Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Sectional Draw 2023

Sectional of Death will have a doozy of a first game with Chatard and Tipp Valley.  Heights will likely have a safer path through the Valley of Death ... probably facing off against Chatard in the sectional championship game unless TV and Guerin have anything to say about it.

image.png.a2a8b9e4f56286234b419af77ab7e1f6.png

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Lysander said:

5A Sectional 12 has 3 teams in it.  

3 Teams….one of which is Snider (whom I admire)…but still..3 freakin’ teams.

I’m sorry but 5A as it stands today is a joke.

The reason for this is that Dwenger was moved to 4A early in the regular season for some reason

8 minutes ago, WestfieldRocks said:

Just like last year, 6A Sectional 4 has Westfield making that "long" four mile trip straight south on 31 to play at Carmel. Noblesville travels to Zionsville. If Westfield is in a sectional that also contains Carmel, odds are very good that they draw Carmel.

6A Sectional 3 has both Fishers and HSE going up north. Fishers goes to Homestead and HSE goes to FW Northrup.

Sectional 5 in 6A has the battle of powerhouses Brownsburg at Ben Davis. The winner gets to beat up on the winner of Avon at Pike.

6A Sectional 6 has Cathedral essentially drawing a bye as they host N. Central. LC goes to LN in the battle of Lawrence Township.

6A Sectional 7 has Perry Merdian going to Warren Central, while Southport travels to wherever Tech is playing this season.

6A Sectional 8 has Franklin Central going to Center Grove, while Jeffersonville goes to Columbus N.

6 hours ago, Basementbias said:

#SeedItAlready

It'll never happen. The IHSAA is to bullheaded to accept another idea that isn't their own. They should be ashamed of themselves and embarrassed. No way should Tipp Valley be playing Chatard in the first round. East Noble vs New Haven in round one has turned Sectional 19 into a joke. Then the winner squared off against Leo. This is lunacy. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Basementbias said:

#SeedItAlready

2 hours ago, BTF said:

It'll never happen. The IHSAA is to bullheaded to accept another idea that isn't their own. They should be ashamed of themselves and embarrassed. No way should Tipp Valley be playing Chatard in the first round. East Noble vs New Haven in round one has turned Sectional 19 into a joke. Then the winner squared off against Leo. This is lunacy. 

Seed the sectionals?! Are you insane?! Now why would the IHSAA give any merit to the regular season? Let everyone into the postseason and let everyone’s fates be determined by a machine!!! That’s the most fair!!! I think the real issue is that you guys want to take the fun out of it for the IHSAA by not allowing them to use their table tennis ball (not ping pong balls; it’s offensive) machine. They look forward to using that thing multiple times a year like any child would and the fact you guys want to take that away from them is un-Christian. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

• Like 1

The annual ping pong debate rears it’s ugly head again. If you want a rainbows and unicorns post, stop reading now. The archaic minions that run the IHSAA need to be retired and we need to usher in the 20th century 23 years too late. Seeing Brownsburg and Ben Davis playing in the first round while Arsenal and Pike play each to get to be the sacrificial lamb in the sectional title game is ludicrous. BTF already pointed out the 4A situation in the Fort Wayne area.

If this was the thought process in running a day to day business, you would be bankrupt and closing your doors. Why we keep spinning a wheel to do this makes no sense

2 hours ago, BTF said:

Just curious. Do you think that TV or BCHS got the shaft by not having seeded the teams? If it’s BCHS, I can assure you that they do not care who they play, the location or the round. If it is TV, would you just like to get to see them play and win few meaningless playoff games. The real “playoffs” don’t actually begin til Regionals. Sectionals are the participation trophy for all the teams. If they seeded the entire playoffs then that would encourage more teams to play super soft regular season schedules and disincentivize the regular season. You wouldn’t have seen top games during the season as each team would be looking to go undefeated. As much as some teams get the shaft each year during the playoffs wouldn’t you rather see great games during the regular season? As it is some of these 8-0 teams have schedules filled with uninspiring competition and will likely lose to teams with less impressive regular season records. 

If you really want seeded playoffs then the IHSAA needs to go to all Sectionals being at least 8 teams. 1A and 6A might have to expand. All teams play every team in their Sectional every year plus 3 or 4 at large games for a total of 10 (or 11) regular season games (this allows for 2-4 rivalry games a year that don’t count toward seeding). Winner of the Sectionals (only counting the head to head games) go to the playoffs. Everyone else goes home. Maybe Top 2 from each Sectional just to keep playoffs large.

Now every game is important. The downside is that a short term injury to a star player can eliminate a team from the “playoffs” by week 4 if all of their early season games are in the Sectional. 

Just my opinion but what do I know? My takes are usually the least educated ones on this site.

11 hours ago, BTF said:

Elaborate on that if you would.

Well for starters there is a 3-5 FW North team currently playing for a sectional championship without snapping the ball.

What about the gauntlet that is Sectional 14; best record 5-3 and combined records of 13-19

Hopefully Snider doesn't have an issue against 2-6 Anderson and 3-5 North to win a championship.

Mishawaka has a mediocre Concord team between them and hoisting a trophy

Thank the lord Merrillville has 18 D1 players to get by Morton or Hammond Central

5A is a joke

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Just a dad said:

If they seeded the entire playoffs then that would encourage more teams to play super soft regular season schedules and disincentivize the regular season. You wouldn’t have seen top games during the season as each team would be looking to go undefeated. As much as some teams get the shaft each year during the playoffs wouldn’t you rather see great games during the regular season? As it is some of these 8-0 teams have schedules filled with uninspiring competition and will likely lose to teams with less impressive regular season records. 

I will assure you that if the IHSAA used a rating formula such as Sagarin to seed the sectionals, teams with a softer SOS would get penalized more over the long run. There's a reason why 7-1 Warsaw is rated lower than 1-7 Avon. 

Agree with the seeding.  For example, looking at the sectionals with teams that I actually care about/follow, how the hell does does 1-6 Clinton Central draw a bye when 8-0 Park Tudor is also in the sectional?  And as been stated ad nauseam in this forum this kind of stuff makes the regular season essentially meaningless in regard to the state tournament.

Of course if you want a real competitive tournament you have to fix the issue of a 1-6 or 2-6 Clinton Central team getting rewarded with a tournament game in the first place.

Edited by Muda69

Could you do a hybrid seeding process, yes it will take more effort on the IHSAA's part but I think it will appease the fan bases. 

Seed the sectional, then based on sectional winners re-seed the regional matchups. 

Once you are in Semi-state it does not matter. At that point you either go with better record gets home field or you could go by Sagarin ratings. 

But Brownsburg v Ben Davis game 1 of the playoffs.. Come on....those two programs played amazing ball all year, to be ousted game 1....with the likes of 0-9 programs....that shouldn't be happening. 

I personally would prefer a fully seeded playoffs, idc how you seed it, but this nonsense of who gets homefield based on who played away or didnt....better seeded teams should be playing at home.  That is the benefit of playing a tough schedule and winning. 

Just now, BLACKGOLD2007 said:

Could you do a hybrid seeding process, yes it will take more effort on the IHSAA's part but I think it will appease the fan bases. 

Seed the sectional, then based on sectional winners re-seed the regional matchups. 

Once you are in Semi-state it does not matter. At that point you either go with better record gets home field or you could go by Sagarin ratings. 

But Brownsburg v Ben Davis game 1 of the playoffs.. Come on....those two programs played amazing ball all year, to be ousted game 1....with the likes of 0-9 programs....that shouldn't be happening. 

I personally would prefer a fully seeded playoffs, idc how you seed it, but this nonsense of who gets homefield based on who played away or didnt....better seeded teams should be playing at home.  That is the benefit of playing a tough schedule and winning. 

I agree, shouldn't be happening. but in the IHSAA's tried and true format, it's a cross we must bear.  But in a weird way, Lowell can almost breeze their way to their Sectional final.

9 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Agree with the seeding.  For example, looking at the sectionals with teams that I actually care about/follow, how the hell does does 1-6 Clinton Central draw a bye when 8-0 Park Tudor is also in the sectional?  And as been stated ad nauseam in this forum this kind of stuff makes the regular season essentially meaningless in regard to the state tournament.

Of course if you want a real competitive tournament you have to fix the issue of a 1-6 or 2-6 Clinton Central team getting rewarded with a tournament game in the first place.

I don't have an issue with everyone playing tournament ball. Just seed it properly and the issues take care of themselves... 

Does this mean the Indy domination of 6A continues in perpetuity? Yes, because it isn't going to end anytime soon.  But, Brownsburg and Ben Davis are not game 1 of the playoffs. When it should be the Semi-state game.