Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

3A #1 Chatard @ 3A #2 Guerin

Went to the GC/Roncalli game last week. If not for the occasional big passing play from GC this game could have ended 35-7. That being said, GC also had a WR drop a wide open TD pass which would have tied the game at 21 and possibly swung the momentum to GC. If BCHS can force them to drive the ball on every possession then I don’t see GC having nearly enough offense to do it consistently for a full game. As for GC’s defense, #53 is their best player. Neutralize him and they can’t stop the run. Roncalli can’t really pass so, even with a loaded box, Roncalli ran for 300+ yards. 94 is likely right in his prediction. 

On 9/19/2023 at 1:03 PM, Just a dad said:

Went to the GC/Roncalli game last week. If not for the occasional big passing play from GC this game could have ended 35-7. That being said, GC also had a WR drop a wide open TD pass which would have tied the game at 21 and possibly swung the momentum to GC. If BCHS can force them to drive the ball on every possession then I don’t see GC having nearly enough offense to do it consistently for a full game. As for GC’s defense, #53 is their best player. Neutralize him and they can’t stop the run. Roncalli can’t really pass so, even with a loaded box, Roncalli ran for 300+ yards. 94 is likely right in his prediction. 

Chatard can do this. 

Trojans by 29 points.

41 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

I gotta asK cuz I’m not close to Chatard/Indy

is this one of those special Chatard teams?

Brebeuf Roncalli and cathedral…why did we let them come back down to 3A? Lol  

My guess is since chatard only needs to win a regional to move up to 4A they "choke" in the playoffs this year

2 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

They’re bigger and have more depth than I’ve seen in a while.  Let’s see how they fare Friday night and the rest of the way.  

9 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Well, the last season they beat all 3 they didn't win state, so who knows. It would be fun to see GS and BC square off again.

1 hour ago, tango said:

Well, the last season they beat all 3 they didn't win state, so who knows. It would be fun to see GS and BC square off again.

Let’s just take a deep breathe here lol

GS has a lot to prove still.  Any given Friday haha.  I absolutely want to see it cuz I know what the soonest game for that would be…but I don’t think Gs can throw its name in the hat for that discussion just yet.  Losing to 4A/5A champions from KY is still a loss 

5 hours ago, tango said:

We had a once in a decade public school team last time....and still lost.  If Memorial falls back to 3A they are much better equipped to handle a game like that, given the inequities in our state.

Edited by Titan32

10 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

We had a once in a decade public school team last time....and still lost.  If Memorial falls back to 3A they are much better equipped to handle a game like that, given the inequities in our state.

Oh come on, you don't really have that attitude! The sun sets through the "IB" sign at Jewell. 

Just now, tango said:

Oh come on, you don't really have that attitude! The sun sets through the "IB" sign at Jewell. 

I believe we can beat any 3A public in the state "most" years.  Our peers.

I don't subscribe to the machismo of fighting against insurmountable odds.  The deck is stacked and is stinks.

• Like 1

@DumfriesYMCA Not sure if BCHS is a “special” team this year. The defense is much better since 7 of this year’s starters return from last years defense where they also started. So senior defense but the skill positions are not as deep or talented on offense. They graduated their QB, top 2 WRs and top 2 TEs. The O line is bigger which should help them control the ball. Against Brebeuf, the BJHS coach essentially said his team wasn’t prepared and got tired. Roncalli was a close game and (as with the last two years) could have gone either way. In the Cathedral game the coaches figured out how to make O’Neil uncomfortable by disguising coverages and putting pressure in his face. They were losing that game 21-0 until the defense got it’s feet under it. They could just as easily be 1-2 in conference. That being said, they have a tremendous amount of fight in them and won’t be intimidated by anyone. They are beatable but a team will have to win in the trenches and be able to throw effectively if they get behind. From what I am seeing, there are some talented teams in 3A. As always, though, BCHS will be battle tested going into the playoffs while some teams play a much weaker schedule. A quick check of Calpreps trends says that Lincoln looks like the team that will face the toughest competition the rest of the way. Going into the playoffs after playing a bunch of teams with negative ratings is no way to prepare kids for the grind. It does make the fans of those teams feel good, though. Until they face unfamiliar pressure and typically that is when the cracks show. 

12 hours ago, Just a dad said:

@DumfriesYMCA Not sure if BCHS is a “special” team this year. The defense is much better since 7 of this year’s starters return from last years defense where they also started. So senior defense but the skill positions are not as deep or talented on offense. They graduated their QB, top 2 WRs and top 2 TEs. The O line is bigger which should help them control the ball. Against Brebeuf, the BJHS coach essentially said his team wasn’t prepared and got tired. Roncalli was a close game and (as with the last two years) could have gone either way. In the Cathedral game the coaches figured out how to make O’Neil uncomfortable by disguising coverages and putting pressure in his face. They were losing that game 21-0 until the defense got it’s feet under it. They could just as easily be 1-2 in conference. That being said, they have a tremendous amount of fight in them and won’t be intimidated by anyone. They are beatable but a team will have to win in the trenches and be able to throw effectively if they get behind. From what I am seeing, there are some talented teams in 3A. As always, though, BCHS will be battle tested going into the playoffs while some teams play a much weaker schedule. A quick check of Calpreps trends says that Lincoln looks like the team that will face the toughest competition the rest of the way. Going into the playoffs after playing a bunch of teams with negative ratings is no way to prepare kids for the grind. It does make the fans of those teams feel good, though. Until they face unfamiliar pressure and typically that is when the cracks show. 

Great assessment!  I had an earlier post where I stated that Roncalli was way down this year and I also stated that Chatard is down.  I agree with your assessment that Chatard's defense is better and more experienced than last year but that Chatard's offense is down after losing some great players.  The OL is bigger but Chatard has always had smallish lines with great technique and grit.  Just like all Indy area Catholic schools, Chatard plays extremely hard and will not back down from anyone.

As far as this game, Chatard wins easily.  Guerin is weak in the trenches.  Roncalli manhandled Guerin and would have had over 400 yards rushing if they hadn't tried to pass so much in the second quarter.  Twice Roncalli failed to place a DB in coverage and it burned them once for an uncontested TD.  The second time the WR dropped a sure TD pass.  The game should not have even been close.  

Edited by FCGriz

I think Chatard wins this handily and wins 3A this year. They are going to be tough for the next several years. I could honestly see them winning state this year, moving up to 4A and possibly winning it once or twice in the next couple of years.

I coached CYO for several years with the class that is now Freshmen and know some of the players/parents of Freshmen and Sophomore class. The freshman team is stacked. According to the parents I know they beat everyone this year including Cathedral. When I was coaching, there were 2 players that were head and shoulders above everyone else in CYO, and 1 went to Chatard (believe the other is at Roncalli) and is apparently dominating. They also have a ton of the other really good CYO players. The JV team is also really good from what I saw. They are going to be tough for years to come.

On 9/20/2023 at 9:14 PM, DumfriesYMCA said:

Chatard is not flashy this year. They are a typical Chatard team though play all the way until the end with constant hard effort. Nobody is going to wow you, but they play very fundamentally strong. Defense returns a lot of experience especially in the secondary. The defense is good enough that the Offense can work out the kinks to find themselves through the season. Offense does have some very good skill players that will be even better as they gel together.

15 hours ago, Just a dad said:

Chatard did a very good job of doing exactly what you said against Cathedral. They took advantage of Cathedral's QB still working the kinks out with the WR's and put pressure and disguised coverages. Offensively Chatard loosened up Cathedral's defense with their QB running and making plays opening the pass a little more.

• Thanks 1

I have a hard time predicting the easy win some seem to think this is going to be for Chatard.  I recall hearing similar predictions for the game with Roncalli….from Roncalli folks in some cases.  It obviously didn’t turn out that way.

I do think @Just a dad has summarized the team fairly well, though.  I also agree with @FastpacedO that the defense has been buying time for the offense to gel….hopefully much like they came together over the course of last season.

I can’t help but notice @tango’s cautionary remark about what happened the last time Chatard beat Cathedral and Roncalli the same year (and Guerin) - they got absolutely mauled by Memorial in Semistate.  Just a few years prior, the last time Chatard beat Cathedral, Roncalli and Guerin they were also beat up badly by Ritter (who lost at State to Luers) led by Jake Purichia and a bevy of great receivers and backs. 

@Boiler Boog has mentioned some underclassmen for Chatard which, admittedly, do look pretty good but, clearly, this team is going to achieve or fail on the strength of its upperclassmen.  I have to admit, though, I’m curious as heck regarding @Boiler Boog’s background in that he can be behind both an Indy Catholic (I’m giving Brebeuf the benefit of the doubt in that reference) and yet have some EIAC in him.   Sounds like I path I walk/walked…

• Like 1

On 9/21/2023 at 2:46 PM, WestfieldRocks said:

Question  - Of those 16 titles, have all been in 2A-3A?

The only 3A team that has, so far, won the 4A State Championship is Evansville Memorial.  They have done it once.  Unfortunately, 4A is not the pushover for bumped 3A teams that 5A has proven to be for 4A teams that have been bumped up.

Every time Chatard has been bumped it’s either ran into a Roncalli team on the rise (since the IHSAA insists on putting all the Catholics in the same sectional if at all possible) or a team like New Pal in Regional when they began their run a few years back…so Chatard continues get get knocked back down to 3A.  

Now, if the IHSAA just wasn’t so “cute” about those Sectional pairings….

• Like 1

Well it turned out to be a very close game.Chatard won in OT 13-7. BCHS lost their QB on the first drive and played a sophomore for the rest of the game. There were 2 apparent TD passes thrown to Colin Guy (recall that name from last years State Championship game and this years win over Cathedral) that were called incomplete. On at least one it looked like he had a foot in bounds and possession of the ball. They also missed a short FG, fumbled a 4th down snap inside the 5 and had a FG blocked with about 2 minutes to play. Guerin scored after a tipped pass was intercepted and returned to the Chatard 15. They also fumbled a 4th down snap at the 1 in OT (I guess that’s why you don’t put your QB under center for the first time in the entire game in that situation). Not sure what the pre game injury report looked like for Guerin but Chatard was missing their top DL who also starts at guard and their starting RB (who ran for 325 against Brebeuf). Guerin’s kids battled hard. That is life in HS football, though. Good luck to both teams goinng forward and hope everyone’s kids stayed healthy.

5 hours ago, Lysander said:

I have a hard time predicting the easy win some seem to think this is going to be for Chatard.  I recall hearing similar predictions for the game with Roncalli….from Roncalli folks in some cases.  It obviously didn’t turn out that way.

I do think @Just a dad has summarized the team fairly well, though.  I also agree with @FastpacedO that the defense has been buying time for the offense to gel….hopefully much like they came together over the course of last season.

I can’t help but notice @tango’s cautionary remark about what happened the last time Chatard beat Cathedral and Roncalli the same year (and Guerin) - they got absolutely mauled by Memorial in Semistate.  Just a few years prior, the last time Chatard beat Cathedral, Roncalli and Guerin they were also beat up badly by Ritter (who lost at State to Luers) led by Jake Purichia and a bevy of great receivers and backs. 

@Boiler Boog has mentioned some underclassmen for Chatard which, admittedly, do look pretty good but, clearly, this team is going to achieve or fail on the strength of its upperclassmen.  I have to admit, though, I’m curious as heck regarding @Boiler Boog’s background in that he can be behind both an Indy Catholic (I’m giving Brebeuf the benefit of the doubt in that reference) and yet have some EIAC in him.   Sounds like I path I walk/walked…

I graduated from East Central in 2000. Still have some family members on the coaching staff and the team. So what still follow them. When I graduated from college I moved to Carmel. Started coaching CYO when my son was in 3rd grade and moved up every year with him through 8th grade last year. So I’ve seen pretty much all the Indy CYO teams a few times. Barnabas and St. Mike were the two dominant teams in our age. All the Barnabas kids go to Roncalli and apparently most of the St Mike kids went to Chatard this year. Barnabas also had a good class the year above my son along with St Roch being pretty good. So I’d expect Roncalli to have some pretty good classes and Chatard to be really strong. Trust me, when the current freshmen are seniors, Chatard will have a Mr. Football candidate at running back.

So that’s how I ended up as a dual East Central/Northside Catholic School guy.

• Like 1