Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Add two more weeks to the football season

Multiple issues with it. With this being a basketball state, there is no way anyone would really support going beyond Thanksgiving weekend to end the season. So, to start two weeks earlier puts the officially start date for practice in the middle part of July. Not really a fan of that myself. 

• Like 2

I personally think 15 games (if you make it to the finals) is a great number. Would not be in favor of extending it further. 

As for thanksgiving weekend....I’m personally not a fan of having it the day after thanksgiving but! But, it’s practically a sure fire day/weekend to have all the friends and family available to go and watch their team play for the title.  

If there was a push for a bye week, I say just have the season start 1 week earlier 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Trojanmp52 said:

When I mean add two more week I mean start early.  For instance this year the season starts August 24 move the start to August 9

I’m still up for moving it sooner. Just don’t want more games necessarily. Everyone gets to play a playoff game so it’s realistically a 10 games season and 15 if you make it to state. Those are good numbers

the only issue that may come from playing a few weeks earlier is the heat. Especially for southern Indiana.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TrojanDad said:

Its an interesting question.  Do coaches value the pre-season scrimmage game?  Honest question.  Could that scrimmage game be replaced with an actual game?  I get there would be scheduling issues to overcome.  But it would give each team 5 home and 5 away games each season.  

As a former coach, I would much rather have a 10th game instead of the scrimmage. 

9 hours ago, DannEllenwood said:

As a former coach, I would much rather have a 10th game instead of the scrimmage. 

Back in the day we played a 10 game regular season, along with a scrimmage.  Of course now that 10th game is a guaranteed spot in the state tournament.

Many school districts in the state have gone to a "balanced calendar".  Those schools usually begin by the first week of August.  

So if you move the schedule up two weeks...school will be in session for many districts.

I don't see an issue moving up the schedule. Maybe you have the "bye" week the week before the tournament starts.

Food for though

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Trojanmp52 said:

As far at the heat goes with daylight savings time you could move the start time back to 730 or even 8

That really solves nothing with it only like maybe 3 degree cooler at a later starting time.  Being down here right on the Ohio River alot of times those first 2 games you feel like you are sitting in a sauna.  So miserable in the stands and cant even imagine how it is pads for the kids.  Ive lived in both Indy and Evansville and its amazing in that distance how much hotter and more humid it is down here.

Edited by Panther86
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, btownqbcoach said:

Get rid of the inter squad scrimmages. 

Make the scrimmage week when we play another team the start of the regular season. 

The week that's usually the inter squad scrimmage, have it the week we scrimmage another team. 

Great point. 

ok after some thinking this is how I would add the weeks

1season would start aug 9 not the 24

2  move the start from  move start time back to 730 or 800 I think that is where i should be any with the state going to DLS I know it still would be hot but I think the sun would not bearing down the players

3 in the add 2 more weeks one would be a bye week

4 I would not start for 2 or 3 years so schools had time to work out all the kinks they would have

Changing scrimmage to a game would by far be the best way to add a game.  The current schedule still has the high school teams starting before the NCAA and NFL regular seasons, I would not be a fan of moving it up more. Summer break has been shortened too much already in my opinion, taking another two weeks off and having kids practice daily in July heat isn't something that I would be interested.  Moving back start time for early season games is a good idea, but schools have the leeway to do that now if they want. 

On 6/7/2019 at 12:27 PM, Trojanmp52 said:

ok after some thinking this is how I would add the weeks

1season would start aug 9 not the 24

2  move the start from  move start time back to 730 or 800 I think that is where i should be any with the state going to DLS I know it still would be hot but I think the sun would not bearing down the players

3 in the add 2 more weeks one would be a bye week

4 I would not start for 2 or 3 years so schools had time to work out all the kinks they would have

1. So instead of getting home at 12-1, it'll be 1-2. An hour less sleep for me would probably mean I'm not working on Saturday morning, the F/JV DH's on Saturday morning after Friday night in the heat are already taxing enough.

2. We've noticed many times as daylight feigns, it gets hotter. Usually some sort of a breeze during daylight hours that many times goes away as darkness falls. 

You could add two weeks, 

1. Drop scrimmages add a game there.

2. Change the tournament. Drop all team that have a loosing record. Half the schools are gone after week 1. Use that week to add your last regular season games.Sectional will be 4 teams instead of 8. 

Replace the first round of Sectionals with a tenth game. Instead of getting humiliated in the first round, the 0-9 team can schedule an opponent that is more on their level.

Benefits:

1. No more embarrassing losses for teams that aren't playoff worthy in the first place.

2. The regular season actually means something.

3. Island conferences like the SAC can schedule an out of conference game.

I mean seriously, there is NO way the IHSAA can debate that the current format is better than a 10 game season and eliminating half the teams from the playoffs. The regular season actually means something in the NFL and college............why not high school?

• Thanks 1

So for all of you who want to change the Football tournament & force teams to "qualify", are you going to do that in every sport?

I sure hope so because it would be unfair to punish thousands of football players while giving every other student-athlete in Volleyball, Soccer, Baseball, BASKETBALL, etc the opportunity to win a Sectional/Regional/Semistate/State trophy for their school.

And while you're at it, are you going to make all of the Wrestlers, Gymnasts, Track & Field athletes etc meet some sort of criteria in order to participate in their respective Sectionals??? It's only fair that you potentially take away the post-season opportunity from every athlete & not just Football.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, slice60 said:

So for all of you who want to change the Football tournament & force teams to "qualify", are you going to do that in every sport?

I sure hope so because it would be unfair to punish thousands of football players while giving every other student-athlete in Volleyball, Soccer, Baseball, BASKETBALL, etc the opportunity to win a Sectional/Regional/Semistate/State trophy for their school.

And while you're at it, are you going to make all of the Wrestlers, Gymnasts, Track & Field athletes etc meet some sort of criteria in order to participate in their respective Sectionals??? It's only fair that you potentially take away the post-season opportunity from every athlete & not just Football.

Are there any other sports that only have a nine game regular season? Every other sport allows their teams to schedule a variety of teams from different areas of the state throughout the season.

I don't think you are punishing anyone. If anything, you are making the regular season more exciting for the players by giving them something to compete for game in and game out. Just like the NFL and college, every game would be a playoff game. I would even go one step further and seed the playoffs, that way, even teams at the top have something to fight for. Do we really want to continue settling or the worlds dumbest playoff format? All in is one thing, the blind draw is another level of ridiculous.

Teams at the bottom are going to bow out after ten or eleven weeks anyway. So why not just let them schedule an opponent of similar skill level for that tenth game? It would also give teams in 5a and 6a an opportunity to play as many games as the teams in the other four classes. My last previous statement is debatable though. Coaches at the 5a and 6a level might appreciate the bye week for rest.

The main reason coaches still support the all-in is because they are hoping their 1-8 team will draw the 2-7 team in the sectional and they have a chance to win. They may even be hoping to upset of the 4-5 team in the sectional. It's the one motivational carrot they can give their players during the season to keep them engaged. But if they draw one of the top teams in the sectional they know their season is over. The last regular season game has no purpose. You could argue more of the season would be the same if they started 0-5 and knew they likely wouldn't make a qualifying tournament.

Try explaining this process to someone from another state and they will not believe you. If this really was a good system at least one other state would follow suit. Many of those states have more school but many have fewer. That's a non-issue. The current system does accomplish the goal of crowning a worthy state champion, but the way it gets there is the most illogical system.

You still haven't addressed why Football should be a "playoff format" while all of the other sports should remain as an all-in tournament. That's a PUNISHMENT against Football players. It's a lot easier for players & coaches to keep practicing hard near the end of the season when they still have Sectionals to prepare for. Do you think those teams sitting at 2-6 would still be just as excited about practices & games when they know their season ends at game #10?

And if you teams have to qualify with a winning record, many would purposefully schedule non-conference cupcakes in order to bolster their record.