Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Week Six - Involving Hoosier North Athletic Conference Teams!

What say you for this week?

Friday, Sep. 22
Caston at North White, 7 pm
Culver at Winamac ©, 7 pm
Knox at LaVille ©, 7:30 pm
South Central at North Judson, 8 pm
Triton at Pioneer ©, 7 pm

as always, the game is better

from_the_sidelines007

9 hours ago, from_the_sidelines007 said:
Friday, Sep. 22

Caston at North White: I think North White is the favorite but I wouldn't be shocked to see Caston get their first win. I think It'll be close. Caston's Linebacker play will play a big roll. Caston 20 North White 14

Culver at Winamac: Culver and Winamac both are looking for their first wins. Winamc held north Judson to 21. Culver gave up 47. If the Winamac comes out last week comes out this week it's Winamac all the way. Culver 6 Winamac 14

Knox at LaVille: In my opinion, the game of the week is at LaVille. I think LaVille will pull it out. As stated previously by others, It's hard to go 80 yards every drive. but I think Knox will give them a run for their money here. Knox 24 Laville 28

South Central at North Judson: South Central has 1 win over a common opponent, being Culver. North Judson continues their tear and wins it at a decent rate after not scoring so much last week. South Central 8 North Judson 35

Triton at Pioneer: Pioneer Shocked some people in here last week with the win over Hammond. I think if healthy they continue to roll. The addition of the lineman last week seemed to be something that helped a lot. They were without their starting it seemed they managed without. Nonetheless I feel with him they will be another good Pioneer team now. Triton 14 Pioneer 28

There should be some good games this week!  At least one conference team will get their first win of the season.  And I wouldn't be surprised if it's two!  Here are your John Harrell predictions for this week:

jh PREDICTION: North White, 38-24.

jh PREDICTION: Winamac, 35-21.

jh PREDICTION: LaVille, 24-23.

jh PREDICTION: North Judson, 38-17.

jh PREDICTION: Pioneer, 28-21.

Hammond Central (4-0) at Pioneer (3-1)
The Wolves did everything they could to lose at Highland last week, committing 25 penalties before escaping 21-15 in overtime. If they do that again, they'll lose. But if they don't, they should win this one. Hammond Central, 34-20.

Worked this game last night at Pioneer. Pioneer was just more physical than Hammond Central. I told a Pioneer guy that Central had better athletes for the most part, but Pioneer had better football players. Penalties did not hurt HC this week. Pioneer was able to keep the stud RB in check for most of the night and usually had several hats hitting him when he did run the ball. The HC QB missed some shots later in the game but really threw some nice balls, just out of reach. One was a touchdown, but it got knocked out of the receivers hands at the goal line. Again, physicality of Pioneer. Pioneer was somewhat smaller sized across both lines. Pioneer also played about 9 guys both ways. You just felt like the HC RB could break one at any time, and he eventually did, but the Pioneer staff had him scouted very well. My 2 Cents.

good write up of Pioneer game from one of the officials.  I would agree with his assessment and add their were 2 forced fumbles inside Pioneer’s red zone that were huge. 

Pioneer was without their center and if they can ever get full team playing at same time would be huge for them.  Everybody deals with that but when you are depth challenged to begin with “next man up” mantra is difficult. 

Edited by RingLeader
Grammar

13 hours ago, from_the_sidelines007 said:

Week Six - Involving Hoosier North Athletic Conference Teams!

What say you for this week?

Friday, Sep. 22

as always, the game is better

from_the_sidelines007

I'll take Caston in the first one

I'll take Winamac in the second one

I'm going with Knox over Laville. The Lancers escaped with one last year over Knox. Not gonna happen this year. The honeymoon phase for the Lancers is over. Time to face some higher quality opponents. 

North Judson over South Central 

The last one I've gone back and forth with like crazy. Every time I watch Pioneer I feel liked they are improved from last year, but just not impressed with them. I say this and they just keep winning so what do I know. I'm gonna go with Triton but if you asked me 100 times it would be Triton 51 and Pioneer 49. If I were a gambling man I'd stay away from the moneyline and probably take the over in this game.

1 hour ago, FinePrint said:

There should be some good games this week!  At least one conference team will get their first win of the season.  And I wouldn't be surprised if it's two!  Here are your John Harrell predictions for this week:

jh PREDICTION: North White, 38-24.

jh PREDICTION: Winamac, 35-21.

jh PREDICTION: LaVille, 24-23.

jh PREDICTION: North Judson, 38-17.

jh PREDICTION: Pioneer, 28-21.

Curious as to where you were able to watch the pioneer Hammond game?

Ok so I watched the Pioneer/Hammond game last night!  We’ll 3 quarters of it.  That was enough to come up with my observations and opinions.  Pioneer does what they do and very well.  They run the wing t to perfection,  don’t turn the ball over and let the other team make the mistakes.  That’s exactly what Hammond did.  They fumbled 3 times that I saw, twice inside 15 yard line.  They had multiple offsides and false start penalties.  They walked back to line of scrimmage after a play was over not even huddling up most of the time.  The 9 fans that thought it was worth the drive to go see them play were probably disappointed in their effort.  Anyways that my 2 cents.  Pioneer is beatable for sure but you’d better know your assignments and be disciplined!

Caston @ North White- Vikings- The comets are getting better, but they're not there yet.

Culver @ Winamac- Warriors- In my opinion, this will be the only game that either of these teams can win this year.

Knox @ LaVille- Knox Football Team- I think that Knox's offense will be too much for the Lancers.

SCUM @ Judson- Jays- Coach Lambert will be getting the kids boosted back up this week after their lackluster performance against Winamac.

Triton @ Pioneer- Panthers- I'm not sure that either team has been fully healthy all season. There's a good chance Toloza doesn't play this Friday, which certainly doesn't help Pioneer. This Panther team is much grittier than last year's team and I think that if they can contain Shively (easier said than done) they will win. In my opinion, Shively is the best or second best overall player in the conference right up there with Plummer between what they offer at QB, DB and Kicker.

• Like 1

Caston/N White- N White- QB very athletic will be too much for Comets in a close game

Culver/Winamac- Winamac got better last week and if they'll get Jones the ball more they'll cruise in this one

Knox/Laville- Laville- Good game but i think Laville passing game will give Knox fits

S Central/Judson- Judson- Jays get back in win column

Triton/Pioneer- Pioneer- Young players have 5 games under belt now 

Caston at North White - Are Caston's Sr backers good enough to corral NW Sr QB Quasebarth?  According to MaxPreps he averages about 13 yards per carry and they put up a lot of points!  I'm guessing they'll slow him a little, but probably not enough to get a win over the 12th ranked Vikings.  Vikings 28-14

Culver at Winamac - Who gets their first win of 2023?  After watching the Cavaliers last Friday, I just can't imagine them beating anyone.  And apparently the Warriors put up a fight with the Jays.  I'm taking Winamac comfortably.  Warriors 34-13

Knox at LaVille - One of two good games this week!  The Lancers received a 1st place vote in the 2A AP poll this week.  Are they really that good?  I'm not convinced yet, but they can prove they belong closer to the top of 2A with a win this Friday night.  Two weeks ago I said the Knox / Judson game would determine the conference champion and I'm sticking to that.  Knox wins this one to solidify their place atop the strongly competitive HNAC.  Redskins 21-17

South Central at North Judson - Likely frustrated by their performance last week, the Jays will take it out on the Satellites this week.  SCUM isn't a bad football team, but they'll take a shellacking by a worked up North Judson team on Friday.  Is it homecoming night at North Judson-San Pierre High School this week?  If so, they'll celebrate with a big win.  Blue Jays 42-7

Triton at Pioneer - The second of the good games this week!  Both have shown signs of being in the upper ranks of the conference, but both teams have skeptics.  So which team is going to prove it belongs among the 1A top 10, and who ends up licking their wounds after this one?  I will be shocked if one team dominates this contest.  It should come down to execution versus mistakes.  Pioneer can be tough to stop when things are running smoothly!  Though I hope I'm wrong, I have to take the Panthers at home.  In Bourbon I take the Trojans.  In Royal Center it's Pioneer in a squeaker.  Panthers 21-20

Edited by FinePrint

20 minutes ago, FinePrint said:

Caston at North White - Are Caston's Sr backers good enough to corral NW Sr QB Quasebarth?  According to MaxPreps he averages about 13 yards per carry and they put up a lot of points!  I'm guessing they'll slow him a little, but probably not enough to get a win over the 12th ranked Vikings.  Vikings 28-14

Culver at Winamac - Who gets their first win of 2023?  After watching the Cavaliers last Friday, I just can't imagine them beating anyone.  And apparently the Warriors put up a fight with the Jays.  I'm taking Winamac comfortably.  Warriors 34-13

Knox at LaVille - One of two good games this week!  The Lancers received a 1st place vote in the 2A AP poll this week.  Are they really that good?  I'm not convinced yet, but they can prove they belong closer to the top of 2A with a win this Friday night.  Two weeks ago I said the Knox / Judson game would determine the conference champion and I'm sticking to that.  Knox wins this one to solidify their place atop the strongly competitive HNAC.  Redskins 21-17

South Central at North Judson - Likely frustrated by their performance last week, the Jays will take it out on the Satellites this week.  SCUM isn't a bad football team, but they'll take a shellacking by a worked up North Judson team on Friday.  Is it homecoming night at North Judson-San Pierre High School this week?  If so, they'll celebrate with a big win.  Blue Jays 42-7

Triton at Pioneer - The second of the good games this week!  Both have shown signs of being in the upper ranks of the conference, but both teams have skeptics.  So which team is going to prove it belongs among the 1A top 10, and who ends up licking their wounds after this one?  I will be shocked if one team dominates this contest.  It should come down to execution versus mistakes.  Pioneer can be tough to stop when things are running smoothly!  Though I hope I'm wrong, I have to take the Panthers at home.  In Bourbon I take the Trojans.  In Royal Center it's Pioneer in a squeaker.  Panthers 21-20

Which team is more likely to miss an extra point in the Triton/ Pioneer game?

1 hour ago, FarmerFran said:

In all fairness, on PATs, Rans is 13/16 (80%) and Shively is 7/10 (70%) per MaxPreps. Statistically, Workman is the best PAT kicker at 3/3 😄

That doesn't include the Culver game where I think Shively was 5/6 in the first half.  I don't think he kicked the PATs while the JV was playing the second half.  He's a skilled kicker!  Just a couple of lapses in concentration, I would guess.  But I wouldn't hesitate to run him out there for a 40+ yarder if the situation called for it.

• Like 1

Caston at North White

Old MWC foes. Caston has certainly gotten better as the year has progressed. On the flip side, who has North White really played? I do not doubt for one instance that North White has improved from last year and has put up numbers, but they haven't been battle tested. Caston is going to test the Vikings more so than their schedule has done for them thus far and what their schedule will do for them heading into sectionals. If Caston takes care of the ball and doesn't get down early, I can see this being a really good game. But they have to take care of the ball and start fast. The Comets get the upset here. Caston 22 North White 21

Culver at Winamac

Battle of the winless. Culver showed some grit last week against Triton and showed some signs of life. A big hit gave them a little juice and it was their mistakes that Triton was able to capitalize on to make it a rough night for the Cavs. On flip side, let's talk about these Warriors. Something tells me that no one is telling them they are better than what they are. I get that there is inexperience, but how in the world do you come out with that much fire and hold your rivals down for a solid 2-2.5 quarters? I don't know what the locker room is like, but if it took 5 games to find that grit, something tells me that there are choices being made on that team that was holding them back. Winamac 21 Culver 15

...Continuation of my last post

Knox at LaVille

For those wondering what is at stake right now for conference titles, there are some spicey what if factors that should be looked at. If LV wins, potential for outright with only NJSP being the potential dangerous game and sets up 3 way tie for 2nd (Knox, NJSP, and Triton or Pioneer). If Knox wins, sets up 3 way tie for 2nd (LV, NJSP, and Triton or Pioneer) with Knox's potential dangerous games being Triton and Pioneer. Not sure how I feel, but kind of want Knox to knowing that the odds are stacked against them. But I also like LV at home. Knox 28 LV 21

South Central at NJSP

SC has played a lot of like teams as they prepare to enter the HNAC next season. I think SC holds their ground defensively, but NJSP gets the best of them. I think the Jays will be making SC's QB run for his life most of the night. Jays 35 SC 10

Triton at Pioneer

Both teams knows what's at stake. I think Triton is getting back to full power and needed the blowout win last week to build their confidence heading into this week. Triton has had a lot of players step up for them over the last few weeks and made it known they are the future of the program. Based on what we have heard from Pioneer's injury report, it sounds like even younger guys are now going to have to step up and it could cost the Panthers offensively in this. Triton 35 Pioneer 21