Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Season has flat flown by . . . .

Here we go for Week 9 of the HNAC season.

Culver at LaVille

Knox at Caston

North Judson at Pioneer

Triton at Winamac

How do the Bluejays and the Panthers play this one since they drew each other in the first round of the IHSAA state tournament?
Or does it matter?  Both tied at 3-3 in the HNAC standings headed into the final week of the season. Placement in the conference standings up for grabs.

How you all playing this one?

What say you?

as always, the game is better

from_the_sidelines007

Culver at LaVille- LaVille can start their prep for Andrean without much worry of the Cavs.  35-0

Knox at Caston- HNAC champs win easy. Hopefully both teams stay healthy for the sectional run. 52-6

North Judson at Pioneer-  This game is about figuring out what works for round 1. Luckily for Judson, Pioneer doesn't pass a bunch. 28-14

Triton at Winamac- Triton rebounds after last weeks beat down. 34-20

It will be interesting to see how Pioneer/North Judson handle this game Friday!  Neither team wanting to show off everything and by all means staying healthy.  It wouldn’t surprise me if they “rested” some of their main players for this first matchup that basically means nothing.

3 hours ago, from_the_sidelines007 said:

Season has flat flown by . . . .

Here we go for Week 9 of the HNAC season.

Culver at LaVille

Knox at Caston

North Judson at Pioneer

Triton at Winamac

How do the Bluejays and the Panthers play this one since they drew each other in the first round of the IHSAA state tournament?
Or does it matter?  Both tied at 3-3 in the HNAC standings headed into the final week of the season. Placement in the conference standings up for grabs.

How you all playing this one?

What say you?

from_the_sidelines007

LaVille big

Knox big

Judson 

Triton

Wouldn't surprise me whoever wins week 9 match up w NJ/Pioneer loses week 10.

Culver at LaVille- Laville big here. nothing else to say. 51-0

Knox at Caston- Knox big as well. 62-8

North Judson at Pioneer- This one will really be a doozy. It's tough to pinpoint this. If Pioneer comes out firing it think it'll be tough. Pioneer missed their FB and last week it showed just how good he is. Judson has size. 

Triton at Winamac- Triton big here as well. 42-0

Sounds like the best game will be played in Royal Center this week. Can't wait for it!

The Judson / Pioneer game should be a good one, but it really doesn't matter who wins it.  Next week is when it matters.  I found it interesting that the frosh QB started last Friday rather than Hill.  Is he the QB going forward?  Or should we expect Rans back this week?

The Triton / Winamac game will be much closer than some might expect.  Winamac is a different team these last few games.  I would guess maybe a 2 score game, especially with rainy weather on Friday night.  Shively is much more effective when the playing conditions are favorable.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, FinePrint said:

The Judson / Pioneer game should be a good one, but it really doesn't matter who wins it.  Next week is when it matters.  I found it interesting that the frosh QB started last Friday rather than Hill.  Is he the QB going forward?  Or should we expect Rans back this week?

The Triton / Winamac game will be much closer than some might expect.  Winamac is a different team these last few games.  I would guess maybe a 2 score game, especially with rainy weather on Friday night.  Shively is much more effective when the playing conditions are favorable.  

The freshman at QB (Shiloh Rhine) gave Pioneer more options in the run game. Hill at wing helps Pioneer stretch the defense out more than with him at QB in my opinion.

24 minutes ago, CoachDurham said:

Does the outcome have any affect on All Conference? Whoever wins gets to nominate more players for HNAC?

I do not know the conference by-laws.

The higher you place in conference standings,  the more players you can nominate for the all conference team.

19 hours ago, Oldschool said:

It will be interesting to see how Pioneer/North Judson handle this game Friday!  Neither team wanting to show off everything and by all means staying healthy.  It wouldn’t surprise me if they “rested” some of their main players for this first matchup that basically means nothing.

I think they should both forfeit this week. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Oldschool said:

The higher you place in conference standings,  the more players you can nominate for the all conference team.

In my humble opinion, HNAC all-conference is a joke.  It in no way reflects the best players at any position.  It's simply coaches choosing who they want to have the honor from their own teams.  Whatever happened to coaches voting on the best player at each position to be all-conference?  If you happen to be the second best player in the conference, but the best player also plays your position, then you aren't all-conference!  Sorry.  

I think all-conference offense should be 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 center, 2 guards, 2 tackles.  Coaches vote on the best.  They are the all-conference team.  Period.  If you want to vote on a second team, fine.  But giving every team X number of players (regardless of the position they play) based on their finish doesn't mean nearly as much to me.  It doesn't truly represent the best players in the conference.  

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, FinePrint said:

In my humble opinion, HNAC all-conference is a joke.  It in no way reflects the best players at any position.  It's simply coaches choosing who they want to have the honor from their own teams.  Whatever happened to coaches voting on the best player at each position to be all-conference?  If you happen to be the second best player in the conference, but the best player also plays your position, then you aren't all-conference!  Sorry.  

I think all-conference offense should be 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 center, 2 guards, 2 tackles.  Coaches vote on the best.  They are the all-conference team.  Period.  If you want to vote on a second team, fine.  But giving every team X number of players (regardless of the position they play) based on their finish doesn't mean nearly as much to me.  It doesn't truly represent the best players in the conference.  

So if that’s the case, can a player be all conference at multiple positions since many of the HNAc ply both ways as well as kick and punt?

12 minutes ago, Oldschool said:

So if that’s the case, can a player be all conference at multiple positions since many of the HNAc ply both ways as well as kick and punt?

Yes, if you really want to recognize the BEST players at each position, then you let them win on both sides of the ball and special teams.  But since I'm a reasonable guy, I would be willing to limit a player to winning at only one position if that makes everyone feel better.  It waters it down a bit in my opinion, but it's a compromise I could live with.

2 minutes ago, FinePrint said:

Yes, if you really want to recognize the BEST players at each position, then you let them win on both sides of the ball and special teams.  But since I'm a reasonable guy, I would be willing to limit a player to winning at only one position if that makes everyone feel better.  It waters it down a bit in my opinion, but it's a compromise I could live with.

So let’s hear it Fine Print. Your top 22 by position plus a punter and a kicker!

Culver at LaVille- LaVille will have 2 weeks of Andrean prep.

Knox at Caston- Knox Football team preps for sectionals and gets guys some rest this week

Triton at Winamac- Trojans pummel Winamac from start to finish.

North Judson at Pioneer-  I think that both teams will head into this one with the mindset to win this week and next. What is there to hold back for either team? Both teams want to control the ball and play great defense. One with a wing-t and one with a power/option scheme.

Neither team is going to come out and magically do something on offense that they haven't done all season. The real question this week will be to see how Freshman QB Shiloh Rine develops with a week of confidence under his belt for Pioneer. He played well last week against Culver and his comfort may end up being the difference maker for Pioneer.

Defensively, Judson will be in their 4-4/4-3 looks and will be very sound versus the Panther offense. I'm curious to see which defense the Panthers settle on this week as they have been in about 6 different looks since week one, while trying to find what fits their young core best.

So reading between the lines, HNAC all-conference is basically a waste of time.

It is interesting, though, how many schools join a conference and want conference recognition for their respective student-athletes - in as many sports as the conference can fill teams for.  There are those that choose not to join a conference, while others want in a conference and may not be able to find a conference.

I don't know exactly how many players are eligible for nomination for football in the HNAC, but it seems like the number is rather high.

Based upon the release of the All-HNAC football team last year, over 40 players received recognition.

I'm pretty sure that the higher you finish, the more players you are allowed to nominate.  At least that what last year's HNAC listing looked like,

If the HNAC is like so many other conferences, coaches are not allowed to vote for their players.

I have also seen other conferences list players by a first team and a second team.  Some then add either a third team with no honorable mention or an honorable metion following a second team.

Seems like some conferences have such a large amount of nominations per sport that players that are selected first team, are actually more deserving of honorable mention.

Now granted, each athlete that receives a vote is generally considered HM in some conferences.

And, there are some coaches that simply indicate that they are nominating a player and would like for them to be considered an HM selection.

I would agree with fineprint that the process should be more direct in narrowing it down. Maybe something like 7 linemen, 5 backfield, 3 receivers, 2 special teams, and a kicker.  Just spit balling here . . . . 

Maybe someone else has some input?

from_the_sidelines007

I think being an “all-conference” player does mean something to the kids especially if they plan on playing at the next level.  But picking the actual best players by position would lead to a lot more tension and arguments between coaches which would not be a good thing!

Anyone know how the process works from All Conference to All State? I get the HNAC coaches know the conference players, but how is All State chosen?  Is it a statewide 2A coaches vote? You can’t tell me coaches know the other side of the states player’s performance!?Review film? Just curious. 

39 minutes ago, Lancernation said:

Anyone know how the process works from All Conference to All State? I get the HNAC coaches know the conference players, but how is All State chosen?  Is it a statewide 2A coaches vote? You can’t tell me coaches know the other side of the states player’s performance!?Review film? Just curious. 

IFCA All State players are selected by region regardless of class size. The coaches in a specific region get together and nominate their players and give a spiel on why the player is deserving and then all of the coaches vote. When fans wonder why player xyz did not make the team, sometimes it is as simple as the coach didn't show up to represent. Other times it is due to better players at the specific position. 

Can't speak on the AP process.

• Thanks 1