Sign in to follow this  
Muda69

Last Chance U

Anybody else watching this documentary series on Netflix?   While the story is compelling and the production values are good, one thing turns me off.   The outright vulgar and foul language by the majority of the EMCC coaching staff is IMHO despicable.  Shouldn't these men be held to a higher standard, especially the head coach who seems to have the foulest mouth of the lot?

• Upvote 1

I've only watched the first episode so far, hoping to binge watch the rest this weekend, but I didn't think it was the worst thing ever in the episode I watched. I would agree it could be better, but it seems like these players need some so called "tough love" and it seems that they react more when this type of language is used and take the coach more seriously. I would agree there are probably betters way to go about the process of changing the attitudes, but they definitely need a strong presence as a coach who will not let them get away with the behavior they have shown in the past and it seems to be working for them for now.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FishDuck said:

I've only watched the first episode so far, hoping to binge watch the rest this weekend, but I didn't think it was the worst thing ever in the episode I watched.

Just wait, it gets worse.

For example under what conditions is it acceptable for a head coach to physically push one of his players then call him a 'p*ssy'?  Under what conditions is it acceptable for a head coach to physically strike a referee?  Under what conditions is it acceptable for a head coach to challenge an opposing coach to a fist fight?

I'm really starting to wonder if any of what was shown was staged..............

37 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

For example under what conditions is it acceptable for a head coach to physically push one of his players then call him a 'p*ssy'?  Under what conditions is it acceptable for a head coach to physically strike a referee?  Under what conditions is it acceptable for a head coach to challenge an opposing coach to a fist fight?

Yeah I would agree that no conditions exist where that is acceptable, I would say you are correct that most of the show is staged

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, Muda69 said:

1. I haven't watched the program

2. I agree with Muda inappropriate behavior- Wow, thank you for your support!

3. The player will be okay

4. Old school football coaching- name calling (the P word used a lot), grab by facemask and pull to proper alignment and pushed into locker to get attention

I watched the entire season.  The head coach is terrible. He punched a ref!!!  He was up 48-0 with 30 seconds left before halftime.  He called a timeout and wanted to score to run the score up. But it cost him the season because both teams ended up in an all out brawl. They were suspended the rest of the season and canceled their postseason. The players have skill but have no respect for authority. 

• Upvote 1

I watched it all.  Out of control comes to mind.  Very talented comes to mind as well.   Entertaining for sure. 

On 8/21/2016 at 8:06 PM, navy80 said:

He called a timeout and wanted to score to run the score up. 

I thought the run-up-the-score mentality was also partially attributed to how this junior college league/association determined it's rankings, using point differential as a key factor.   Still doesn't excuse the decisions of the head coach, IMHO.

56 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

I thought the run-up-the-score mentality was also partially attributed to how this junior college league/association determined it's rankings, using point differential as a key factor.   Still doesn't excuse the decisions of the head coach, IMHO.

Yeah that's a good point....I guess he could have waited until the second half to run the score up. 

I I hear it's back for a second season with more players who were kicked off other teams. Such as the Florida state qb who punched a girl at the bar. 

49 minutes ago, navy80 said:

I I hear it's back for a second season with more players who were kicked off other teams. Such as the Florida state qb who punched a girl at the bar. 

Can't wait to see the drama.

Just watched it all this weekend. Amazing documentary. Very interesting how the players reacted to the head coach calling them "thugs" after their bench-clearing brawl. The other coaches seemed to be fine with the the boys protecting their teammate. You could tell that head coach lost all respect from his players after that.

It was funny how white QB didn't want to play for D-II school. He was D1 or bust and he seemed just fine heading to Miss State as another average joe. I thought that kid could would have received some big school looks.

I thought it was a good show, binge watched it the other day.  I don't blame the coach for running up the score when he already had a team screwed in the past because they didn't win big enough.  I think the EMCC coach took way too much of the heat and the other coach whose team started the brawl got exactly what he wanted.  I like the stories on the guys who are there trying to make it to a big school (Ollie, etc).  All in all I thought it was a good documentary.  I liked the off the field stuff as much as the football stuff, their academic adviser played a good role and was pretty easy on the eyes as well.

On August 3, 2016 at 9:26 AM, Muda69 said:

The other question should be under what circumstances is it acceptable for an official to shove, throw a clipboard at a coach, or takes a swing at a head coach.

12 hours ago, FastpacedO said:

The other question should be under what circumstances is it acceptable for an official to shove, throw a clipboard at a coach, or takes a swing at a head coach.

Why is that even a question?

2 hours ago, bobref said:

Why is that even a question?

It was a good question considering it was asked "under what circumstances is it acceptable for a Head Coach to physically strike an official". Watching episode 4 an official physically shoved the Head Coach during an argument, then the Head Coach rushed to the Official and shoved him back, then the Official threw a clipboard at the Head Coach, and as the Head Coach was going towards the official the official took a swing at the Head Coach and the Head Coach took a swing back. The question seemed to place it all on the Head Coach when the Official was in the wrong also (which was why the official was ejected). I would post the video but it has a lot of vulger language.

Both of them looked like fools.

Edited by FastpacedO
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

It was a good question considering it was asked "under what circumstances is it acceptable for a Head Coach to physically strike an official". Watching episode 4 an official physically shoved the Head Coach during an argument, then the Head Coach rushed to the Official and shoved him back, then the Official threw a clipboard at the Head Coach, and as the Head Coach was going towards the official the official took a swing at the Head Coach and the Head Coach took a swing back. The question seemed to place it all on the Head Coach when the Official was in the wrong also (which was why the official was ejected). I would post the video but it has a lot of vulger language.

Both of them looked like fools.

The only excuse for an official to ever be involved physically with a coach is self defense, or defense of another. And vice versa, as well.

38 minutes ago, bobref said:

The only excuse for an official to ever be involved physically with a coach is self defense, or defense of another. And vice versa, as well.

I agree with you 100%, it just seemed to me the Head Coach was taking the flack. There is no doubt the HC has a temper and was using foul language toward the official, but the HC didn't get physical with the Official until the Official got physical with him.

Have you watched the show yet Bobref. I'll send you a link in PM I don't want to post it here due to foul language.

• Upvote 1

I binged watched the 2nd Season last weekend.... Some of the stories are compelling...

Does anyone else sit and scratch their head in amazement that the kids just don't get it?  They don't want to do the classroom stuff to keep themselves eligible... It's like Ms. Wagner is a baby sitter to ensure these kids stay eligible and though the DL Coach was involved a bit this season, no other Coach seemed to care about the academics.....

Buddy Stephens is an interesting character... You can tell in Season 2 he didn't like the way he was displayed... The language is part of it and I am guessing if you go to any other D1 program/practice you will hear something very similar... These aren't high school kids...

Edited by 1st_and_10

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 6:37 AM, bobref said:

I've recently started watching it and I'm through episode 5 of season 2. The incident in the previous season with the official was horrible. The coach initiated it by using profanity with the alternate official on the side ("Shut the f up"). The official escalated by replying with "no, you shut the f up." That was totally out of line. While the coach probably deserved a flag for the comment, the official is the one who escalated the situation and threw the first punch. I could not believe what I saw. The official was also removed from the game, and I hope he never sees the field again. There are some things that don't warrant a second chance.

7 hours ago, Coach Ellenwood said:

The academic adviser is no longer there. She took a job in Michigan. 

From what the Dude understands, she's self employed and Madison County hired her services.  The Dude could be wrong though.

Here's an article about her season 2 fallout.
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/07/last-chance-u-season-2-brittany-wagner-10-thousand-pencils-buddy-stephens

Speaks volumes about what she said about Buddy Stephens.

What ticked the Dude off the most regarding Buddy Stephens was the situation with Isaiah Wright and his fiance.  Seemed like the kid was screaming for help and Stephens and his coaching staff seemed oblivious to it.  In fact they seemed to have made it worse for the kid.  During the interviews the kid was always saying his coach never asked him 'why' things are the way they are.  The Dude could be wrong though.  Editing could have played a big role in it was well.   

• Upvote 1

Watched the first two episodes of season #2 last night.    Coach Stephens so far has kept his voluminous profanity in check, although he slipped in the tail end of the first game where they were playing short-handed. 

And at least one of the players highlighted on this season appears to have a significant case of ADD/ADHD.  

Well I finished season #2 last night.     Buddy Stephens really hasn't changed, and his paranoia-fueled tirade toward his OC on the sideline of the bowl game just proves that.   Good to see the OC, DC,  QB Coach and academic adviser move on to hopefully better opportunities.  As of course the players.

Also looks like season #3 moves away from EMCC to a junior college in Kansas:  http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/news/10-things-about-icc-before-last-chance-u-season-3/6nu7yru7zi51tra0vvyej3l9

5 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Well I finished season #2 last night.     Buddy Stephens really hasn't changed, and his paranoia-fueled tirade toward his OC on the sideline of the bowl game just proves that.   Good to see the OC, DC,  QB Coach and academic adviser move on to hopefully better opportunities.  As of course the players.

Also looks like season #3 moves away from EMCC to a junior college in Kansas:  http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/news/10-things-about-icc-before-last-chance-u-season-3/6nu7yru7zi51tra0vvyej3l9

He also went off on his assistant signaling in plays (game 1 I believe when all the playes were suspended).

I did read the OC moved into admin at EMCC.