18. Roncalli
  19. Zionsville
  20. Valparaiso 
  21. Bloomington North
  22. Bloomington South
  23. Evansville Reitz
  24. Kokomo
  25. Warsaw

Looks pretty legit.  Westfield had to be moved up….I am, though, having a little question in my mind about Ben Davis at the moment.

I have to admit being a little exasperated at Carmel (who might not even be 13th).  I’ve oft considered them to be the public school version of Cathedral (which is not entirely intended as a compliment but, rather, just an observation) and, frankly, just how a school that is literally multiples in size larger than most everyone else they play, having, not just abundant but rather excessive human capital, coaching capital and real life, well, ……..capital - doesn’t find itself most every year comfortably ensconced well within the Top 5 year in and out seems terribly underwhelming on their part.  That school has more resources than most D3 colleges…and a Helluva lot more students.

Good call on moving up Roncalli in my opinion.  Young and improving…I think they are legit in 4A (without being able to unlock the the “riddle wrapped in a mystery wrapped in an enigma” that is the closed conference 4A SIAC teams until they come boiling out of the South) but, unfortunately, have the potential East Central Mount Everest to overcome.

Edited by Lysander

34 minutes ago, Lysander said:

Looks pretty legit.  Westfield had to be moved up….I am, though, having a little question in my mind about Ben Davis at the moment.

I have to admit being a little exasperated at Carmel (who might not even be 13th).  I’ve oft considered them to be the public school version of Cathedral (which is not entirely intended as a compliment but, rather, just an observation) and, frankly, just how a school that is literally multiples in size larger than most everyone else they play, having, not just abundant but rather excessive human capital, coaching capital and real life, well, ……..capital - doesn’t find itself most every year comfortably ensconced well within the Top 5 year in and out seems terribly underwhelming on their part.  That school has more resources than most D3 colleges…and a Helluva lot more students.

Good call on moving up Roncalli in my opinion.  Young and improving…I think they are legit in 4A (without being able to unlock the the “riddle wrapped in a mystery wrapped in an enigma” that is the closed conference 4A SIAC teams until they come boiling out of the South) but, unfortunately, have the potential East Central Mount Everest to overcome.

Ben Davis still beat Moeller by two touchdowns and was pretty competitive against one of the top teams in the nation. Maybe the Giants weren't ready for the truck that was about to hit them last night? I think too many people were looking at Warren Central as a team that had two losses and forgetting that they are big, athletic, and getting better as the season moves along. The Giants are legitimate Top 3 in my opinion. 

I've been saying this about Carmel for years. They should be Top 3 every year and occupy 40 percent of the large division state titles. 

Edited by BTF
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Lysander said:

17 penalties on BD last night…

Just didn’t look sharp, credit to Warren…their D held up after the initial onslaught.

Their special teams is an enigma.

A KR/PR TD but can’t make a field goal and their kickoff team is atrocious.

Edited by temptation

7 hours ago, temptation said:

17 penalties on BD last night…

Just didn’t look sharp, credit to Warren…their D held up after the initial onslaught.

Their special teams is an enigma.

A KR/PR TD but can’t make a field goal and their kickoff team is atrocious.

It was a really bad night for special teams. 

Rudolph has been rock solid all year. That missed FG was his first miss of the year. It was wide left by a few feet with good leg distance. He nailed the other one. 

Punting was a big issue last night. I will have to ask why the Giants rush their punt unit onto the field like that. I am curious. 

As far as the punt return, that was a case of not wrapping up a tackle. They had two shots at the guy, and he got away. That opening kick was probably the worst coverage I've seen out of a Ben Davis team in years. You could have driven a semi through that gap sideways. Something happened there. Knowing Coach Spinks, that unit is not in for a good week, LOL. He'll fix it.

2 hours ago, BDGiant93 said:

It was a really bad night for special teams. 

Rudolph has been rock solid all year. That missed FG was his first miss of the year. It was wide left by a few feet with good leg distance. He nailed the other one. 

Punting was a big issue last night. I will have to ask why the Giants rush their punt unit onto the field like that. I am curious. 

As far as the punt return, that was a case of not wrapping up a tackle. They had two shots at the guy, and he got away. That opening kick was probably the worst coverage I've seen out of a Ben Davis team in years. You could have driven a semi through that gap sideways. Something happened there. Knowing Coach Spinks, that unit is not in for a good week, LOL. He'll fix it.

Its those darn intangibles !!!

On 9/16/2023 at 3:45 PM, BTF said:

Are they throwin

On 9/16/2023 at 3:45 PM, BTF said:

Are they throwing the ball this year or are they still 95% run?

They still run the ball more, but they can throw the ball.  Mishawaka has some really athletic talented players on that field. The biggest issue, is mistakes. They hurt themselves enough for Penn to exploit during their matchup a couple weeks ago. 

I would not be surprised if they are the best team out of the NLC this year.

54 minutes ago, BLACKGOLD2007 said:

I'd never rule Mishawaka out. I still remember Mishawaka 21, Snider 0.......last year's regional. And that was without throwing the football. When they did try to throw, it looked pretty dismal. Needless to say, I was a bit surprised when seeing his name listed among the top QB's in the state during the off season. 

Edited by BTF

4 hours ago, BTF said:

I'd never rule Mishawaka out. I still remember Mishawaka 21, Snider 0.......last year's regional. And that was without throwing the football. When they did try to throw, it looked pretty dismal. Needless to say, I was a bit surprised when seeing his name listed among the top QB's in the state during the off season. 

We haven't seen Mishawaka in a few years, is it the same QB from last year? Their FB runs downhill and hard, they didn't utilize their wings much, but they aren't always in the traditional triple option formation. 

I think Mishawaka's problem in the playoffs will be handling Snider's speed come the regional game. 

15 minutes ago, BLACKGOLD2007 said:

We haven't seen Mishawaka in a few years, is it the same QB from last year? Their FB runs downhill and hard, they didn't utilize their wings much, but they aren't always in the traditional triple option formation. 

I think Mishawaka's problem in the playoffs will be handling Snider's speed come the regional game. 

Now now, speed is overrated according to some round here…

• Haha 1
  • Kill me now 1

30 minutes ago, BLACKGOLD2007 said:

Would they be playing a potential regional game in a parking lot, on grass, or on field turf?  I need to know more prior to making my pick...

Also, how close does one team have to be close to a major metropolitan city for them to be considered in the "city speed > country speed" discussion?

Asking for a friend...

9 minutes ago, BLACKGOLD2007 said:

Who do you think will be in the final four for 5A? 

As of right now I would say:

North: Valpo v Snider

South: Bloomington North v Plainfield. (I know nothing about either school)

Gun to my head right now...

Valpo/Snider

Bloomington South/Plainfield

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, temptation said:

Would they be playing a potential regional game in a parking lot, on grass, or on field turf?  I need to know more prior to making my pick...

Also, how close does one team have to be close to a major metropolitan city for them to be considered in the "city speed > country speed" discussion?

Asking for a friend...

Valpo/Snider

I agree. 

25 minutes ago, temptation said:

Asking for a friend...

Valpo/Snider

What is “city” speed or “country” speed? Fast is fast, period

20 minutes ago, Komets2727 said:

Here is an AI computer generated response to your Question, Not Mine:

City speed and country speed are terms that some people use to compare the athletic abilities of football players from different regions. The idea is that players from urban areas have more speed and agility, while players from rural areas have more strength and endurance. However, these terms are not based on any scientific evidence and may reflect stereotypes or biases. There are many factors that affect a player's performance, such as coaching, training, nutrition, genetics, and motivation. Therefore, it is not fair or accurate to judge a player's speed based on where they come from.

1 hour ago, Komets2727 said:

It’s a long standing joke on here…but I would like to point out that 7 of the 9 medalists in the 100 meter dash at last spring’s IHSAA state finals came from within 20 minutes of Monument Circle…

2 hours ago, temptation said:

Asking for a friend...

Valpo/Snider

I think Mishawaka paved their football field last year. then allowed the elements to eat away at it....so massive pot holes all over the field. 

So, if Mishawaka gets homefield advantage look out.