Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Ben Davis vs. Cathedral at UIndy

19 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

The Giants have an excellent QB as well.

Offensively Ben Davis is averaging 42 PPG Cathedral 36.36

Defensively Ben Davis is allowing 16.82 PPG and Cathedral 17.27

Little bit of a misleading stat...given strength of schedule plays very much into those numbers.  What does stand out to me if BD's performances against Moeller, Carmel and Larry North.  BD dropping 62 on a pretty darn good Larry North team really raised my eyebrows.  No question BD has an excellent QB and excellent team.  But they are very fortunate to be heading into the regional, as I still believe they got some help from Brownsburg.  (another excellent team)

If I had to put money on this game, I would put it on BD...I think most would.  But, never count out the Irish...and it will come down to the team that makes the least mistakes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AllGutsNoGlory said:

I beg to differ outside of the QB from Cathedral BD has the advantages at all levels on offense and on defense. People fail to realize how tough the BD defense is, and good luck stopping the offense. BD's only opposition will be themselves Friday night, if they can limit mistakes they run away with the game.    

Cathedral has at least 5 D1 FBS recruits.  They are more talented than you think.  BD barely beat LC and Warren.  Altough they are good, they are far from perfect.

Just now, SIR IRISH said:

Cathedral has at least 5 D1 FBS recruits.  They are more talented than you think.  BD barely beat LC and Warren.  Altough they are good, they are far from perfect.

As in recruits, I mean those that have FBS offers.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SIR IRISH said:

I can say the same for the Giants, and they will have the best overall player on the field in Zackery and I don’t think there is no debating that ask Brownsburg what happens if you try him enough. As far as the close games the LC game at least 5 starters were out and QB was lost to injury in the second quarter and they still won. WC is the biggest rivalry in the state it will always be a great game. I’m taking nothing away from the Irish but this years team is not as concerning as the team from last year in my opinion. 

4 hours ago, AllGutsNoGlory said:

I beg to differ outside of the QB from Cathedral BD has the advantages at all levels on offense and on defense. People fail to realize how tough the BD defense is, and good luck stopping the offense. BD's only opposition will be themselves Friday night, if they can limit mistakes they run away with the game.    

Didn't someone recently write a three-quarter guide on how to stop Ben Davis' offense.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, SIR IRISH said:

”Doing more with less.”

4 hours ago, Rodney said:

three-quarter

2 hours ago, AllGutsNoGlory said:

How did that work out? 

I aint the coach I don't know why they decided they wanted to move on with basketball season in the fourth, but their three-quarter gameplan seemed to work just fine. image.png.1367a9105d198a50a8e95ddeb210f1a8.png

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

Little bit of a misleading stat...given strength of schedule plays very much into those numbers.  What does stand out to me if BD's performances against Moeller, Carmel and Larry North.  BD dropping 62 on a pretty darn good Larry North team really raised my eyebrows.  No question BD has an excellent QB and excellent team.  But they are very fortunate to be heading into the regional, as I still believe they got some help from Brownsburg.  (another excellent team)

If I had to put money on this game, I would put it on BD...I think most would.  But, never count out the Irish...and it will come down to the team that makes the least mistakes.

They both are relatively close in SOS. Sagarin (without out of state opponents) has Ben Davis at 79.87 (16th) and Cathedral 81.45 (15th). Calpreps (including out of state opponents higher the number better the SOS) has Ben Davis at 40.4 (opponents 55-60) and Cathedral 34.8 (Opponents 67-50) pretty close to a wash.

BD dropping 62 on LN was definitely eyebrow raising. The Wildcats threw 5 Int's and had a fumble in that game something that was detrimental to them, you can't give BD that many possessions or a short field.

Sometimes it takes that kind of game get a little bit of luck on your side, can even give a wake up call.

I am sure most would and I believe most are picking the Giants in this one, rightfully so Ben Davis has been a terrific team this year. The Irish haven't been exactly stellar against Ben Davis the last couple of meetings between the two. The Irish will need a great defensive effort like last week maybe even better, and will need their Offense to play better than last week to have a shot. I am not sure what to expect, but I know both teams will play very hard regardless.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FastpacedO said:

BD dropping 62 on LN was definitely eyebrow raising. The Wildcats threw 5 Int's and had a fumble in that game something that was detrimental to them, you can't give BD that many possessions or a short field.

That was a very surprising game. I think everything snowballed on LN quickly. Never expected the Giants to be up 55-14 at the half.

13 hours ago, Rodney said:

Didn't someone recently write a three-quarter guide on how to stop Ben Davis' offense.

Ben Davis stopped themselves a lot in that game with drops. Finally, Gotkowski and MZ IV just put the game on their backs and legs and took over where they could. Nylan Brown, Drew Evans and the D stopped Sherrell a lot except for the big plays.

Edited by BDGiant93

11 hours ago, Rodney said:

I aint the coach I don't know why they decided they wanted to move on with basketball season in the fourth, but their three-quarter gameplan seemed to work just fine. image.png.1367a9105d198a50a8e95ddeb210f1a8.png

Genius is almost always unrecognized in its own time.

Edited by Lysander
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, SIR IRISH said:

BD barely beat LC and Warren. 

Warren/Ben Davis is always going to be close. That's a rivalry game. BD came off the loss to IMG that week and didn't get fully reengaged per Coach Mann. He said they really learned from that situation.

I can't fully explain why the Giants had trouble with the Bears. It was their senior night, and LC seems to know how to play the Giants (up 28-0 in 2022 before losing 29-28). The Giants did not have Nylan Brown that night and were missing a couple of receivers. Gotkowski got hurt as well during the game, but the Giants, for some reason, could get into the red zone but couldn't make 3's turn into 7's. It was a weird game.

Like they have most of the year, BD performed well in the clutch though and LC scored a TD right before the end of the game to make it 26-23. Outside of the IMG game (where they also had opportunities against a really good opponent), that was probably the worst performance of the year.

Edited by BDGiant93

Everyone who attended this game got their money's worth!  It was a classic!  The BD kicker won in with a 40 yarder with 2:38 left.  

It's hard to win when you turn the ball over 4 times against a very good Giant team!  Good luck to the Giants next week against Center Grove here on the west side.

It was a joy to watch Danny O'Neil for three years.  He may not of had his best game tonight, but he went down slinging!  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

Everyone who attended this game got their money's worth!  It was a classic!  The BD kicker won in with a 40 yarder with 2:38 left.  

It's hard to win when you turn the ball over 4 times against a very good Giant team!  Good luck to the Giants next week against Center Grove here on the west side.

It was a joy to watch Danny O'Neil for three years.  He may not of had his best game tonight, but he went down slinging!  

O'Neil was tough as nails last night. His first Interception (pick 6) was the fault of the WR not his. He would have been much more effective had he not sustained the knee injury in the 3rd qtr. He was still effective but he couldn't escape some of the pressure late in the game at times as his knee got worse. I commend him for gutting it out and still making plays.

The Irish defense I thought played outstanding giving up only 20 points to a Ben Davis team averaging 42 points per game. It should have been only 13 points given up as right before the half Ben Davis got a TD pass after being gifted a first down from the officials when the Irish stopped Ben Davis on 4th and short that wasn't even close. Officiating struggled with spotting the ball the entire game. The Irish still made several big time 4th down stops.

I still can't get out of my head THE AMAZING CATCH Slaughter #8 for Cathedral made at the 1 yard line!! Anyone who didn't watch that game needs to go back and watch it just for that 1 catch, it was truly amazing. He jumped in the air with the defender there catches it then pins it to the defenders helmet/shoulder pads on the way down all the way to the ground maintaining possession. Definitely a highlight reel.

Ben Davis' kicker got redemption kicking that 40 yarder after missing his first FG of the game. The one player that aside from the kicker that played lights out was the BD running Back Price. He fought hard even though the Irish were keeping him at bay most of the game. His TD run was huge and he had a big time short pass he turned into major yards.

Both teams definitely left it all out on the field in all 3 aspects of the game. Ben Davis escaped healthier from this game than Cathedral would have with O'Neil banged up. The Center Grove at Ben Davis game will be another good one

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

I still can't get out of my head THE AMAZING CATCH Slaughter #8 for Cathedral made at the 1 yard line!! Anyone who didn't watch that game needs to go back and watch it just for that 1 catch, it was truly amazing. He jumped in the air with the defender there catches it then pins it to the defenders helmet/shoulder pads on the way down all the way to the ground maintaining possession. Definitely a highlight reel.

The photo doesn't quite do it justice as it was prior to the catch.

image.thumb.png.398bae36cf71e83dfd1d0418045fcc8e.png

43 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

O'Neil was tough as nails last night. His first Interception (pick 6) was the fault of the WR not his. He would have been much more effective had he not sustained the knee injury in the 3rd qtr. He was still effective but he couldn't escape some of the pressure late in the game at times as his knee got worse. I commend him for gutting it out and still making plays.

The Irish defense I thought played outstanding giving up only 20 points to a Ben Davis team averaging 42 points per game. It should have been only 13 points given up as right before the half Ben Davis got a TD pass after being gifted a first down from the officials when the Irish stopped Ben Davis on 4th and short that wasn't even close. Officiating struggled with spotting the ball the entire game. The Irish still made several big time 4th down stops.

Ben Davis' kicker got redemption kicking that 40 yarder after missing his first FG of the game. The one player that aside from the kicker that played lights out was the BD running Back Price. He fought hard even though the Irish were keeping him at bay most of the game. His TD run was huge and he had a big time short pass he turned into major yards.

Both teams definitely left it all out on the field in all 3 aspects of the game. Ben Davis escaped healthier from this game than Cathedral would have with O'Neil banged up. The Center Grove at Ben Davis game will be another good one

The BD DB (whose name is currently escaping me) who had the game clinching INT was all over the place and had his name called all night it seemed…also had a couple of nice punt returns.

7 minutes ago, temptation said:

The BD DB (whose name is currently escaping me) who had the game clinching INT was all over the place and had his name called all night it seemed…also had a couple of nice punt returns.

Contreras was the name and he did have a couple of nice punt returns. Weird game on the kicking side with onside and pop up kicks, fake punts, big punt returns. While Zachary's name gets mentioned a lot Contreras is a stud at his safety position.

• Like 1