Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Merrillville @ FW Snider 5A North Semi-State

4 hours ago, psaboy said:

One concern I have is Snider's secondary now after Mishawaka passed for over 300 yards.

Many of those yards came on big chunk plays, as a result of Snider DBs peeking into the backfield and Mishawaka throwing over the top on play action.

Snider packed 9 in the box against Mishawaka daring them to throw the ball and they hurt Snider passing the ball. Snider obviously made the decision that they weren’t going to let Mishawaka run the ball at will and kill the clock. It worked as Snider controlled time of possession and drove the ball between the 20’s, they just didn’t finish in the red zone. Snider’s pass defense was actually pretty good this year.

As for the Merrillville D-1’ers, lots of team speed, not a great passing QB, and no beast running back bodes well for the Panthers. Defensively, Merrillville has good linemen, decent linebackers, and fast but leaky secondary. I think the magic number for Snider is 21 points, anything more than that and they win, less than that and it’s anyone’s game.

• Like 1

The pirate program has been on the rise n getting out of their regional was the "hump" they needed to get over..they will have the speed n size advantage from looking at their matchup with valpo..besides the mic..has there ever been two different schools from the same conference go back to back state titles in a class.? Crazy..

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

Many of those yards came on big chunk plays, as a result of Snider DBs peeking into the backfield and Mishawaka throwing over the top on play action.

Agreed, Word on the GID is the M-ville QB has a hard time hitting a barn on any loner passes, so hopefully that will work in Snider's favor. 

2 hours ago, Justasportsfan said:

MIC until technically last year had won every 6A title with CG and Carmel no longer members. Not sure if any other class has had this happen.

SIAC almost had 2 state champs in 3A/4A in 2018 with Memorial and Central losing very close games

Edited by RocksFan23

13 hours ago, Justasportsfan said:

The pirate program has been on the rise n getting out of their regional was the "hump" they needed to get over..they will have the speed n size advantage from looking at their matchup with valpo..besides the mic..has there ever been two different schools from the same conference go back to back state titles in a class.? Crazy..

The Duneland won 3 straight 3A Titles in the late 70's with Valpo, Merillville and Portage. Zero chance the parlay pays out again with Portage in 6A. The Pirates have won 4 Regionals in the past 5 seasons. Semi-State is the hump they've been trying to get over. 

19 hours ago, Boilernation said:

Merrillville doesn't have a JoJo Johnson or Justin Marshall this year that can take any carry/reception to the EZ, but they still have speed and lots of it at RB and WR. The Pirate Offense is much more efficient in the run game and short passing game. Their QB has zero downfield accuracy. Logan's eyes will probably pop open when he sees some of the downfield pass attempts against Valpo last week. 

18 hours ago, RegionFBFan said:

Merrillville has a legit shot in this one. Good football team with speed everywhere. Their strength is their defense specifically the front 4. All four are good players.

Merrillville offensively will come down to how well their qb plays. He is a much better runner. As mentioned below, his vertical passing is more of throw and hope style. His receivers made some of those catches to beat a good Valpo defense.

Merrillville can not let this become a high scoring affair. If it’s low scoring, Merrillville has real shot on the road. 

Both of these assessments on the 2023 Merrillville Pirates I would describe as accurate. My only add on (although elementary) would be that they truly are better in person than they are on film. May sound silly but when watching their game film, they didn't impress me much on offense, and defensively other than Stephens and the 4 D-linemen, I wasn't utterly impressed. But after seeing them play a few times in person, the defense is legit and the offensive line is much better than they get credit for. Looking forward to a great game, I'm taking the Pirates, 21-17. 

On 11/13/2023 at 2:27 PM, scarab527 said:

Plot twist: Parkhurst actually hates Merrillville and his goal is to make the entire state also hate them. 

I've often wondered if the act is real or he's a magnificent troll. Fairly certain he now has Merrillville, who won the 5A State Title last week per his proclamation, losing to Snider.

2 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

I've often wondered if the act is real or he's a magnificent troll. Fairly certain he now has Merrillville, who won the 5A State Title last week per his proclamation, losing to Snider.

Ha, you can go onto Regions Sport Forum and check it out. The word on that Forum was that the Valpo and Merrillville game was last week was for the 5A State Title.

There is some good billboard material for Snider, If I say so my self.

8 minutes ago, psaboy said:

Ha, you can go onto Regions Sport Forum and check it out. The word on that Forum was that the Valpo and Merrillville game was last week was for the 5A State Title.

“Word on that forum” 

You mean one deluded fan said it and everyone else immediately crapped on it? Lol 

14 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

It’s hard to tell sometimes. I don’t wanna get into speculation, but I think there could be other things at play too. 

4 minutes ago, scarab527 said:

“Word on that forum” 

You mean one deluded fan said it and everyone else immediately crapped on it? Lol 

It’s hard to tell sometimes. I don’t wanna get into speculation, but I think there could be other things at play too. 

@psaboyIt was only Parkhurst and everyone immediately jumped on it. And in true fashion he's backtracked. Besides, anyone familiar with his posting knows there's ZERO chance he would have picked Valpo to beat Snider had the Vikings won "the 5A Title game" last week. When given the chance that guy always goes oppo against Valpo, Crown Point and Andrean.  @scarab527 Yeah, unfortunately, I've wondered that myself as well. 

23 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

"Merrillville vs Valpo was the real state championship, just like last year."

"Snider doesn't have the strength to beat Merrillville."

3 minutes ago, BTF said:

I missed that. We all know he couldn't name one player on Snider's roster without looking at it. He's a superfan that can provide entertaining forum content. 

2 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

I missed that. We all know he couldn't name one player on Snider's roster without looking at it. He's a superfan that can provide entertaining forum content. 

He's a region guy through and through. No familiarity with Northeast Indiana. 

52 minutes ago, BTF said:

Laughable. Love to compare resumes on Snider and Merrillville and one team is woefully short of the other. Have to say, I don’t believe in bulletin board material, especially when it is some poster sitting in his parents basement, eating his boogers, and living off his parents. If it were a player or coach that makes a statement, then it becomes bulletin board material.

19 minutes ago, Komets2727 said:

Laughable. Love to compare resumes on Snider and Merrillville and one team is woefully short of the other. Have to say, I don’t believe in bulletin board material, especially when it is some poster sitting in his parents basement, eating his boogers, and living off his parents. If it were a player or coach that makes a statement, then it becomes bulletin board material.

I'm probably one of the few who actually likes the guy. His passion for high school football is up there with anyone. And he makes message boards interesting. 

2 hours ago, psaboy said:

Please link me to the region sports forum this seems like a place I need to be