Charlestown at North Harrison

Eastern Pekin at Silver Creek

Salem at Brownstown

Scottsburg at Corydon

Eastern Greene at Mitchell

Paoli at Perry Central

South Decatur at Crawford County

Springs Valley at West Washington

I've been curious about this topic for a while and I figure that I'm in the right place. Why is Crawford County so bad at football? I understand that the county has economic issues but I have to assume that the issues lie much deeper than that. Is there any light at the end of the tunnel for them? Their basketball team went to state about 6 years ago, so they can definitely develop some athletes.

22 minutes ago, roaringthunderdlr said:

I've been curious about this topic for a while and I figure that I'm in the right place. Why is Crawford County so bad at football? I understand that the county has economic issues but I have to assume that the issues lie much deeper than that. Is there any light at the end of the tunnel for them? Their basketball team went to state about 6 years ago, so they can definitely develop some athletes.

Realistically producing a good basketball team and football team are 2 very different things and not comparable at all.

2A football is very competitive in this area. Their conference is getting stronger and and the sectional is tough.

They've never had a chance to build off of regular season success. Winning helps cure a lot of problems.

55 minutes ago, roaringthunderdlr said:

I've watched every level of CC football for last couple years. Numbers is a big part. Last year their 6th/5th grade youth team had to play part of a game 10 on 10 after an injury. I just don't think there is enough support or a lower level foundation. Now I think they've had some kids that if they played at a different school would probably get more fan fair. Keith Brooks, Tanner Arnold, and probably the Bell kids who play now and all decent athletes. But the line play is usually very under developed. The teams aren't good in youth league. I know Paoli just beat em 26-7 and that game was 26-0 end of 1 and Paoli emptied the bench. JR high is struggling as well (WW just beat em 44-0). I can only speak to what I see on field but I think it'll be hard to get kids devoted to the game of football there. Still surprised to this day PLAC didn't let them walk couple years ago when they wanted to go independent 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roaringthunderdlr said:

Like anything, it's not just a single issue. Support from the school has always been lackaing. The school has never made an investment at all in the program. The football program is expected to be 100% self sufficient meaning if they needed equipment, it comes from fundraising or donations. If you want Hudl, fundraising. New jerseys, fundraising. Helmets refurbished, fundraising. The school hasn't really hire any assistant coaches to be in the building but from what I hear, that's getting better. The current AD will do whatever he can to make sure things are done correctly but they wasted a lot of years.

I also feel like if you want to have a  successful football program, you have to have support from the community, which historically is lacking. You have some great parents that are involved and they are at everything and their child never misses a workout, but for every one of those, you have 8 that are the opposite.

The overall mentality of the county seems to be, "How can I get by and do the absolute minimum?" which doesn't turn kids into quality football players. I know an army recruiter that makes his rounds at area high schools has said it's hard to get those kids to sign up for the military because the mentality of hard work just isn't there in the majority and if it is, those are the ones that head off to college.

I mentioned assistants earlier, and there has always been a lack of help in the area because the pool of people willing to help are small, or they want to help and work construction and don't get off work until well after practice time. And if you can't find quality assistants for high school, jr. high and youth are a challenge too.

Keep in mind, these are generalizations. There are some kids that work super hard and are very talented. Some parents are super supportive and are willing to help out in whatever way they can.

Coach Bell deserves a lot of credit. He probably has the hardest coaching job in the state. He and his staff are giving those kids an opportunity to play football when they otherwise wouldn't get to. Hopefully things get better for them soon.

Edited by JQWL
  • Like 2