interesting thing to monitor.

On 5/14/2023 at 1:14 PM, SBFootballFan6 said:

They will probably count it as a JV game and Clay will count it as a varsity game. 

14 hours ago, MarshallCounty said:

They will probably count it as a JV game and Clay will count it as a varsity game. 

So if those 3 count it as JV games, would that mean their varsity forfeit their conference varsity game against Clay? So would each of these 3 start out with a lose in conference and does Clay start their season 3-0? I'm just not seeing how they can cancel a conference game and it not count as a forfeit. Someone help me out on this.

42 minutes ago, SBFootballFan6 said:

So if those 3 count it as JV games, would that mean their varsity forfeit their conference varsity game against Clay? So would each of these 3 start out with a lose in conference and does Clay start their season 3-0? I'm just not seeing how they can cancel a conference game and it not count as a forfeit. Someone help me out on this.

Probably. But I don't have the answer.

5 hours ago, SBFootballFan6 said:

That seems like the most reasonable answer.  There is a chance it may work out this way.  Clay will "start" the regular season 3-0 at the varsity level.  Since Bremen, Jimtown and Glenn are all leaving they will either force it as a varsity level loss or just turn a blind eye to it.  If they turn the blind eye to it, those schools could pawn that loss off on the JV teams, even if they actually win the game on the field. 

If the playoffs actually did seeding, then this would be very important.  However, since there is no seeding, even if you take the L at the Varsity level it does not affect your playoff standing.

17 hours ago, BLACKGOLD2007 said:

That seems like the most reasonable answer.  There is a chance it may work out this way.  Clay will "start" the regular season 3-0 at the varsity level.  Since Bremen, Jimtown and Glenn are all leaving they will either force it as a varsity level loss or just turn a blind eye to it.  If they turn the blind eye to it, those schools could pawn that loss off on the JV teams, even if they actually win the game on the field. 

If the playoffs actually did seeding, then this would be very important.  However, since there is no seeding, even if you take the L at the Varsity level it does not affect your playoff standing.

Thats a very good point, and the benefit of playing in Indiana. Now only thing it would effect is their finish in conference rankings. They probably don't even care if they leave with a conference title or not. They are just ready to be gone.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SBFootballFan6 said:

Well it is a benefit to the ones who may struggle for whatever reason in regular season, but has a team that can make a run possibly in their level.

You know, I’m just going to pass. I’m still trying to grow as a person. 😂

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Bobref said:

You know, I’m just going to pass. I’m still trying to grow as a person. 😂

I understand your point, and never said I'm a fan. But there has been programs that have ended regular seasons with losing records in Indiana and made long runs. Usually because they were one of smaller schools in bigger conferences. At some point Indiana will most likely change it's all in concept, but until then this is what we got.

56 minutes ago, SBFootballFan6 said:

I understand your point, and never said I'm a fan. But there has been programs that have ended regular seasons with losing records in Indiana and made long runs. Usually because they were one of smaller schools in bigger conferences. At some point Indiana will most likely change it's all in concept, but until then this is what we got.

I don’t believe so. They want to keep the all in concept the same for all sports. You change football are you going to ask the same for basketball or soccer or baseball or volleyball or golf?