Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

22 hours ago, Boilernation said:

One thing Valpo really has going for them is they are built to win in November. As mentioned above, they killed Snider and Whiteland by continuing to run off tackle over, and over, and over again with a power running game. It'll be the same story this year with a presumably healthy 6'0 220 Travis Davis at RB and a huge OL anchored by 6'6 270 Toledo committ Matt Hofer at Tackle. 

That’s a great place to start.

• 3 weeks later...

I feel like Plainfield is criminally underrated and needs to be in the discussion soon. A new era’s coming for the Quakers and first-year head coach Tyler Bless and they have 3 Division I prospects to go along with an experienced QB, momentum, and a down year in the Mid State. Plainfield can easily beat Decatur and/or Harrison in the sectional like they did last year and a run to Lucas Oil is possible.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, roaringthunderdlr said:

I feel like Plainfield is criminally underrated and needs to be in the discussion soon. A new era’s coming for the Quakers and first-year head coach Tyler Bless and they have 3 Division I prospects to go along with an experienced QB, momentum, and a down year in the Mid State. Plainfield can easily beat Decatur and/or Harrison in the sectional like they did last year and a run to Lucas Oil is possible.

At this point it's safe to say the top team in the Mid-State would be a contender in 5A. I don't follow the Mid-State enough to know what everyone has returning. Why are you predicting a down year for the Conference? 

2 hours ago, Boilernation said:

At this point it's safe to say the top team in the Mid-State would be a contender in 5A. I don't follow the Mid-State enough to know what everyone has returning. Why are you predicting a down year for the Conference? 

Whiteland losing top talent, Franklin losing top talent, Decatur was down last year, and Mooresville loses their QB. Decatur can be good like they have been in previous years, but the disastrous end of the year that they had makes me think otherwise. I suspect Mooresville and Martinsville will be fine as well, good in conference but no match for the best teams in 4A. It’s a reasonable prediction that every team in the MSC has at least three losses though. I think Plainfield is the best in the MSC this year, then Mooresville, then DC/Whiteland/Martinsville, and then Franklin, then Perry/Greenwood.

On 6/27/2023 at 8:28 AM, Boilernation said:

One thing Valpo really has going for them is they are built to win in November. As mentioned above, they killed Snider and Whiteland by continuing to run off tackle over, and over, and over again with a power running game. It'll be the same story this year with a presumably healthy 6'0 220 Travis Davis at RB and a huge OL anchored by 6'6 270 Toledo committ Matt Hofer at Tackle. 

Anyone know what crown points line is like this year? Or merrillville? Heard both of them are bigger than last year but haven’t seen for myself. Going to the CP week 0 scrimmage. And will see merrillville against my nephew at elkhart next week

On 6/23/2023 at 10:39 AM, BTF said:

2023 looks to be stacked at the top with at least four teams. It’s looking like the usual suspects once again.

1.           Valparaiso – With 19 starters returning from last years state title team, this is a pretty easy pick at the #1 position. They would easily qualify as a Top 10 team in 6A this year. They’ll get their opportunity in 2024 after graduating most of the guys who made the prior two years successful. This is a major glitch in how the success factor works.

2.           Snider – The panthers return half their team and will have a chip on their shoulder after missing a golden opportunity last year to win their third state title. Look for Snider to be as good as they were last year and make another run at the title.

3.           Merrillville – The Pirates are another team that felt they had a good shot in 2022. They just happened to be the victim of a team hitting on all cylinders at the right time. We might as well get used to the fact that Merrillville will be in the conversation every year, they just seem to reload.

4.           North Side – The Legend’s coach feels that his team is stronger and faster than a year before. If that’s the case, they’ll be a dangerous team to face for any team at any level.  It doesn’t hurt to have, arguably, the best player in the state of Indiana and half their starters back from a team last year that was one play away from taking out Snider in the sectionals and a touchdown behind a very good Carroll team.

5.           Decatur Central – It’s been said by the Indy fan base that this growing community will produce solid football teams for years to come. It appears they lose too much from a year ago for me to have them any higher than the 5 spot.

I have a hard time creating a complete list not knowing much about what the south has to offer this year. I just know that the north is stacked at the top. Would love to see some opinions from all parts of the state.

Honorable Mention:

Dwenger – It’s hard to leave a program like this out the conversation. They have a coach going into his fifth season. His first two years were very successful with an enormous amount of talent at his disposal. The past two seasons have been average at best. I’m betting on an uptick this season. Dwenger is a machine that rebuilds from within. Off years are an anomaly for the Saints. Up next: Brownsburg…….good luck, God strength, and God speed.

Don’t bet on Dwenger in 5A.  If they move to 4A, which is being discussed, then they’ll have a chance  at a nice playoff run.  The current staff at BD is good, but they don’t seem to have the out them away instinct a staff needs to be ok with having to dominate. 

On 7/14/2023 at 12:22 PM, roaringthunderdlr said:

I would agree with this.  Plainfield played some nice heads-up ball as the season progressed.  They play best when they keep things tight to the end.  If they keep it tight, they seem to be able to wait teams out to make a mistake at the end and then capitalize on it.  Kind of like boxers taking it to the scorecards and winning it in the last two rounds.

On 7/15/2023 at 12:14 PM, OldschoolFB said:

Don’t bet on Dwenger in 5A.  If they move to 4A, which is being discussed, then they’ll have a chance  at a nice playoff run.  The current staff at BD is good, but they don’t seem to have the out them away instinct a staff needs to be ok with having to dominate. 

I was surprised when I heard that they may be moved back to 4A. But heard that last year too. Will see how it turns out.

I know the first two games will not be fun to watch. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mebuck said:

I was surprised when I heard that they may be moved back to 4A. But heard that last year too. Will see how it turns out.

Not trying to pile on here, but Dwenger is on the down slide. 5A is too much for them with the talent level  where it is now and the next few years  even if they drop back to 4A could be tough as well

10 hours ago, Komets2727 said:

Not trying to pile on here, but Dwenger is on the down slide. 5A is too much for them with the talent level  where it is now and the next few years  even if they drop back to 4A could be tough as well

I don't think Dwenger fans are wanting another sub par season. Anything less than 6-3 and I think Jason Garrett will be on the hot seat, if he's not already. Right now the perception is that his success in his first two years was a result of the condition of the program and the athletes he was gifted with. No ill will here, just looking at from a fans perspective. Good luck to him. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, BTF said:

I don't think Dwenger fans are wanting another sub par season. Anything less than 6-3 and I think Jason Garrett will be on the hot seat, if he's not already. Right now the perception is that his success in his first two years was a result of the condition of the program and the athletes he was gifted with. No ill will here, just looking at from a fans perspective. Good luck to him. 

Not sure how they get to 6-3 with an opening stretch of Brownsburg, Big Moe, North, Carroll and Homestead. They could legitimately start the season 0-5. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mebuck said:

Anyone know when the decision will be made on the 5a/4a classification?

1 hour ago, Boilernation said:

Not sure how they get to 6-3 with an opening stretch of Brownsburg, Big Moe, North, Carroll and Homestead. They could legitimately start the season 0-5. 

Upon further review (my brain was going back to the old SAC days)

It's looking like 5-4 would be a pretty good season for the Saints. First five games are utterly brutal. Brownsburg and Moeller are a long shot. A 2-2 record vs Snider, North, Carroll, and Homestead would be considered a success. We'll see how it goes. Dwenger's still Dwenger, but their doesn't seem to be much optimism from the fans on this forum. But when it comes to the Saints, never say never. 

5 hours ago, BTF said:

3-6 is the best case scenario for Dwenger this year as their schedule is brutal. Again, not a slam on them at all, but they are double digit underdogs in each of their first 5 games

4 hours ago, BTF said:

Upon further review (my brain was going back to the old SAC days)

It's looking like 5-4 would be a pretty good season for the Saints. First five games are utterly brutal. Brownsburg and Moeller are a long shot. A 2-2 record vs Snider, North, Carroll, and Homestead would be considered a success. We'll see how it goes. Dwenger's still Dwenger, but their doesn't seem to be much optimism from the fans on this forum. But when it comes to the Saints, never say never. 

Is it safe to say Dwenger is starting to feel the effects of Carroll in SAC and a contender in 6A? Pure speculation on my part as Carroll is the northside "suburban" school and Dwenger is also on the northside. Unless Dwenger has never really pulled in kids from Carroll's district.

Edited by Boilernation

7 minutes ago, Indiana Fan said:

I would argue that 4A is more difficult than 5A. At least from the south. 

The north is pretty solid with Valpo, Snider, North Side, and Merrillville. It's a meat grinder. Mishawaka is no slouch. 

11 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Is it safe to say Dwenger is starting to feel the effects of Carroll in SAC and a contender in 6A? Pure speculation on my part as Carroll is the northside "suburban" school and Dwenger is also on the northside. Unless Dwenger has never really pulled in kids from Carroll's district.

Carroll is a pretty good school with great football facilities. We'd be naive to think that Carroll's recent surge, coupled with a new stadium that would rival any in the state, isn't pulling at least a few players who would have normally gone to Dwenger. That being said, the affect is probably minimal. Dwenger is a pretty strong family and will find their way back to the top sooner than later.............that is if Garrett is the right man for the job. I doubt Dwenger will accept mediocrity for very long. 

1 hour ago, Komets2727 said:

3-6 is the best case scenario for Dwenger this year as their schedule is brutal. Again, not a slam on them at all, but they are double digit underdogs in each of their first 5 games

Honest, there wouldn't be much shame going 3-6 this year for the Saints. They could still be considered good with that record. Are you sure they are double digit underdogs against Homestead? They beat the Spartans last year and both teams return about the same number of starters. They also led North Side until the very end before losing 32-27. Are we jumping the gun on Dwenger's demise?

2 hours ago, BTF said:

Honest, there wouldn't be much shame going 3-6 this year for the Saints. They could still be considered good with that record. Are you sure they are double digit underdogs against Homestead? They beat the Spartans last year and both teams return about the same number of starters. They also led North Side until the very end before losing 32-27. Are we jumping the gun on Dwenger's demise?

The only sure wins for Dwenger if memory serves me correctly are Concordia and Northrop, Luers isn’t a sure win for them, I think Homestead will be better, North Side is better than last year I think, Snider and Carroll are better than them, and Dwenger isn’t winning their first 2 games

2 hours ago, BTF said:

The only sure wins for Dwenger if memory serves me correctly are Concordia and Northrop, Luers isn’t a sure win for them, I think Homestead will be better, North Side is better than last year I think, Snider and Carroll are better than them, and Dwenger isn’t winning their first 2 games

Looking at Snider’s schedule, Warren Central and Carroll are possible losses, East Noble, Concordia, South Side, Wayne, and Northrop should be wins, and Homestead and Dwenger are probable wins. I see best case scenario of 8-1 and worst case as 5-4.

If/when Snider vs. North Side happens in the sectional, it will be another war

Edited by Komets2727

On 7/16/2023 at 9:54 PM, Mebuck said:

I think you may be right.  I wish that wasn’t the case.  Personally, I would have scheduled 1 area (East Noble or that conference)team or maybe a Mishawaka:South Bend team.  And the. Maybe a Region or Indy(New Pal type) of team as the extra two. 

Why BD scheduled two games that will show them nothing other than how manage a roster after injuries is beyond me. 

• Thanks 1