Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Look at the ACAC in 2019 in what looks to be a possible 2 team race, but could have some wild cards in the fold. My beloved Flying Jets took home the crown for the 2nd year in a row in 2018, but they will have an uphill battle in 2019 with many key players graduating. So here is the run down:

Adams Central- It will be a challenging year or two for the Flying Jets. Replacing many key contributors on both sides of the ball this season. Gone are the electric Macklin, along with Bates, Hammond, and Yergler. Someone will have to fill the void of Berlanga on the defensive side of the ball. There is much pride and tradition in the program and the kids will fight all year long.

Bluffton- Can the Tigers build off of last season is the big question? They have some offensive production that will need to be replaced. I see them possibly fighting for position with AC & JC.

Heritage- It's been a rough few years for the Patriots. They seem to have a few great players lately that end up injured. Could they be a pleasant surprise or will the trend continue? It's been awhile since they have been fighting & winning the conference with Woodlan, AC, & SW days of old.

Jay County- the largest school in the conference, the Patriots have yet to exert their dominance on the gridiron. If the trend holds, I see them battling AC and Bluffton for the 3rd spot if not higher if they improve on past performances.

South Adams- the youth of the last 2 to 3 years should now be the experienced group. The Starfires are contenders for the crown this year if not the favorite, and could make some noise in the playoffs. No longer stuck with AC in Sectional (though they would be favored this year), could make for a deep playoff run if healthy. 

Southern Wells- like Heritage, the Raiders in Wells County have had some difficult years. Like Bellmont, this position was a late hire which may not bode well. I believe the culture is coming back, it will just be a numbers game. Hopefully the numbers get better and the Raiders can be contenders once again.

Woodlan- the Warriors had a setback last year. I don't see them staying down for long, and actually think they will be the 2nd contender of the crown in this conference. I could be way off, but they tend to find talented players the past few years under Coach Haydock. They have a tough 3 game stretch playing out of state LCC who is usually good year in and out, then playing SA in what could be for the conference title, and then an always tough road trip to Monroe to face the Flying Jets getting into playoff mode.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

As an outsider looking in..if I was a betting man I'd go south adams..woodland..sw...ac..as my top 4..i do think the conference title is up for grabs and hopefully the teams I didn't mention shock me. The aforementioned 4 will have some heavy lifting to do as traditional conference  juggernauts.

19 hours ago, Justasportsfan said:

As an outsider looking in..if I was a betting man I'd go south adams..woodland..sw...ac..as my top 4..i do think the conference title is up for grabs and hopefully the teams I didn't mention shock me. The aforementioned 4 will have some heavy lifting to do as traditional conference  juggernauts.

I'd say those 3 minus SW only due to the numbers recently. They've had a rough patch the past few years. 

10 hours ago, Justasportsfan said:

True..i just like rooting for sw..!😉

Even though they ended my playing days, I do like to see them do well. We have ended their seasons more, so we were due. Be nice to see them and Heritage get back to the glory days.

• Like 2

My top 4: Woodlan, SA, Bluffton & AC in that order.

Would love to see Heritage (my alma mater) get out of the basement this year.  Also would like to see SW do something as that's where my wife graduated from.  Been a few tough seasons for both schools.  Wish them well, but might not be this year for either program based on the little I've heard from friends/relatives up there.  Keep hoping though.....

16 hours ago, Justasportsfan said:

Sounds like S.A. will be tough this year..lofty preseason ranking..

Yes, they're returning many key players and their Jr & Sr classes have been pretty successful at every level.

5 hours ago, Bonecrusher said:

Think they have a new HC.

Yes, they do. He was a late hire and I believe came out of retirement from Northeastern. I believe he coached 21 or 22 years there. I saw an interview on one of the local channels where he is focused on building upon the character of the young men and not worrying about wins/losses.

7 hours ago, Bonecrusher said:

Think they have a new HC.

They do.  I talked to someone that works at SW who mentioned they had single digits for some of their summer stuff.  He said they may not have enough for a team unless more showed up for practices when they officially started.  I haven’t heard anything more so I was just curious if anyone knew.  Too much specialization (made that mistake myself) and a lot of capable students that prefer not to play.

4 hours ago, HoopsCoach said:

They do.  I talked to someone that works at SW who mentioned they had single digits for some of their summer stuff.  He said they may not have enough for a team unless more showed up for practices when they officially started.  I haven’t heard anything more so I was just curious if anyone knew.  Too much specialization (made that mistake myself) and a lot of capable students that prefer not to play.

Specialization in 1a and 2a programs can definitely hinder certain sports..even prized recruits in 6a programs pull double duty...winning a state title in one sport is great..winning two in one is even better! I know Warren pulled off that feat..not sure who else can lay claim to that..?

On 8/13/2019 at 3:29 PM, Basementbias said:

Yes, they're returning many key players and their Jr & Sr classes have been pretty successful at every level.

Yes, they do. He was a late hire and I believe came out of retirement from Northeastern. I believe he coached 21 or 22 years there. I saw an interview on one of the local channels where he is focused on building upon the character of the young men and not worrying about wins/losses.

I looked for that interview yesterday and couldn't find it.  Checked the local news channels (that I know of) websites.  I did see one of the reports for the ACAC media day and read that SW did not attend, but I believe the coach gave them a statement through e-mail/text/other.

Def not the same "old" ACAC conference of the mid- 80's!

Edited by Bonecrusher

7 hours ago, Bonecrusher said:

I looked for that interview yesterday and couldn't find it.  Checked the local news channels (that I know of) websites.  I did see one of the reports for the ACAC media day and read that SW did not attend, but I believe the coach gave them a statement through e-mail/text/other.

Think it may have been WFFT Fox 55.

On 8/15/2019 at 2:26 PM, Bonecrusher said:

The mid-80’s conference of Churubusco, Carroll, Leo, Woodlan, Heritage, Norwell, Southern Wells, and Adams Central.  Those schools were all pretty similar at the time.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2019 at 2:03 PM, HoopsCoach said:

Does SW have enough for a team this year?

Southern Wells will have a team. Probably in the mid-20's, which is roughly what they've had the last few seasons.

On 8/13/2019 at 12:13 AM, Justasportsfan said:

Sounds like S.A. will be tough this year..lofty preseason ranking..

I could see them going 9-0 each of the next two regular seasons.

5 hours ago, Tiger Fan said:

Southern Wells will have a team. Probably in the mid-20's, which is roughly what they've had the last few seasons.

I could see them going 9-0 each of the next two regular seasons.

They may be due for a couple of good runs ala ac..an unexpected loss could be good for their ego b4 the playoffs hit..although no pioneer this year..their road will still be tough

2 hours ago, Tiger Fan said:

My predicted order of finish:

1) South Adams

2) Woodlan

3) Adams Central

4) Heritage

5) Bluffton

6) Jay County

7) Southern Wells

Interesting having Heritage in 4th, but I'm not complaining.  I would have put them 5th or 6th.  Not living in the area has it's drawbacks as you only hear the family/friends version of what schools are bringing back talent-wise.  Be interesting to see how it works out.

46 minutes ago, Bonecrusher said:

Interesting having Heritage in 4th, but I'm not complaining.  I would have put them 5th or 6th.  Not living in the area has it's drawbacks as you only hear the family/friends version of what schools are bringing back talent-wise.  Be interesting to see how it works out.

You could probably rearrange 4-6 in any order. I just have a hard time predicting Bluffton any higher than that. Too many years of ineptitude and lousy football, although I really like what our current coach is doing.

What's gone on with Heritage the last few seasons? When I was growing up, it seemed like they were untouchable just about every year.

16 hours ago, Tiger Fan said:

You could probably rearrange 4-6 in any order. I just have a hard time predicting Bluffton any higher than that. Too many years of ineptitude and lousy football, although I really like what our current coach is doing.

What's gone on with Heritage the last few seasons? When I was growing up, it seemed like they were untouchable just about every year.

Wish I knew.  Guessing a combination of new coach a couple years ago and maybe a drop in talent?  We relocated to Texas in 2006 so besides what's on here strictly going off what family/friends tell me, but it's all their version of what's happening which may or may not be accurate.  Enjoy keeping up with the sport "back home" via this forum.

When I was at Heritage (early-mid 80's) we were that team that hovered around .500 most of the time.  What era are you referring to?  I remember they had several really good seasons but at a loss right now regarding the years.

Edited by Bonecrusher

1 hour ago, Basementbias said:

Good to see some fellow ACAC members finally! Anyone interested in doing pick'em in the club group for ACAC and NE8?

I'd be down for that.  I think between this site and a little communication with folk back home, I'm fed just enough info to make some halfway educated predictions.

4 hours ago, Bonecrusher said:

Wish I knew.  Guessing a combination of new coach a couple years ago and maybe a drop in talent?  We relocated to Texas in 2006 so besides what's on here strictly going off what family/friends tell me, but it's all their version of what's happening which may or may not be accurate.  Enjoy keeping up with the sport "back home" via this forum.

When I was at Heritage (early-mid 80's) we were that team that hovered around .500 most of the time.  What era are you referring to?  I remember they had several really good seasons but at a loss right now regarding the years.

Seems like 90's to 2006. I know they were really good in 2005 and 2006 when I was a Frosh & Sophmore.

5 hours ago, Bonecrusher said:

2000-2006. The worst record they had during that time was 8-3. They had three seasons with only one loss. They won the conference six years in a row, and had a pretty long winning streak (like 30+) against ACAC opponents.

I know Bluffton went 24 years without beating them before changing that in 2017. That always used to be a game we could count on being over before halftime.