Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Add two more weeks to the football season

6 minutes ago, JustRules said:

The current system does accomplish the goal of crowning a worthy state champion, but the way it gets there is the most illogical system.

How in the heck is every team gets the chance to go out & win or lose on the field "the most illogical system"???

Better yet, PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME HOW THE INDIANA BASKETBALL TOURNAMENT BECAME THE COUNTRY'S MOST PRESTIGIOUS & POPULAR H.S. TOURNAMENT FOR GENERATIONS EVEN THOUGH EVERY SCHOOL WAS IN THE TOURNAMENT. 

14 minutes ago, slice60 said:

How in the heck is every team gets the chance to go out & win or lose on the field "the most illogical system"???

Better yet, PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME HOW THE INDIANA BASKETBALL TOURNAMENT BECAME THE COUNTRY'S MOST PRESTIGIOUS & POPULAR H.S. TOURNAMENT FOR GENERATIONS EVEN THOUGH EVERY SCHOOL WAS IN THE TOURNAMENT. 

All in with random draw on who you play and where you play is illogical. Try to present this to anyone outside of Indiana and they will not believe anyone would have a system like that.

I would be willing to debate the all-in format. But the blind draw? Nobody in their right mind can make any sense out of that. I could make a better case as to why Warren Central should add Indiana Deaf to there schedule than making any sense out of how the blind draw is better than a seeding system.  

8 minutes ago, JQWL said:

I may be wrong on this but wasnt there a 5A team in recent history that won the state championship but had a losing record going into the tournament? I think this was prior to the 6A class.

Cathedral was 4-5 in 2012 and 2013 and went ahead and won state both years. 

Here is a few of my thoughts

1 the bye week add In is more for the 1-4 class then for 5 and 6 who most already have a bye week the first week of the playoffs.  So the more think about this instead add 2 weeks just add one 1-4 purts in a bye week 5 and 6 add a game.

2 I use to think seeding would be a good thing and get ride of the blind draw.  but the more I think about It.  I feel if you want to add more mean to the regaler season then they should do away with whole idea of “neutral field”.  The  Ihsaa can still do their blind draw but home field would go the better team and let them treat it like a home game with all the fanfare that goes along with it

Edited by Trojanmp52
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, JQWL said:

I may be wrong on this but wasnt there a 5A team in recent history that won the state championship but had a losing record going into the tournament? I think this was prior to the 6A class.

Cathedral would get into the playoffs based on their strength of schedule.

I feel like we are making up the rules as we go. So no teams with a losing record get in. Now that can have a losing record of they play a strong schedule. What about teams with a winning record but play a weak schedule? Do they get bumped by a team with a losing record but better schedule? You're right. This will simplify everything.

• Haha 1

I like "all in" as Indiana has comparably a small number of football playing schools.  The blind draw has never been blind....and one small tweak as suggested by the coaches to the IHSAA of just making sure the top two teams (by whatever criteria you wanna use...Sagarin, etc.), should be on opposite sides of the bracket.  About 85% of the complaining goes away by making that small adjustment.

I would support doing away with the scrimmage to add a game.

Edited by Titan32
  • Like 1

I like “all in” for high school sports. Regardless of how the season went it’s a chance to keep playing. Kids deserve that opportunity with their high school teammates, coaches and fans. Sports end soon enough for 90% of the kids. 

T32 is correct. 1 small adjustment can solve a lot of problems. 

• Like 1

The problem with "all in" and not completely seeding the tournament means the regular season is essentially meaningless for the better programs in the state.  And just seeding the top 2 won't solve the problem.   And I don't care what method they use but seed the whole thing.  I still prefer not everyone getting in because when you seed it you're going to have huge mismatches at least the 1st week.

Does the regular season mean anything? I guess that’s a question for your players/coaches. I’ve haven’t met many players/coaches that Friday night didn’t mean everything. It’s high school sports. It’s hard enough to keep kids involved...now tell them they can play the regular season but there is a chance they won’t get to play in the tournament. And for a good number of teams I’m sure they would realize from day 1 they won’t be good enough to qualify.  If the regular season is ever meaningless to a team then that team has competitiveness issues  and character issues.  We are talking about programs that will likely be one and done.  So who cares? And, if they shock the world....good for them! 

HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS!  Let’s do all we can to give the kids a chance to play. 

Evansville Bosse would have never qualified last season in football. But they took a 28 point lead over an undefeated Boonville team. Boonville eventually won by 7 but that game was everything that is right with “all-in!”   

Edited by Screagle
  • Like 2

The IHSAA is never going to change how the season ends.......... the 2-day state finals at Lucas Oil on Thanksgiving weekend.  So changes would go backwards from there.  Recent history has shown those mid-August games are brutal in the 90 degree heat and humidity........ perhaps if game times were pushed up by 60-90 minutes that would help.  When the sun doesn't set until halftime there is just something wrong!  I remember when I was in high school all games started at 8:00. Perhaps the later start would also help the visiting fans more time to travel?

On 6/21/2019 at 4:48 PM, dmizers3 said:

The problem with "all in" and not completely seeding the tournament means the regular season is essentially meaningless for the better programs in the state.  And just seeding the top 2 won't solve the problem.   And I don't care what method they use but seed the whole thing.  I still prefer not everyone getting in because when you seed it you're going to have huge mismatches at least the 1st week.

If your regular season games are meaningless...you’re doing it wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Titan32 said:

If your regular season games are meaningless...you’re doing it wrong.

Obviously inside the program that's the case.   Clearly you didn't understand my point.   There is zero reward as far as the tournament goes for having a great regular season.   When 2 top teams can potentially meet in the 1st or second round that's just plain stupid.  More to the point it's just laziness by the IHSAA.  

• 2 weeks later...

Gotta say ... interesting topic.

Let's say we started 2 weeks early, as Trojanmp52 suggests. 

Currently,  fall sports except girls golf starts Aug 5.  Got to have non-contact days and 10 practices,  according to IHSAA.

Now let's go backward from Aug. 5 by 2 weeks to fit in the IHSAA requirements. 

Takes us to July 22, 2019, for Day #1 of football. 

Trojanmp52, what is the benefit to starting Indiana HS football July 22?

The IFCA propose this?

Have you checked with any HS football coach on this one?

Are we starting ALL fall sports on July 22?

If not, that becomes a title IX issue.

Just curious.....

As always, the game is better 

from_the_sidelines007 

On 6/20/2019 at 9:55 PM, JQWL said:

To add, Fort Wayne Luers for a few times had 4+ loses in regular season because they were playing against 4A & 5A teams in regular season. Come time for playoffs, they would have deep run, if not win it all. 2009 & 2007 are good examples.

3 hours ago, from_the_sidelines007 said:

Gotta say ... interesting topic.

Let's say we started 2 weeks early, as Trojanmp52 suggests. 

Currently,  fall sports except girls golf starts Aug 5.  Got to have non-contact days and 10 practices,  according to IHSAA.

Now let's go backward from Aug. 5 by 2 weeks to fit in the IHSAA requirements. 

Takes us to July 22, 2019, for Day #1 of football. 

Trojanmp52, what is the benefit to starting Indiana HS football July 22?

The IFCA propose this?

Have you checked with any HS football coach on this one?

Are we starting ALL fall sports on July 22?

If not, that becomes a title IX issue.

Just curious.....

As always, the game is better 

from_the_sidelines007 

the more I have thought about  this I am thinking one week would be better then 2.   1-4 class can add a bye week and 5and 6 add one more game that way ever one has a total of 15 games. so that would  put the start of the season at july 29

Truthful  football has already started teams get 12 I call it pro-pads practices in the summer

their is no reason all sports have to start at the same time so I see no need to change other sports and would not see this as a title IX issue

On 6/23/2019 at 9:13 AM, dmizers3 said:

Obviously inside the program that's the case.   Clearly you didn't understand my point.   There is zero reward as far as the tournament goes for having a great regular season.   When 2 top teams can potentially meet in the 1st or second round that's just plain stupid.  More to the point it's just laziness by the IHSAA.  

All conference champions should receive a top seed in the sectional and a guaranteed opening round home game.  This will give more meaning to regular season play.

1 hour ago, DT said:

All conference champions should receive a top seed in the sectional and a guaranteed opening round home game.  This will give more meaning to regular season play.

What  if you have two conference championships in the same sectional

Not saying this is a bad idea just the fact this good happen 

Edited by Trojanmp52