Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Hoosier Heartland Conference

khayward

Enjoyed the HH Conference football thread this year, curious if there is any interest in a basketball one as well....

Wondering how good Caroll and Taylor can be this year(Clinton Prairie as well)? 
Looks like they each lost 3-4 senior starters from last year, will they be able to reload, or will they be down at all from prior year success?

Sheridan had no Seniors last year, so they return all starter's plus 3 quality adds from JV/transfers. They are much taller and more talented and seem to be ready for a jump up the conference standings this year.

Any other teams looking to make a case for a run at a conference title? Would love to hear any predictions or news on interesting transfers/up and comers that will be making a splash around the conference.

Edited by khayward

On 11/28/2023 at 2:15 PM, Daniel_Bragg said:

I'll happily take part in discussions throughout the season. I honestly forgot that there was a basketball side to the GID. 

Early season thoughts?

CP and Jake McGraw are a tough team, my way too early in the season prediction has them taking the Conference title.
Would love to see Sheridan up there at the top of the pack and I think they can, they beat CP in 3 of the 4 quarters and actually took the lead late in the 4th Q. Just could not pull off the come back from the slow start down 15-2 at the end of the 1st Q.

Early results from Taylor and Carroll, they don't seem as dominant as last year but still a lot of basketball to play. Rossville and Tri-Central with good records to start but not sure if the quality of opponents and wins are worth judging them as contenders yet.

23 hours ago, khayward said:

Early season thoughts?

CP and Jake McGraw are a tough team, my way too early in the season prediction has them taking the Conference title.
Would love to see Sheridan up there at the top of the pack and I think they can, they beat CP in 3 of the 4 quarters and actually took the lead late in the 4th Q. Just could not pull off the come back from the slow start down 15-2 at the end of the 1st Q.

Early results from Taylor and Carroll, they don't seem as dominant as last year but still a lot of basketball to play. Rossville and Tri-Central with good records to start but not sure if the quality of opponents and wins are worth judging them as contenders yet.

I think we still have to wait a few more games before I can tell you how good Sheridan is. CP operated as a team from the jump, whereas Sheridan was very shaky, and seemed to have jitters. They obviously figured it out later on. Just unfortunate that their first game was a conference matchup. 

I think CP can win the conference. It should be an exciting season for sure. I'm looking forward to Friday, and seeing how Sheridan plays against Clinton Central. 

• Like 1

On 12/5/2023 at 10:43 AM, Daniel_Bragg said:

I think we still have to wait a few more games before I can tell you how good Sheridan is. CP operated as a team from the jump, whereas Sheridan was very shaky, and seemed to have jitters. They obviously figured it out later on. Just unfortunate that their first game was a conference matchup. 

I think CP can win the conference. It should be an exciting season for sure. I'm looking forward to Friday, and seeing how Sheridan plays against Clinton Central. 

How about a little weekend pick em, just looking for some action on our conf thread, see if we can get some more participation. 2 conference head to heads tonight and a good handful of other games Fri/Sat for Heartland teams.

Friday:
Sheridan 2-1 @ Clinton Central 0-3  -  Can Sheridan pull off the running clock in basketball and football this year. Sheridan wins either way
Eastern 1-3 @ Tri Central 2-1  -  Eastern with a tough schedule to start but I think they can get the conf win going away.
Caston 2-1 @ Carroll 2-1  -  Both had close games with their 1 common opponent, Caston with the edge on that result alone but Carroll with the edge at Home. 
Rossville 3-1 @ Frontier 0-3  -  Rossville will win, running clock alert.
Northwestern 2-2 @ Taylor 3-2  -  Sticking with Taylor but their recent loss to a young WeBo team has me confused.

Saturday:
WeBo 2-2 @ Clinton Prairie 3-0  -  CP with the running clock late in the 2nd half although the recent WeBo win against Taylor was surprising to me. CP just too good.
Rossville 3-1 @ Western 2-2  -  Western has "seen some things"(Kokomo), I am thinking they can pull off a close one at Home.
Tri-Central 2-1 @ Morristown 0-4  -  Tri-Central should win
Clinton Central 0-3 @ Attica 0-2  -  I'm taking the bulldogs to get their first win of the season.

This weekend's games.
Friday:
Carroll @ Rossville - looks to be the best conference match-up of the weekend. I'll take Rossville at home as the 4-point underdogs.
Sheridan @ Eastern - Sheridan looking good, takes the win on the road.
Frontier @ Clinton Prairie - Jake McGraw nightmares in Frontier land this week.
Tri-Central @ Clinton Central - Tri-Central takes this one.
Taylor @ Delphi - Taylor should win.

Saturday:
Sheridan @ Frankfort - Watch out, Frankfort might be the best winless team in the state. Still taking the Blackhawks on the road as 2-point underdogs.
Rossville @ LCC - my gut says LCC on this one.
Eastern @ Cowan - Is Cole Duncan out for the year? If and when Cowan gets him back, they will get a lot better. If not, Eastern with the win.
Tri-Central @ Madison-Grant - Tri-Central wins the hyphen war.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2023 at 10:47 AM, khayward said:

This weekend's games.
Friday:
Carroll @ Rossville - looks to be the best conference match-up of the weekend. I'll take Rossville at home as the 4-point underdogs.
Sheridan @ Eastern - Sheridan looking good, takes the win on the road.
Frontier @ Clinton Prairie - Jake McGraw nightmares in Frontier land this week.
Tri-Central @ Clinton Central - Tri-Central takes this one.
Taylor @ Delphi - Taylor should win.

Saturday:
Sheridan @ Frankfort - Watch out, Frankfort might be the best winless team in the state. Still taking the Blackhawks on the road as 2-point underdogs.
Rossville @ LCC - my gut says LCC on this one.
Eastern @ Cowan - Is Cole Duncan out for the year? If and when Cowan gets him back, they will get a lot better. If not, Eastern with the win.
Tri-Central @ Madison-Grant - Tri-Central wins the hyphen war.

Sorry.  I'm 100% down to do a pick 'em every week.  

On 12/26/2023 at 10:38 PM, Daniel_Bragg said:

Sorry.  I'm 100% down to do a pick 'em every week.  

This weekend's games...

Friday:
Sheridan @ Tri-Central - Watched both play at the Morristown Classic, Tri was not as impressive as anticipated but their big will give Sheridan fits on both ends. Always going to pick Sheridan but not an easy game to win on the road. Sheridan +4(Sagarin), winnable if they make their 3's and play man to man D and not the 3-2 zone that has not worked yet.
Rossville @ Taylor - Taylor at home should be a good pick. Rossville could give them a game.
Delphi @ Carroll - Easy win at home
Clinton Central @ Eastern - Easy win at home

Saturday:
Clinton Prairie @ Northwestern - Clinton Prairie currently on a slide, can they bounce back on the road... I will take them, but they are a +5 underdog on the road.
Rossville @ Sheridan - Sheridan finally returns home after a 7-game, month long, stretch on the road.
Oak Hill @ Eastern - Eastern on a roll but Oak Hill with a much harder schedule, despite their records Oak Hill is the Sagarin favorite on the road -2.
Tri-Central @ Wes-Del - Tri favored on the road but Wes-Del could give them a closer game than they expect.
Caston @ Delphi - Both struggling, giving the edge to another road team.

Friday:
Sheridan @ Tri-Central - I'm gonna go with Sheridan as well.  Honestly, the two games against Eastern and Clinton Prairie could have gone very differently.  Sheridan just needs to avoid the "Live by the 3" game that they fall into sometimes.
Rossville @ Taylor - Taylor.  Rossville has been stout in the past, but I think Taylor gets it this year.
Delphi @ Carroll - Carroll going away
Clinton Central @ Eastern - Eastern going away

Saturday:
Clinton Prairie @ Northwestern - I think it's close, but Northwestern pulls it out at home.
Rossville @ Sheridan - Sheridan gets the W.
Oak Hill @ Eastern - Oak Hill. They have been tested much more.  Still want to see more out of Eastern.
Tri-Central @ Wes-Del - Tri-Central gets the bounce-back win after losing on Friday. 😉
Caston @ Delphi - Caston gets the win.  Delphi only beats teams with 2 or fewer losses this season.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2024 at 7:11 PM, Daniel_Bragg said:

Friday:
Sheridan @ Tri-Central - I'm gonna go with Sheridan as well.  Honestly, the two games against Eastern and Clinton Prairie could have gone very differently.  Sheridan just needs to avoid the "Live by the 3" game that they fall into sometimes.
Rossville @ Taylor - Taylor.  Rossville has been stout in the past, but I think Taylor gets it this year.
Delphi @ Carroll - Carroll going away
Clinton Central @ Eastern - Eastern going away

Great call tonight at the game, enjoyed watching from home, totally agree about forcing all the 3's, much more success when we are driving and moving the ball around more, wish we would even try more 10-12 footers. A couple of the guys would benefit greatly from taking 10-12 footers instead of 3's. Great road Conference win, we will take it!

Taylor and Eastern win big as expected, Carroll with the surprising 3-point win as 20-point favorites at home, wonder what happened there, they beat CP recently, so I know they are a good team.

19 minutes ago, khayward said:

Great call tonight at the game, enjoyed watching from home, totally agree about forcing all the 3's, much more success when we are driving and moving the ball around more, wish we would even try more 10-12 footers. A couple of the guys would benefit greatly from taking 10-12 footers instead of 3's. Great road Conference win, we will take it!

Taylor and Eastern win big as expected, Carroll with the surprising 3-point win as 20-point favorites at home, wonder what happened there, they beat CP recently, so I know they are a good team.

Tonight, especially in the 2nd half, we saw a Sheridan team that was playing together and working as a team.  When they do it, they are a thing of beauty.  This team really should have a better record.  They found a way to lose to Eastern last month, and honestly, the Frankfort game should have been much different as well.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2024 at 11:04 PM, Daniel_Bragg said:

Tonight, especially in the 2nd half, we saw a Sheridan team that was playing together and working as a team.  When they do it, they are a thing of beauty.  This team really should have a better record.  They found a way to lose to Eastern last month, and honestly, the Frankfort game should have been much different as well.

And they did it again Sat night against Rossville! Played well as a team, if they make even half of their free-throws I think the game is put away a lot sooner in the 2nd half. Both teams were on fire making everything and the high final score shows it...

Eastern, Delphi and CP with somewhat surprising wins, I think our conference overall is pretty darn good. See below, 10th best conference in the state in non-conference games. 

NON-CONFERENCE RECORDS
Each league's record against out-of-league competition
  W L Pct.
Hoosier Crossroads 60 17 .779
Duneland 58 26 .690
Hoosier Heritage 49 22 .690
Northern Lakes 48 22 .686
Circle City 32 16 .667
Hoosier 46 24 .657
North Central 54 31 .635
Metropolitan 33 20 .623
Great Lakes 26 17 .605
Hoosier Heartland 41 29 .586

I think the Hoosier Heartland is one of the more competitive conferences this year.  A LOT of fun games.  It looks like Taylor and Clinton Prairie could be the leaders though.  Either way, the majority of the conference looks to be separated by just a few points on any given Friday/Saturday.

This weekend's slate of games, some great match ups, should produce some close games, all important conference games Fri and all non-Conf games Sat.

Friday, Jan. 12
Clinton Central at Taylor © , 7:30 pm - Taylor gets the win at home
Clinton Prairie at Carroll © , 7:30 pm - Rematch from a holiday tournament game these 2 already played, Carroll has been up and down with the results so not sure what team will show up, I have CP on the road avenging their earlier loss. 
Eastern at Delphi © , 7:30 pm - Delphi at home, just played Carroll in a close game, I am going with the home team upset.
Tri-Central at Rossville © , 7:30 pm - If Rossville keeps shooting well and can control the Tri big man, they can win at home as well.

Saturday, Jan. 13
Anderson Prep at Tri-Central, 6 pm - Tri should win
Carroll at Pioneer, 7:30 pm - Carroll should win
Clinton Central at Alexandria, 7:30 pm - Alexandria should win
Delphi at North Newton, 2:30 pm - close one, I'll take the HHC team on the road
North Montgomery at Sheridan, 7:30 pm - Sheridan starting to figure things out, let's keep that ball rolling!
Rossville at Frankfort, 7:30 pm - Both better than their records, 3A Frankfort too much 
Western at Taylor, 7:30 pm - Another close one, I think Western is way better than their record, can Taylor hang with a 3A at home?

19 minutes ago, khayward said:

This weekend's slate of games, some great match ups, should produce some close games, all important conference games Fri and all non-Conf games Sat.

Rossville at Frankfort, 7:30 pm - Both better than their records, 3A Frankfort too much 

Rossville will be 'Indiana' and Frankfort the 'Western University Dolphins' for this year's county rivalry game:  https://fox59.com/indiana-news/its-been-30-years-since-blue-chips-was-filmed-in-frankfort/

This weekend’s regularly scheduled game between the Frankfort Hot Dogs and Rossville Hornets has been turned into a special throwback game, complete with Western University Dolphins jerseys for the Hot Dogs varsity team, Team Indiana jerseys for the Hornets, memorabilia, special guests and even Blue Chips Ice Cream is coming back.

Edited by Muda69
  • Like 1

On 1/11/2024 at 8:56 AM, khayward said:

Friday, Jan. 12
Clinton Central at Taylor © , 7:30 pm - Taylor gets the win at home
Clinton Prairie at Carroll © , 7:30 pm - Rematch from a holiday tournament game these 2 already played, Carroll has been up and down with the results so not sure what team will show up, I have CP on the road avenging their earlier loss. 
Eastern at Delphi © , 7:30 pm - Delphi at home, just played Carroll in a close game, I am going with the home team upset.
Tri-Central at Rossville © , 7:30 pm - If Rossville keeps shooting well and can control the Tri big man, they can win at home as well.

Saturday, Jan. 13
Anderson Prep at Tri-Central, 6 pm - Tri should win
Carroll at Pioneer, 7:30 pm - Carroll should win
Clinton Central at Alexandria, 7:30 pm - Alexandria should win
Delphi at North Newton, 2:30 pm - close one, I'll take the HHC team on the road
North Montgomery at Sheridan, 7:30 pm - Sheridan starting to figure things out, let's keep that ball rolling!
Western at Taylor, 7:30 pm - Another close one, I think Western is way better than their record, can Taylor hang with a 3A at home?

I didn't miss a pick this last weekend! Things are really starting to get exciting.

On 1/8/2024 at 3:22 PM, Daniel_Bragg said:

I think the Hoosier Heartland is one of the more competitive conferences this year.  A LOT of fun games.  It looks like Taylor and Clinton Prairie could be the leaders though.  Either way, the majority of the conference looks to be separated by just a few points on any given Friday/Saturday.

Excited for another double header Friday night in Sheridan.

This weekend's HHC slate:

Friday, Jan. 19

Carroll at Tri-Central © , 7:30 pm - Carroll should be able to handle Tri on the road.

Clinton Prairie at Eastern © , 7:30 pm - CP just too much for Eastern

Rossville at Clinton Central © , 7:30 pm - Rossville good shooting will win the day.

Delphi at Sheridan © , 7:30 pm - My only home team pick, Delphi has been playing much better since their leading scorer has returned, Sheridan on upset alert here, Senior Night as well! Hard to win conf games on the road, would not be surprised if one of these other home teams pulled out an upset win Friday night.  

Saturday, Jan. 20
Clinton Central at Frankfort, 7:30 pm - Frankfort is better
Faith Christian at Carroll, 7:30 pm - Carroll should win
Fountain Central at Clinton Prairie, 7:30 pm - CP should be able to handle FC
Seeger at Rossville, 7:30 pm - advantage Seeger, I'll take Rossville at home
Taylor at Cass, 7:30 pm - Taylor should win
Winamac at Delphi, 7:30 pm - Delphi better than their record, taking them at home as well.

• 1 month later...
On 1/8/2024 at 3:22 PM, Daniel_Bragg said:

Now that the final conference standings are locked in, I thought it was interesting to see the top four as the top four I predicted pre-season. Bragg you were right as well, tons of games separated by very few points. Conference standings could have easily been flipped many different ways with just 1 play in many of the games.

CP             8-0

Carroll       5-2

Taylor        5-3

Sheridan   4-4

Sheridan is still young and lost some games they should not have this season. Most notably the Delphi and Eastern games but also the 1 point home loss against Taylor. They beat Carroll and have the talent that could have very easily finished 7-1 in conference with only a 6-point loss to CP, a game in which they led at one point in the 4th Q.
Sheridan has secured a winning season record; it is only the 3rd winning season in the last 20 seasons.
Trey Page(Freshman) broke the Sheridan 3-pointers in a game record(9), the team has scored more points in a game than they have in over 10 years(86 and 87), Trent DeCraene(Senior) broke the Sheridan single-game record for assists(15), and with 2 games left Trent is only 6 assists away from breaking the Sheridan all-time single season assists record.

Sheridan had an up and down year losing some close ones but overall, what a fun team to watch. A lot of exciting run and gun basketball and some great records and stories to follow on this team. They have a tough draw in Sectionals but with a first round bye 1 win gets them to the sectional championship, Sheridan has not won a sectional since 1983 or even been to a sectional championship game since 2003.

Go Blackhawks

Final games of the season and first round of sectionals:
Who ya got...

Friday, Feb. 23
Alexandria at Taylor, 7:30 pm-Taylor in a funk, should be able to win
Clinton Prairie at North Newton, 7:30 pm-know nothing about N Newton but I know CP is good, they will win.
Eastern at Carroll © , 6 pm-Carroll has had a lot of up and down but I will take them at home.
Frankfort at Delphi, 7:30 pm-Frankfort too much for delphi
Frontier at Clinton Central, 7:30 pm-Neither team playing great, I will take CC at home
Tri-Central at Northfield, 7:30 pm-Tri should win
Waldron at Sheridan, 7:30 pm-Sheridan should win, need to continue momentum going into sectionals.
West Lafayette at Rossville, 7:30 pm-WL too big and too good for Rossville
SECTIONALS-Tuesday, Feb. 27
Carroll vs. Delphi, 7:30 pm, Central Catholic-I will take Carroll, depends which Carroll team shows up.
Faith Christian vs. Clinton Central, 6 pm, Fountain Central-Faith Christian should win
Rossville vs. Attica, 7:30 pm, Fountain Central-Rossville should win
SECTIONALS-Wednesday, Feb. 28
Taylor vs. Blackford, 6 pm, Tipton-I will take Taylor but their recent slide has me concerned for them

Friday, Feb. 23
Alexandria at Taylor, 7:30 pm- Taylor eek one out.
Clinton Prairie at North Newton, 7:30 pm - Prairie roll.
Eastern at Carroll © , 6 pm - Carroll bounce back from the thumping they took against Western
Frankfort at Delphi, 7:30 pm - Game is tight most of the way, but Frankfort ultimately wins.
Frontier at Clinton Central, 7:30 pm - Give me Frontier.
Tri-Central at Northfield, 7:30 pm - Tri-Central.
Waldron at Sheridan, 7:30 pm - Sheridan going away.
West Lafayette at Rossville, 7:30 pm - Very tough final game of the regular season for Rossville at home.  West Lafayette big.
SECTIONALS-Tuesday, Feb. 27
Carroll vs. Delphi, 7:30 pm, Central Catholic - Carroll eliminate their conference opponent.
Faith Christian vs. Clinton Central, 6 pm, Fountain Central - Faith Christian easy.
Rossville vs. Attica, 7:30 pm, Fountain Central - Rossville can turn out the lights early.
SECTIONALS-Wednesday, Feb. 28
Taylor vs. Blackford, 6 pm, Tipton - Blackford by inches.