Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Wabash River Conference Pre Season

I’ve been driving down from Winamacs and hitting all the McDonald’s and other food joints looking for info and fire ass hot youth league moms. Not much luck with either so far. I didn’t think a rural farming area would be afraid of some pork, I swear to God I didn’t. Anyways if you know anything about these teams let’s hear it. 
Attica. They finally have over 20 players but half of them are freshmen and sophomores. And they’re little. My Rambler source says look for another goose egg 🥚
Covington. Travis Brown had them fairly competitive but the longer he’s gone the more they’ll drop. At least they have soccer. Fountain Centrals kinda messed up by not hiring him after college. 
Fountain Centrals. Herb showed he can still get the job done last year. Fumbles cost them at least 4 wins. They finally have a JV again and the numbers are climbing after the 2 previous coaches and the AD let the lower level fall apart 

North Vermilions. They still have Crabtrees but not sure what they bring back. I still want to eat pizza with him. The Woofs of Parke Heritage. I think they missed their shot when the Legend was there. I think all the star players moved back home 

Riverton Parkes. Maybe this is the year……again 

Seegers. I have nothing here 

South Vermilions. Borderline 3A playing in a mostly 1A conference. It does absolutely nothing to help them sectional time. 

If there’s any WRC fans left let’s hear from you. 

Hey Donnie—. Welcome back!   I’ll take a shot at this. 

Seeger - Defending conf. champ and lost a very good RB.   I believe they’ll be very good again this year and  possibly repeat at Conf champs 

Covington - new coach again this year with limited talent and a poor JH program to feed it.  You are correct about Coach Brown.  He got it done.  Unfortunately, it won’t be this year for the Trojans 

FC - Herb is herb.   The man can coach and if a play is working, he’s running it 475 times in a game until it’s stopped.  The older Acton will lead this group but will it be from QB or RB.  Do they have the OL to protect him?  

Attica - I don’t know enough about this group to make a call.  

SV - When do the sectionals start?  That’s when I care about SV.   They have to break through soon, right?  The gold and black visors will have talent and battle for the conf championship.   Circle your calendars for the late season game vs Seeger.  

NV - As long as Crabtree is there, they’ll be strong.   They return their QB, who is a threat.   Although their biggest loss may be on the coaching staff.  Coach Blank is/was a talented football coach

RP - All anyone asks about RP is how they replace their all-state RB.  I’ve headed they changed the offense to 4 and 5 wide.  Or maybe not.  Time will tell how they will be with opening week games against 3A Pike Central and @ #6 Carrol (Flora) in week 2. 

PH - Coach Rector might be nicest man alive.  Truly, a great person and a team looking to climb another step back in the post-Moore era.   They return several players from a forgettable season last year.   We won’t know who they are until after their week 1 home game Vs Linton.   Week 2 will tell us a lot about PH in their game against West Vigo. 

• Like 1

Way too early WRC predictions...

Seeger - Do they reload? The Chin kid was a tough back. Who do they replace him with? Their OL/DL is mostly back and pretty good. I think the Patriots will be right back where they finished last year. They're the best until they're not. 

Covington - New head coach. Will they still try to spread people out? Or maybe run the football? Coach Brown is a good dude, but I don't think even his help would help the Trojans. They gave up a lot of big plays last year. Got to be able to tackle in football. 

Fountain Central - They should be better. They should. I've also heard numbers were up. Regardless, Coach King will have them ready to go. Back shoulder fades will be all the rage for the Mustangs in Veedersburg.

Attica - New Coach. Same team. I heard they did some summer competitions, which is an improvement over the previous few seasons. The Good days are gone for the Ramblers, however. 

South Vermillion - Big linemen. Great skill players. QB (and Coach) that likes to fling it. The Wildcats have it all and then some. Until Sectional time. 

North Vermillion - One man band in Cayuga. We'll see if Crabtree can regroup without Coach Blank by his side. (Although I'm sure he'll still be an "advisor") Coaches coach, kids play. Crabtree and the Falcons still have a pretty good QB and some skill players.

Riverton Parke - Speaking of one man bands... The Panthers graduated a lot of offense last year. I mean a lot. (Over 3000 yds and 40+ TDs worth) Can they find replacements, reload and compete every week? At #6 Carroll (Flora) isn't a joke either. They're either crazy, or know something we don't.  I heard they have a lot (50+) of kids out. Sorry Donnie, but I think something big is brewing in Mecca these days. 

Parke Heritage - Are the Woolfs content being little brother in Parke County and the WRC? I've heard the numbers are kinda low for a PH team. I like what they're trying to do. They may win a few more this year and compete better, but is it good enough in Rockville?

• Like 1

It blows my mind how quickly 11 years can pass, when one week of football work, against a worthy opponent, can feel like an eternity, just wishing the seconds away to reach that 7:00 kickoff. 

One of the greatest blessings in my life happened when I ended up in the WRC. This little athletic conference binds our blue collar, hard-scrabble towns together. It’s a beautiful region of the Midwest that is Americana as apple pie. The football that’s played here is tough and physical, brought to you by long family lines, and friendly (at times hateful) rivalries. As it should be. 

I can’t image a more beautiful setting for the Fall than the banks of the Wabash River in West-Central Indiana. Apple Festival, Little Italy, Hill Climb, Covered Bridge. Stroll through any of these and see 4 letter jackets of different WRC schools. What we share is special. You can’t find a better place to raise your kids. 

I have no idea how it will turn out, but I’m very thankful to be a part of another high school football season in the WRC.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Woody_Hayes said:

It blows my mind how quickly 11 years can pass, when one week of football work, against a worthy opponent, can feel like an eternity, just wishing the seconds away to reach that 7:00 kickoff. 

One of the greatest blessings in my life happened when I ended up in the WRC. This little athletic conference binds our blue collar, hard-scrabble towns together. It’s a beautiful region of the Midwest that is Americana as apple pie. The football that’s played here is tough and physical, brought to you by long family lines, and friendly (at times hateful) rivalries. As it should be. 

I can’t image a more beautiful setting for the Fall than the banks of the Wabash River in West-Central Indiana. Apple Festival, Little Italy, Hill Climb, Covered Bridge. Stroll through any of these and see 4 letter jackets of different WRC schools. What we share is special. You can’t find a better place to raise your kids. 

I have no idea how it will turn out, but I’m very thankful to be a part of another high school football season in the WRC.

Welcome back Woody. Let’s break pizza sometime!

There used to be so many WRC schools at the top in 1A football, now it seems so many of them struggle.  I hate to see it as I enjoyed going to FC, Seeger or Attica to watch a game.  What's caused the slump?  Are the feeder programs not turning out the talent that they used to?  Are kids just not wanting to play football?

Let's hope a couple teams break out this year and have a good run.  It's good for 1A football and it's good for these communities.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2023 at 12:27 PM, Ballhawk said:

There used to be so many WRC schools at the top in 1A football, now it seems so many of them struggle.  I hate to see it as I enjoyed going to FC, Seeger or Attica to watch a game.  What's caused the slump?  Are the feeder programs not turning out the talent that they used to?  Are kids just not wanting to play football?

Let's hope a couple teams break out this year and have a good run.  It's good for 1A football and it's good for these communities.

Quick answer for each school 

Attica. The long term result of the anti energy policies from 2008-2016. Heavy industries took a beating and Attica’s largest employer and financial supporter almost folded. Families moved, nobody came in, enrollment dropped. Boys and girls basketball and football have put up multiple winless seasons between them. But they keep fighting. 

Fountain Centrals. Some say it’s because The Legend left but the real damage was caused at the junior high level by 2 coaches that ran players off. I blame the varsity coaches and AD for not getting more involved. Herb is slowly bringing the numbers back up 

Seegers. The Legend left. 

• Like 1