Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Geffert our at Griffith

On 6/11/2019 at 12:25 AM, DT said:

Is East Chicago still open?  That would be an interesting challenge for Geffert.  

I believe Geffert will be an Assistant at Munster. Interesting development. He seemed excited to return to Griffith and return the Panthers to a dominate force. A record of 26-9 the past 3 seasons is outstanding compared to the Pickett era, even though it was against a watered down Greater South Shore schedule. Seems odd that he would leave his alma mater to go west on 45th Street and be an Assistant.

What does Munster pay teachers vs Griffith?    Coaching is extra for sure, but at the end of the day us coaches have to take care of #1 which is the day gig, the salary vs the stipend.   I have not talked to Coach Geffert, I just know that Munster pays more than Griffith.   

7 hours ago, Boilernation said:

I believe Geffert will be an Assistant at Munster. Interesting development. He seemed excited to return to Griffith and return the Panthers to a dominate force. A record of 26-9 the past 3 seasons is outstanding compared to the Pickett era, even though it was against a watered down Greater South Shore schedule. Seems odd that he would leave his alma mater to go west on 45th Street and be an Assistant.

Jason Grunewald is interim HC at Munster.  Or he was was named to succeed Coach Marsh.  Looks like Geffert is likely HC in waiting.  

14 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

What does Munster pay teachers vs Griffith?    Coaching is extra for sure, but at the end of the day us coaches have to take care of #1 which is the day gig, the salary vs the stipend.   I have not talked to Coach Geffert, I just know that Munster pays more than Griffith.   

Easton grad Mike Hackett did not apply for the recently filled Michigan City High School boys basketball head coach position because I was told he makes 6 figures at Munster and did not want to take a pay cut.

7 hours ago, Tommy said:

Easton grad coach Hackett did not apply for the recently filled Michigan City High School boys basketball head coach position because I was told he makes 6 figures at Munster and did not want to take a pay cut.

7 hours ago, Tommy said:

Easton grad Mike Hackett did not apply for the recently filled Michigan City High School boys basketball head coach position because I was told he makes 6 figures at Munster and did not want to take a pay cut.

I definitely don’t make 6 figures but when I left Michigan City to teach in crown Point I immediately made more (not a ton) money in CP without coaching than I did in MC coaching 2 sports. Gotta do what’s best for you and your family 

• Like 1

Hackett would have been an excellent addition to the Duneland. Similar to Mason in football, I believe he would have turned City basketball into a force. I'm no expert on tax revenue and school funding. With that said, does Michigan City have strong tax revenue from Nipsco, Blue Chip, and possibly the lakefront mansions lining the coast from Long Beach up to Michiana Shores? Are the schools funded poorly?

17 hours ago, johnathanspencer said:

100% of the general funds (salaries and wage related benefits) now comes from Indy.  That was part of Mitch Daniels' property tax reform bill.  Property taxes went down but teacher salaries froze.  Local property taxes can no longer supplement the general fund.

Many don't understand this.  It has lead to the sad state of Indiana public education.  The pay freeze and no way to climb the latter without increased enrollment is a large part of why I'm no longer a teacher and coach in the great state of Indiana.  Sad that so many don't realize how the system works.  

18 hours ago, johnathanspencer said:

100% of the general funds (salaries and wage related benefits) now comes from Indy.  That was part of Mitch Daniels' property tax reform bill.  Property taxes went down but teacher salaries froze.  Local property taxes can no longer supplement the general fund.

Interesting. Thanks for the schooling!