Sign in to follow this  
mcgoo45

Bill Belichick

No Brady, No Gronk, No Nickovich, traded away best pass rusher (C. Jones), Make-shift o-line and none of it matters as long as Belichick is on the sideline.

I hate the Patriots, but the distance between their coach and everyone else is a chasm that makes the Grand Canyon look small.  That dude is freakin' unbelievable. 

• Upvote 4

He's the best and there's nobody else in the league even close. Especially when he has extra time to prepare. It's also important to note how good his coordinators are and how well they all work together to build a winning culture and game plans.

#InBillWeTrust

• Upvote 1

In modern day NFL, its all about the culture you create, that is his greatest achievement in my opinion.  To a man those Pats are all on the same page, when you are not, you get cut, he has made enough examples out of fringe players the stars stay straight.  Like any organization they have had their share of issues as no organization is completely immune to some of those items, but his ability to create that culture of selflessness and back it up by winning, it is truly fun to watch, much respect indeed.  

Besides his utilization of his roster, I think a lot of his success is due to his alternative thinking.  Everyone touts the NFL as a copy cat league, but he doesn't.  The small things like not giving a team a touch back on kick offs.  Since the rule change, he makes the other team return the kick, the putting the right personal on the coverage team, usually creating a longer field for the receiving team.  That is just one of many examples, loved seeing Vrable lined up at tight end back in the day.  I figured Houston would try that with Watt, he has tight end experience at the college level.  I guess NFL coaches are always so "on the bubble", they're afraid to try something unconventional .  I doubt anyone in the Patriots organization would question any of their coach's decision, no matter how absurd it sounds.  Success makes things easier in that case.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Herbemont said:

Besides his utilization of his roster, I think a lot of his success is due to his alternative thinking.  Everyone touts the NFL as a copy cat league, but he doesn't.  The small things like not giving a team a touch back on kick offs.  Since the rule change, he makes the other team return the kick, the putting the right personal on the coverage team, usually creating a longer field for the receiving team.  That is just one of many examples, loved seeing Vrable lined up at tight end back in the day.  I figured Houston would try that with Watt, he has tight end experience at the college level.  I guess NFL coaches are always so "on the bubble", they're afraid to try something unconventional .  I doubt anyone in the Patriots organization would question any of their coach's decision, no matter how absurd it sounds.  Success makes things easier in that case.

Got to give the man credit where credit is due. 

1 hour ago, scat said:

NFL network must see- A football Life Bill Belichick

Agreed, but perhaps even better is the "Do Your Job" special that they did on the 2014 Patriot team. You can find it on YouTube, well worth the 43 minutes

• Upvote 3

20 hours ago, scat said:

NFL network must see- A football Life Bill Belichick

20 hours ago, FishDuck said:

Agreed, but perhaps even better is the "Do Your Job" special that they did on the 2014 Patriot team. You can find it on YouTube, well worth the 43 minutes

Correct on both accounts.  

20 hours ago, FishDuck said:

If I had a penny for every time I said that phrase at practice....well, I would have a LOT of pennies.

• Upvote 3

He is a Johns Hopkins lacrosse fan like myself. Plus he has a Michigan Quarterback. What's not to like? Maybe he can take over my 49ers.

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 2:08 PM, FishDuck said:

Watched "Do Your Job" last night, very good.  Don't like the Patriots because they have taken care of the Colts but got to respect them.

On 9/15/2016 at 8:49 AM, FishDuck said:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/09/15/bill-belichick-says-short-kickoff-strategy-helped-the-patriots-win/

Here's a good example of his forward thinking and fully understanding the situation...Chuck Pagano take note

Couldn't have said it better.  Colts/Lions game, 37 seconds left, Colts kick a touch back.  Put that ball on the ground and get the clock moving,no matter how little time it eats up.  Colt's pitiful pass defense had Stafford looking like an All Pro all day it, wasn't gonna change on that drive.

22.1 % of ALL SUPER BOWLS have been coached by this man!!!   

INCREDIBLE 

It doesnt hurt that the league is heavily watered down with diluted talent and the competitive landscape around the Pats has eroded significantly.  It also helps that Belichick is the most anti "Bro Culture" guy in the league.  

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

It doesnt hurt that the league is heavily watered down with diluted talent and the competitive landscape around the Pats has eroded significantly.  It also helps that Belichick is the most anti "Bro Culture" guy in the league.  

Image result for broken record

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

33 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

Time to consolidate teams?? 1 team in LA? We could pair Indy and Chicago! Ya!!

• Haha 1

Belichick is the best coach there is. If I were hiring a coach, he would be alone at the top of the list. However, Tom Brady is also the best qb there is. Is it the tandem that keeps things going? Could Belichick do it without Brady? And conversely could Brady do it without Belichick? 

If you could only have one of them, who would you take? 

49 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I remember the year. Still if they have Brady that year do they win the 12th and a spot in the playoffs? 

I am definitely intrigued to see Belichick after Brady. 

Since people get old I don't think we can get a true Brady without Belichick but that would be fun as well. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, coachfields said:

Belichick is the best coach there is. If I were hiring a coach, he would be alone at the top of the list. However, Tom Brady is also the best qb there is. Is it the tandem that keeps things going? Could Belichick do it without Brady? And conversely could Brady do it without Belichick? 

Belichick hands down.  Brady's first Super Bowl sure wasn't won on his arm.  It was won on a lack of mistakes, clutch kicker and a tuck rule interpretation. People forget the quality of NE's defenses, especially during the first 2-3 Super Bowl runs.  

Look at Brady's resume prior to the NFL.  Look at Brady's combine videos.  He is very much a part of a system.  Doesn't mean he isn't great.  But imagine if Brady had been the Houston Texan's initial QB instead of David Carr??  I bet his career would look very different.  He's very fortunate to have been a 6th round draft pick of the Pats lead by Belichick.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Trojan Dad said:

Belichick hands down.  Brady's first Super Bowl sure wasn't won on his arm.  It was won on a lack of mistakes, clutch kicker and a tuck rule interpretation. People forget the quality of NE's defenses, especially during the first 2-3 Super Bowl runs.  

Look at Brady's resume prior to the NFL.  Look at Brady's combine videos.  He is very much a part of a system.  Doesn't mean he isn't great.  But imagine if Brady had been the Houston Texan's initial QB instead of David Carr??  I bet his career would look very different.  He's very fortunate to have been a 6th round draft pick of the Pats lead by Belichick.

I do love the fluidity of the Patriots teams during the Belichick/Brady reign. They have been able to win in many different ways but Brady has been a key factor in the winning even when they haven't been an offensive-centric team. 

I understand your point about Brady to Houston. We will never know though. We do know Belichick spent five years in Cleveland and had a completely different outcome. 1 playoff appearance in five years. I am not discounting Belichick's service in Cleveland. I am pointing that to say Brady's career would have been different had be been selected elsewhere applies also to Belichick's case as well. 

If I could only have one, I think I would go with Belichick as well because the longevity of a coach has the ability to go much longer than the longevity of a quarterback because at some point the QB gets too old to play. 

I do think that the Patriots would not be the Patriots if either piece was missing. 

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 7:57 AM, coachfields said:

Going to play devil's advocate here.  If he is THAT great, then why wasn't he successful at his previous HC job?  He is only as great as his "situation".  Let him take over the 49ers job or the Bears job and let's see how great really he is.  He has an owner that gives him what he wants and they both seem to be on the same page (and have been for a long time).  Remove that element, and he isn't in the "greatest"  conversation any more. If a coach is truly great, then he will succeed no matter what team he is running.  My feelings towards the Pats has always been this:  their scouting system is the greatest.  It isn't about Belichik or Brady.  Look at how many key guys they lose in FA (or injuries) year after year and yet they just "plug and play" with no real dropoff.  No, the REAL greatest is their scouts.  Best evaluators in the business.  That is how they stay on top and why they have played in so many AFC Championships and Super Bowls.  I would say that Pittsburgh is second greatest (scouting department).  That is what separates those 2 franchises from the rest of the league.

7 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

Going to play devil's advocate here.  If he is THAT great, then why wasn't he successful at his previous HC job?  He is only as great as his "situation".  Let him take over the 49ers job or the Bears job and let's see how great really he is.  He has an owner that gives him what he wants and they both seem to be on the same page (and have been for a long time).  Remove that element, and he isn't in the "greatest"  conversation any more. If a coach is truly great, then he will succeed no matter what team he is running.  My feelings towards the Pats has always been this:  their scouting system is the greatest.  It isn't about Belichik or Brady.  Look at how many key guys they lose in FA (or injuries) year after year and yet they just "plug and play" with no real dropoff.  No, the REAL greatest is their scouts.  Best evaluators in the business.  That is how they stay on top and why they have played in so many AFC Championships and Super Bowls.  I would say that Pittsburgh is second greatest (scouting department).  That is what separates those 2 franchises from the rest of the league.

I agree with what you are saying to a certain degree. I definitely over simplified things by including only Belichick and Brady in the tandem that creates success. The Patriots as a whole is a well oiled machine, but I don't think you can discount the major roles that both the Coach and the QB play in the success. I can't imagine that Belichick and Brady don't have some sort of say in who is drafted or brought in through free-agency if not complete veto power. 

The scouting and personnel departments are tremendous, but they have their own fair share of misses. If they were flawless, they wouldn't have chosen Brady as a sixth round pick. They wouldn't have missed on a guy like Chad "Ocho-cinco" Johnson. But I think Johnson is a good example of what they do well. When they realize they have made a mistake, they don't hang on and hope, they release the player and move on to the next best available. 

Even with the owner. Kraft is great, but he bypassed Belichick for his first choice when Parcells left and went with Pete Carroll. Carroll, who has been highly successful (maybe with an asterisk at USC because of shady business), wasn't great by any means with the Kraft as an owner. 

"If he is THAT great, then why wasn't he successful at his previous HC job?" Well a few things here: 

1. First I am not sure that we was completely unsuccessful. I think one could argue that he has been the most successful (at least by record) Browns coach since Marty Schottenheimer (so for almost 20 years). Although I don't love my own argument here because the Browns were moved to Baltimore and the Browns pre-Baltimore and post-Baltimore are hardly the same organization. 

2. He didn't have a franchise quarterback. This is where Brady comes in. I will admit he got a little lucky with Drew Bledsoe getting hurt in New England. Kraft and the community loved Bledsoe. I liked him myself. I am not sure he was a guy that could have taken the Pats over the top but he was a solid QB that had led them to a Super Bowl  and won a few games with the Bills and Cowboys after he left. 

3. He was much younger and more inexperienced. You live and you learn. I think the Cleveland experience made him more ready for the New England experience. 

I agree with the points you are making. I think the sum of all parts Patriots has allowed that franchise to be successful. I don't want to diminish the role of those beyond Belichick and Brady, but I just think if I were starting a team from scratch and I had the opportunity my HC would be Belichick and my QB would be Tom Brady? 

With ownership and scouting being the same (either terrible or excellent) if you were in charge of a coaching search is there a different head coach you would target? Is there a different quarterback you would rather have? 

Edited by coachfields