Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

QB's that play Defense

As far as I’m personally aware....Jack Kiser was the only one who played LB....QBs are generally one of the most athletic kids on the team so if I see a QB playing both ways, they are a DB...

with that said, it all depends on numbers for the game and situation. I see a lot of late game qb plays DB (if they are fast)

Edited by DumfriesYMCA
  • Like 1

At Heritage Hills the quarterback normally plays defense. 

In 2012 when Justin Hedinger tore is acl we not only lost the starting quarterback but also best linebacker and punter.

Following game we shanked 2 punts both leading to touchdowns in a close loss at Gibson Southern.

In this case though we missed him more at LB and punter then at quarterback. 

• Like 1

FWIW - back in I believe 2003 and 2004 seasons, Chris Kramer of Purdue basketball fame never left the field for at the time 5A Huntington North. He was an absolute stud athlete. Starting QB, played defense (I can't remember if he was a safety or linebacker), excellent punter and returned all kicks as well. Even as a 5A school (the largest class at the time), if you have an athlete like that, I say play him as much as he is able and willing. 

• Like 1

1994 Castle State Championship team: Vince Lidy was starting QB and starting ILB.  Ended up playing at IU on scholarship I believe as LB.  Did a lot of tossing to Tony Salpietra (Sp) then leading the play as a blocker.  Castle ran that wild unbalanced line with no wideouts.  Just too many gaps to defend and only 1 RB!  Man that team could pound the ball. 

• Like 1

Linton historically... always had had the QB on D...   Last year our Soph QB didn't play D...but I suspect he will this year.   Most every Miner QB has also been the Free Safety.  Tyler Meurer, Keith Cunningham, Keaton Cox some to mind.  Austin Karazsia, our 6'7 QB from '09-'12 i don't think ever was on the field on D.    Course being a small school.. we want out best 11 out there at all times...so it's rare that ours sit on D.. unless we are lucky to have quality players at that particular position.

• Like 1

I'm saying year in and year out, is their an underlying factor for letting your starting QB compete for a starting defensive position or is it just the HC's preference? At what point is the risk not worth the reward?

In the pros QB's put butts in the seats. They will have multiple back ups but they are not on the same level.

In college, QB's putt butts in the seats. They will have multiple back ups that may or may not be on the same level.

In high school, QB's are often the only option a team has for QB. Yes there are exceptions, but I'd much rather my QB got hurt scrambling than making a tackle. 

• Like 2

in 2014 our best Corner was our QB, but we were loaded and did not have to play him at CB, but we did for 4 games.   West Lafayette, LCC X 2 and State game vs Mater Dei 

If anyone remembers state game, early in 1st, Mater Dei got loose, this corner took like a 90 yard angle from backside, knocked the runner out of bounds at the 3.  2 plays later we cause a fumble and held them out of EZ, all because of his effort on the play.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, johnathanspencer said:

1994 Castle State Championship team: Vince Lidy was starting QB and starting ILB.  Ended up playing at IU on scholarship I believe as LB.  Did a lot of tossing to Tony Salpietra (Sp) then leading the play as a blocker.  Castle ran that wild unbalanced line with no wideouts.  Just too many gaps to defend and only 1 RB!  Man that team could pound the ball. 

We ran that same O at KV (when we REALLY wanted to drain the clock) when we had success from 2012-2015. 

Nick Zachery was starting quarterback and played safety for Sheridan from 2005 to 2008; state champion the first three years, runner-up to Ritter in 2008. 

I pulled the following information from the 2010 IU Football roster:

Four-year (high school) varsity starter played quarterback, safety, returned punts and kicks and served as the team's place-kicker and punter in his career ... 2008 Indiana Mr. Football runner-up and Mr. Football at defensive back. 

• Like 1

From what I have seen in games across the state, the QB playing defense is most prevalent at the 1A and 2A levels because of numbers.  It occurs occasionally at the 3A level on a situational basis.   I have not seen any QB's play defense at the 4A or 5A level.  At those levels, why would you put one of your most valuable and important players at risk?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, nmsu_aggie said:

From what I have seen in games across the state, the QB playing defense is most prevalent at the 1A and 2A levels because of numbers.  It occurs occasionally at the 3A level on a situational basis.   I have not seen any QB's play defense at the 4A or 5A level.  At those levels, why would you put one of your most valuable and important players at risk?

James Banks was a lone exception to that rule that I can recall. 

• Like 3